• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF in numbers (graphical representation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-storm

I’m 37 and I’ve seen a few forum splits / forum wars in my days. This wasn’t the first and this won’t be the last. Time keeps ticking, the world keeps moving. NeoGAF will survive with the people that want to be here.

The way the people exited this forum (pathetic trolling, harassing, attention seeking "ban me" threads, etc) I never want to be a part of the other forum if those are the type of people it's filled with.
And this. It’s just a culture of self-righteousness and entitlement, and people whose self worth was tied way too much into online forums. It was clear that they thought they were owed something or somehow special than everyone else by posting those ban me threads. I mean, just GTFO and STFU already.

There's an assumption that those who suicided their accounts here in really shitty ways went over to Reset---probably not a bad assumption. However, it also assumes they're the majority over there and for that piece I don't think it is true. There can be toxic people without the community as a whole being that way.

Oh, for sure that's true. But if we were to actually crunch the data, I'm sure the number of suicide threads pale in comparison to the number of users who actually migrated to that new site as not everyone was vocal about their exit. Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if most people had both forums open as their tabs right now and some are lurking on here, but not posting.

I have accepted the fact Neogaf is not in good chape, most contributors are gone. Now, it's time to get new ones. Make everyone members, elect new mods and admins and contributors. There are way too many members who were just lurkers who might want to help.

This is a good way to rise from the ashes.

Exotoro

Ruh roh. N64 sold a lot less than PS1. So did Wii U.

Maybe this is finally it for Nintendo. Pack it up, sell the company. They can't recover.

is2rrQy.jpg
I can see your logic but it doesnt really work in the context of two forums

Exotoro

Slayven and bishoptl are mods there. Bishoptl lost his admin privileges here because he was abusing his power. Who in their right mind would ask someone that has already abused power in the past to be a mod on their new site?
Bish is not a mod on ERA.

mortal

Gold Member
How are statistics petty?

It's the reasoning for citing those statistics that are petty. I mean no offense OP.

The idea that ResetEra is seeing a lot of traffic and members posting relative to Gaf as somehow a big deal is amusing to me. Like why is that so important?

There are dozens and dozens of other video game message boards doing the same thing right now.

Even on ReserEra, they're treating Gaf like Voldemort. Referring to here as "that place", "the forum that shall not be named." Some people here are salty about the mass exodus.

It's hilarious. Post there, post here, don't post here, don't post there.

JordanN

Banned
I can see your logic but it doesnt really work in the context of two forums

Haters have predicted doom for Neogaf before the split.

Ex-Gaffers and those from the outside made it their rallying point to bash the site at any opportunity.

Exotoro

I find it funny that meta discussion was banned before but now they're the most active threads on the forum.
The mods have pretty much given up on moderating it and ERA has made a statement that they dont wanna discuss GAF. Honestly this is the most rational discussion I've seen about GAF.

Nekofrog

Banned
Slayven and bishoptl are mods there. Bishoptl lost his admin privileges here because he was abusing his power. Who in their right mind would ask someone that has already abused power in the past to be a mod on their new site?

if you're going to shit talk something, at least have your facts right. lol so misinformed.

Nekofrog

Banned
Whatever, I must have read it wrong. Slayven will be just as bad, if not worse than Bish

Most of the people in this thread -- including you -- will be on resetera within 6 months.

also ban me tyler

I would've been here for 10 years in just a few days but fuck it.

Exotoro

Whatever, I must have read it wrong. Slayven will be just as bad, if not worse than Bish
ERA is more transparent than GAF with bannings; a red box appears over offending posts relating to warnings or bans. If Slayven's going a bad job, it'll be very apparent.

That said he seems to be doing a decent job.

Sephzilla

It's sad how many people got suckered into believing that "the community was toxic" narrative

You're posting on a site where the owner / lead mod has abused his power on multiple occasions

Septimius

It's sad how many people got suckered into believing that "the community was toxic" narrative

It makes no sense. "I loved GAF for the community. Now that most people are gone, it's a good think it's only the small part I really liked that's left."

Won

As someone who keeps a curious eye on this forum:

All the community threads are dead.
The OT hasn't moved at all over the night, which is usually being the most active time on the forum, me bein in the EU.

Gaming side is somewhat not completely dead, but still feels far away from what it was 11 years ago when I joined.

Exotoro

Also when are we getting that statement as to why edit markers were removed? Tyler and the other mods have kept promising further statements yet we know less and less about what's going on and what the plan is. Keeping the userbase in the dark isn't a good look at this point.

BPoole

Most of the people in this thread -- including you -- will be on resetera within 6 months.

also ban me tyler

I would've been here for 10 years in just a few days but fuck it.

I'm not opposed to Era being a successful forum. If it turns out well and the mods do their duties properly, I will probably end up over there if GAF doesn't recover. Good luck over there I guess

Breakage

It won't happen overnight, but I think GAF can evolve into something better.

I've no interest in going over to resetera.

BPoole

You're posting on a site where the owner / lead mod has abused his power on multiple occasions

I've never seen EviLore unreasonably ban anyone. I do know that Bishoptl banned me for a month and called me a racist in a ban message because I typed the word "nugger" instead of "mugger" by accident in a thread about a mugging

Sephzilla

And even if you exclude Era's numbers from the conversation there's still a real talking point about how shockingly low GAFs activity has been. It's not about forum wars, it's how GAF has seemingly struggled to recover from a scandal (or whatever you wish to call it) that it handled in the worst way possible

I've never seen EviLore unreasonably ban anyone. I do know that Bishoptl banned me for a month and called me a racist in a ban message because I typed the word "nugger" instead of "mugger" by accident in a thread about a mugging

You didn't see the Screen junkies thread where he banned someone and told them to "fuck off, dipshit" And said a few other things that would get normal posters banned?

They are all new there so probably still in turbo mode sniffing each others hiney , and super important stuff is being covered off course, like how Adam Sandler touches a knee so must be a rapist nazi .

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
btw who are the bosses and admins behind era? Need a round down on their history in GAF.

I googled it:

Administrators

Cerium
Emily
Methuselah
Nibel
Shinobi602
Sirpopopop
Sweet Nicole
ZhugeEX

System Administrators

deltaplus
Ferny
ratrosyu

Moderators

Aiii
Ana
Brazil
BronsonLee
Cheesemeister
Durante
Galvan
Grizzly
Hecht
Jayson's Rage
Jonneh
Kristoffer
kswiston
Kyonashi
Matt
MaverickHunterAsh
MiraculousSwidge
Morrigan
NateDrake
Penguin
RASCAL
Robin
Rowlf
Royalan
Slayven
Spider
Steve
Supernorn
Sylverstone

dabig2

I wasn't a profilic poster at all with my 2.4 posts per day, but I still visited here every day. Sucks that it got cleaved somewhat. But I'll continue keeping GAF in my rotation of forums I read and I hope it can recover somewhat going forward. The site is more than just 1 person.

ERA is more transparent than GAF with bannings; a red box appears over offending posts relating to warnings or bans. If Slayven's going a bad job, it'll be very apparent.

That said he seems to be doing a decent job.

Nice, I always loved how SomethingAwful did that kind of stuff, and I was always hoping GAF would emulate it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom