• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF in numbers (graphical representation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

And even if you exclude Era's numbers from the conversation there's still a real talking point about how shockingly low GAFs activity has been. It's not about forum wars, it's how GAF has seemingly struggled to recover from a scandal (or whatever you wish to call it) that it handled in the worst way possible
This is true. Its definitely slower.

Things will pick up and the forum will evolve. New posters will begin posting content. A huge blow was landed to GAF one which won't be fixed overnight. But one will eventually sort itself out.

Averon

It is clear that traffic on this site has slowed down considerably. OT threads, if they are made, are growing at a snail's pace compared to before. Community threads are ghost towns. GAF desperately needs content creators to keep this afloat. EL may need to ease up in the restrictive site registration requirement and allow junior members to become full member more quickly so they can make threads.

Septimius

Man, the amount of mental gymnastics going on in this thread is terrible. Listen, I'm happy the remainder of GAF thinks this is good, but some of the things that are being said are just terrible.

The important thing is civil discourse and being unafraid of facts.

I'm not afraid of anything but I have to admit it's hard to be civil when you just want to be here to enjoy life and then the dummies from the other site come here try to preach their morality like it's Sunday morning at church.
Do they not realize they're the seagulls who shit on your sandwich?

Sephzilla

I'm not afraid of anything but I have to admit it's hard to be civil when you just want to be here to enjoy life and then the dummies from the other site come here try to preach their morality like it's Sunday morning at church.

Do you not realize most of what you're saying in this thread is the toxicity you think supposedly comes from "the other forum"?

longdi

Banned
Thanks.
TBH, i never noticed most of them except for the bolded

I googled it:

Administrators

Cerium
Emily
Methuselah
Nibel
Shinobi602 - is he the shinobi insider?
Sirpopopop
Sweet Nicole
ZhugeEX - something something about him being a fake insider?

System Administrators

deltaplus
Ferny
ratrosyu

Moderators

Aiii
Ana
Brazil
BronsonLee
Cheesemeister
Durante
Galvan
Grizzly
Hecht
Jayson's Rage
Jonneh
Kristoffer
kswiston
Kyonashi
Matt
MaverickHunterAsh
MiraculousSwidge
Morrigan
NateDrake
Penguin
RASCAL
Robin
Rowlf
Royalan
Slayven
Spider
Steve
Supernorn
Sylverstone

That's the thing, I dont want to be rash and make huge assumption, but a lot of these threads seem to be opened by Era members. God bless their soul, you can browse both forums, but I'm starting to look at my tinfoil hat thinking they orchestrate daily raid threads. I wouldn't know since I havent even seen what Era site looks like. but this doenst make Gaf nor Era look good.

Hey, kind person. Please refrain from personal attacks.

Which is funny, cause I’ve been on both sites the passed few days, watching both, and I’ve noticed this place has a much different tone than before.

No one over there is arguing, bringing up gaf or the owner, everyone’s very helpful, there’s even a thread about how polite it is over there.

Here, it seems every new account and juniors are very hostile. Like, I get you support whatever the owner did and people don’t care, but why get super hostile every time?

You’d think with the now much smaller community, the people that decided to only post here would be nice but no mostly hostile. No comparison, this place is much more toxic than era. It’s not even close.

JordanN

Banned
I still feel it is statistically insignificant. And some could just be trolls from VOAT or somewhere that would shitpost regardless.

Statistical insignificant or not, I still saw users openly bragging they were here for 5+ years and accusing people of supporting sexual assault.

I really hated that holier than thou exit, especially when they probably go back to playing video games that was made from brutal labor or they own many products that originate from China.

Septimius

This is what you say of yourself:

I don't need to know someone to care about what they think of me. I treat everyone with respect and kindness. EVERYONE. If that's wrong, then I guess I'm wrong. But, that's how I live my life.

Yet, you're steamrolling with your wild conjecture, and you don't just stop there with accusations of "coming from the other site", but you also have to tag it with insults. You're not saying anything that's founded, and you're hands down the single most toxic poster in this thread. This is your track record:
Just leave us alone thanks

I'm doing my part to keep this community alive.
I could not care less about that other toxic site.

I wouldn't doubt it. lol This isn't a dick measuring contest last time I checked.

huh? Who's this guy?
Back to that toxic site please.

You're posting here and not there. That makes me think.
Why are you even here?

Right on bro. Just move on. That's all I'm saying.

Pretty wild. Will be really interesting seeing this in 1-2months time.

In 2 months time, thousands of members on the other forum will suddenly have the ability to post new topics (there's a 60 days and 100 posts requirement), so I expect activity will explode again.

Nekofrog

Banned
This batch of Junior members lean to the gamer gate crowd overall, that's why gaf will never recover. Gamer gaters aren't constructive, they don't build, they tear down and destroy. That's their objective. I am suspect of nearly every Junior whose account was created during this fiasco and most of them have just proven me right with their posts

They don't give a shit about the gaf community they're just here to keep stirring the pot until everyone is gone then bam GAF is dead

And Tyler will let it happen without realizing it because he needs more members or the site just dies on it's own lol

Quazar

In 2 months time, thousands of members on the other forum will suddenly have the ability to post new topics (there's a 60 days and 100 posts requirement), so I expect activity will explode again.

Very true. Interested in more of how GAFs numbers will pan out. Reset community is set in place as far as I’m concerned.

notsol337

marked forever

Yeah, this is the problem with GAF right now. If you treat people poorly, they'll leave.

I understand that you feel frustrated, and GAF is important to lots of people, myself included. I don't want you to leave GAF. I don't want to force you to join the other forum. I just want the respectful discourse that made GAF awesome to return.

I'm not here to say one forum is better than the other. Let's just be GAF and let the other place be themselves. There's no reason to spread the toxicity that you see there over here.

numble

Statistical insignificant or not, I still saw users openly bragging they were here for 5+ years and accusing people of supporting sexual assault.

I really hated that holier than thou exit, especially when they probably go back to playing video games that was made from brutal labor or they own many products that originate from China.
I live in China. You want to boycott Chinese products which would make me and the people around me suffer for what reason? The actions of the administration?

_Aaron_

I'd like to see a graph comparing average post rate on GAF 3 days before the temporary closure to 3 days after. Because it seems substantially slower now.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'm supposed to help you? Ok. Let me know what you need.

How would the people of the other site treat me if I came over there and started talking this bullshit?

Bruh, all you had to say was "my bad" and keep it moving lol. Why jump through hoops?

norm9

Sample size still too small. I think we'll need longer period of stats to see if the trends stay the same.

This a good point.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm supposed to help you? Ok. Let me know what you need.

How would the people of the other site treat me if I came over there and started talking this bullshit?
I'm talking about helping yourself and how people are viewing things here right now. I don't need shit from you. I've been posting here for a long time.

JordanN

Banned
I live in China. You want to boycott Chinese products which would make me and the people around me suffer for what reason? The actions of the administration?

It was in reference to the double standards people had against GAF.

They want boycotts for all people they discover are horrible, but they go silent when they're ok with supporting goods that's come from a communist government.

I personally know China already as has intentional presence that's not going to disappear. So it's a question of how will all the upright moral boycotters who stand up to GAF go about boycotting communism?

This batch of Junior members lean to the gamer gate crowd overall, that's why gaf will never recover. Gamer gaters aren't constructive, they don't build, they tear down and destroy. That's their objective. I am suspect of nearly every Junior whose account was created during this fiasco and most of them have just proven me right with their posts

They don't give a shit about the gaf community they're just here to keep stirring the pot until everyone is gone then bam GAF is dead

And Tyler will let it happen without realizing it because he needs more members or the site just dies on it's own lol

People kept saying this but I'm yet to see this gamergate takeover. The people that posted the most have left leaving the forum feeling like a ghost town but thats been about it.

gun_haver

It's sad how many people got suckered into believing that "the community was toxic" narrative

It's such bullshit.

The reason for this whole debacle wasn't anything to do with the 'toxic' atmosphere of the forums - alot of the people who have come out and been saying that kind of stuff never posted before, and a lot of it is coming from people who were either banned or hated NeoGAF because of things like it didn't allow hate speech.

We all know why this happened and it wasn't because of 'political disussion', that's an opportunistic distraction from Evilore which has been utterly embraced by the people who were previously held at the gates from talking shit. Hell the standard of posting around here in that regard was the only thing besides the size/activity of the place that made it a place worth visiting.

Turns out those two things had a symbiotic relationship - one was made a scapegoat and the other is bleeding out.

Almost all Posts from Pablo have been polite and helpful this week. This thread probably pushed him over the edge, and now he's throwing a fit because he's probably frustratet after attempting to keep the forum alive (he's not the only one) Some members only seem to be interested in talking about how Gaf is failing.

Like I posted on first page, I don't care about activity as long as the people are cool, and cool discussion with interesting people hasn't been void this week. I find it interesting one poster makes a giant post about how new gaf is nothing but Nazi's and GamerGaters, yet 2 pages later that person was throwing a fit at every member that responded to them. We are all human

Mesousa

Banned
I feel like with the emergence of sites like Reddit and Social Media forums like this are on the decline in general.

It just feels like very old internet.

Endy MacK

I have accepted the fact Neogaf is not in good chape, most contributors are gone. Now, it's time to get new ones. Make everyone members, elect new mods and admins and contributors. There are way too many members who were just lurkers who might want to help.

It will get there, certainly. It's just going to take some time. There are a lot of juniors and lurkers here.

numble

It was in reference to the double standards people had against GAF.

They want boycotts for all people they discover are horrible, but they go silent when they're ok with supporting goods that's come from a communist government.
It is not a relevant analogy because the goods don’t come from the a Communist government, they come from people living and working in China. You boycott those goods and you are hurting the livelihood of innocent people that create those goods. Basically saying you want them to go back to a North Korean like existence. If you boycott GAF, you are not hurting the economic livelihood of the users at all.

Nekofrog

Banned
People kept saying this but I'm yet to see this gamergate takeover. The people that posted the most have left leaving the forum feeling like a ghost town but thats been about it.

there are literal pepe accounts and avatars in this thread. are you serious right now? if i were a betting man, i'd say at least 60% of the new jrs are just 8chan/voaters. that would explain their extremely hostile attitude towards people who have been here for a while, as they are simply just trying to drive people out further.

It's such bullshit.

The reason for this whole debacle wasn't anything to do with the 'toxic' atmosphere of the forums - alot of the people who have come out and been saying that kind of stuff never posted before, and a lot of it is coming from people who were either banned or hated NeoGAF because of things like it didn't allow hate speech.

We all know why this happened and it wasn't because of 'political disussion', that's an opportunistic distraction from Evilore which has been utterly embraced by the people who were previously held at the gates from talking shit. Hell the standard of posting around here in that regard was the only thing besides the size/activity of the place that made it a place worth visiting.

Turns out those two things had a symbiotic relationship - one was made a scapegoat and the other is bleeding out.

I personally never found old Gaf to be toxic, however I did find it somewhat sterile, almost like despite the heavy activity, there wasnt a diverse train of thought like I witnessed on other forums of similar activity. Should I complain when that train of thought was generally polite well meaning people? well no, but I did resorted to mostly lurking as I am a one year old Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom