• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 comes out on PC in 1 month from today, how many are still excited?

Strakt

t1508821200z1.png

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldcl...estiny+2+Launch+on+PC&iso=20171024T10&p1=5154

PC_Launch_MAP.jpg

2N2GTa9.png

PS4 Version has been out for around 3 weeks now. The game has received positive reviews, mixed reviews, and a couple negative reviews. It releases on PC Oct 24th with future DLCs releasing on all 3 platforms at the same time.

I, for one, cannot wait for the PC version as the beta played amazingly well and there are not a lot of games to choose from that exist in the same genre.

Who here is still excited and if so which edition of the game are you getting? (I'll be getting the digital deluxe)

Who here was thinking of getting it but changed their mind?

Who here double dipped?

Kadin

Can't wait! Passed on the XB1 version as my friends will be playing here. Almost bought it but in the end I figured I'd just wait. It's been tough but it's getting better.

Eh, I was excited, but just seems like more of the same. I'll definitely pick it up once it's cheaper and/or comes with all of the DLC.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Thankfully they let me cancel my PC preorder. I was going to double dip but after playing D2 I really learned you have to play this with others or its a really meh game.

Some hype is lost do to how goddamn negative a lot of people are but in the OT people seem to still be having some fun. Being that I never played the first I think a lot of the disappointment from long time fans and Destiny 1.5 talk won't apply to me.

Still excited cause I'm sure I'll have a good time but missing out on the launch hype really sucks.

Not enough to double dip. It's a nice improvement over the first in some ways, and a step in the wrong direction in some others. It's fun, but the well will still dry up fast without solid post launch support in a timely manner. After you've completed the raid there's not much there to come back for unless you're crazy about Destiny's PVP. And even as someone with a group who can do flawless trials etc, I just don't care enough. In fact I'd rather not have to deal with it at all.

Missing the fresh experience of the launch will heavily diminish the overall experience I think too. It's not a great sign when people who have played like 50 hours are already capped in a loot based game. And no the issue is not that it's easier to get gear, that's a welcome relief. It's that there's not a lot of variety. Everything has been simplified to a point where it can be properly balanced for PVE and PVP in parallel and it just doesn't work.

I would have bought it at launch but the longer it takes, the less desire I have to ever play it. There's just so many other interesting PC games to fill the void that it might as well not exist for me.

Not me, its a mediocre game compared to Blizzard titles. It shouldn't have ever been hosted on the Battle.Net client. You have a roster of Blizzard-quality polished maintainted games and then you have the turd that is Destiny 2.

I'm really excited, loved the beta. I just wish I had friends to play with :(
Not me, its a mediocre game compared to Blizzard titles. It shouldn't have ever been hosted on the Battle.Net client. You have a roster of Blizzard-quality polished maintainted games and then you have the turd that is Destiny 2.
Are you serious? If destiny is a bad game then Diablo and Hots are shit. I can't stand blizzard white knights.

Strakt

Some hype is lost do to how goddamn negative a lot of people are but in the OT people seem to still be having some fun. Being that I never played the first I think a lot of the disappointment from long time fans and Destiny 1.5 talk won't apply to me.

Still excited cause I'm sure I'll have a good time but missing out on the launch hype really sucks.

The launch hype will still exist as im sure it will bring a whole new fanbase of people who don't own consoles or simply hate playing FPS @ 30 fps with a controller. The only thing that kinda sucks is that people who played both versions will know the game in and out. I'm glad that at least the future of destiny 2 gets released at the same time on every platform.

Disagree completely. You repeat this over and over again in every single post you make about destiny 2 pc.

I'm not really sure. People keep saying that this is 'a game with you friends' through and through, and I don't have friends who'll be playing the game.

Not defending the quality of the game, but what does it being on Blizzard's app have to do with anything?

Strakt

I'm not really sure. People keep saying that this is 'a game with you friends' through and through, and I don't have friends who'll be playing the game.

It's a better game to play with friends, but you can do every piece of content solo especially since they added a matchmaking system for all end game content. If you want to progress to Prestige (hardest difficulty) modes, then you'll probably have to use one of those LFG sites.

It certainly pales in comparison to Diablo (And WoW), in fact that and Path of Exile are the two games it needs to examine most closely. FPS versions of those games would be rather incredible, which is what Destiny could be. Instead of straddling the line between an MMO and a Loot based action game but doing neither competently enough to make itself stand out. Blizzard doesn't have any other Co-op PVE games as far as I'm aware.

Pepboy

Eh, I was excited, but just seems like more of the same. I'll definitely pick it up once it's cheaper and/or comes with all of the DLC.

Yeah, I can't say I was excited that much after the first previews. But it definitely seems like more of the same, and I found that very tedious after the first ~3 hours.

I'll probably pick it up after it + all expansions can be gotten for $5 - $7. But I'm not sure if it will hit that price before they shut down servers in preparation for Destiny 4 or whatever they're on by that point.

Brannon

I got a chance to get the game for $40 on PS4, so I bought it, and it's nice, but I'm abandoning it for the PC version the moment it comes out.

Horse blinders vs eagle vision. Fuck sake man a gun doesn't have to take up THAT much real estate.

Not defending the quality of the game, but what does it being on Blizzard's app have to do with anything?

Because its being integrated with the Battle.Net community and is inherently going to be put up against Blizzard titles. You open the Battle.Net client and you see WoW, SC2, D3, SC:R, Overwatch, etc., genre-defining titles with the gameplay and polish to back it up. Then you have the odd stepchild that is Destiny 2. There's prestige here and Bungie's title doesn't fit here.

Not enough to double dip. It's a nice improvement over the first in some ways, and a step in the wrong direction in some others. It's fun, but the well will still dry up fast without solid post launch support in a timely manner. After you've completed the raid there's not much there to come back for unless you're crazy about Destiny's PVP. And even as someone with a group who can do flawless trials etc, I just don't care enough. In fact I'd rather not have to deal with it at all.

Missing the fresh experience of the launch will heavily diminish the overall experience I think too. It's not a great sign when people who have played like 50 hours are already capped in a loot based game. And no the issue is not that it's easier to get gear, that's a welcome relief. It's that there's not a lot of variety. Everything has been simplified to a point where it can be properly balanced for PVE and PVP in parallel and it just doesn't work.

Also PS because of the inevitable responses about 50 hours being a good amount of time for a game. I agree, but the thing is 40 of those hours are just rerunning the same, unmodified (For the most part) content to get the same gear at a higher light level.

_woLf

Honestly I'm really having fun on PC but I do noooot want to have to start over.

I may wait for that blessed day where cross save is a thing, if that day ever comes.

I'm very excited, finally after 10 years we get the Halo experience on PC again 😸

and the best deal for the base game right now is $49.20 on GreenManGaming if you use code SAVEDESTINY2 https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/destiny-2-pc/

Heroes of the Storm is the definition of mediocre

and none of the Battle.net games are any better than Bungie's library, except for maybe Starcraft

Because its being integrated with the Battle.Net community and is inherently going to be put up against Blizzard titles. You open the Battle.Net client and you see WoW, SC2, D3, SC:R, Overwatch, etc., genre-defining titles with the gameplay and polish to back it up. Then you have the odd stepchild that is Destiny 2. There's prestige here and Bungie's title doesn't fit here.
The fact that you put Diablo 3 as genre defining title with gameplay and polish says A LOT about your gaming tastes.

Cleve

I'm excited for it. I burned myself out a bit on PS4, but this will be my chance to pay it with my main gaming crew.

I might go for it. The idea of Destiny 2 on PC is really exciting, but my main issue is that I've already played so much of it on console. I'd burn myself out on it really quickly at this rate, and I don't want to do that.

Plus, I feel like I'd just get Uriel's Gift or Jiangshi AR4 in the first faction engram I open, and that'd make me go into a blood rage.

The fact that you put Diablo 3 as genre defining title with gameplay and polish says A LOT about your gaming tastes.

Haha if you look at the old Diablo threads you can see me as one of the posters being disappointed with how the game turned out. But that does not mean I don't recognize what it had done for the ARPG genre.

My point is that Destiny 2 brings no clout to the table to Blizzard's roster. You want an MMO? You have WoW, why go for a poor version of an MMO? You want a shooter? Overwatch is there for you. You want a loothunt? Well you have WoW and Diablo 3, the former borrowing heavily from the latter in its current content.

Strakt

I'm very excited, finally after 10 years we get the Halo experience on PC again 😸

and the best deal for the base game right now is $49.20 on GreenManGaming if you use code SAVEDESTINY2 https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/destiny-2-pc/

This is one of the main reasons I'm excited. Loved the PVP from the PC beta.. it felt like playing halo.. and the gunplay in general is really good in destiny... and I finally get to experience it on a 1440p monitor @ 144hz

molnizzle

You're out of your mind.

Destiny 2 will play extremely well with the Blizzard fanbase.

Not excited at all. But, since Green Man Gaming won't allow me to cancel my pre-order because "it's tied to the beta key" they've already issued, I guess I'll play the story missions eventually.

I'm very excited, finally after 10 years we get the Halo experience on PC again ��

Sorry to tell you it tries at times to reach that level of Halo in 1-3 and ODST. But the campaign itself just falls utterly flat comparative to the earlier Halo titles. There's a few set piece moments that reach for it, and try. Especially in later levels with vehicles that try to Evoke the scorpion tank or ghosts. But due to the nature of the game and design decisions (Maybe for accessibility?) it just never approaches the fantastic frenetic design and sprawling maps that Halo did so well. And you'll likely never feel challenged. There are no difficulty levels and you can't replay the campaign once finished. No modifiers either. You'll still surely have fun, but Halo it is not. The MP doesn't come close either :( too limited and restrictive.

Strakt

Haha if you look at the old Diablo threads you can see me as one of the posters being disappointed with how the game turned out. But that does not mean I don't recognize what it had done for the ARPG genre.

My point is that Destiny 2 brings no clout to the table to Blizzard's roster. You want an MMO? You have WoW, why go for a poor version of an MMO? You want a shooter? Overwatch is there for you. You want a loothunt? Well you have WoW and Diablo 3, the former borrowing heavily from the latter in its current content.

Because WoW doesn't have guns? Overwatch is a shooter but it has nothing to do with destiny 2; thats a team oriented hero shooter while Destiny 2 is a looter shooter. Your logic is absolutely flawed. I know tons of people who are excited for it especially since most of the games they play are on battle.net. Either way, its gonna be on battle.net and I'm glad it is.. so let the salt flow through you.

You're out of your mind.

Destiny 2 will play extremely well with the Blizzard fanbase.

We'll have to see PC sales, atm I really doubt it. I'm an avid player of WoW and yeah people will play it, because they can do so for free via gold conversions. But will they remain concurrent players after the first few months? Highly doubt it when every MMO and loothunting aspect Destiny 2 has is done better in WoW.

molnizzle

We'll have to see PC sales, atm I really doubt it. I'm an avid player of WoW and yeah people will play it, because they can do so for free via gold conversions. But will they remain concurrent players after the first few months? Highly doubt it when every MMO and loothunting aspect Destiny 2 has is done better in WoW.

Key difference is Destiny has some of the best gunplay in existence, and WoW has bog standard MMO hotbar combat.

That's why people continue to play Destiny for months and months. The combat itself continues to be engaging. That's what sets it apart from standard MMO's.

Also "after first few months" doesn't matter. There's no subscription in Destiny. People leave and come back all the time. That's one of the benefits of it.

It'll be huge on Battle.net.

Pepboy

Yeah, but it's not that surprising that Activision will want to compete with Valve at some point, even for non-Blizzard titles.

Probably Battle.Net will become something closer to EA's Origin over time, filled with Activision's titles of any quality. It's kind of sad to see a mediocre game like Destiny 2 among the greats but it wasn't going to last pristine forever.

and none of them are a combination of co op, loot and fps so they won't attract the same person. I have played wow, overwatch and poe(not diablo) and none of them take the place of Borderlands and maybe Destiny 2 because they are extremely different games. Your post is an oversimplification of peoples taste.

Key difference is Destiny has some of the best gunplay in existence, and WoW has bog standard MMO hotbar combat.

That's why people continue to play Destiny for months and months. The combat itself continues to be engaging. That's what sets it apart from standard MMO's.

Also "after first few months" doesn't matter. There's no subscription in Destiny. People leave and come back all the time. That's one of the benefits of it.

It'll be huge on Battle.net.

There's no subscription for GW2, ESO, Wildstar, etc. either. Yeah I'm prioritizing Battle.Net here but the game is also competing in the MMO space by virtue of its (poor) MMO design elements. MMOs thrive on community retention, Destiny 2 on Battle.Net seeks to pull the Blizzard playerbase into the new title rather than have it stand on its own.

Again, the main question/gripe is will the Battle.Net community be concurrent players of Destiny 2 with its shoddy design? Doubt it. And if the title doesn't pull in the Battle.Net community, then it shouldn't be in the client in the first place.

and none of them are a combination of co op, loot and fps so they won't attract the same person. I have played wow, overwatch and poe(not diablo) and none of them take the place of Borderlands and maybe Destiny 2 because they are extremely different games. Your post is an oversimplification of peoples taste.

If only they had seperated PVP and PVE. And aspired to come at it from an approach like Diablo or POE though. The PVE could have been splendid instead of Mediocre.

SeanTSC

I'm still trying to be excited but October is so fucking packed with crazy games that I'm not sure that I'll even pick it up at this point. I only have so much energy anymore.

n0razi

Me

Loved D1 on PS4 but gamepad controls definitely held it back. Also looking forward to seeing it in action at 144Hz.

120v

i'm pretty stoked. not particularly the hugest Destiny fan but i had tons of fun kicking back after work with the first game though i just couldn't justify paying PS+ for one game so i quit after a few months

not expecting Game of the Generation or anything i just want a loot shooter on PC i can chill out with, mess around with PvE when i'm feeling competitive. i expect it to be my go-to for years

I know they like to call warframe an mmo but it's not an mmo so comparing to wow seems extremely silly to me. The two games it can be compared to on pc are Borderlands 2 which sold 8 million and still has a a couple thousand people playing it on Steam years later with no new content and Warframe which is still very popular.

There's no subscription for GW2, ESO, Wildstar, etc. either. Yeah I'm prioritizing Battle.Net here but the game is also competing in the MMO space by virtue of its (poor) MMO design elements. MMOs thrive on community retention, Destiny 2 on Battle.Net seeks to pull the Blizzard playerbase into the new title rather than have it stand on its own.

Again, the main question/gripe is will the Battle.Net community be concurrent players of Destiny 2 with its shoddy design? Doubt it. And if the title doesn't pull in the Battle.Net community, then it shouldn't be in the client in the first place.

If you think the only way destiny on PC is a success is it WoW quit wow for it that's a bit silly.

Top Bottom