• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered - New vs Old Character Portraits Comparison Videos

This probably doesn't warrant a new thread so please lock if it's necessary. I found some videos that compare the old and new portraits for all three playable races and extras such as backgrounds and wildlife. I thought I'd share it in its own thread!
Terran
Zerg
Protoss
etc.
Many if not all of the new ones look fantastic in my opinion. Some got a big overhaul to closer match their SC2 appearances.

EDIT: Here is a video showing the building comparisons!
All buildings

Just hearing that music still gives me chills. Fuck I love this game. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the new portraits but I'm still super excited for this.

uXh3bx0.jpg

Alrus

I really don't like how terran Kerrigan looks.

Edit: Actually most Terran named characters aren't great.

Altazor

man, despite the models looking good I can't say I'm a fan of changing the Protoss' skin tones. They used to be green, light brown, grey and blue... now they're all grey-ish blue. It's kind of a nitpick, but it's something I'm not particularly fond of.

Ditto the lighting (the High Templar, Tassadar and Zeratul portraits were cool as hell with the shadows. Now... not so much).

Syf

Banned
Love most of them, although a few (mainly the protoss) are very different from the original designs. Game's gonna own my life anyway.

A lot of the character portraits got an overhaul in order to look like the Starcraft 2 appearances but younger.

For example Sarah Kerrigan looks just like the Sarah from the Starcraft 2 Promotional Trailers and Cinematics while Infested Kerrigan looks more like the one in the Brood War boxart.

The Protoss look a lot different again due to Starcraft 2.

But many of them have some extra quirks added for fun! Also it seems like all the ladies in the Terran wink now minus Kerrigan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
They absolutely buthcered some of them with this remaster. Stuff like the Ghost and Lurker look terrible. Also part of the charm with some of these portraits was the darker nature/tone. Now it's all more vibrant. Ugh.

I don't like it. I don't like things that are different. I don't understand why they have to make things match with SC2. It is nitpicky perhaps but not more than star wars changes after the prequels. Got the old game so whatever.

Just realized the Mutas have a weird gross pink little body in their "mouths". Jesus Christ. Looks good, though. I understand why they made the units match Starcraft 2 so I aint upset. Gotta say I don't like that they took away the heavy shadows on a few of the units like the Ghost.

Atilac

Do I need anthology installed to play this? I know it's free I just don't understand why it would fit on top like that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The fuck did they do to Stukov I didn't even like the character but he looks like some undead zombie in this when he was clearly supposed to be the more charismatic and "good" member of the UED or at least that's how they potrayed him intially.

Nephrahim

I don't understand why they don't resemble their SC2 appearances AT ALL.

I mean I can understand not just using the SC2 models, since they're a couple years younger, but they don't even RESEMBLE The high quality SC2 models they have of these characters.

Mechazawa

So has Blizzard said anything about remaking the cutscenes?

.... Am I the only one who thinks they made them look a little... Korean? Playing for their audience?

I was thinking less that and more that they intentionally made the character models look like the type of CGI you'd see overseas. Lots of cartoonish anatomy to the Terran.

TheSun

Oh. Were the cerebrates supposed to be covered in jell-o?

Yep, really liked the original lighting directions the original had more than here.

But I like most of the updates. Dunno about the terran dropship look. Preferred the originals "Bertha" look, y'know.

Zerg are better in general for me.

Jim looks fuggin' weird, tho.

Insaniac

Well Kerrigan pretty much matches up with there current Kerrigan design right? And Jim is a younger, non-alcoholic Jim.

Alexi Stukov though looks terrible

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hmm, the artists did a poor job with the Protoss and story characters (especially Duke, Raynor, and Kerrigan)...

Megsk is up there dude looked like some charasmatic fucker that you could see tricking someone into folloing him befor betraying them. New Mengsk somehow looks more hagged than SC2 mengsk

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well Kerrigan pretty much matches up with there current Kerrigan design right? And Jim is a younger non-grizzled, non battle-worn non-alcoholic Jim.

Alexi Stukov though looks terrible

With a mean face all the time. I mean does that face scream to you someone that'd say "this is Jimmy" and "sounds fun"

Kerrigan and Raynor look so generic and uninteresting now.

Raynor in particular looks more like the guy who shows up with a MAGA hat and a shotgun to his local militia instead of the local goofy guy who just wants to do his best for the team.

Edit: Just finished. Everything else looks great to me.

Edit2: Oh wait, I forgot that I don't like Stukov without the yellow eye glow. It always let me know something was up with him...

KarmaCow

Since they normalized the look of most of the characters to be more in line with the current look (as well as actually looking like people), what are they doing about the non-ingame cutscenes?

Top Bottom