• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

Eteric Rice said:
I don't think that tech demo was even made by Square. : /

Uh, what about the statement about how the FF XIII-PS2 team stopped what they were working on to do that demo, then changed their target platform for the game in response?

cw_sasuke said:
no, i just gotta improve my english writing skills... ok for u ?

it has nothing to do with your writing skills.

For one thing you said "back then nobody could could see what will happen in 07". Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we are only two and a half weeks into '07 and we still don't have a clue "what will happen in 07."

Another bit of breaking news is that FFXIII isn't on the PS2, as you previously mentioned. It's on PS3. Yes it is... and either way I don't see how it's "a financial risk" at all. The PS3, after two months on the market, has sold faster than PS1, PS2, and 360. Why people get the crazy ****ing notion that because Sony magically got plenty of units out to retail (and it's actually the first console system to have an abundance readily available since probably the SNES) it's automatically some monumental disaster is beyond me. Wait... never-mind... no it's not. A ton of people want to see Sony fail more than they'd rather see the second coming of Jesus.
But FFXIII is considered by many PS3's most promising, most phenomenal looking game. It will sell systems... and the good news is by the time it releases (mid-late '08 maybe?), PS3 should be more price-friendly for those holding out for price drops.

I know you probably want to believe that Square-Enix should move each and every one of their projects to the DS and Wii, but it's not going to happen. Sorry.

Eteric Rice said:
I don't think that tech demo was even made by Square. : /

You are confusing that with Killzone.

FFVII PS3 tech demo was created by Kitase's Division 1 on the new, fandangled White Engine. It's been stated many, many times.

Ceb

Zefah said:
In this month's Famitsu issue there was an interview with 4 Square-Enix guys and they said this announcement was just the beginning of their plans for the 20th anniversary. In fact at the very end of the interview Shinji Hashimoto (one of the Square-Enix guys being interviewed) said that they planned to "cause quite a commotion [with further announcements] sometime in April or beyond."

Let's see...

FF Haerasis XIII 360
FFVIIr PS3
FFIV-FFVIr PSP
FFXIV Online PS3/360

:D

Zefah said:
In this month's Famitsu issue there was an interview with 4 Square-Enix guys and they said this announcement was just the beginning of their plans for the 20th anniversary. In fact at the very end of the interview Shinji Hashimoto (one of the Square-Enix guys being interviewed) said that they planned to "cause quite a commotion [with further announcements] sometime in April or beyond."

Ugh damnit... I hate it when companies say shit like "oh hell yeah, we have a ZOMGWTFMEGATON announcement to make, but you have to wait for like 4 months lolz". It only builds up hype, which I guess is a good thing for them but if the announcement is lackluster than it's nothing but broken dreams. :<

Oh well. Plz be for DS, more SE DS support is always good.

wazoo

Considering the budget involved, the likelihood of a DS game is always high.

I bet that all their DS games cost less than FF Crisis Core, not even talking about their home console games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cvxfreak said:
I think PS2 sales in Japan alone in its first two months trump the PS3's in two regions in the last two months.

That's what I said in one of the other threads, but it got closed. :/

Fady K said:
So what? Its still true.

That's the goofiest thing I've seen you post yet, and you've got some whoppers under your belt. "That's fine that it's misleading!" :lol

It's technically true in the US, though by only about 100k units, and ignoring the fact that the PS2 (by virtue of launching a month earlier) went on to sell 600k+ in its third month, a feat that there is no possible way the PS3 will duplicate with Christmas over.

It's dramatically not true in Japan, where the PS3 still hasn't caught up to the PS2's first week, and the difference in Japan is bigger than that 100k margin in the US, so it's not true worldwide either.

(It's also technically true in terms of units shipped, but that's BS because (a) PS2 didn't launch in US and Japan at the same time and (b) shipped units are essentially meaningless for software publishers, who want to see sold through units that they can sell software to.)

EDIT:

Fady K said:
I know, i was referring to the US market though.

Fady K

charlequin said:
That's the goofiest thing I've seen you post yet, and you've got some whoppers under your belt. "That's fine that it's misleading!" :lol

It's technically true in the US, though by only about 100k units, and ignoring the fact that the PS2 (by virtue of launching a month earlier) went on to sell 600k+ in its third month, a feat that there is no possible way the PS3 will duplicate with Christmas over.

It's dramatically not true in Japan, where the PS3 still hasn't caught up to the PS2's first week, and the difference in Japan is bigger than that 100k margin in the US, so it's not true worldwide either.

(It's also technically true in terms of units shipped, but that's BS because (a) PS2 didn't launch in US and Japan at the same time and (b) shipped units are essentially meaningless for software publishers, who want to see sold through units that they can sell software to.)

EDIT:

:lol So what if its the Japanese thread? I was talking about what Jolly Corner was talking about - US PS3s - which you responded to saying that its misleading statistics. And i said its true that it sold better than PSX, PS2, 360 at the same time in the US. Thats all. I didnt say anything about how much PS3 will sell later, and whether it sells that 600,000 or not in its third month is not close to my point. Of course it wont, when its at least 200 bucks more, and when there are two other new consoles that are considerably cheaper. This is all too obvious, unless - Sony does sell 600k.

charlequin said:

Peace

neo2046

Late late late !!
Late famitsu scans :p

Rogue Galaxy DC

Sekaiju DS / Layton DS / Harvest Moon Wii

more coming~~

ethelred

Etrian Odyssey and Professor Layton both look incredibly hot. Thanks much, Neo, as usual! :D

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Is Layton an adventure type game?

Yes. Prof. Layton is a graphic adventure game. It has brain teasers as puzzles, designed by a guy who's written numerous books of those.

DarienA said:
Rogue Galaxy Director's Cut... already!??!?!

It's for the stuff being added in the US edition.

neo2046

Gyakuten Saiban 4 DS / Shining Wind PS2 /

unknown Musou game ad (2nd week) / Dragon Shadow Spell ad / etc

Bomberman Land PSP / Bomberman Story DS / Cryon Shinchan DS / Custom Beat Battle: Draglade DS

fresquito

ethelred said:
Etrian Odyssey and Professor Layton both look incredibly hot. Thanks much, Neo, as usual! :D
Indeed. The art for both is really good. Etrian is a dungeon crawler, isn't it? And Layton what? a point and click adventure?

ethelred

fresquito said:
Indeed. The art for both is really good. Etrian is a dungeon crawler, isn't it? And Layton what? a point and click adventure?

This is Etrian Odyssey.

Basically, yes, it's a dungeon crawling RPG, but there's a lot more that's cool to it beyond that.

fresquito

ethelred said:
This is Etrian Odyssey.

Basically, yes, it's a dungeon crawling RPG, but there's a lot more that's cool to it beyond that.
I've checked that topic a few times in the last days. However, I can't make up my mind whether the game could be good for someone that doesn't particulary like levelling up (just done in a few Castlevania games and maybe some other).

It looks so cool that is tempting to no end >_<

jarrod

Banned
Bo130 said:
Bomberman Story doesn't look as good as I'd hoped :( It has Wi-Fi, though :)
It's quite a step up from the GBA original actually. I dunno I'm excited... then again, I'm never one to turn down an overhead ARPG. :D

farnham

Banned
yet another Mousou..

Wow

Sangoku
Sengoku
Gundam

now what..???

koei is miling mousou to death... well maybe itll sell the millions it always does..

Brak

Prof. Layton looks unbelievably awesome.

This is what 2D gaming should have been doing on the PS2, GCN, and XBX.

Hopefully the DS and PSP can keep up the 2D renaissance.

TreIII

I'm personally hoping, after last week's lil expose on how Mistwalker's ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat, is supposedly in the last spurt of development, that they may actually have pictures, a release date...SOMETHING MORE on the game that we've otherwise heard nothing about since October 2005!

KTallguy

Banned
Avalon said:
Didn't it [FF3 DS] almost break a million in Japan alone?

Sorry, I just noticed replies to my old post.

I could have sworn that I heard it didn't do THAT well in JP. But obviously, almost a mil is plenty good. But didn't people expect it to do better?

On a side note, I've talked to lots of Japanese people that prefer the old 2D style when playing older games like DQ and the older FF games (I know, anecdotal evidence FTL). I showed some non-hardcore people vids for DQVIII and they were like "it should be in 2D"...

I played FF3 a little bit and found it fun but a little grating. I didn't like the pace of the battles. One of the joys of playing FF6 on GBA is that even though there are a lot of random battles, they are usually over in less than 10 seconds. When you hit 'attack' the attack comes out nice and quickly.

KTallguy said:
I could have sworn that I heard it didn't do THAT well in JP. But obviously, almost a mil is plenty good. But didn't people expect it to do better?

Who gives a shit about what people expected? It did better than what Square-Enix expected and that's what truly matters.

Dascu

TreIII said:
I'm personally hoping, after last week's lil expose on how Mistwalker's ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat, is supposedly in the last spurt of development, that they may actually have pictures, a release date...SOMETHING MORE on the game that we've otherwise heard nothing about since October 2005!
QFT.
If it's so far in development, then it's damn time to start showing something about the game.

KTallguy

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Who gives a shit about what people expected? It did better than what Square-Enix expected and that's what truly matters.

Really? I didn't know Square expected it to do that poorly...

I think what truly matters is if people enjoyed the game, which, they must have, if it sold almost a million copies.

KTallguy said:
Really? I didn't know Square expected it to do that poorly...

Square-Enix didn't expect it do "poorly", they just didn't expect it to do as well as it did.

Selling close to a million copies of an old FF remake is simply amazing. Stop trying to downplay its success.

KTallguy

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Square-Enix didn't expect it do "poorly", they just didn't expect it to do as well as it did.

Selling close to a million copies of an old FF remake is simply amazing. Stop trying to downplay its success.

LOL, dude. I'm not downplaying anything. It's a good game. It deserves to sell. Relax.

Back on topic:

I'm very interested in Layton. Does anyone know if Nintendo intends to publish it themselves?

jarrod

Banned
I could see Nintendo picking up Layton... Trace Memory was a small hit for them and Hotel Dusk is getting a pretty positive early reception critically. If not Nintendo though, I'm sure there's other interested parties (ie: Atlus).

Arika's involved in it's development though, so maybe it'd interest Capcom (whose Pheonix Wright games are doing pretty well themselves).

Question: Who the hell is that kid in Gyakuten Saiban 4 DS?
Don't tell me Phoenix Wright is getting replaced. :(

The Unknown Musou game makes me really curious. I'd love to see them branch out and try new eras/themes/whatever. I'm guessing Medieval era as that would seem an easy choice(King Arthur, The Knights of the Round, etc).

Oh and DS news is always nice.
As far as the PSP is concerned however. Balthier in FFT and remakes of FF1 & FF2 really make me wonder what the hell Square is thinking.

farnham

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Question: Who the hell is that kid in Gyakuten Saiban 4 DS?
Don't tell me Phoenix Wright is getting replaced. :(

The Unknown Musou game makes me really curious. I'd love to see them branch out and try new eras/themes/whatever. I'm guessing Medieval era as that would seem an easy choice(King Arthur, The Knights of the Round, etc).

Oh and DS news is always nice.
As far as the PSP is concerned however. Balthier in FFT and remakes of FF1 & FF2 really make me wonder what the hell Square is thinking.

you forgot Blade Storm for PS3.. right..? its basically a mousou game in medieval europe (100 war.. France Vs. England)

farnham said:
you forgot Blade Storm for PS3.. right..? its basically a mousou game in medieval europe (100 war.. France Vs. England)

All I remember from that is that it looked ugly as hell...must have been an early 5% complete beta or something.

The new Musou will probably be based in some sort of Eastern mythology I imagine, one I'm not at all familiar with. Really wondering about the scythe though, I imagine it's held by some LuBu-esque monster.

just thought of something, what if the new musou game is like a gothic musou, like, castlevania zombies vampires, and werewolves and knights and shit, only musou-ized

MoxManiac

I'm dying to know what the unknown musou game is for PS2. I wonder if it'll be all original? I'm under the impression it's not DW or SW.

Top Bottom