• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What single game have you purchased the most times alone (remakes don't count, but remasters do).

wvnative

do games like spider man 2 count where it's a different game on each platform? if so. PSP, DS, PS2, PC,

Also Burnout Paradise, PS3, 360, PC OG, PS4 remastered and PC remastered. All time favorite game besides FF7

jonnyXx

Final Fantasy VII: PS1 original, PS1 greatest hits, PC Eidos physical edition, PC steam edition, and Switch.

Imtjnotu

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (PS3)
Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
Resident Evil 4 (Xbox One / Series)
Resident Evil 4 (Quest 2)

I can't remember if the PS3 and PS4 ones are the same. But the rest should be accurate.
Milk Cow GIF by TRT

Mr Moose

Hmm... 2x FF7, 8, 10/10-2.
3 or 4 Skyrim (PS3/4/5/PC).
Does Destiny twice count? DLC was just a shitty code and the disc only had OG game on it (fucking scam).
GTAV 3 times :messenger_weary:

GHG

Resident evil 4:

PS2
Xbox One
PC (twice, second time being the remake)
PS4
Quest 2

Might get it again for PS5 if I ever get round to getting a PSVR2.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Sonic 1&2, SF2, FFVI would be the top. Sonic I have in so many collections and standalone it’s pretty hilarious.

SF2 I am counting for all iterations and I bought it on most major consoles starting with Super Nintendo plus various collections.

FFVI - SNES, GameBoy Advance, two different PC versions, 2 mobile versions, and Switch.

Honorable mention:

Chrono Trigger - SNES, DS, PC, mobile (multiple versions)

FFVII - PS1, PC OG release, PC more recent release, PS4, Switch

Moses85

Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (PS3)
Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Resident Evil 4 (Switch)

I can't remember if the PS3 and PS4 ones are the same. But the rest should be accurate.
Schitts Creek Girl GIF by CBC

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Muffdraul

Probably FFVII

FFVII JP
FFVII NA
FFVII International
FFVII OG digital via PSN (PS3 era)
FFVII PS4 remaster digital PSN

Laptop1991

Actually purchased would have to be the games i had on GFWL then Steam and then GOG, like Fallout 3 and then GTA 4 with also RSC would be the top ones.

Kuranghi

Outside of RE4 I think its actually Shadow of the Colossus, because I've bought the PS2, PS3 and PS4 remaster so thats three (3) separate versions but then I (and friends, for me) also rebought the PS2 version about five (5) times.

We played it so much - to death basically, beating it on Normal, then Hard, but then doing all the Time Trials on both difficulties and also trying to get all the fruits and white-tailed lizards, though we gave up on the latter since we got burnt out and it wasn't exactly going to give us much if any benefit at that point we had so many already - and we were drinking and smoking from 6pm to 6am every day so it got scratched all the time and something had to rebuy it. Amazing times...

Going back to RE4, that was one I didn't personally replay but I did watch others play it a lot. I remember Gay Dave beating it on professional and being super stressed out over it, I'd never seen that sweaty before, well except this one time I burst into his room without knocking...

flying_sq

I guess technically GTA5, picked it up on PS3 when it came out. Got it on PS4, never played, gave it to a friend who wanted it. Outside of that, I've never bought a game more than once.

POKEYCLYDE

Final Fantady 9. Probably got it twice on the Playstation way way back, think I have two physical versions now, bought it once on the Xbox and once on the Switch. So 6 times total.

intbal

Quake 2 (PC, Xbox 360, Xbox Series)
Deus Ex Invisible War (OG Xbox and PC)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Xbox 360 and PC)
Half-Life 2 (OG Xbox and 360)
Doom 3 (OG Xbox and Xbox One)
Kingdoms of Amalur (Xbox 360 and Xbox One)

Uh, is MCC a remaster or a remake? I already owned all those games and I bought that, so I guess that's 6 more.

ijntakao

Neo Member
Red Alert 3 PC Standard Edition
Red Alert 3 PC Steelbook
Red Alert 3 PC Steam
Red Alert 3 Xbox 360
Red Alert 3 PS3

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 five times

MGS2 Sons of Liberty (2001 - PS2)
MGS2 Substance (2003 - PS2)
MGS2 in the HD Collection (2011 - PS3)
MGS2 on PC from Good Old Games (2021 - PC)
MGS2 in the “master” Collection (2023 - PS5)

Did not get the XBOX, Vita, or 360 versions. I would definitely try them out!

tommib

Outside of RE4 I think its actually Shadow of the Colossus, because I've bought the PS2, PS3 and PS4 remaster so thats three (3) separate versions but then I (and friends, for me) also rebought the PS2 version about five (5) times.

We played it so much - to death basically, beating it on Normal, then Hard, but then doing all the Time Trials on both difficulties and also trying to get all the fruits and white-tailed lizards, though we gave up on the latter since we got burnt out and it wasn't exactly going to give us much if any benefit at that point we had so many already - and we were drinking and smoking from 6pm to 6am every day so it got scratched all the time and something had to rebuy it. Amazing times...

Going back to RE4, that was one I didn't personally replay but I did watch others play it a lot. I remember Gay Dave beating it on professional and being super stressed out over it, I'd never seen that sweaty before, well except this one time I burst into his room without knocking...
Unexpected sexy twist.

Probably Ms. Pac-Man

Lynx
SNES
GBC
Stand alone portable game
Namco Museum Vol. 3
PSN Arcade Archives (?)
Mini arcade cab with bowling alley tix

Probably forgetting a couple

Namco needs to settle that rights/royalties BS

Last edited:
Three seems to be the magic number for me.

I have purchased Grand Theft Auto Vice City for the PS2 twice as the original copy (without censorship) got lost and another copy was included in Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Collection (with censorship) and then again for PC (with better camera control and without censorship).
tumblr_lzwoy9T79z1rpmg0oo1_500.gif

Similarly, I have purchased Street Fighter Alpha 3 once on PS1 (Upper version with extra content) and twice on Xbox Series S as part of the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (crappy arcade port) and Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium (amazing arcade port).
97772b7c0072b7c405dd8dab0d7f7c24.gif

Like most I have purchased Resident Evil 4 several times. Once for the PS2 (downgraded version), once for the Wii (improved version), and once for the PC to get the RE4 HD Project upgrade mod (best version).
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 7?

PSX
PS3?
PS4
Switch
Steam
Almost bought it again on Xbox one…

Having said that, I never beat the final fight either. I got to it and the game froze, and I never went back.

I’m sure I’ve had more than 9 or 10 playthroughs and never finished the damn thing.

maxwell247

Well, I think the game I bought the most was Skyrim. X360, PC, PS4, Switch and PS5.

But there is also a sad ballad of buying Dragon's Dogma. At first, I bought original game for X360. The game was fun, but the amount of constant tearing in the middle of the screen was atrocious. Later, I bought Dark Arisen edition for PS3, but the framerate was not good. It was around mid 20s and even lower at big battles with many effects. Sadly, I didn't finish the game. One day, I was travelling with my Switch and I had a spare time from my job, so I grabbed Switch version and beat it with a warrior vocation. Not very long ago, I wanted to play it again before DD2 (which I pre-orderd for PS5) and bought the game again on PS5 (ps4 backwards compatible) and sadly It is locked to 30 fps...so I bought it for PC. Even though I have not very outstanding old rig, it runs like butter 60 fps maxed out. In the end, I own almost every version of the game except XboxOne/Series version, which is similar to PS4. One thing to note, I payed the full price for the game only once on X360. All other version were dirty cheap and I bought them during discounts.

Gojiira

Demons Souls -
Japanese original release
American Release
UK Release
Remake - Which does count btw

RE4 - PS2,GC,PS3,PS4,Remake

MGS3 - Original,Subsistence,HD Collection PS3- Vita version - Legacy Collection - Delta when its out

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (PS3)
Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Resident Evil 4 (Switch)

Never bought it on PS2 and I do not have a Quest, but instead I bought it on the 360 and the PC as well. All the other copies you mention I own as well.

I basically buy and finish RE4 as a rule on every new platform I get.

Killjoy-NL

ICO - Shadow of the Colossus and ICO/SotC Remastered (also SotC Remake, but that doesn't count).

TLOU 1 and TLOU 1 Remastered.

I typically don't see any reason to double-dip.
Neither do I see a need to replay singleplayer games, outside of SotC. But that's only because you needed to beat the game multiple times to be able to climb to the Garden of Eden without glitching.

Didn't even play ICO Remastered and TLOU 1 Remastered I've only played for maybe 1 or 2 hours.

Last edited:

pqueue

Alan Wake
- Original version
- Original Version Collector's edition
- Steam PC version
- Epic Games Remaster

also got the EGS version of AW1 with my purchase of AW remaster.

Last edited:

CashPrizes

The last of Us I think at 4. Bought it at launch, bought it again on PS4 remaster, gave that copy to my bro and bought it again at $20 so we could play factions together, bought Part 1 which is also a Remaster.

Roberts

I don’t think I have bought a game more than twice. With movies it is a different story. IIRC, I have bought The Good, The Bad and The Ugly at least 6 times across different formats.

SkylineRKR

SF2 on Genesis, PS1, Saturn, Xbox 360, PS4... PS3 as well probably, I did have the awful Remix but the original might be on there too.
Resident evil 4 on GC, PS2, PS3, PS4.
Castlevania SotN on PS1, Saturn, 360, PS4 and PSP. And on PS3 as a PsOne Classic.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
A much bigger issue is how often I'll first buy the console version of a game and then months or years down the line also get the "definitive" PC version. When I look at my collection of Xbox/360/PS1/PS2/PS4/PS5 games, I want to upgrade every single game for which there's a PC version available.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge.

Back around the early 2000's I was really good at losing my PC play disks. Taking into account the first decade, the collection, the ultimate collection and all the times I lost my discs I would estimate around 9-10 purchases.

Diablo 2 is a close second for the same reason.

Last edited:

Pelao

Between different releases, collections and remasters, I've bought Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Peace Walker a total of six times each (MGS2 and 3 would have been seven times if the Master Collection hadn't turned out so shitty).
In the case of MGS1 and 4, I've bought them four times each, and MGSV three times.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
9895345-pac-man-atari-2600-front-cover.jpg

Started with this one.
Then it was…

Commodore 64
NES
Gameboy
GBA
Playstation
PS2