• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Utah cheerleaders chanting racial slur being investigated by district

The roughly 10-second video was shared widely on social media platforms. In it, the five girls are heard taking turns saying ”F--- n------" and laughing into the camera.
An investigation is underway into a video circulated on social media Monday night showing a group of Weber High School students chanting racial slurs and vulgarities, a Weber School District spokesman said.
District spokesman Lane Findlay said the girls in the video are juniors and seniors at Weber High, and three of them participate on the school's cheerleading team.
Findlay said that, based on interviews with the three of the girls, the video appears to have been filmed last year during the school's fall break. The girls recorded themselves inside a vehicle that was not on school property, he said, and the students were not participating in a campus activity at the time.
”The students were on a trip outside of school on their own personal time," Findlay said in a statement.
But Findlay said in an interview that the video has caused a disruption at school, and that cheerleaders are held to a higher standard of conduct as part of their eligibility for extracurricular activities.
”Right now the focus is on the investigation and trying to answer all the questions that have come up," Findlay said.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...g-racial-slur-being-investigated-by-district/

Video: https://twitter.com/WarriorTy7/stat...g-racial-slur-being-investigated-by-district/

Keep it classy.

(Probably just mentally ill, right guys??)

stop this meme. My entire family works with special needs and mentally ill, challenging the narrative that mental illness is at times a factor in atrocities and such does nothing but diminish the work my family does. You may think its used as nothing but a cop out for white male criminals but if white male criminals help increase funding for mental health research and workers through this narrative than all the better.

MIMIC

Banned
They were saying "Fuck niggers," right? That inflection or whatever they were using made it very bizarre.

Zen Aku

I could barely hear them exactly what they were saying. Sounds like a bunch of screaming, dying seagulls.

But man, that's about as dumb as you can get. Showing your face clear as day and posting it on social media. Hell might as well pull out your social security and birth certificate, you couldn't have made it easier for people to identify you.

rtcn63

4bab992d8910219277b71f6e3fa33bc3.gif

Besides public shaming, nothing really is gonna come out of any of this. What's the best possible scenario for any action? They get suspended from the cheer squad for a week or two?

rjinaz

stop this meme. My entire family works with special needs and mentally ill, challenging the narrative that mental illness is at times a factor in atrocities and such does nothing but diminish the work my family does. You may think its used as nothing but a cop out for white male criminals but if white male criminals help increase funding for mental health research and workers through this narrative than all the better.

Racism being dismissed as mental illness is a real problem and you can't just expect those that have racial slurs directed at them to ignore that because of the "greater good" as you perceive it.

Vixdean

I mean, this is totally fucked and the girls should be publicly named and shamed, but why does this warrant a "district investigation"? Looks like they are in a car, not on school grounds or participating in any sort of school sanctioned activity. If their coach was egging them on with the chants or it was happening in the school gym I could understand, but this just seems like kids being idiots on their own time.

rjinaz

I mean, this is totally fucked and the girls should be publicly named and shamed, but why does this warrant a "district investigation"? Looks like they are in a car, not on school grounds or participating in any sort of school sanctioned activity. If their coach was egging them on with the chants or it was happening in the school gym I could understand, but this just seems like kids being idiots on their own time.

kids being racist. Yes.

It's also explained in the article about extra curricular activities. I remember in my high school this applied there as well.

The investigation will be to determine if they lose their eligibility and frankly they should.

The Kree

Banned
It seems that kids generally don't keep up with the news. If they did, they'd know people routinely get in trouble for saying dumb shit on social media.

Congrats, this is going to follow you forever.

Should we really destroy these precious white angels HS lives (and maybe beyond) over this? If anything this is an absolutely great moment for black girls to reach out to these girls and show the solidarity that comes from seeing things from multiple perspectives. The black girls will also take away something from this, and as such we move forward as a country.

Let these girls have fun and make mistakes, they're just kids and it's just a word. Posting this video was wrong, stuff like that is how you push people to trump. They can't even joke with friends anymore, everything is just too PC. Let's be real, who hasn't jokingly said nigger or made nigger jokes? Who hasn't in the heat of the moment playing a videogame called someone a nigger? This is as normal as burning down trees in the forest, typical teenage antics. Rappers say it.

RPGCrazied

Nothing to investigate. Its on fucking video. They should be suspended immediately and removed from being a cheerleader.

Should we really destroy these precious white angels HS lives (and maybe beyond) over this? If anything this is an absolutely great moment for black girls to reach out to these girls and show the solidarity that comes from seeing things from multiple perspectives. The black girls will also take away something from this, and as such we move forward as a country.

Let these girls have fun and make mistakes, they're just kids and it's just a word. Posting this video was wrong, stuff like that is how you push people to trump. They can't even joke with friends anymore, everything is just too PC. Let's be real, who hasn't jokingly said nigger or made nigger jokes? Who hasn't in the heat of the moment playing a videogame called someone a nigger? This is as normal as burning down trees in the forest, typical teenage antics. Rappers say it.

Ha.

I'm glad you got it out of the way in one post.

Dynomutt

kids being racist. Yes.

It's also explained in the article about extra curricular activities. I remember in my high school this applied there as well.

The investigation will be to determine if they lose their eligibility and frankly they should.

Kind of a slippery slope. I can understand the offense but at most they will be disciplined not much else.

MIMIC

Banned

:)

Got you guys covered!

If Black high school students can be thrown off their sports teams for kneeling during the anthem, Im all for entitled White brats getting punished for dropping racial slurs on their private time.
They were stupid enough to record it and put the shit out there, so they can suffer the consequences. Fuck all of them.

I'm from SLC and still spend about half of my time there. Weber High? Not surprised. The second you step foot out of SLC proper it gets even more white, Republican, LDS and racist really fast. SLC is bad enough at around 50% Mormon and 75.1% white.

Weber County, where Weber High is located, is 93%+ white and around 80% LDS. All of the demographics data I looked at shows Pleasant View, UT with an African American population between 0-0.4%. Do the math.

I honestly just don't leave SLC unless I'm going to Park City for some reason or driving to another state. It gets weird fast, folks. Hopefully this video destroys their college dreams.

danm999

I don’t know why but ending this parody gish gallop on “rappers say it” tied the whole thing together beautifully. Bravo.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Kick them off the team. Cheerleading is a privilege, not a right. They can always make up for it later in life by cheerleading for conservatives. They've already got the talking points down.

I'm from SLC and still spend about half of my time there. Weber High? Not surprised. The second you step foot out of SLC proper it gets even more white, Republican, LDS and racist really fast. SLC is bad enough at around 50% Mormon and 75.1% white.

Weber County, where Weber High is located, is 93%+ White and around 80% LDS. You do the math. All of the demographics data I looked at shows Pleasant View with an African American population of 0-0.4%. Do the math. Hopefully this video destroys their college dreams.

I honestly just don't leave SLC unless I'm going to Park City for some reason or driving to another state. It gets weird fast, folks.
I graduated from this school like 8 years ago. There was about 2000 people in it, and I only remember seeing like 2 black people.

Top Bottom