• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's depressing to see people instantly assume the worst when they hear "LOL OMG 5 PLAYTHROUGHS" and never stop to do any more research.

Why would they? Since when do you hear you have to do multiple playthroughs and not assume you'd, you know, play everything over again like in 99.999999999999% of games.

Nite is weird as fuck and over complicated on purpose but that's why it's so good but it's also why a lot of people are going to be confused about it.

You only have to play through the game once. It only finishes after you get ending E.

To think about the amount of people who would have dismissed the game after route A or halfway through B makes me sad. You're missing out on something truly special.

ZangBa

Because an ending implies just that - an ending. The end of the first route is not a satisfying conclusion because it's not meant to be. It's set up for the next act(s). When people hear there's five endings they'll think of how other RPGs handle it.

Every episode has an ending but it isn't the end of the series. The problem isn't that it's called an ending but how people are too stubborn to look at it at a different perspective, like most things in life.

It's also not confusing when you consider the game literally tells you after route A that the game isn't finished.

Alucrid

Banned
Not as bad, but still bad.

I'd rather watch the multiple endings on Youtube, that's what I'm doing right now. I refuse to play through the game a second time, I only game on weekends and I have at least another ten PS4 games sitting on my shelve.

And yeah, to add to that, I'm not really a big fan of Nier Automata. The last moments were awesome, but overall it was pretty boring. The combat system is too dull and uninspiring for me.

i don't really think it's nier automata's fault that you bought ten games that you haven't played

Hektor

Why would they? Since when do you hear you have to do multiple playthroughs and not assume you'd, you know, play everything over again like in 99.999999999999% of games.

Because the game is very clearly telling you at the end that this is not the case

Pooya

Route C is like the best part of the game too. For story beats and for gameplay. It's a whole different beast. You have all the cool stuff unlocked too by then. Route A is more like a prologue. Watching that and E on youtube is the dumbest thing one can do. I beat A I was like whatever, that's it? I mean you don't even get any answers to most of things it tells you about...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
At some point people could go out of their way to inform themselfs, especialy before rantng about it. There's literally even a message at the end of the game explaining it to you.

I don't blame people for being confused for something very unorthodox, however i will blame people who don't even want to inform themselfs, especially when they like OP refuse to listen to the explanations others have given ITT
OP listened and OP didn't care because they didn't like Nier all that much anyway, have very limited time to play games and has a huge backlog.

You can't force people to play Nier.

Zakalwe

Banned

Nite is weird as fuck and over complicated on purpose but that's why it's so good but it's also why a lot of people are going to be confused about it.

Why would you assume either way?

Why not google it and find out?

People saying Route C is "completely different" are being pretty disengenuous about what that playthrough is actually like. You're not going to like it, OP.

No, you're not going to play the same game all over again 4 times after the first ending.

There's mainly two main routes, but the first route is divided into two parts (ending A & B) and the 2nd route is basically one but with slightly different conclusion depending on what you choose in the end. You get ending C at first then you load the finished state save file to get ending D and finally E. You can get all C, D, and E ending within 30 minutes or so. Your main journey would be on finishing the ending A, B, and C which would take about 20-40 hours depending on how you tackle the side quests (they're mostly good).

Drewfonse

I just finished Nier Automata (Ending A) and apparently, I now have to play through the same game another 4 times to fully understand the story and experience the game?

F3X3khR.gif

Whose idea was that? I'm currently on my second playthrough but the repetition is boring me to death. And it's just the SECOND of FIVE playthroughs.

I'm sorry but I have other games to play.

Young adults are the target audience for Nier Automata, and as one of them, I certainly don't have time to play through the same game over and over again just to watch a bunch of extra scenes leading to different endings. The gameplay, the quests... the core of the game is the same no matter how many cosmestic changes you add to each play through.

And with all the praise the game got, especially here on GAF, I'm thinking that we are ok with developers hiding the real story behind multiple playthroughs?

Please tell me we are not.

At least you made it through once. That game bored the shit out me.

croten

Also ending E has no impact if you aren't playing it. That ending is all gameplay focused, in terms of story beats it doesn't do anything special but what it does from a mechanical and gameplay perspective is fantastic. Just watching it on youtube will do nothing for you.

At least you made it through once. That game bored the shit out me.

He didn't though

Jigorath

Banned
Keep hearing complaints about the gameplay in recent threads. Though it was supposed to be Platinum brilliance?

The combat system is basically a flashier version of Nier's combat. It looks nice but there's not all that much depth to the mechanics at the end of the day.

Anne

I did 100% completion for this game, and I like the B route quite a bit. I think the way they framed it was a mistake to some extent. The amount of new shit to discover and do in route B is actually pretty huge, and it gears you up for the second half of the game. They probably should've not done the normal credit sequence while making sure they pointed players towards all that shit in the second route.

The game actually respects quite a bit of your time and brings up some cool stuff with it. It's not perfect, but anybody saying route B is just a straight rehash is lying. They really should have set up expectations differently for that.

Aeana

People saying Route C is "completely different" are being pretty disengenuous about what that playthrough is actually like. You're not going to like it, OP.
It takes place after routes A and B and has a unique story, so in the context of a conversation about "replaying the same game five times," nobody is being disingenuous.

Hektor

OP listened and OP didn't care because they didn't like Nier all that much anyway, have very limited time to play games and has a huge backlog.

You can't force people to play Nier.

If OP didn't like Nier to begin with, why would he even make such a thread.

I'm not forcing anybody to play anything

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
And? If he didn't enjoy most of Route A, he's completely entitled to his opinion that the game is not good. What must he do to have a valid opinion of a video game, for you?

He made this thread seeking guidance whether the rest was worth it, given his previous experience, which was mostly bad.

I'm not saying his opinion isn't valid. He's got a right to enjoy what he wants based on his preferences.

It's just that -- especially given that he's peaced out of his own thread at this point -- it seems like he started this discussion primarily for the sake of posturing.

Timeaisis

I'm not saying his opinion isn't valid. He's got a right to enjoy what he wants based on his preferences.

It's just that -- especially given that he's peaced out of his own thread at this point -- it seems like he started this discussion primarily for the sake of posturing.

I'll give you that he probably should've put this in the OT. and not make a new thread. But I mean, when I hit where OP was at and noped out, I felt like communicating my frustration, too.

And with all the praise the game got, especially here on GAF, I'm thinking that we are ok with developers hiding the real story behind multiple playthroughs?

Please tell me we are not.

What's this crap? If you don't enjoy the game, fine. But there's no "hiding the real story" going on. Route B is similar, but it lets you experience things from a different perspective, learn things you didn't know before. Including new mechanics and new content.

It's an unconvential method for storytelling, but in no way an inherently bad one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The combat system is basically a flashier version of Nier's combat. It looks nice but there's not all that much depth to the mechanics at the end of the day.

There is depth but the game does have the problem of not properly challenging you enough to explore it fully. A rebalanced Hard mode would be pretty good for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0203jbYU0TI

Donguri's videos show you could do quite a bit with the system that is there.

Koozek

Wrong, OP.

Only Route B is mostly the same plot as A, but from another perspective with partially different gameplay and additional exposition. But you can go through it faster than before since you already know where to go and what to do. Route C, D, and E are totally different (D and E together are under an hour or so).

If you had to replay the whole game 5 times I wouldn't have finished it, lol, as I've always hated that in games. Automata is not like that. It just has a different structure. Think of the "endings" as chapters.

Arkeband

Banned
Each playthrough is unique and they take like 10-15 hours tops and there's only three, it's less assholish than Persona 5's NG+ asking you to dedicate another 80-100 hours. You can 100% Nier Automata within 50 hours.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'll give you that he probably should've put this in the OT. and not make a new thread. But I mean, when I hit where OP was at and noped out, I felt like communicating my frustration, too.

Hell, it's not even the opinion that frustrates me but more of the framing of the thread.

Had it been something like "LTTP: Nier Automata -- It's shit" or "Nier Automatas ending system is borked" then okay, let's see what we got here and let's talk.

But the way it goes about is "Hey guys, I have a question" and immediately "Doesn't matter. I don't care. Fuck that noise."

Hektor

To...talk about it? Isn't this the point of forums?

The point of forums is certainly not to rant about factually incorrect assumptions.

Furhtermore, OP is ranting about the idea of having to replay through a game, a game he apparently doesn't like.

Of course the idea of replaying through a game you didn't enjoy is going to be unfun and boring, what would there be to talk about

If OP where interested in talking about it he would... actually talk about it? Listen to posts pointing him out how incorrect he is and responding to those?

nOoblet16

Why make a new topic ? It's a knee jerk rant thread, because even if you spent a little bit of time looking into it you'd immediately know you are wrong.

I had the same doubt and I just asked in the OT and it got cleared up that I was wrong within minutes.

Aeana

What did I miss? OP said that he's on the second playthrough which means he's beaten the game once.
I believe the argument here is that you aren't on your second playthrough until you actually finish routes A-E and start over. Finishing route A does not complete a playthrough of Nier Automata.

That's like saying you're on your second playthrough of FF6 when you get to the World of Ruin.

He made this thread seeking guidance whether the rest was worth it, given his previous experience, which was mostly bad.

More like he was seeking some kind of confirmation for his rant, considering that 15 minutes after opening the thread he says he's already youtubing the game.

Top Bottom