• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reassessing the Switch's lineup post-spotlight

PetrCobra

Still waiting for 3rd parties to wake up. I mean, I'm sure they are wide awake by now, and it's just that anything they'll be bringing to the console will simply take a bit longer to prepare, but the silence, man, it's deafening. Maybe they just don't want to piss off the Nintendo fans with early promises they won't be able to deliver on (as always) and are quietly waiting until they're able to do things right... but that seems almost too sensible for our industry's suits. At the very least, surely not all of them have that much understanding of how this works. Maybe it's Nintendo telling them how to do it this time. I don't really understand what is going on. It's probably just a complete lack of interest in that part of the market. That would be more familiar.

Getting Arms, Rabbids...

and was hoping to hear about more indies, kinda surprised we didn't.

I also expected a quick indies teaser but I'm guessing we will get an indies direct before the holidays.

Lots of great indies like Pocket Rumble, Stardew Valley, Wargroove, Hollow Night, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Shakedown Hawaii, Owlboy, etc...

Xenoblade X was used as a tentpole holiday release in 2015 (december 4) So the Xenoblade series has clearly reached "Tentpole" Status.

You can't really compare Wil U 2015 to Switch 2017. SMO could easily be the big November title, but it isn't and I'm just wondering why.

Shang

Arms - June 16
Splatoon 2 - July 21
Sonic Mania - August 15
Rabbids x. Mario: Kingdom Battle - August 29
Super Mario Odyssey - October 27
The Legend of Zelda: The Champions Ballad (DLC) - Holiday

Yoshi Switch - 2018
Kirby Switch - 2018

Metroid Prime 4 - TBA

This is the stuff I'm almost certainly gonna buy, so yes I'm totally satisfied

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Honestly, the lack of AAA 3rd party games, no Super Smash, The Last Story (remake or a new one) and a new color console might was me.

Moondrop

Banned
Reasons to buy a Switch:
Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Pleasant surprises:
ARMS
Metroid Prime 4

Stuff you can get elsewhere but if you haven't yet will be fun:
Rocket League
Skyrim
Mario Kart

No regrets here.

GamerJM

Banned
I generally don't like this phrase but that looks like quality over quantity to me. Not a whole lot, but I want to buy a large percentage of it, and basically everything I do want looks fantastic. After the Wii U I guess I've kind of gotten over Nintendo consoles not having much in the way of third-party support (Gamecube and Wii had their own level of third-party support even if it wasn't really on par with the competition).

ducksauce

Zelda, the Rabbids games and Odyssey are all I'm interested in right now. Maybe Splatoon 2 but it needs to have a good single player campaign for me to care about it. Those 3 games may be enough to finally pull the trigger though.

Edit: Anybody got a list of indies coming to Switch? Have any new ones announced at E3 so far?

Still waiting for 3rd parties to wake up. I mean, I'm sure they are wide awake by now, and it's just that anything they'll be bringing to the console will simply take a bit longer to prepare, but the silence, man, it's deafening. Maybe they just don't want to piss off the Nintendo fans with early promises they won't be able to deliver on (as always) and are quietly waiting until they're able to do things right... but that seems almost too sensible for our industry's suits. At the very least, surely not all of them have that much understanding of how this works. Maybe it's Nintendo telling them how to do it this time. I don't really understand what is going on. It's probably just a complete lack of interest in that part of the market. That would be more familiar.

Eh, games take time before they get to the announcement stage. I'm sure there are third-party games that were only greenlit after launch based on sales, but I wouldn't expect them to be announced until 2018.

That said, don't expect Switch to start getting AAA multiplats by the truckload, ever.

No complaints here. Personally, I am reeeally wanting for some smash. Switch port. Melee. 64?!? Fuck. Anything. Even Brawl. Can't wait for Mario, and that Rabbids games looks real interesting. Should also be great as the announced indie games start coming out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I put my money on summer 2019. Imagen al the Pokemon battles in the Sun.

Eh they said it was over a year away which aligns with holiday 2018. Summer 2019 would be over 2 years away.

Nothings set in stone but still. It seems like thats what theyre aiming for.

Brofield

I'm already been sold, but I'm looking at these games to pre-order for the 20% discount

Arms - June 16
Splatoon 2 - July 21
Rabbids x. Mario: Kingdom Battle - August 29
Pokken DX - September 22
Super Mario Odyssey - October 27
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Holiday

I already have the Switch, the other games I'll be picking up are either digital or wait and see.

I love that I can get ARMS in on the pre-order deal as long as I do it before the end of the 15th

120v

i was hoping for some out of left field stuff. like something you could never imagine nintendo or a 3rd party working on

but the day is young, lineup is "healthy" enough

Eh, games take time before they get to the announcement stage. I'm sure there are third-party games that were only greenlit after launch based on sales, but I wouldn't expect them to be announced until 2018.

That said, don't expect Switch to start getting AAA multiplats by the truckload, ever.

Especially from Western Developers.

Library's growing nicely. Still waiting on SMT or Animal Crossing and the first revision until I get mine, but once those checkboxes are ticked, I'll have no anxiety about the library.

I was vaguely interested in Arms and BOTW, but I wasn't sold on the Switch. However, now that I've seen Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 gameplay, and knowing Metroid Prime 4 is coming, hell yeah! Also, my wife went nuts when she saw the new Kirby game.

Air

Banned
Will buy

-splatoon 2
-mario and rabbits
-Mario oddessy
-wargroove

I have zelda, shovel Knight and disgea. Lot of great stuff for the system

dadjumper

It's looking great! I'm really keen on Mario Odyssey, Monster Hunter XX and the Zelda DLC, and cautiously interested in Splatoon 2, Rabbids x Mario, Sonic Mania, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade. Justifying my purchase which I was already happy with.

I have a ps4 in addition to the switch so don't need a high output of games but there's enough great games already announced and feel justified being an early adopter with the planned games. Only question is if they will be able to squeeze another zelda game in the switch lifetime.

Nesther

I have a ps4 in addition to the switch so don't need a high output of games but there's enough great games already announced and feel justified being an early adopter with the planned games. Only question is if they will be able to squeeze another zelda game in the switch lifetime.

A top-down Zelda or something of that sort, for sure.

UberTag

Easily the best first year for any new gaming console since the Dreamcast.
I have zero complaints.

Hopefully the rest of Japan steps up with their support before they kill all of their handheld franchises by trying to force feed them into a PS4 owning audience that could give a rat's ass about them.

Looking like Sonic and possibly Xenoblade for me. Maybe Mario and Splatoon. Keeping an eye out for those indies though.

List def is improving over what was originally thought to be a dry year. Switch owners should be real happy.

balgajo

About multiplatforms, do we already have some numbers about how Switch compares to og Xbox one in terms of power?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
As a launch buyer, the Switch has felt pretty barren. Mine has been more or less unused since I finished Zelda and Specter of Torment back in April. Mario Kart isn't my cup of tea, so there has been almost nothing to play.

I'm moderately interested in ARMS. It looks good, but I'm not sure it justifies $60 based on reviews... Then the next thing I'm looking forward to is Splatoon 2, which looks amazing. And Hollow Knight whenever they get around to porting it.

After that, Mario: Odyssey is basically THE game for me this Holiday. It looks incredible, and I can't wait to play it. But then there's not really much else...

Mario + Rabbids looks... interesting? But I can't stand the Rabbids and I wish the cross-over had been just anything else.

Other than that... Xenoblade 2 looks like hot garbage (story and character design wise)

No interest in Fire Emblem Warriors.

I'll probably buy Rocket League just to play in bed...

Too many games, too little money, though honestly that also goes for PC games after this E3.

In for Arms, Splatoon, Mario, Xenoblade (even though I still havent finished either of the last two) and Sonic Forces.

And some indies to tide me inbetween.
And maybe Rabbids just because its so much better than expected and the devs seemed so passionate about it, but I really don't like Rabbids.

Really good year altogether for a console.

Already have mine after a fair few hours put into it already (Zelda+Mario Kart).

The weird thing is, I see myself picking up 60%> of these games on day 1.

Metroid Prime 4 really seals the deal though. That along with Shin Megami, Fire Emblem proper and Pokemon. This console has a bright future.

Square should be committing more though. A new Crystal Chronicles down the line wouldn't be a stretch surely?

Pineapple

The lineup is absolutely ridiculous for a console in its first year. Major props to Nintendo, they're just killing it right now.

Top Bottom