• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reassessing the Switch's lineup post-spotlight

Scoops

Banned
Here's the notables. Release dates are North American. Let me know what I'm missing:

Arms - June 16
Cave Story + - June 20
Splatoon 2 - July 21
Sonic Mania - August 15
Monster Hunter XX - August 25 (Japan only)
Rabbids x. Mario: Kingdom Battle - August 29
NBA 2K8 - September 19
Pokken DX - September 22
FIFA '18 - September 29
Fire Emblem Warriors - Fall
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Fall
Super Mario Odyssey - October 27
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Holiday
Sonic Forces - Holiday
Rocket League - Holiday
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Holiday
Rayman Legends: Defintive Edition - Holiday
Payday 2 - Holiday
The Legend of Zelda: The Champions Ballad (DLC) - Holiday

Yoshi Switch - 2018
Kirby Switch - 2018

Pokemon RPG for Switch- TBA
Metroid Prime 4 - TBA
Fire Emblem for Switch - TBA
No More Heroes 3 - TBA
Shin Megami Tensei Switch - TBA
Project Octopath Traveler - TBA

Plus all of the indies.

So is this enough to justify owning a Switch? What more would they need in order to convince you?

Also, is the fact that Nintendo only has to develop for one platform instead of two look like it's paying off in this lineup yet? (yes I know there's still 3DS games coming)

Magwik

Banned
Much better than the Wii U's lineup. Spread out well too. I'd expect to see a lot more at TGS, but for a first year it's good.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There are two games that I am interested in for the rest of the year, I don't count the Zelda DLC.

Put 110 hours into Zelda, over 60 in MK8 Deluxe and loved the ARMS Testpunch so much that it's a day 1 for me, so I can confidently say that it's been a great purchase. Mario was one of the highlights of E3 as well.

Its a really solid lineup but not enough to get me to buy one yet. The only game that I am interested in is Mario Odyssey out of that list, it looks amazing and a must play game like The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc.

If Nintendo can get 2-3 games of that quality tier out next year I'll buy a switch, otherwise keep waiting.

Isn't FE Switch a 2018 title?

Anyways, yeah, this line-up is amazing. I'm sure Smash and Animal Crossing are somewhere along in the pipeline as well, and if it gets big third party games like Beyond Good and Evil 2, then I really don't see how anyone could say "the Switch has no games" again with a straight face.

hiim_haz

Banned
I've had something to play on mine since I got it at launch. It's the happiest I've been with a platform in the first year. Yeah it's not getting some big third party stuff, but it's got a solid lineup of it's own. My other platforms will fill that gap.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In for Splat 2 and Mario.

Kinda ehhh on everything else.

Hyped for some of the downloadable stuff though, but Nintendo didn't focus on that at E3.

Arms - June 16
Cave Story+ - June 20
Splatoon 2 - July 21
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - August 29
Pokken DX - September 22

Sonic Forces - Holiday
Rocket League - Holiday
Payday 2 - Holiday

Yoshi Switch - 2018
Kirby Switch - 2018

Pokemon RPG for Switch - TBA
Metroid Prime 4 - TBA
No More Heroes 3 - TBA
Bold are games I'm buying and italics are games I'm interested in. Can't wait.

hongcha

Why do you list MHXX -japan only- in a list of North American release dates?

I'll buy SMO and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, that's it for me this year.

Servbot24

Banned
It's very adequate for a Nintendo fan. Two issues:

- For people who are willing to try every Nintendo game this is a great lineup, but some people just want certain games. I don't think that Switch is viable as an only console if you have specific tastes. For example I only want Zelda and Mario Odyssey this year. I have PS4 for the bulk of my gaming so that's fine, but it would be irritating if I only had Switch. That's the flaw with having no 3rd party support (don't care personally, since I have the PS4 for that).
- Nintendo is known for supporting the first few years then a couple years of famine. They'll have to prove otherwise over time.

nynt9

Here's the notables. Release dates are North American. Let me know what I'm missing:

Arms - June 16
* Cave Story + - June 20
Splatoon 2 - July 21
* Sonic Mania - August 15
* Monster Hunter XX - August 25 (Japan only)
* NBA 2K8 - September 19
* Pokken DX - September 22
* FIFA '18 - September 29
* Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Fall
* The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Holiday
* Sonic Forces - Holiday
* Rocket League - Holiday
* Rayman Legends: Defintive Edition - Holiday
* Payday 2 - Holiday
The Legend of Zelda: The Champions Ballad - Holiday

Yoshi Switch - 2018
Kirby Switch - 2018

Metroid Prime 4 - TBA
No More Heroes 3 - TBA

Plus all of the indies.

So is this enough to justify owning a Switch? What more would they need in order to convince you?

Also, is the fact that Nintendo only has to develop for one platform instead of two look like it's paying off in this lineup yet? (yes I know there's still 3DS games coming)

I have a switch so maybe this question isn't for me, but the games I highlighted with an asterisk are games available on other platforms (even if some of these are enhanced ports). That might be a factor for a potential buyer.

Also what the poster above me said. A lot of the exclusives appeal to different groups.

Arzehn

I want to want a Switch, there's just only Odyssey that I'm interested in remaining for this year. Better versions of 3rd party stuff can be found on other platforms.

XX is Japan only for now, Pokemon and Metroid a long ways away still, will probably be a revision before those drop.

No rush yet.

The 1st party output is getting there, it's certainly better than 1st year Wii U, but the 3rd party support is still beyond dire. I don't expect to see that change until mid-late next year after a successful Christmas though.

diaspora

Arms - June 16
Cave Story + - June 20
Splatoon 2 - July 21
Sonic Mania - August 15
Monster Hunter XX - August 25 (Japan only)
NBA 2K18 - September 19
Pokken DX - September 22
FIFA '18 - September 29
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Holiday
Sonic Forces - Holiday
Rocket League - Holiday
Payday 2 - Holiday

Yoshi Switch - 2018
Kirby Switch - 2018

Metroid Prime 4 - TBA
No More Heroes 3 - TBA

Plus all of the indies.

In for the bolded.

Gator86

Already beat BotW and there's nothing else interesting aside from Mario Odyssey with a concrete date, for me. I'm in for MP4 release day.

Yado

Don't know what the Pokemon rpg and Prime 4 look like so no. I consider BOTW to be the only must-have so far.

Oersted

It's very adequate for a Nintendo fan. Two issues:

- For people who are willing to try every Nintendo game this is a great lineup, but some people just want certain games. I don't think that Switch is viable as an only console if you have specific tastes. For example I only want Zelda and Mario Odyssey this year. I have PS4 for the bulk of my gaming so that's fine, but it would be irritating if I only had Switch.
- Nintendo is known for supporting the first few years then a couple years of famine. They'll have to prove otherwise over time.

Meanwhile we had people bitching for months that Nintendo still supports 3DS.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think the Switch lineup is fantastic but padding your list with year old ports and DLC doesn't really help.

Alienfan

It's still pretty terrible in all honesty. Outside of Mario, it's mostly all a unknown quantity from Nintendo. Now the console is selling well, hopefully they greenlight some new risker stuff

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So is this enough to justify owning a Switch?
748399.jpg

You had me at Rocket League.

Splatoon 2 - July 21
Sonic Mania - August 15
Sonic Forces - Holiday
Kirby Switch - 2018
Metroid Prime 4 - TBA

Bolded is THE game that will finally push me to buy a switch, all the others on the list have my interest a lot

dakun

pretty weak tbh. For me it's just the two Mario games and Fire Emblem this year

I'm glad i use Switch as a second console because that's not enough to get me over the year.

Ogodei

2018 is still a bit of a questionmark, but they've undoubtedly sealed 2017 holiday as a strong push for them if they can get the supply chain together. They've got something for everybody across all regions and most player niches.

2018 has Yoshi and Kirby only. Metroid Prime 4 is 50/50, but is also importantly not that huge of a game (all-time record for the Metroid franchise is under 3 million units still). Pokemon will probably take a while if it's Game Freak's first bite at the HD apple, but that depends on how much resources are being spent on Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon and how heavy into development they are.

You've got a bit of the goods looking forward, but populating that 2018 lineup is going to be critical.

Galang

Banned
The first party titles are insane. Will be getting a Switch when Mario Odyssey drops surely. Crazy that they have 2018 largely under wraps too. I bet we're in for some great stuff next year

Aki-at

It's a lineup that's preaching to the converted but nothing will change someone's opinion if they didn't want a Switch beforehand.

Will probably grab one in mid to late 2018, want to see when Metroid drops first. Great quantity and quality of local multiplayer games on offer.

Top Bottom