• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

Luminaire

Y'all can stop summoning me.

I have read the posts, I have learned that you only have to replay the game once. I have already said that's not as shitty as I thought it was, but it's still shitty.

You said I'm not experiencing the whole game if I don't beat Ending C, well, that's the whole point of this thread!

The final content (or extra content, whatever you wanna call it) is still LOCKED behind a second play through. I have played the second campaign for about 2-3 hours and it's boring. Get over it. Most people here have agreed with me, and that was a bad design choice too. That's coming from fans of the game.

Yes, I said I didn't like the game that much, but I didn't say I hate it. I would love to play Ending C, especially because the character looks really interesting and I'm down for another 15 hours or whatever of Nier Automata, but not if I have to invest another 15 hours replaying through the first campaign.

And I was gone because I was eating!

You...do realize you do different things and see stuff from different perspectives in Route B, right? Route A and B together are kinda crucial for Route C, to learn the relationships of the characters and the general history/events of the world. You're not playing the exact same route or the exact same stuff in Route B. Besides, your quest completion carries over, new quests open up, and you get a new sense of the world and its inhabitants. Why do you even care about Route C and the story if you refuse to see the story from another persons perspective?

Sami+

People saying Route C is "completely different" are being pretty disengenuous about what that playthrough is actually like. You're not going to like it, OP.

No? Route C is completely different lol, wtf are you talking about

Edit - route b took me like 5 hours iirc. I skipped cutscenes I already saw and slowed down to enjoy the new stuff

LotusHD

Banned
To me, Route B was a mistake tbh.

Should have incorporated the 9S segments in route A, and kept it tighter.

Route B alone damped my take on the whole game, thankfully route C through E are not a retread.

Nier is a great game, but it could have been even better in my opinion.

Completely disagree tbh

Route B is best how it is, Honestly I feel that people just have a natural aversion to having to replay anything at all. Which is understandable, but I've never liked when people suggest this "fix" for Route B.

To just make Route A and B this one big thing would just make it entirely confusing, and likely have you wonder why the fuck you should care about the Route B exclusive cutscenes/info that's suddenly getting flung at you.

I have yet to agree with anyone's ideas on how to "fix" Route B, because well, it doesn't need fixing. Only thing I could say is that they could've made 9S more "exciting" to fight as I guess (Didn't have an issue with it myself), and that's pretty much it.

Try getting 100% enemy data. I'm being a bit snarky since you don't need it to get all the quests and trophies, but that spawn system is the definition of time waster.

I feel Route B in no way was disrespecting my time.
I mean technically aside from getting 4 (or did it require E as well?) of the endings, nothing is really required to get platinum the game
thank you trophy shop lol

You only play the game through once. You're just about 1/4 of the way through it.

The second route is not an entire 1:1 retread of Route A. It paints things in a different perspective and has gameplay changes that make it feel different. If it feels too slow, skip sidequests.

I'm not sure why someone would buy the game without intending to go beyond the point you are at. You've only scratched the surface.

sanstesy

I can completely understand stopping at Route B if the story isn't gripping you. Like I would have easily dropped this like a hot turd at the The Flooded City if I didn't play the original.

Zero315

Banned
Step 1 is realizing that people like different things and it's okay to accept that you won't like everything other people like.

I loved route B. I found hacking to be really fun and I missed it by the time I moved on to route C.
I liked route B more than A.

I have read the posts, I have learned that you only have to replay the game once. I have already said that's not as shitty as I thought it was, but it's still shitty.

You said I'm not experiencing the whole game if I don't beat Ending C, well, that's the whole point of this thread!

The final content (or extra content, whatever you wanna call it) is still LOCKED behind a second play through. I have played the second campaign for about 2-3 hours and it's boring. Get over it. Most people here have agreed with me, and that was a bad design choice too. That's coming from fans of the game.

Yes, I said I didn't like the game that much, but I didn't say I hate it. I would love to play Ending C, especially because the character looks really interesting and I'm down for another 15 hours or whatever of Nier Automata, but not if I have to invest another 15 hours replaying through the first campaign.

The whole game is roughly 30-40 hours. The second 'replay' if you can even call it that is half the length of route A, took me maybe 5 hours. Route C is almost as long as route A and is 100% new content.

Not as bad, but still bad.

I'd rather watch the multiple endings on Youtube, that's what I'm doing right now. I refuse to play through the game a second time, I only game on weekends and I have at least another ten PS4 games sitting on my shelve.

And yeah, to add to that, I'm not really a big fan of Nier Automata. The last moments were awesome, but overall it was pretty boring. The combat system is too dull and uninspiring for me.
Don't bother. The other endings won't make sense if you didn't actually play the other 80% of the game.

Sami+

Not as bad, but still bad.

I'd rather watch the multiple endings on Youtube, that's what I'm doing right now. I refuse to play through the game a second time, I only game on weekends and I have at least another ten PS4 games sitting on my shelve.

And yeah, to add to that, I'm not really a big fan of Nier Automata. The last moments were awesome, but overall it was pretty boring. The combat system is too dull and uninspiring for me.

Don't bother, it doesn't matter if you're not gonna actually understand the plot and characters at all.

Edit - fwiw I thought the framing of route B was a mistake. The game should have skipped ahead to Flooded City where the story diverges and saved like two/three hours. But it's not a big deal

I'm actually more pissed now than I was when I first created this thread. When I hit submit I didn't know that Ending C was all new content.

I'm really tempted to rush through Ending B, but the act of rushing through a game proves to me that I'm not having fun. And like I said, I could be using that time to play other games.

Ugh, bad design choices.

benzopil

Route B is so short, plus you can speedrun old sections so quickly, plus you see a lot of new stuff... I spent exactly 1 evening for B and had a great time.

Luminaire

I'm actually more pissed now than I was when I first created this thread. When I hit submit thread I didn't know Ending C was all new content.

I'm really tempted to rush through Ending B, but the act of rushing through a game proves to me that I'm not having fun.

Ugh, bad design choices.

Then stop playing it.

No one is forcing you to do it but yourself, and you're gonna go into it with a pissed off and shitty attitude. You'll likely hate the rest because you're carrying your frustrations from 'being forced' to play ending B. Just watch it on youtube so you can join in on the barking about games disrespecting your time and state design choices you don't like as being bad. If you're not enjoying the game, there's no point in playing it.

I'm actually more pissed now than I was when I first created this thread. When I hit submit I didn't know that Ending C was all new content.

I'm really tempted to rush through Ending B, but the act of rushing through a game proves to me that I'm not having fun. And like I said, I could be using that time to play other games.

Ugh, bad design choices.
Good Lord. If you're not enjoying it then stop. I don't understand this mindset some people have where they feel the need to finish a game like it's a job and they need to complete it before they can move on to the next job.

Ugh, bad design choices.
Don't bother. If you're not interested in the story than there's not much waiting for you in route C.

Edit: It's also not bad design. There's a purpose to it.

Crayon

Ugh, bad design choices.

You really need to go play something else.

Ugh, bad design choices.

You really should start playing route B and stop posting. You'll then realize that you've been wrong all this time.

You don't have to invest another 15 hours replaying through the first campaign, because you're not replaying the first campaign and it's not gonna be that long.

Just start playing and you'll get it.

Ugh, bad design choices.

It's worth it for the content later on, especially the penultimate ending E which would be an absolute waste to watch on youtube or something.
I wasn't much of a fan of route B either but it's way better than the systems in Nier and Drakengard, meaning that Taro is at least improving. Also it will teach you how to use the hacking minigame that will become very important later on.

And with all the praise the game got, especially here on GAF, I'm thinking that we are ok with developers hiding the real story behind multiple playthroughs?

Please tell me we are not.

When it's a good game, yes I am absolutely fine with it. Not my problem If you don't like paying good games.

Laws00

I'm whatever about it.

I thought it was 3 times?

I can't be fucked to play it right now. I beat it had fun with it. I just don't want to play as 9S....he's ok though just not right now

I got other games I got to play though like 100 hour persona 5

You sound very high maintenance op. Just think of them as chapters instead of endings. The endings are just a creative way of making them feel independent of each other. What you're calling locked content is normal gaming progression lol.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Having to play through the game five times, coming off playing 130 hours of Horizon Zero Dawn and bad release timing made the decision to pass on this game despite enjoying the demo an easy one.

convo

If we weren't so adamant about spoilers we could squash confusing statements like this pretty easily with a few words. People must play nice and not spoil the structure of the game but it doesn't serve this type of game well that does things differently.
I am a fan of knowing what the deal is right up front, mostly to make my game plan to efficiently complete the game since i don't have much time for it now. Thus i am much less hung up on the most "spiritual" way to engage games, spoil me all as long as it's not a visual novel with only text to go for it.

Uzzy

I agree with the OP. I watched Lord of the Rings the other day, but stopped when I discovered I'd have to watch the film THREE times! When I see credits I'm done, what a joke.

Having to play through the game five times, coming off playing 130 hours of Horizon Zero Dawn and bad release timing made the decision to pass on this game despite enjoying the demo an easy one.

Congrats, you've completely missed the point.

Game is made of:

Route A (20-25 Hours) -> Route B (8-10 Hours) -> Route C (8-10 Hours) - Ending D / Ending E (1 Hour Max)

Only route B covers ANY similar ground, and even then it's with new mechanics, events, reveals, etc.

okay stop playing it then

I stopped playing near the end of the second playthrough. Not only was it a 98% identical rehash, but the character you play as is terrible from a gameplay perspective. Their actual combat is gimped compared to 2B and the mini game, while cool at first, gets extremely repetitive. People say that the 3rd playthrough is a lot different, but honestly, I wasn't attached to the characters or the story enough to slog through the 2nd playthrough. Like you said, I have other games to play and I didn't feel that Nier respected my time.

Eumi

"I am going to get angry over what I assume a game I don't like is going to do, and ask why people are ok with this game doing this thing that I have just assumed it is going to do."

You can just not play a game you aren't enjoying you know?

I always feel weird for actually liking Route B. I like the hacking in this game, and the stuff you learn and see in Route B is really important, as well as some of the Route B only sidequests.

LotusHD

Banned
I always feel weird for actually liking Route B. I like the hacking in this game, and the stuff you learn and see in Route B is really important, as well as some of the Route B only sidequests.

You're not weird, I like it too. It's certainly a divisive route, but as usual, when people dislike something, they're going to be more vocal about it.

FFXV starts with a timeskip and then goes backwards, but as far as I can tell there is no menu option to go back to that timeskip, which is the worst kind of terrorism.

Nier Automata is in many ways a test of resolve and determination. If the idea of playing Route B is tedious to you then you definitely should quit immediately since the ending and the entire concept of the game would be wasted on you.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You don't start over 5 times though.

So people just don't read huh

Regardless of starting over or from a mid tier point, either way, once I read that there was five endings in the game, it lessened my interest in playing the game. Main factors was the release date and coming off of Horizon. Didn't want to play two games in a row where the main enemies are robots/mechs. Even if I played the game fully once, I would just youtube the other endings simply because after what im sure is 50 or so hours of gameplay, I would be done with the game either way.

Demoskinos

I'm sure this has been said already by multiple people but while they are technically all separate "endings" they can all be thought of as ends of chapters rather than actual playthroughs. Especially C,D and &E as C&D are just a binary choice at the end of route C and E is just the epilogue.

Also the game is incredibly short and your B and C runs shouldn't be that long all things considered especially if you ignore the side missions. But you do you. Just know you'll be missing one of the best games in years.

LotusHD

Banned
Regardless of starting over or from a mid tier point, either way, once I read that there was five endings in the game, it lessened my interest in playing the game. Main factors was the release date and coming off of Horizon. Didn't want to play two games in a row where the main enemies are robots/mechs. Even if I played the game fully once, I would just youtube the other endings simply because after what im sure is 50 or so hours of gameplay, I would be done with the game either way.

Um, ok...

Regardless of starting over or from a mid tier point, either way, once I read that there was five endings in the game, it lessened my interest in playing the game. Main factors was the release date and coming off of Horizon. Di
dn't want to play two games in a row where the main enemies are robots/mechs.
Even if I played the game fully once, I would just youtube the other endings simply because after what im sure is 50 or so hours of gameplay, I would be done with the game either way.

Nice spoiler bro.

Also, they're not endings, they're routes. Even then, there's only 3 routes and two endings.

You watch TV episodes to the credits multiple times but you don't complain and say "UGH I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW 13 MORE TIMES."

It's not replaying the same thing 5 times, not at all.

Hektor

It would take you fifty hours to get all the """endings"""

You are not starting over from the beginning, the midpoint or any other point. You're not starting over at all.

If you would youtube the other endings you would have to youtube literally 70% of the game.

Nice spoiler bro.

How is what he posted a spoiler lol?

Uzzy

I think it's vital for the plot and character development, and contains some of the most interesting scenes in the game. So you're not the only one.

Top Bottom