• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times You've Double Dipped on a Game Because You Didn't Know You Already Owned It

I recently accidentally bought a physical copy of Uncharted Collection for PS4, not realizing I already owned a digital copy from a previous flash sale.

Any times you all have done this?

Zerin

I've bought games on sale on Steam I forgot I owned because I bought them elsewhere. Wish I could say I've only done that once.

Chrono Trigger on DS after forgetting that I already bought it on Wii Virtual Console. I also bought it again on Vita...so I own it thrice now, and I've never actually played the game.

13ruce

Banned
A link to the past owned it already on wii u and bought it on n3ds again.

Well i like the more pixel peefect look on it tho...

Jimrpg

Yeah i own Shadow of the Colossus 3 times.

Once on PS2, then I bought the HD version on PS3. Then I got the digital version on PS3 having forgotten i got the hard copy. I felt pretty stupid!

I still haven't started the game yet because I wanted to finish Ico first, but I could never play it longer than a few hours.

I also got The Last Guardian on sale which I havent played yet. It's all GAF's fault.

ViolentP

Number would be pretty high if Steam didn't prevent you from buying a game for yourself that you already own.

I've definitely started to, but whatever respective store I'm on (usually Steam in this case) always warns me that I already own it before I do.

stuminus3

I tried to buy Modern Warfare 3 on Steam sale only to discover not only did I already own it, I had actually already beaten it. Not sure if that says more about Call of Duty or about me.

Guevara

I don't think I've ever done that, but I was surprised to find I already bought The Order: 1886 when it was real cheap earlier this year.

Nheco

I have 3k games on Steam, there are shit that I want to play but I don't even know that I already had it, so yes.

Usobuko

Banned
NieR
Dragon Dogma
Danganropa
Persona 4 Golden
Tales of Xillia 2
Okami

Are some of my extra physical copies because I lost track of what I had bought.

Once. Halo 5 as I had a sudden urge to play some warzone and arena matches. Looked on the shelve. Couldn't find my copy so presumed I traded it in so I went down to my local store and purchased another copy. Got back home, went to put it on my shelve and discovered that I didn't trade in my previous copy. Just somehow misplaced it on my shelve. Least I got my money back.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Mostly PSN, XBLA games. I would get a game again forgetting I already had it on another system.

It got so bad I had to make an Excel sheet to keep track of what I had. Disc and digital games.

Thats one problem with having more than 1 console platform.

tsab

I did that a few of times with disc-based sales before realizing I have it (but didn't play it yet)
That's when I started using backloggery to keep track of my games

I think it may have happened once, and it's almost happened several times. I remember wanting to play the Trails in the Sky series after Cold Steel, and I went to buy it while it was on sale only to realize I had bought it a year ago.

CookTrain

When Chroma Squad came out on Xbox One, thought it looked interesting. I wondered how much it cost on Steam just for comparison...

... huh.

Springy

M... maybe a few times. It's fine, op, it's completely normal. Don't listen to anybody who says you have a problem. Casuals, the lot of them.

I bought a copy of black ops 3 for the zombies Dlc when I could have sworn I returned my original copy. Months later I realized I had 2 copies of the game on my shelf and was perplexed as to where the second came from 😂😂

Springy

Yet another thing that will be solved by the golden age ushered in by our All Digital Future

because you won't technically "own" it the first time

One time I bought an extra Trine Steam code. I apparently had one already, from an older Humble Bundle(?) I'd forgotten about. Humble was cool about it and refunded me, though.

Demon's Souls.
I bought it on the PS Store, probably during some kind of sale.
Then I saw a Limited Edition in some second hand game shop for 20 bucks and bought it.
I was pretty surprised when there was already a save file of the game on my PS3.

I double dip a lot, but never have I done it on accident. I keep an excel file of all of my games. So if I go to buy something, and I don't remember if I have it I just check it real quick. Although I typically remember what I have even though my collection is huge.

Top Bottom