• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF in numbers (graphical representation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

These graphs contain data for the last three days, up to 30 minutes ago

Here we can see how many posts there are on ResetEra vs on GAF:
posts.png

Here's the same data again, but more to show the trends on the two sites:
posts_overlayed.png

Here's the ratio of posts on ResetEra vs GAF:
ratio.png

There's about 10-20 times more posts on ResetEra compared to this place.

The only stat that's comparable is how many posts there are here compard to how many new members there are on ResetEra.
members_vs_posts.png

Yup. There are more new members there than there are posts there.

I enjoy statistics, so I decided to create this. Figured it'd be worth the share.

Gaf will definitely not survive the actions of its owner. Talk about killing the golden goose.

Thanks for this. It's been obvious but it's nice to see the data.

Yeah, GAF is dead and quite honestly, I don't see it coming back. New threads barely pass a page or two in length. It was fun while it lasted guys, but I think the owner's handling of the situation caused infinitely more damage than the incident itself. If you haven't already signed up for the new site, I guess this is goodbye. Don't really see myself staying here when almost everyone has either moved on or has an account on the other forum as a contingency.

Take care, everyone. Shame it had to end like this. :(

EDIT: On topic, thanks for the data OP. It's refreshing to see it wasn't all in my mind.

Quazar

Pretty wild. Will be really interesting seeing this in 1-2months time. Thanks for putting together the data assuming it’s all accurate.

JordanN

Banned
Ruh roh. N64 sold a lot less than PS1. So did Wii U.

Maybe this is finally it for Nintendo. Pack it up, sell the company. They can't recover.

is2rrQy.jpg

Septimius

Ruh roh. N64 sold a lot less than PS1. So did Wii U.

Maybe this is finally it for Nintendo. Pack it up, sell the company. They can't recover.

Guess we'll just have to wait for the next forum generation to see if GAF can recover

Anyway to get viewership data? Even though most moved on, I assume most still lurk to see what's going on due to not being able to talk about it anymore.

Nope.

Quazar

Anyway to get viewership data? Even though most moved on, I assume most still lurk to see what’s going on due to not being able to talk about it anymore.

Typhares

Honestly I'm happy about the much slower pace of GAF now, it's nice to be able to follow things without spending my life on the forum.

Rare Pepe

Neo Member
Some of people, who left for new forum had 20+ posts per day average. They mainly shit up threads with political crap in OT, sometimes on Gaming.

Not all of them, but a lot of them. So people who post on average 20+ times a day will skew the statistics. Would be good to see visitors through Alexa statistics or similar. Would be a better comparison when it comes to individual visitors/readers and not people who can write post as quickly and as many as possible.

Time to move on OP, resetera talk isn't needed here. We are here for other things besides talking about another forum. If you can't stop then as per the rules I suggest a banning.

If you want to gloat about such a silly thing then do it in PMs in RE as they do not allow for talk of here either. Fair is fair.

ohlawd

good luck to the site. a lot of the quality contributors left. so all that's remaining are... yeah. maybe account approval will open like a dam and there's hope that 1 out of 10 new accounts are worth a shit

psrock

So the state of Neogaf is sealed because people who used to spend all day posting here are doing it elsewhere, and there is no way to recover from this. Is that correct?

Quazar

Time to move on OP, resetera talk isn't needed here. We are here for other things besides talking about another forum. If you can't stop then as per the rules I suggest a banning.

If you want to gloat about such a silly thing then do it in PMs in RE as they do not allow for talk of here either. Fair is fair.

Neogaf has mods. He provided some neat info that some find interesting. Do you have anything to contribute to this topic?

longdi

Banned
My football OT is dead here.
My Android OT is dead here
My DBS trickle posting here.

I dont need no boring graphs, im not sure how GAF will survive this calamity.

David___

Banned
Will this be locked/deleted? The writing is on the wall.

I mean it shouldn't be because

NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

The way the people exited this forum (pathetic trolling, harassing, attention seeking "ban me" threads, etc) I never want to be a part of the other forum if those are the type of people it's filled with.

Septimius

If you want to gloat about such a silly thing then do it in PMs in RE as they do not allow for talk of here either. Fair is fair

Now, this is conjecture. There's nothing biased in what I've posted. The official thread to this was closed, so there wasn't any other logical place to post this.

Despite this data, Gaf is still more active then a lot of Forums I've been at over the years.

Ever heard of Quality over Quantity? Just because Era is more active than Current Gaf, doesnt mean I dont want to be here.

mindless activity is awesome and all, and is what partly made old gaf great, it's still about the people, and I quite like the people that are left on Gaf.

Edit ;
The way the people exited this forum (pathetic trolling, harassing, attention seeking "ban me" threads, etc) I never want to be a part of the other forum if those are the type of people it's filled with.

Pretty much this

I'm on both right now and there are definitely some good people over there. Unfortunately, they are getting a bad name for all the childish stuff done over here.

Now, this is conjecture. There's nothing biased in what I've posted. The official thread to this was closed, so there wasn't any other logical place to post this.
I appreciate the data, so thank you. Always fun to see this stuff.

Kimawolf

Heh there are a lot of huge spikes and huge troughs in those graphs. Including posting. Look at the posting inbetween the new flood of people . Interesting.

But yes lets compare the brand new forum which got lots of coverage due to the fact it was a split from GAF. And of course people are going to post a lot there. It's new and shiny. Anytime something new is introduced it makes a splash and everyone wants to get a piece of the pie.

But hey you do you man. If this makes your day have at it.

PJV3

The other place is nice, this place is more(how should I put it) interesting at the moment.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm wondering how you got the data are you sitting there putting the front page values into a spreadsheet every ten minutes lol

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So the state of Neogaf is sealed because people who used to spend all day posting here are doing it elsewhere, and there is no way to recover from this. Is that correct?

No, it's because Official Threads aren't being made, they aren't being maintained, and they are barely being updated with posts, because there is barely anyone around to do so. Half of the forum is a ghost town and people are pretending this isn't the case. Everyone is making threads on the front pages of gaming or off topic but you can see the definite decay if you go past page 2 or go into the official thread sections. Even if you were to take the comparison away, this forum lost a gigantic chunk of creators.

And regarding that Nintendo comparison, at least they still had their amazing Dev studios to provide good content during those low sale eras. Imagine if Rare, Nintendo Ead, Rogue Squadron devs, and others had jumped ship during n64/cube era.

Septimius

Heh there are a lot of spikes and juge troughs in those graphs. Interesting.

I've actually removed the three occasions when there were about 200 posts removed on GAF. The one time Era is at 0 is because the site was down for about 15 minutes.

mortal

Gold Member
This is sooooo petty lol.

Post on Gaf or post on ResetEra, hell post on both, post wherever pleases you the most.

So many people are acting like this is life or death for them, when it's simply about wanting a place to talk about video games, among other things.

I've been forum hopping since I've had stable access to the internet. There are message boards that I used to post on that are no longer active or even accessible.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Last thread on first page of OT on GAF was updated 13 hours ago. Last thread on other forum OT was 25 minutes ago. Two weeks ago that would have been the same on GAF.

How is it toxic?

I'd like to hear this as well as I've seen nothing but positivity during the short time I've spent there.

Post on Gaf or post on ResetEra, hell post on both, post wherever pleases you the most.

So many people are acting like this is life or death for them, when it's simply about wanting a place to talk about video games, among other things.

I've been forum hopping since I've had stable access to the internet. There are message boards that I used to post on that are no longer active or even accessible.

I dunno, it's pretty informational for me as I was curious to see what the current traffic looks like on the new site. Even if no one else appreciates it, I do OP.

Two Words

How are statistics petty?

entremet

The real tests would be in months, not now.

Weirdly, GAF's hyper-exclusive vetting system is gonna hurt it unless it's modified some.

I'd like to hear this as well as I've seen nothing but positivity during the short time I've spent there.
There's an assumption that those who suicided their accounts here in really shitty ways went over to Reset---probably not a bad assumption. However, it also assumes they're the majority over there and for that piece I don't think it is true. There can be toxic people without the community as a whole being that way.
Hey, kind person. Please refrain from personal attacks.
huh? Who's this guy?
Back to that toxic site please.
This isn't a great look for GAF either.

psrock

I have accepted the fact Neogaf is not in good chape, most contributors are gone. Now, it's time to get new ones. Make everyone members, elect new mods and admins and contributors. There are way too many members who were just lurkers who might want to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom