• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered - New vs Old Character Portraits Comparison Videos

Onemic

The Terran ones look awful vs the original. Protoss ones are hit and miss. The Zerg ones are by far the best imo.

Electret

What'd they do to Raynor's unibrow? This is a sad loss for us all.

And the Science Vessel lost his sanctimonious expression.

Syf

Banned
Why wouldn't you keep the same creepy lighting with the red eyes popping like that?
This is one that everyone complained about when it was leaked. Was a small victory just to get them to change the eyes back to red (they were blue).

Don't really get why they delivered exactly what we wanted for in-game graphics but decided to SC2 up some of the portraits.

Laiza

Mostly everything is an upgrade, but they totally ruined the zerglings for me. :(

I don't understand why they had to change their design so much. Bleh...

DxD

Banned
The hell?
Wow, I always thought Kerrigan portrait was a black woman with red corn rolls.
I was like WTF, did they just white wash her?
Even in SC2 I thought her Zerg hair was a callback to her original hairstyle.

Welp...I was wrong for nearly 20yrs. I am not the only one right?

sarah-kerrigan-starcraft-3.97.jpg

Syf

Banned
The hell?
She's always been white. I am not sure how you could possibly think she was black tbh lol.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The ghost is pretty disappointing. I liked his mysteriousness in the shadows and only seeing his eyes.

Are they trying to make them all action figures? Because thats what they look like

Oh, how nice, they added a lot more detail for the SCV picking his nose 😑.

They all look great, expect for Raynor, who's looking weird proportion wise.

Edit: I swear some SC fans can never be pleased.

JordanN

Banned
The great thing about 90s Starcraft was you had to use your imagination to fill in the blanks for what each unit looked like.

That's not to put down the efforts made by the remaster. I especially like how they manage to create an even more stylized look the original struggled with.

The final game looks like a painting/concept art in motion, whereas the original bordered on being realistic to having some very outdated plastic-y looking renders.

The hell?

You are not alone. She always struck out to me as black.

But then we had SC:Ghost fotage and I realize had been wrong.

SRTtoZ

Kerrigan looks like she got the most work and I thought they'd put more into Raynor but looks good overall.

The only thing I've heard about the cutscenes was that they would either play out like a visual novel or it would be still art images of the cutscene.

poodaddy

Pretty much all the character portraits look like completely different people now, like they've been completely redesigned. Also, what the hells up with the medic and valkyrie's winking? I don't see any male characters winking.

Pretty much all the character portraits look like completely different people now, like they've been completely redesigned. Also, what the hells up with the medic and valkyrie's winking? I don't see any male characters winking.
Because they winked in the original one. The Valkyrie is easier to spot with the twinkle.

poodaddy

Uhh.. Kerrigan is the last person one would perceive as black..
Na I definitely thought she was black. I kinda hate that she's white lol. My mind still sees her as black, I just can't help it. I always thought it was really cool to have a strong, intelligent, black female in a big game in the 90's as there weren't many of those, but so much for that.

I hope the new stuff is ported to Mass Recall, I like SC, but the remaster is clearly not for me, I'll be day one for WC3 though

Yes

I think the units and portraits are new 3D models but the ones in the game are prerendered :(

I don't know if the game actually uses 3D models on the remastered but it would be great.

I don't understand why they don't resemble their SC2 appearances AT ALL.

I mean I can understand not just using the SC2 models, since they're a couple years younger, but they don't even RESEMBLE The high quality SC2 models they have of these characters.

Because the SC1 art is way better.

If anyone wonders why the new portraits look choppy when/if they're playing the Remastered version, apparently the peeps at Blizzard said that since you have the ability to switch between original and remastered, they had to sync the new portraits with the originals and how they spoke.

Only Kerrigan looks SC2ish.

No, Artanis has been changed to resemble the Hierarch he becomes.

I do like these for the most part, with the aforementioned changed to keep with their SC2 looks. The Battlecruiser in particular looks less goofy. Also like the new splash screens, notably the beginning and ending Protoss Aiur missions.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ew, I hate the new SCV.

What's with actually modeling snot coming out of his nose and then having him seemingly eat it?

Phediuk

The hell?

Milla Jovovich seems the likely inspiration.

Miletius

New Raynor and new Stukov are the only ones that I think are terrible. Otherwise, I think they are pretty good.

As other's have mentioned, Raynor looks very angry compared to his original portrait. Doesn't really match my perception of his personality at all. And Stukov, yikes... like, in the original he looks a bit youthful. In this one, he looks, well... like he's been through a lot of shit. Which is true to his character, but it's very different look than before.

frontovik

Banned
Speaking of Kerrigan .. Blizzard made a mistake with not reprising her original VA, Glynnis Taklen Campbell (..also of Starcraft's medic, Diablo's Rogue/Gillian/Kashya, Warcraft's Dryad fame..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61S599C3SI

Which makes me wonder if Blizzard is still remastering audio for hero characters in the campaign.

Oublieux

I know some of these updates are to diversify for new players and to pull in existing SC2 players, but the nostalgic side of me feels on the fence about some of the portrait changes. I felt like some of the Terran females were made to look more attractive, especially the Dropship. The Zerg were largely faithful. And the Protoss diverges quite a bit from the original. I actually like most of the older portraits, but that might be due to having fond memories of the original and having played it incessantly back as a kid.

Syf

Banned
Speaking of Kerrigan .. Blizzard made a mistake with not reprising her original VA, Glynnis Taklen Campbell (..also of Starcraft's medic, Diablo's Rogue/Gillian/Kashya, Warcraft's Dryad fame..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61S599C3SI

Which makes me wonder if Blizzard is still remastering audio for hero characters in the campaign.
There's an option in the sound menu for original voice actors. So it looks like they have, but we'll be able to choose the old ones if we want.

HeatBoost

I'll always see the prettying up of Kerrigan as a the primary signifier of Starcraft's descent into being milquetoast bullshit

Like, she looked like a space weirdo with red braids to me. That was kind of emblematic of the franchise's nature as being a weird hodgepodge (like all Blizz IP) but slightly grittier than Warcraft. But then they took Nova's design, turned the hair red, and gave it to her (making Nova blonde, and the two of them are the only ghosts who look like that)

me0wish

They look nothing like the original, I hate most of them. Is it necessary that Karrigan to hold her gun like that? Does it make her look cool? Why adding unnecessary winks to the female units? some of the worst facial animations I've ever seen, even the original wasn't that bad.

some of the worst facial animations I've ever seen, even the original wasn't that bad.
As mentioned earlier, the developers themselves said that they had to sync it up with the original animations for the voice and stuff. They can add quirks like your unnecessary winking even though both Valkyrie and Medic did that before in the original portraits, or better yet the other movements, but at the end it has to match the original since you have the option to switch between new and old looks.

Think Halo: CE Anniversary.

Azzanadra

You know I really should get around to buying Legacy of the Void, if only to play the campaign.

Anyways, these looks great... Il buy 10 of these if it means getting a Diablo 2 Remaster.

Please Blizzard.

me0wish

As mentioned earlier, the developers themselves said that they had to sync it up with the original animations for the voice and stuff. They can add quirks like your unnecessary winking even though both Valkyrie and Medic did that before in the original portraits, or better yet the other movements, but at the end it has to match the original since you have the option to switch between new and old looks.

Think Halo: CE Anniversary.

Thanks for insight.

I cried when i see old ones. (especiallt with that Terran theme) T-T So good.

Some of them good and some of them bad, but generally i like it new ones!

Blues1990

I've been playing the original, and it's been a blast. (especially since I've never been too big on the RTS scene, sans Halo Wars).

Might go and pick this one up, as it seems people are more partial to the original than it's sequel.

Nessus

Was really hoping they'd be more faithful to the original game's style. Like the Vulture losing his sunglasses, which were one of the things that highlighted the "hillbillies in space" vibe of the original that SC2 largely abandoned, and replacing them with high tech goggles.

Syf

Banned
I've been playing the original, and it's been a blast. (especially since I've never been too big on the RTS scene, sans Halo Wars).

Might go and pick this one up, as it seems people are more partial to the original than it's sequel.
sc2 is more friendly to newcomers with its more intuitive controls but brood war is the better rts

TheSun

People are surprised about the scv and Kerrigan?

Kerrigan always looked like Mila Jovovich ala 5th element.

I was surprised about the siege tank being black. And I think the science vessel looks a bit darker too. Pretty neat.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
The original portraits had the same winking animations. You can clearly tell now because they're not a small window of blurry pixels.

The medic does. I don't see it on the Valkyrie though. She blinks a couple times and you get the flash, but there is no wink that I can see.

I'm really bummed that the firebat doesn't have his manic grin anymore. :(

Top Bottom