• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break gets Xbox One X patch for 4K

Just announced on the livestream with Greenberg. I know people were asking about this one so it's nice to finally hear something.

He specifically said 4K but we don't have details yet.

Merge or delete if old.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very interested to see how they pull this off. Native 4K is still tough with QB on the PC - not even the fastest GPUs can push real 4K in that game at high frame-rates.

Perhaps it'll use the same reconstruction technique as the original using a 1080p frame rather than 720p like on current XO.

Theorry

Very interested to see how they pull this off. Native 4K is still tough with QB on the PC - not even the fastest GPUs can push real 4K in that game at high frame-rates.

Perhaps it'll use the same reconstruction technique as the original using a 1080p frame rather than 720p like on current XO.

Think its gonna be checkerboard tho?

ethomaz

Banned

Most probably... the tech is already implemented in Engine.

Most probably... the tech is already implemented in Engine.

Would going from a 720p source to 1080p one cut down on a lot of the noticeable artifacting in-game or is that just part and parcel with reconstruction at those resolutions?

At that point I'd almost like an option to stick with a softer, native*, image.

*Meaning 1080p, my mindset is still locked to my TV. A 1080p image scaled up to 4k with a soft look vs a reconstructed image with artifacts.

ethomaz

Banned
Would going from a 720p source to 1080p one cut down on a lot of the noticeable artifacting in-game or is that just part and parcel with reconstruction at those resolutions?

At that point I'd almost like an option to stick with a softer, native, image.
I think the most close to the final resolution less artifacts is notified.

720p reconstructed to 1080p is 2x the resolution.
1080p reconstructed to 4k is 4x the resolution.

That is why I believe the resolution will be higher to reconstruct to 4k... 1800p reconstructed to 4k will give less artifacts than what you saw in XB1.

I think XB1X can reach some resolution close to 1800p (1600p?) where XB1 reached 720p.

Native 4k is probably out of question.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they'll evolve the technique they used in the original release and go for something like that.
The original technique is bad. The IQ is so blurry that it absolutelty murders texture detail.

I think the most close to the final resolution less artifacts is notified.

720p reconstructed to 1080p is 2x the resolution.
1080p reconstructed to 4k is 4x the resolution.

That is why I believe the resolution will be higher to reconstruct to 4k... 1800p reconstructed to 4k will give less artifacts than what you saw in XB1.

I think XB1X can reach some resolution close to 1800p (1600p?) where XB1 reached 720p.

Native 4k is probably out of question.

Well, I played it at 1440p, reconstructed from 1080p and the IQ was too blurry IMHO.

ethomaz

Banned
The original technique is bad. The IQ is so blurry that it absolutelty murders texture detail
The tech is not bad at all... it is even similar to Siege or Sony's CB tech.

The issue was that the resolution choose to resconstruct was too low (720p)... if they used 900p the IQ could be way better and less blurry.

There is magic going from 720p to 1080p... it will end blurry... that is why the resolution in XB1X will be closer to 4k than 720p was to 1080p.

Sydle

Hmmm, I might play through it again when I eventually get a XOX. It's a pretty game and there were many moments where I wanted a higher resolution.

arhra

The tech is not bad at all... it is even similar to Siege or Sony's CB tech.

Insomniac's "temporal injection" tech (Ratcher & Clank/Spider-Man) is probably the closest comparison, as they both seem to be based on reconstructing a higher-resolution frame from several regular frames at a lower resolution, rather than being a sparse rendering technique like checkerboarding.

Alebelly

Help me out GAF

One of my all time favorite games is Max Payne 2, the writing is so fucked up and genius

I despise Alan Wake, the narration and writing makes me want to... play something else

I haven't played QB, but I am a huge sci-fi fan, but I really, really despise Alan Wake

Should I play QB?

thelastword

Banned
Who said this Aaron? Then I hope no one starts getting their hopes up that it will be 4k native....Of course any resolution upscaled to 4k will output as 4k on your TV...you guys know that right? ;)

Who said this Aaron? Then I hope no one starts getting their hopes up that it will be 4k native....Of course any resolution upscaled to 4k will output as 4k on your TV...you guys know that right? ;)
I don't think anyone is expecting native 4k when even much stronger gpus still struggle with this game in 4k.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I appreciate all the help, I know it's not about me but c'mon. Real question by a real person, thank you
It's cheap right? Just play it and find out. I doubt you'll enjoy it as much as MP2 but is very very different from Alan Wake.

marciocdb

Banned
From 720p to 4K ? That's quite an improvement!

EDIT: maybe in order to reach that, they will remove most of the "special' AA they've used in the Xbox One version...

My only request is that this patch adds shell casings and magazines that actually slide out when reloading. A bit of a gross oversight.

Waggles

Help me out GAF

Should I play QB?

No. It's full of unexplained story beats and cliffhangers like alan wake was. What story there is is "eh" by the end, and the gameplay itself is nothing to write home about it. I was bored before it ended, and annoyed that I wasted time on it.

But hey, you're in a QB thread, so there's a probably some dissenting opinion here :p

poodaddy

Yay! I knew I did the right thing in waiting to play it, I was hoping for this announcement.
Downsample to 1080p or additional effects or AA for HDTV folks?

Is there any way to make the PC version not look like trash? The IQ is horrible. There is a nice looking game underneath, but it's so blurry!

Top Bottom