• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix working on "The Witcher" TV show

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/864788657160507393

5LeuIDm.jpg

thanks @lashman

Looks like Netflix is producing A Witcher TV show... Nice!

85519f896eae04539f6d7a9d3b3b39f46a1b81a66adc50f72bb4e52f5f3e3f71_1.gif

edit1:

http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-The_Witcher_Saga_On_Netflix

KonradLaw

http://biznes.interia.pl/news/ujawnienie-opoznionych-informacji-poufnych-o-przyjeciu-i,2516218

It's in Polish, so bassicaly:

- it's not yet done deal. Netflix has yet to make final decision. The deal just gives them access to full rights if they do

-If it will go ahead Platige Image (company responsible for Witcher CG trailers) will be involved as producers, special effects makers and Tomasz Baginski (the director of trailers) will direct some episodes.

-In return Platige Image won't use any of the rights they have to compete with this tv show.

Xando

-If it will go ahead Platige Image (company responsible for Witcher CG trailers) will be involved as producers, special effects makers and Tomasz Baginski (the director of trailers) will direct some episodes.

Would watch

what?!

Witcher trilogy is one of the GOAT games for me. I love the story and characters as well, I can't see this done particularly well unless Netflix gives it a huge Get Down-esque budget.

Which doesn't seem likely unless they are really gonna push this as their premier fantasy/GOT contender.

CloudWolf

I really, really hope this will follow the saga and not just be Random Contracts: The Series.

What? "That" Witcher? My Geralt witcher? Hmmm... Getting some real naked Triss.

If it follows the books, there's almost zero chance Triss will get naked
considering she has a huge scar across her chest and Geralt isn't that interested in her anyway.

KonradLaw

Isn't there already a (bad) witcher TV series?

Yeah, polish one :D It's a shame, because the actor actually fit the role really well. But even today Poland barely can make good tv show set in modern day. 15 years ago nobody had budget, experience and technology to do Witcher on polish tv.

It was worth it for the hilarious CG dragon though :D

As someone who has only played (And loved) 3, i look forward to seeing some more Geralt goodness.

Netflix just showing again how great they are.

Also, cant wait for some live action Yen :) *Edit: or not if this is animated:(

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh, so the deal isn't even finalized and this would be an animated show.

I'll still watch since It's The Witcher, if they even make it, but it not being live action kinda ruin the excitement I would normally have for this.

[edit]

Or maybe not? Did the other OP lie to me? 🤔

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Saoirse Ronan as Ciri. Please and thank you.

Edit:
Granted [Ciri may be younger], but there's no indication of timeline. Also, yeah, Saoirse wouldn't agree to nudity for the sake of nudity (in point of fact, she's done a couple of simulated sex scenes but no nudity), however I'd imagine the matter of Ciri getting her kit off is flexible rather than a requirement, to say nothing of the likely fact that some creative liberties are going to be taken, including with regard to adult content.

Characterisation is also important. Ciri was handled well in The Witcher 3, however Saoirse has spoken at length since doing Brooklyn about how important it is for women to portray strong characters rather than kowtowing or otherwise gravitating towards stereotypes and caricatures, so if Ciri were written as Geralt's damsel in distress, then, yeah, I couldn't imagine her being interested.

I should also note that my broaching of the idea wasn't some immature fanboy dream: in addition to what I've already said, Saoirse has mentioned that she's open to the idea of doing what people now tend to refer to as "prestige TV" (i.e. a limited-run series backed by strong creative talent).

CloudWolf

So, Sapkowski being positive about this means it definitely has nothing to do with the games, right?

Saoirse Ronan as Ciri. Please and thank you.
She's way too old, if they stay true to the books Ciri has to be 15-16 years old. Knowing television, they'll probably bump this up to 18 years considering some of the stuff she does in the books.

Seems like it might be live action and Platige will do the sfx, got some big names in there

http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-The_Witcher_Saga_On_Netflix
http://i.imgur.com/GRvm2xn.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

holy shiiiii. remain skeptical until I see footage but this could be awesome. would love if they incorporate the more serious aspects of the series too like how some of the races are treated for instance.

hopefully netflix doesn't cheap out on them. they throw plenty of cash to certain shows, this one should get a lot of it.

[quote="CloudWolf, post: 237101838"]So, Sapkowski being positive about this means it definitely has nothing to do with the games, right?
.[/QUOTE]

seems like the case. I wonder if this will be Netflix's attempt at having a flagship fantasy/sci fi property.

Not sure of live action or animated but they're a CG/animation firm. I guess we are a long way from hearing more on this (unless Netflix have upfront this week?)

KonradLaw

holy shiiiii. remain skeptical until I see footage but this could be awesome. would love if they incorporate the more serious aspects of the series too like how some of the races are treated for instance.

hopefully netflix doesn't cheap out on them. they throw plenty of cash to certain shows, this one should get a lot of it.

Netflix is the only one who could match HBO's GOT production values, so here's hoping.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Fans_war_face.gif

That's awesome news and that reminds me that I still have to read the books yet, which are just sitting in the bookshelf.

wrowa

Here's hoping Sapkowski signed a good deal this time around, so he can stop being so damn salty about the success of the games. :p Maybe some day he'll even be able to acknowedge that the games are responsible for the international popularity of his work, wouldn't that be nice.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, this definitely has great potential. Let's see what they do with it.

duckroll

Netflix is the only one who could match HBO's GOT production values, so here's hoping.

I think if they were going to spend GoT money on it, the lead production house would not be the Polish studio who did the Witcher cinematics. This seems like a home grown passion project rather than a Hollywood blockbuster deal.

Carn82

Ok, so 'source' seems to be Platige Image:

Platige is a (Polish) creative animation studio specializing in designing CG imagery, 3D animation, and digital special effects.

They also did some of the CGI promo / cutscenes for Witcher 3, including the intro:
https://youtu.be/c0i88t0Kacs
http://www.platige.com/en/page/476-The_Witcher_3_The_Trail

Interview with one of the rendering artists:
https://www.solidangle.com/news/witcher-3-wild-hunt/

In 2015 they were in talks to produce a Witcher 'movie' that would serve as the starting point of a series:

http://platige.com/en/page/659-Sdc_Work_With_Tomek_Baginski

05/11/2015
The Sean Daniel Company [SDC], an established American production company - known for ‘The Mummy' franchise, a new adaptation of ‘Ben-Hur', which is currently in production, or the television series ‘The Expanse' – has become Platige Films' official partner in the preparation of the production of a full-length feature film about Geralt the witcher, the hero of Andrzej Sapkowski's novels. The film will be based on themes from the short stories ‘The Witcher' and ‘Lesser Evil' from ‘The Last Wish' collection. Tomasz Bagiński, who had been nominated for an Oscar for his film, ‘The Cathedral', will be the director.

Andrzej Sapkowski's novels are conquering international fantasy book markets and his short story collection, ‘The Last Wish', had been placed on the New York Times bestseller list. The hero created by Sapkowski, Geralt the witcher, is a monster hunter with superhuman abilities. He is a creature suspended between two worlds – the human and the magical. The Witcher saga is already being compared to the hugely popular ‘Game of Thrones'.

The film will be an introduction to the Witcher's world and is planned to be the beginning of a series. Thania St. John, an experienced Hollywood scriptwriter, author of such television productions as ‘Grimm', ‘Chicago Fire' and ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer', is working on the script as well as on its film and television continuation.

The film is intended for international distribution, its world premiere is planned for 2017. Jarosław Sawko and Piotr Sikora will be the producers from Platige Films' side and Sean Daniel and Jason Brown from the SDC's side.

They also did this pretty cool short for the ESA's Rossetta Mission, I've seen it before: http://www.platige.com/en/page/474-Ambition_Film

Cromat

Yes! Knew this would happen sooner or later. The world and characters would be wasted without a TV/film adaptation. They can adapt nuch of the games as is (Bloody Baron, Heart of Stone...) because the writing is fantastic.

KonradLaw

I think if they were going to spend GoT money on it, the lead production house would not be the Polish studio who did the Witcher cinematics. This seems like a home grown passion project rather than a Hollywood blockbuster deal.

It's not Platige that's making it. They will just be involved as one of producers, handle some effects etc.
It seems the actual production company will be Sean Daniel Company and considering the're making Expanse, I think they're up to the task.

UrbanRats

what?!

Witcher trilogy is one of the GOAT games for me. I love the story and characters as well, I can't see this done particularly well unless Netflix gives it a huge Get Down-esque budget.

Which doesn't seem likely unless they are really gonna push this as their premier fantasy/GOT contender.
That would be... oh, that would be sweet.

Marco Polo was pretty pricey, no?

Top Bottom