• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0, aka what black magic makes this so amazing

SephLuis

What is the best order to play Yakuza games if you haven't played any before? (I have a PS4, PS3 and possibly access to a PS2)

Start with Yakuza 0, then wait for Kiwami (both on PS4).

Then you have many options on how to proceed:

- Order of release: Y2 on the PS2, 3-4-5 on the PS3, 6 on the PS4
- Wait for the Y2 remake and play Y6 in the meanwhile

Jimrpg

Best way IMO is the PS4 titles first -

PS4 titles - Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami (out this week), Yakuza 6 (March 2018), Yakuza 2 Kiwami (possibly 2018 for the west) and then

PS3 titles - Yakuza 3, 4, 5, Kenzan, Ishin, Dead Souls

This is because Yakuza 0 is probably the best title in the series and the Yakuza formula is far more modern and refined than the early PS2 titles.

If you want to play them in release order -

PS2 - Yakuza 1, 2

PS3 - Yakuza Kenzan, 3, 4, Dead Souls, 5

PS4 - Yakuza Ishin, 0, Kiwami, 6, Kiwami 2

This is also ok, but it'll take you ages to get to the more modern titles like Yakuza 0 and by that time you may be wondering why people love the series so much.

Kenzan, Ishin are historical samurai spinoffs featuring the same 'cast' in different roles, 'Kiwami' means extreme and are the remakes, Dead Souls is a 'zombie apocalypse' spin off.

The big argument against playing all of these games in release order until you eventually reach 0 is that marathoning through the series in general is not the best idea. All games pretty much feature the same main area with few additions on top, lots of re-used assets and on top of that, the individual games are long, especially with all those sidequests and activities.

So either you burn out on the series early into the PS3 installments or you wait a couple of months between each entry and we'll see your Yakuza 0 LTTP thread in, like, 3-4 years.

nickgia

Picked the game back today to finish side quests in anticipation for Kiwami. The side quests are great, but the main story pacing makes everything so urgent that it doesn't feel right to be screwing around trying to help some kid find a videogame. I really like the free roaming option post-game.

vocab

Picked the game back today to finish side quests in anticipation for Kiwami. The side quests are great, but the main story pacing makes everything so urgent that it doesn't feel right to be screwing around trying to help some kid find a videogame. I really like the free roaming option post-game.

Most urgency plot lines all have that same issue. It's just a very video game thing we just take for granted. At least Yakuza is good, and some of those other games that do urgency plot aren't.

PrimeTime

I beat Y0 this past week-my first yakuza game and I really liked it. Just curious, do you see Kiryu's character evolving throughout the series? Or is he just pretty much the same character game-game?

tanuki

I just finished this today, loved every minute of it.

I really loled at the scene
where Kiryu comes out of Little Asia after the being wounded and bandaged up, about a minute later after meeting Nishiki, he's ripping off his shirt, free of bandages and totally healed. :D

I just finished this today, loved every minute of it.

I really loled at the scene
where Kiryu comes out of Little Asia after the being wounded and bandaged up, about a minute later after meeting Nishiki, he's ripping off his shirt, free of bandages and totally healed. :D

Power of Friendship.

This game is so hype. I played the disco mini game for about an hour yesterday.

The story is really engaging too. And so many amusing characters to meet/befriend/beat down. Right now I'm having the experience with it that I wanted to have with Persona five. Equal parts wacky and dramatic city based character focused RPG.

sotojuan

I completed the story last night in a marathon from chapter 13 to the end (I've been doing side content for a week or so). Amazing game - probably by GOTY to be honest. I'm still going to be playing it today to finish up more side content but I impatiently await my copy of Kiwami on Tuesday.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The big argument against playing all of these games in release order until you eventually reach 0 is that marathoning through the series in general is not the best idea. All games pretty much feature the same main area with few additions on top, lots of re-used assets and on top of that, the individual games are long, especially with all those sidequests and activities.

So either you burn out on the series early into the PS3 installments or you wait a couple of months between each entry and we'll see your Yakuza 0 LTTP thread in, like, 3-4 years.

I haven't burnt out yet thankfully and that's playing only Yakuza exclusively since 20th June starting with Yakuza 4. Now around 48% through Zero and Kiwami is in the mail.

I'm excited to try this series for the first time next month.

No idea what to expect.

pkeum0nbjacuulw3couj.gif

tumblr_nzgqkb7tOf1s82c3do1_400.gif

Top Bottom