• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reassessing the Switch's lineup post-spotlight

Maxinas

Its Heaven for a Nintendo fan that's for sure. Lots of good third parties here and there, and i'm sure there will be more revealed before the end of the year.

linkboy

It's very adequate for a Nintendo fan. Two issues:

- For people who are willing to try every Nintendo game this is a great lineup, but some people just want certain games. I don't think that Switch is viable as an only console if you have specific tastes. For example I only want Zelda and Mario Odyssey this year. I have PS4 for the bulk of my gaming so that's fine, but it would be irritating if I only had Switch. That's the flaw with having no 3rd party support (don't care personally, since I have the PS4 for that).
- Nintendo is known for supporting the first few years then a couple years of famine. They'll have to prove otherwise over time.

This is why having all their developers on one system is critical (which they have, a lot of the recent 3DS games have been outsourced).

Since they no longer have to deal with the split user bases, they can put their combined effort into the Switch.

bounchfx

IMO, indies alone more than justify the switch this year. All the mainline titles are just a bonus to me. Also, holy shit, they're bringing Rayman Legends to Switch? That's awesome.

I mean fuck, Rocket League alone justifies the console UNFFFF

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think its a really really solid first 9 months. Slow start but the pace is really about to pick up. Not that much 3rd party stuff, but what is there seems to be pretty high quality (FIFA, Skyrim, Rocket League, MarioxRabbids).

Still need more 3rd party stuff next year.

It's a really solid year, possibly the best one I have ever seen on a console launch.

Though I really, REALLY wish Square ENIX would add Seiken Densetsu collection (western release) to that list

Ponn

Banned
Theres four games i'm interested in for the rest of this year

Mario x Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2

I may be convinced of Pokken but i'm not a huge fighting game fan and that game has never stood out to me. Either way thats actually a good enough selection of games for me to want to pick up for any console so i'm happy. There might even be some indies released for it as a surprise, when is Bloodstained coming out? If they can get Metroid out and that SMT game next year I would be satisfied. A new FE game next year would be icing on the cake.

edit: Shit forget about Skyrim!! I'm wanting to get back into that because I fucking loved that game but then it all went to hell late game on the PS3 and Bethesda didn't give two shits about PS3 owners.

I really want some release dates for some of the "nindies".

Where are Stardew Valley, Enter the Gungeon, Rime, Steamworld Dig 2, Runner 3, Shakedown Hawaii, etc??

Bolded is THE game that will finally push me to buy a switch, all the others on the list have my interest a lot

Omega Kirby
(Today, 07:55 PM)

Kirby Switch - 2018

1317_emoji_iphone_thinking_face.png

Actually I was expecting more third party support. I also don't think Fall schedule is that ace. At least not currently. I hope a few more 3rd party games are announced.

Pokken, Rabbids, Fifa, Rocket League, skyrim, and Mario are all great.

Verdict is still out on NBA, Xeno, dragonball and FE Warriors.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The first party titles are insane. Will be getting a Switch when Mario Odyssey drops surely. Crazy that they have 2018 largely under wraps too. I bet we're in for some great stuff next year

We already know about at least 5 titles:

Fire Emblem RPG
Metroid Prime 4
Yoshi
Kirby
Pokemon RPG

Servbot24

Banned
This is why having all their developers on one system is critical (which they have, a lot of the recent 3DS games have been outsourced).

Since they no longer have to deal with the split user bases, they can put their combined effort into the Switch.

Agreed, I'm quite optimistic, enough to have bought a Switch anyways. But even so, the follow through isn't always easy so I'm hoping to see the final proof for it a few years from now.

Ogodei

Nintendo really needs an anchor game for 2018, either Mario Kart or Smash Bros. Animal Crossing might do in a pinch (though it didn't help much for 2008).

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
In terms of first party releases, I don't think you could do much better than a new Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and new IP in one year. Add on the rest of the games they've got coming this year and it's pretty darn good I'd say.

However, that's just first party. Other systems enjoy much better third party support. The problem is that porting games to the Switch is likely going to take much more effort than PC/PS4/X1. Devs would need to put in the extra work, or simply release games built from the ground up for Switch. That's something Nintendo will have to continue to work on, and hopefully they'll be able to achieve an acceptable amount of third party releases soon. With the current momentum of the Switch, I have high hopes.

Soul_Pie

MP4 will probably push me over the edge once that releases.

I would've bought one straight away if Samus Returns was on Switch.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nintendo really needs an anchor game for 2018, either Mario Kart or Smash Bros. Animal Crossing might do in a pinch (though it didn't help much for 2008).

Pokemons gonna be their big holiday 2018 title, calling it now.

Permanently A

Seriously high quality line up. I'm still not getting a switch just yet, but that's more due to availability issues than anything.

linkboy

We really don't have an idea how long Metroid has been in development, and Pokemon could make it next year as well.

Pokemon by itself would own that holiday season.

I'm still wondering whether FEW and/or Xenoblade 2 are really their "big" Switch releases for the last two months of the year.

Mario Odyssey releases on the 27th of Oct, that's pretty much the last two months of the year. Combine that game with the two you mentioned and it's looking good.

Griss

The lack of proper 3rd party support really leaps out at you.

If you're a hardcore 1st party Nintendo fan, that'll look good to you. But if it's just a genre or two that you like and you want multiple games in specific genres then you're shit out of luck.

Poyunch

After Undertale was announced for Vita/PS4 I was sorta hoping we'd get a Switch announcement too. That would have been the best news for me, personally.

Metalmarc

I needs me

Super Mario Maker
Smash Bros
Animal Crossing for my gf
NHL (unlikely as it didn't even show at E3 conferences at all)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Fighting Game thats newish (not SF2)
Something Mario Spinoff new like Captain Toad or Mario + Rabbids, oreferalbky Waluigi for a change
Star Wars Rogue Leader new or Gamecube reworking
More 3rd party games
VC games

Missing several smaller games that I'm also interested in like Battle Chasers, Redout, Fate Extella, etc...

Not sure if Rayman Legends, Steep, Rime, etc... are still coming this year but last we heard they were I believe.

It's still pretty terrible in all honesty. Outside of Mario, it's mostly all a unknown quantity from Nintendo. Now the console is selling well, hopefully they greenlight some new risker stuff

Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pokken, and Fire Emblem Warriors aren't really unknown quantities. In fact, pretty much only Arms (which many people have played) and Mario x Rabbids are really remotely unknown.

Skyzard

Banned
No, not yet. I made that mistake with the WiiU - buying it before I really wanted to (probably neogaf's influence).

Odysee seems good but not a system seller for me. Rocket league would be nice to have handheld.

I think they're making a mistake by not showing off more indies. Local multiplayer is a big reason to get one and there are a lot of decent titles that could come out, some already announced that wouldn't have been bad to remind people off.

Hopefully by the next hardware revision. Though, if most of the interesting upcoming titles are WiiU games, not so much. If that's the case, I'll probably be waiting a long time and pick it up for cheap, if at all. I play my WiiU as a handheld, not worth the cost to upgrade and rebuy the titles + online just for a nicer screen, though it would have been nice.

Wish I never bought the WiiU tbh, Switch would be more up my alley. Hopefully in a few revisions it'll work out.

jdstorm

Banned
Payday Devs won bigtime. Being the only shooter on Switch with a key holiday slot. They are going to make a huge amount of money.

There is a rumor that Overwatch is coming to Switch.

Mercury steam pitched a 2d Metroid for both 3ds and Wii U in 2015, allegedly. Metroid comes out for Sept 15 for 3ds. Mario is October.

Does anyone think there is a chance 2d Metroid gets announced in early October with a December release date for Switch? After 3ds gets its initial sales for Metroid.

Of course they are. What else would be? I doubt they're going to announce any other major ffirst party games for Q4.

You may be right, but FEW and XB2 are not tentpole holiday releases by any reasonable standard and it would be weird not to have any bigger game in November.

There is a rumor that Overwatch is coming to Switch.

Mercury steam pitched a 2d Metroid for both 3ds and Wii U in 2015, allegedly. Metroid comes out for Sept 15 for 3ds. Mario is October.

Does anyone think there is a chance 2d Metroid gets announced in early October with a December release date for Switch? After 3ds gets its initial sales for Metroid.
No Metroid isn't coming to Switch. Wait for Prime 4.

Takat

Getting Arms, Rabbids...

and was hoping to hear about more indies, kinda surprised we didn't.

But maybe they are saving them for a direct, after E3, so they'll have a chance to shine.

Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, and Mario Odyssey are the must-haves for me this year, which is pretty great in my opinion. A third-person shooter, a strategy RPG, and a 3D platformer as the essentials for the second half of a year sounds pretty good to me. I already have Zelda, Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Kamiko, Mr Shifty, and Snipperclips, which makes this easily the biggest year-one library of games I've owned. Also knowing some of the heavy-hitters we have coming up in the next year or two like Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon, Metroid Prime, and Fire Emblem, it makes me pretty confident that the Switch will have a good lineup going forward past 2017 and that Nintendo realizes the Switch is a system people are responding well to.

This is only the first year too, it absolutely blows 3DS and Wii U out of the water comparatively. I think they're doing well to develop software and have a steady stream of amazing games, and hope it continues.

jdstorm

Banned
You may be right, but FEW and XB2 are not tentpole holiday releases by any reasonable standard and it would be weird not to have any bigger game in November.

Xenoblade X was used as a tentpole holiday release in 2015 (december 4) So the Xenoblade series has clearly reached "Tentpole" Status.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm actually excited about more than one game now. I'm excited about 2 games now!

Top Bottom