• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dynasty Warriors 9 info and character reveals LU BU, Man Chong, Zhou Cang

NZerker12

Credit to Gematsu for the info

We have some new info and characters reveals for DW9.

Characters

Wei

Man Chong

DW9_07-06-17_001.jpg

The resourceful general of Wei. He makes skillful use of strategies and traps, and is frequently active in defensive warfare. He also has an excellent manner of speaking, and advised his old friend Xu Huang to serve Cao Cao.

Wu

Sun Shangxiang

Daughter of Sun Jian. Bright and vivacious, she eagerly takes to the battlefield and consistently proves she is as good or better than the men around her. Though her straightforward personality causes her to be one of the first to rush her enemies, her skill with weapons is sufficient to allow her to survive. She earns the nickname “Princess of the Bow” due to the beauty of her face and form and her proficiency with a bow.

Lu Xun

A self-effacing young officer, he always conducts himself with sincerity. He aids Lu Meng in defeating Guan Yu, and succeeds in taking Jing. He serves as the Grand Commander at Yiling and is able to destroy Liu Bei’s huge army. He encapsulates both the liveliness of youth and the wisdom of resourcefulness.

Shu

Zhou Cang

A former subordinate of the Yellow Turbans and Zhang Bao. He reunited with Guan Yu in Gagyuzan after falling so low as to become a bandit and became his loyal follower. He is extraordinarily swift-footed, and his speed is said to be the same as that of a red hair that runs a thousand miles per day. He excels in swimming with his superhuman strength, and plays an active role as a commander.

Other

Lu Bu

DW9_07-06-17_007.jpg

A master of the military arts and particularly skilled in mounted archery. His exceptional skill earns him praise as a warrior among warriors, just as Red Hare is praised as a horse among horses. Lu Bu is a firm believer in the right of might and tends to ignore social niceties.

Musou me if old

Giolon

Yo that's looking real nice. Sun Shangxiang has got a top tier appearance again.

Bring on Lianshi, Lu Lingqi, and Xingcai!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well, it's not quite classic Lu Bu, but I'm glad it's not just black and red.

And Lu Xun's hat returns at long last! And no more midriff!

Really liking what I'm seeing design wise. Can't wait to see the rest.

Tagyhag

Lu Bu still not looking as good as the earlier games, but he definitely looks much better than the new ones.

StereoVsn

But should we pursue?
We all know... do NOT pursue Lu Bu!

The game is actually looking pretty good. It would be interesting to see the new systems. Might grab it for PS4 as we all know how "good" KT PC ports are these days.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Thank God Lu Bu has a halberd.

Well he's had that back since 7. 6 was the only weirdo. Though his 6 weapon was awesome when it came back revamped in 8XL.

Speaking of revamps, I hope his halberd gets a bit of one. The 7 moveset had too few practical moves. A lot that were flashy but took too long to pull off without a big enough damage or AoE payoff. His knock back string had a really weird and unsatisfying hitbox too.

cwistofu

God I love Dynasty Warriors' character designs. Whoever is in charge of these for each new game doesn't get nearly enough credit.

Except for DW7 Lianshi. Yikes.

Character designs make this look like DW3 HD Remaster. That's a very good thing. The games were getting far too invested in the anime look for my tastes recently.

TreIII

I really do love how this game is going for much more "reasonable" designs for characters, again. Let Basara do its thing, and let Musou do what it does best.

On that same note, however, I wonder what they'll do for the Jin kids. Those guys and girls came into this series not only when the anime aesthetic was at its peak, but even had western style designs here and there. Is someone like Xiahou Ba still going to look like Bieber cosplaying as a knight, or are they going to do a bit more reinvention for him and his ilk?

Looking very cool. I haven't played SSX since... DW4? She looks great here though. But I keep wondering why she and Xiahou Ba aren't simply considered Shu characters. I mean, Zhang Liao is Wei even though that's not where he started out.

Didn't they give her a bow in DW6? And whatever, the chakrams are way cooler.

Also everyone has bows back in this game!

Eh, I get annoyed sometimes with the creative decisions regarding the story, design of DW. Much like I get annoyed at the Kingdom manga with its historical inaccuracies.

Even so, looking forward to play it. DW has always been fun.

dramatis

Sun Shang Xiang's right arm looks very oddly proportioned. I don't think her design overall is very good but it's an improvement over recent designs I suppose.

That said, surprised they're going with gold for Lu Bu.

Top Bottom