• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0, aka what black magic makes this so amazing

Before playing Yakuza 0, these were the kinds of GIFs that were informing my expectations going in as a newcomer to the series

jRKfNbK.gif
8F8AaFZ.gif

P1etgQa.gif
KCHuj0N8G.gif

I was expecting something over-the-top, weird, silly, wacky. Kind of like the story you'd find in Tekken cutscenes. And Yakuza 0 is certainly all those things. And yet Yakuza 0 is also a dark gripping crime thriller, and it somehow walks that high wire act between both perfectly, without ever feeling tonally dissonant.

I've currently played about 15 hours and just started Chapter 5, and I'm hooked. Both Kiryu's and Majima's stories are compelling, offering well-developed characters amid tales of interesting gang war machinations, honor and loyalty and respect, dark secrets, and thrilling chapter cliffhangers. And yet it's also about slot car racing, high school panty rings, cults, bad boy bands in a bind, mysterious martial arts masters, and all the other wacky, charming, and fun happenings throughout the city streets. Furthermore, the characterization of the two protagonists, the context of the substories, the themes of the narratives means it makes complete sense that these characters would help the desperate passersby they encounter; so far, none of the substories have suffered from that weird dissonance you'd find between side missions and the main campaigns in games like GTA.

Walking through the dense streets of Kamurocho and Sotenbori is a joy. They remind me of walking through Time Square, but seedier, denser, and lit with extravagant amounts of 80s neon. The smaller scale helps to aid the characterization too, feeling like lively neighborhoods that Kiryu and Majima would be connected too (thus why they're so open to helping people). The streets ooze with personality, from the natural interconnectedness of main thoroughfares and the side streets and back alleys, to the web of wires crisscrossing above the streets or the clutter and displays on corners and in storefronts.

The substories are a major factor in the districts feeling lived-in and dynamic, as they're often situations you just stumble upon or stumble into you. And so far, they've all been fascinating. Partially it's because the culture and idiosyncrasies are completely unknown to me as an American, so every little story is interesting, peeling back a new layer of these people and their towns. I like how many of the substories I've done so far have barely involved combat and often feature dialogue choices, which I wasn't expecting.

yakuza-0-is-a-great-way-to-get-into-segas-outstanding-series-148421159517.gif
tumblr_olno2gqEOD1r7sijxo1_500.gif

The main missions are just as good; while they tend to follow a similar structure of go to place-cutscenes-fight, the story provides the context to make each one exciting. The two big end battles thus far (in Chapter 1 and 4) have all been thrilling, excellently-paced, narratively-driven climaxes. Kiryu's
rampage through HQ, tearing through Kuze's men, diving through windows for a bathroom brawl, and a boss fight.
Majima
closing in on his target, which turns into a stealthy escape through the city streets.

I went into Yakuza 0 expecting something like a GTA, and what I got was something akin to a 3D action JRPG with the random battles you encounter, the inventory, the skill trees and equipment, the strong narrative focus. the unique side missions. All combined with really satisfying beat-em-up brawls.

I don't often like beat-em-ups and brawlers, but the combat in Yakuza 0 is so much fun. The combat styles all feel unique, and more importantly, they feel situational; while all are fun to use in general, you tend to want to use a different style for a big enemy compared to a large group or a large group with guns and knives. The contextual heat moves all hit like a damn truck, and are endlessly satisfying to perform and discover.

Yakuza 0 is perhaps my favorite gaming surprise of 2017. I was not expecting any of this. Not to be so engrossed in the story, or in the characters, or to like the combat so much, or find the worlds so intriguing and exciting to explore, or to find such a well-done crime thriller in what I thought was going to be silly nonsense.

And that's only after four chapters! The Yakuza series has a new fan, and I'm eagerly awaiting Kiwami; I hope that the older games come to PS Now (or for those 2/3/4/5 remakes to happen), because I really want to check out the rest of the series now and learn more about these characters.

Oh, and I'm so glad this is subbed rather than having a english dub.

The yakuza series has been amazing since day one but had 2 major problems going against it. The marketing wasn't up to snuff and it's the only AAA beat em up we have left, because because of the first problem everything thinks this is closer to gta. I'm glad 0 is the game that got people in if you really explore the rest of the series you'll find one of greatest long-running stories in gaming.

McDougles

It's a Miracle
Johnson
that the series even continued beyond 4 in NA, and we're so blessed to get two games this year, followed by the first with the Dragon Engine next year.

ANOTHER CONVERT!

One of us. One of us. One of us.

Seriously though the way this series can transition with supreme ease between saturday morning cartoon and deep, realistic gangster thriller is never not impressive.

I really enjoyed what I played of the story. But I just couldn't get past the PS2 era restrictive camera and targeting system which made a lot of stuff feel really clunky. I will return to the game someday though. It just bothered me enough at the time to decide to play other things first and wait for the price to drop.

Also what the fuck was the deal with those non animated cutscenes with the almost shifting animation added. It was creepy and just felt off. I would much rather have static images or fully animated sequences.

ANOTHER CONVERT!

One of us. One of us. One of us.

Seriously though the way this series can transition with supreme ease between saturday morning cartoon and deep, realistic gangster thriller is never not impressive.
It really is. If the quality keeps up, it might end up being my favorite story of the year

It's the only game in the last few years or maybe even the only one ever where I actually put over 100 hours into a single playthrough. The time just flew by.

I'm playing this right now. This is my first Yakuza game and I gotta say, I'm loving it! It's so badass, don't know how else to describe it.

Definitely gonna get the Yakuza 1 remake when that comes out.

Glad you are enjoying the game OP

For me Yakuza has the best writing in industry. Almost everything it does (crime thriller arc or wacky side stories or even meaningful lessons of honor and friendship) it does incredibly well.

It's also incredible fun to play :)

SephLuis

I love that more people are getting to know this series. It was always a hidden gem.

I was lucky enough to discover this series before Y3. Managed to play Y1 and Y2 on the PS2 and I was hooked for life. Y6 is the only one I didn't imported so far so it will be interesting to see a brand new Yakuza and understand everything on the first playthrough.

It really is. If the quality keeps up, it might end up being my favorite story of the year

Keep us updated. You won't stop playing after a while.

I'm playing this right now. This is my first Yakuza game and I gotta say, I'm loving it! It's so badass, don't know how else to describe it.

Definitely gonna get the Yakuza 1 remake when that comes out.

Glad you're liking it.

Fine, I'm convinced GAF.

I'll get the game this Friday!

Glad to have you on board. Enjoy the ride.

Strings

The black magic is great, complimentary, self-aware writing and directing. Like, at its best, it's perfectly smart stupid in a way few things are.

I see what OP is saying. The game was largely sold to me based on ridiculous gifs and while that is am effective strategy, coming into the game I really didn't expect the story to be THAT GOOD.

Cess007

I'm currently 25hrs into the game, and I can say that the quality remains at the top. It's an incredible game so far.

And yes, the ability of the game to be both wacky and hilarious while being also serious and a trilling crime-drama story is something that the Yakuza team should be commended.

Ultimadrago

Real talk fam; what is your favourite karaoke song?

I have to interject here. While Judgement is likely the most popular (rightfully so because the awesome video accompanying it), x3 Shine is still my favorite after endless hours in Yakuza 0.

Majima's 24-Hour Cinderella video is also awesome. Silly Majima is just great.

I've been playing this as well. I've visited Japan a few times, and this really captures the feel of Tokyo and Osaka (well, how they would have felt in the late 80's). It's super charming, well written, funny, and also surprisingly impactful emotionally.

That said, if you are jumping in go in with the knowledge that it's not a super polished AAA game in regards to camera control and overall game feel. It's more reminiscent of PS2 era stuff.

Shiv47

As someone who's played this series since the first game with its uber shitty dub ("whathefuck?"), it makes me quite happy to see it slowly gain a foothold here, after all these years.

Jimrpg

I really enjoyed what I played of the story. But I just couldn't get past the PS2 era restrictive camera and targeting system which made a lot of stuff feel really clunky. I will return to the game someday though. It just bothered me enough at the time to decide to play other things first and wait for the price to drop.

Also what the fuck was the deal with those non animated cutscenes with the almost shifting animation added. It was creepy and just felt off. I would much rather have static images or fully animated sequences.

Please give it another chance. The story is just incredible, at least I think so. It's just done so well. Is the camera that bad? I don't think I ever had a problem with it, if anything it's only the tiniest bit hard to navigate in tight spaces, but that's so rare. I also remember you saying in another thread you thought the combat was clunky. I think it's really good for a 3D brawler. It's not weapon based so you can't just do horizontal attacks and have a large hit radius and connect on enemies. It's punches and kicks that have small hit zones. There's no lock on either which you would end up losing the chaos of the fight. It's actually rather accurate in detecting if you're close enough to land punches or not. I can easily hit four or five guys surrounding me in any direction just by aiming the analog stick.

The non animated story scenes are really rare, they happen about four times during the game. I don't know why they included it, if they used it so sparingly but I guess they just wanted to try something different.

You've gotta play Kiwami when it comes out my friend.

The narrative in that is great, if you're loving 0 you'll lose your fucking mind with Kiwami. My favorite thing about Yakuza is how even the fucking ridiculous stuff starts feeling organic and dramatic and TENSE because it's all earned.

Opto

Banned
The grind for the final edges of of the fighting styles gets really stale, but until that point, the progression of making Kiryu and Majima more powerful is a wonderful ride

Just a heads up, because this is your first game, some of the plot points, while not necessarily convoluted per se, may go over your head without a knowledge of these characters across however many games. That said, don't hold any confusion against the game and make plans to play the remake of Y1 in August.

The reason it works so well is precisely because gameplay and narrative are kept as far apart from each other as possible. When you're playing the game, the wacky action is never interrupted by the somber narrative, and vice versa. In addition, providing some humour and relaxation is needed to prevent the story from being too overbearing and to ease the pacing before building it up again.

Also the story is genuinely amazing.

Bought the first one after reading an EDGE review and haven't looked back since. One of my favourite gaming series and tragically overlooked for many years.

vakarian32

I'm excited to play this soon, it's currently sitting at the very top of my backlog after I completed Nioh and Persona 5 recently.

This is truly the best time line.

A time-line where people play and love Yakuza :')

Must feel good when a series you've enjoyed for so long really has its breakout moment.
YakuzaGaf has been non stop with getting others to play this finally and with good reason.

So yeah thanks YakuzaGaf, I'm now fiending for Kiwami.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Yeah, add me to the thanks train of Yakuza GAF. I picked it up this past weekend and have really been enjoying my time with it thus far. I think I'm just starting chapter 4 now and find myself trying to carve out time to get back to it.

Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't receive such high praise here.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I love seeing these threads popping on NeoGAF lately.

If you haven't played Yakuza 0 yet and you're still reading this, go and get the game already! Then get ready for Yakuza Kiwami in August for just $29.

YES! We need more and more people to get into Yakuza. It's such a unique gem of a series and I really really don't want us to lose it (at least in the west, it got real dicey there for a few years).

It's funny seeing people always being so surprised how it just stays good and at the top and doesn't let up throughout the game. It's become expected for me as that isn't just one game, it's the whole series. Every single one of them is great for over a decade now. It's not at all some B roll quirky Japanese side trek through gaming (like many think it will be), it's legitimately one of the best series in gaming.

It's the fact that you can be singing karaoke and having a grand old time with a bud only for some dramatic reveal that gets you back down to earth.

It's incredible how amazing the balance is between silly and serious. There hasn't been a moment in the game that I've not been enthralled by the acting and the characters.

This is my first Yakuza game and CERTAINLY not my last. Just got done with Ch.5 and am sitting around the 16hr mark. Incredible stuff and rivals the industry's best storytellers.

danmaku

It really has some kind of black magic, it's the game I spent the most time on this year (over 100 hours), and I still come back to it to clear the two main minigames and do some side stories. Why is it so great?

- Above all, it has a lot of personality. It's made by a team that didn't care about the western market, because at this point they probably gave up on it, and as a result it's a very Japanese game. The setting, the writing, the way the game is designed has "Japan" written all over it, and this gives the game a very distinct feel. You can love it or hate it, but it never feels "standard". If you play a lot of western games, this one will feel fresh, different. Not better, but different.

- The combat is incredibly satisfying, and it needs to be because you'll be fighting hundreds (if not thousands) of times. The system isn't very deep and the game is way too easy even on hard, but it has a lot of variety: 3 unique styles for each character (+ an unlockable secret style) that you can switch on the fly, tons of items you can pick up and use as weapons and a crazy amount of finishers (heat moves) you can perform. There's a lot of subtle touches that makes them so good, like the slow motion that kicks in just at the right moment and the music volume that goes way down (but doesn't stop), to further emphasize how powerful your move is. And of course at the end everyone is fine and apologizes for attacking you, even if they should all be dead. It's hilarious, like a Bud&Terence movie with a bit more violence.

- The side activities are, for the most part, extremely well made. They are not the kind of games you play once and get bored after ten minutes. Some of them could be standalone games, and some of them are actually Sega classic arcade games emulated to perfection. Some of them even have small storylines attached! Yes,
Catfight Club
sucks and bowling will always be awful no matter what, but nobody's perfect.

- The side stories are fantastic. Funny, crazy and sometimes interesting when they are about some aspect of Japanese culture. The gameplay is nothing special, it's always cutscene -> fight -> cutscene or cutscene -> dialogue option -> cutscene, but the writing makes them worth your time. It's nothing super deep, but it's super fun.

- The main story is probably the only disappointing aspect of the game. It's entertaining as hell and it kept me hooked until the end, but it's also full of bad clichés, has some dull moments and totally falls apart at the end. As a result, I wasn't really caring for the characters, just trying to guess the next plot twist (some are obvious, some are not) and enjoying the ride. That said, the ending scenes are executed so well that will get you hyped even if you don't give a shit about the characters. After such a long journey, the payoff is very important, and they nailed it.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't get enough of the dancing mini-game. I got upset once I found out there was only a few songs and repeats the same track list for each character :(

the yakuza serie is the real successor to 2D beat em up like final fight and so on for me!

all that's missing is a online mode with coop missions (not the sotry of course, jsute like side challenge mission)

can't wait for kiwami!

Roufianos

You've gotta play Kiwami when it comes out my friend.

The narrative in that is great, if you're loving 0 you'll lose your fucking mind with Kiwami. My favorite thing about Yakuza is how even the fucking ridiculous stuff starts feeling organic and dramatic and TENSE because it's all earned.

Finished this and pre-ordered Kiwami straight away. Can't fucking wait. What an incredible game 0 was.

danthefan

Bought this a few months back in the sale, it's great. Just at the start of chapter 8, the story is getting really interesting on both sides. Everyone should get this.

Yakuza newbie here and all I can say is wow!!

Started this last weekend and I can't put it down. Story is really interesting and has me invested. Just started chapter 8 and I can't wait to see where it leads. The world itself, initially I was somewhat suprised at how small the map was, but omg, it is packed. I've just loved wandering about and seeing what I find. The sidequests are often brilliantly crazy and I have laughed so much playing. It's a little overwhelming the amount of things to do but in a good way. Found the women's fight club and won 125 million! I love how money is tied to abilities and just so many little touches, like trying to avoid Mr Shakedown. Can't believe I've not played this before. Definitely in the top 2 games of the year so far. Incredible

danthefan

Yakuza newbie here and all I can say is wow!!

Started this last weekend and I can't put it down. Story is really interesting and has me invested. Just started chapter 8 and I can't wait to see where it leads. The world itself, initially I was somewhat suprised at how small the map was, but omg, it is packed. I've just loved wandering about and seeing what I find. The sidequests are often brilliantly crazy and I have laughed so much playing. It's a little overwhelming the amount of things to do but in a good way. Found the women's fight club and won 125 million! I love how money is tied to abilities and just so many little touches, like trying to avoid Mr Shakedown. Can't believe I've not played this before. Definitely in the top 2 games of the year so far. Incredible

Get a bit deeper into the property side thing and 125 mil will be like pocket change.

OléGunner;242037216 said:
Must feel good when a series you've enjoyed for so long really has its breakout moment.
YakuzaGaf has been non stop with getting others to play this finally and with good reason.

So yeah thanks YakuzaGaf, I'm now fiending for Kiwami.

Word. Before I looked at the YakuzaGaf related threads on here, Yakuza was a series I'd never played. I'd heard of it but really did not have much interest at all.

A week later I was not just interested in giving it a go but was convinced that I needed to pre-order Yakuza 0. A month later I'd put almost 100 hours into it and become a Hostess Club obsessive. A week after that I pre-ordered Kiwami.

I wanna be your girrrrrrrrllllll...

Top Bottom