• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

"currently no plans" does not mean "not happening."

MHW is taking the forefront, that's obvious. I plan to grab MHW on PC myself. I doubt highly Capcom isn't going to hedge their bets with Double Cross. That's totally not like them.

EDarkness

For the second, hedging their bets. The Switch XX port has a real possibility of out selling World in Japan.

Not sure how that's gonna happen. Japanese folks know now that the PS4 version is coming and this is basically the end of the NS version because the real marketing dollars/yen are going to be spent on MH: World. As a player, why would people invest in this? It would be better to wait for the main event next year. Not sure how the NS can outsell the PS4 version considering the situation.

tuffy

"currently no plans" does not mean "not happening."

MHW is taking the forefront, that's obvious. I plan to grab MHW on PC myself. I doubt highly Capcom isn't going to hedge their bets with Double Cross. That's totally not like them.
The game is literally titled "Double Cross", after all.

its disappointing that there will be no localization but I will just buy the Japanese version day one then. its quite soon and I have two switches and coop with my wife will be awesome.
Not sure how that's gonna happen. Japanese folks know now that the PS4 version is coming and this is basically the end of the NS version because the real marketing dollars/yen are going to be spent on MH: World. As a player, why would people invest in this? It would be better to wait for the main event next year. Not sure how the NS can outsell the PS4 version considering the situation.

because MH is still a portable franchise and people might want to keep playing it via local lan rather than over online?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
its disappointing that there will be no localization but I will just buy the Japanese version day one then. its quite soon and I have two switches and coop with my wife will be awesome.

because MH is still a portable franchise and people might want to keep playing it via local lan rather than over online?

And the Switch is the best consoles ever for local lan...

Not to mention it's a completely different game.

EDarkness

But the game is already out on the 3DS, so it's not a new game at all. Just a port of the 3DS version. They can still play the game locally using the 3DS. The NS version isn't needed at all...unless you're just hellbent on playing on that system for some reason.

Its sales must be pretty close. Wiki says 960k in Japan as of December 2009, and 1.9m worldwide as of June 2012. Though Tri's sales overall were a big step down from the PSP entries, as I recall.

which is exactly I would be baffled if capcom would make MH Worlds and not make another game on portable.

MH:W will outsell XX:HD because XX:HD is an HD version of an expansion of a game that sold like 3 million units.

That's literally it.

But the game is already out on the 3DS, so it's not a new game at all. Just a port of the 3DS version. They can still play the game locally using the 3DS. The NS version isn't needed at all...unless you're just hellbent on playing on that system for some reason.

XX is not available in the west on 3DS.

Edit - Maybe you were talking about Japanese consumers.

better image quality is a reason for me also there will be a lot of switch players once splatoon 2 hits. MHXX would cater exactly to those people and I am sure nintendo and capcom will market the hell out of it. dont forget it also has a bundle already announced.
MH:W will outsell XX:HD because XX:HD is an HD version of an expansion of a game that sold like 3 million units.

That's literally it.

1,5 million
Is that deal confirmed? I assumed it was debunked since it's also coming to Xbox.

well the rumor explicitly said that xbox one was okay because it is not a factor in japan. still seems not very trustworthy. it also said it will be MH5... so

You're strangely determined to tell people they shouldn't want it. And XX isnt out on 3ds in the west so you're wrong.

EDarkness

XX is not available in the west on 3DS.

And neither is the NS version of MH XX. I just feel like the HD version of XX was sent out to die. Though, it would be funny if that game ultimately sold more in Japan than Worlds on the PS4.

You're strangely determined to tell people they shouldn't want it. And XX isnt out on 3ds in the west so you're wrong.

Wait, where are you getting that from? People can buy the game they want. I was under the impression we were looking at marketability of the NS version compared to the main game which will undoubtedly be Monster Hunter: World.

The one game I wanted to see localized that seemed like a clear cut thing.

What a fuckin' world.

we live in a world where 2 metroid games can get announced but the localization of a series thats been doing well in the west due to Nintendo's help isn't coming out here

im not sure if i should be happy or sad about this timeline

I have no words to describe how PISSED I am right now.

Fuck Capcom TWICE.

Ugh disgusting piece of shit company.

Sony better not have a role in this.

Will import MHXX and practice my Japanese. <3

And neither is the NS version of MH XX. I just feel like the HD version of XX was sent out to die. Though, it would be funny if that game ultimately sold more in Japan than Worlds on the PS4.

It probably won't, simply for the fact that XX is a port that many will have already played. I wouldn't expect it to break a million on Switch.

I think World will probably sell around a million on PS4 in Japan.

it has a bundle. capcom will at least sell out those so dont worry about capcom recouping their porting money

tuffy

which is exactly I would be baffled if capcom would make MH Worlds and not make another game on portable.
It does seem like more portable Japanese Switch Monster Hunter games are inevitable if only because of how dead consoles have been in Japan for ages and how the Switch is poised to take off as a 3DS replacement. But having both a portable and console series running concurrently and one branch going un-localized would be the most awkward thing imaginable.

The Hermit

That's terrible news.

:(

Edit: not buying Worlds now, this is bulshit. I am fucking pissed.

I might import XX, but I will wait a bit.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
This is was my take on World and MHXX before we knew that MHXX isnt getting localized:

MHXX looks like a rushed port to me, as even Wii U's MHU3 had updated fonts, that the Switch port lacks.

If Capcom was laser-focused on a takeover of the west with the MH franchise, a PC sku is very important and Capcom has been the best Japanese developer to support the PC. So, why is the PC sku delayed? I would think that World was indeed the future of MH, and PC is a lesser platform in Japan. But then, Capcom (among others) were caught by surprise by the initial success of the Switch and the less than stellar performance of the Ps4 in Japan and scrambled to put a MH there in order to not burn that bridge.

HeeHo

I think it's way too early for the extreme negative reactions. Maybe Capcom is purposely baiting Nintendo into helping pay to bring it over?

It would be absolutely baffling to never release a game in a region where videogame software sells the best, on a platform in it's earliest stages where it could easily be noticed and easily sell above and beyond localization costs.

EDarkness

it has a bundle. capcom will at least sell out those so dont worry about capcom recouping their porting money

Depends. I'll be very curious to see how Monster Hunter XX fares in light of this new information. Of course they're going to sell the bundles. It's hard as hell to get a system there right now anyway. You can bet there will be a PS4 bundle, too. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom kinda half-heartedly supports XX on the NS going forward. It's just token support and not the main course for them.

If they wont localize XX I can see a backlash.
They burned a bridge with Nintendo and its fans.

Hmmm...I doubt they'll care that much.

Goronmon

Neo Member
Imagine how people didn't have Wiis or 3DSs felt.
It is funny to hear some of this irrational anger from people who are either younger or haven't been gaming very long.

Major franchises have jumped across platforms since the beginning of video games. It's just one of those things you have to deal with, and it's also why you don't buy systems assuming that follow-up titles will stick to the same platform.

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot?

Of course. I mean, the Monster Hunter series never recovered back when it switched from Sony to Nintendo, right?

Depends. I'll be very curious to see how Monster Hunter XX fares in light of this new information. Of course they're going to sell the bundles. It's hard as hell to get a system there right now anyway. You can bet there will be a PS4 bundle, too. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom kinda half-heartedly supports XX on the NS going forward. It's just token support and not the main course for them.

You seem to have grand expectations for World in Japan. It's not going to sell much past a million units.

I think it's way too early for the extreme negative reactions. Maybe Capcom is purposely baiting Nintendo into helping pay to bring it over?

It would be absolutely baffling to never release a game in a region where videogame software sells the best, on a platform in it's earliest stages where it could easily be noticed and easily sell above and beyond localization costs.

Hasn't Nintendo been helping with marketing in the West for this series? Really what more could they have done.

not many people check all the internet news about games. many just see commercials and buy games or dont. switch is a hot system right now in japan and splatoon 2 will just further drive sales and end of august is perfect for capcom to aim at those gamers that just bought splatoon 2

Top Bottom