• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein (Daario 1.0) quits the Hellboy reboot in the name of equal representation

A primer- it was recently announced that Ed Skrein had been cast in the new Hellboy movie as Major Ben Daimio, a character with mixed Asian heritage. This casting prompted complaints about the erasure of Asian actors in Hollywood and the whitewashing of established characters.

In response, Skrein has pulled out to allow the role to be cast properly.

DIVrABwXYAAqZH_

A singularly classy and respectful move to make. I hope this kickstarts a trend of inappropriately-cast actors refusing to take roles that would allow representation for minority actors.

Good on 'im. This puts significant pressure on the studio to actually cast an Asian person now. Kinda can't go cast another white dude after that statement.

who wants to bet that they still will?

Platy

Awesome for him.

Can't wait for the producers to announce another white dude not understanding anything

Nice.

Shame they couldn't find another role for him in the film--it's gotta be hard to leave a big production like Hellboy.

Christian

Wow. Good for him. People aren't exactly lining up to put this guy in their movies, so this probably wasn't an easy thing for him to do, from a "make a living" perspective. But he'll definitely earn a lot of respect.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Good on 'im. This puts significant pressure on the studio to actually cast an Asian person now. Kinda can't go cast another white dude after that statement.

who wants to bet that they still will?

Sigh sadly I see that

Gotta double down on the "best actor who auditioned"

fauxtrot

Banned
I have never really enjoyed him in a movie but this was pretty fucking cool of him.

Sad that the studio made such a dumb decision in the first place... watch them replace him with Jai Courtney or something.

What are the chances he'll be shunned by Hollywood now? Especially as he basically implied that everyone behind this movie are culturally insensitive morons for casting him.

I'll clown his bad acting less now. Good for him.

(What sort of background work are you doing if you can't find out your character is of partial Asian descent from a Google search?)

WoolyNinja

Great move by him! I wonder if there's another role he could play in the movie as he was great in Deadpool and I feel like being a stand-up decent person should be rewarded in Hollywood.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You probably want something less campy but Machete is pretty badass

im super happy Danny Trejo got a starring role in something and loved that movie quite a bit, but yea. Man it'd be cool if we could get some super heroes i could've identified with when i was a kid. There were scant few.

Top Bottom