• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Park DS

Meier

Best Buy hadn't received their shipment yet (they figured tomorrow), but we found one at EB. My girlfriend has been looking forward to it, so there might be some impressions later.

None at my local stores yet. This should tithe me over till Pokemon. BTW, I LOOOOOVED this game on PS1. I gave it WAY more hours than all my Roller Coaster Tycoons combined!

painey

Rollercoaster Tycoon has spoilt me. Theme Park was awesome back on the Amiga but when I play it now it just feels inadequate compared to RCT

I wouldn't exactly call this game new. It was awesome though.

It's an old DOS game, redone on the DS. It's my favorite of the roller coaster tycoon type games.

My only gripe with this game was the bugs. It had quite a few of them. One of which, which I hated the most, was visitors getting stuck in the wall near the gates at the beginning. It only happened on a very developed park. A visitor would get stuck there while walking towards the exit, and he'd stay there forever. Eventually all of your guests will get stuck there. You couldn't move them. You couldn't pick them up.

The problem that this created, is you could only have a set number of guests in your park. So eventually, nobody would enter your park anymore, since it was "full". It essentially was a park destroying bug.

Another problem that annoyed me was when visitors were exiting the park, they don't follow the roads. They'll walk over grass. Through rides. Whatever got them to the exit the fastest. This is partially what caused the bug I noted above (when they got stuck at the beginning, it was in the area on the grass that touched the wall and the gate).

Even with the bugs, this is still one of my favorite games.

You guys wanna know a tip? The first ride you should make is a large water tube ride. It'll skyrocket your popularity rating, and will bring in the customers. Place a few shops next to it, and customers will buy your stuff and make you tons of money.

theBishop

Banned
painey said:
Rollercoaster Tycoon has spoilt me. Theme Park was awesome back on the Amiga but when I play it now it just feels inadequate compared to RCT

I don't remember the suicide animation in RCT when you don't succeed.

Also, I like the stock-trading aspect of Theme Park.

I don't have a DS, but Bullfrog games will lure me into any platform.

theBishop said:
I don't remember the suicide animation in RCT when you don't succeed.

Also, I like the stock-trading aspect of Theme Park.

I don't have a DS, but Bullfrog games will lure me into any platform.

I too LOVED the stock trading in Theme Park. I don't quite remember, but I think one time I became a billionaire. I think. It was some large sum, that's all I remember. I then moved to Japan.

For the suicide animation..... I don't quite remember. The only game I remember with a suicide animation was Detroit (VERY old DOS business simulator). In that game, you'd open up your office window, and jump out.

Or was that Theme Park's ending when you lose? Oh crap, I can't remember. Too long ago.

theBishop

Banned
ComputerNerd said:
Or was that Theme Park's ending when you lose? Oh crap, I can't remember. Too long ago.

it was Theme Park. I was just saying that Theme Park has more personality than RCT.

Burnst

theBishop said:
it was Theme Park. I was just saying that Theme Park has more personality than RCT.
You mean how they just call some visitors 'Fat Woman' (
their mood is also almost always cranky too
)? :lol

My gf just bought it and it scores ok on the 'wife-o-meter'.. Too bad it's just a remake/port, they could have updated the art style a little. Everything looks a little dull (/outdated) compared to RCT 1. SimCity DS shows they could have done it..

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
These are from the DS Screen Shot Thread.

Find individual screen posts from Theme Park DS here: [1] [2] [3] <--clicky!

scr_011.jpg
scr_012.jpg
scr_013.jpg
scr_014.jpg
scr_015.jpg
scr_016.jpg
scr_017.jpg
scr_018.jpg
scr_019.jpg
scr_020.jpg
scr_021.jpg
scr_022.jpg
scr_023.jpg
scr_024.jpg
scr_025.jpg
scr_026.jpg
scr_027.jpg
scr_028.jpg
scr_029.jpg
scr_030.jpg

colinp

Banned
Looking at those screenshots brings back good memories and makes me want to pick the game up :lol

I didn't realize the game hit so many different platforms as well. I played on the PC back in the day. I think I might still have the disks around somewhere too! Now if EA brings Syndicate over to the DS I will be in heaven.

Looks good. Sure it's outdated and personally I prefer Rollercoaster Tycoon, but I will import this regardless.

Next up, bring over Theme Hospital and SimTower.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
monkeylite said:
Looks good. Sure it's outdated and personally I prefer Rollercoaster Tycoon, but I will import this regardless.

Next up, bring over Theme Hospital and SimTower.
SimTower was already ported to the GBA so I doubt we'll see it on the DS, but I do wonder what Yoot Saito is working on for the DS after Seaman is finished.

ethelred

I'm not really too terribly interested in Theme Park, even though I applaud EA for making some stuff that's definitely really appropriate for the DS (instead of the shitty shovelware they most delivered for the past two years, like Need for Speed and Madden games).

Now, SimCity, on the other hand... that's a day one purchase.

jj984jj said:
SimTower was already ported to the GBA so I doubt we'll see it on the DS, but I do wonder what Yoot Saito is working on for the DS after Seaman is finished.

Really? I love that game too!

I have made 6 15,000 population towers.

Any idea if they took out the limits? You can only make a tower so large because you can only have so many elevators on the PC version.

I want to make a tower that stretches the whole screen.

Got it this morning, only put a few minutes into it so far. Gonna dig deeper when I get home. Touch screen control works really well. They removed the cool original opening FMV with the kid and his dog. Now it's a boring video. Game ruined confirmed chuck it in the bin. You can now choose from a number of park assistants to help you out. One of them is a girl with a parrot on her shoulder. *Shrugs* =)

Alex

I think it's really great so far. Lots of charm, and a very nice aestheic. Nice little touches like the avatar selection and BGM selection are very nice.

It's more of a management focused RCT. I've never actually played this before, so it's entirely new to me. My only real complaints being not being able to cycle the direction of buildings is obnoxious and people chain litter even more than in RCT.

I haven't played much though, but do you ever gain the ability to place trash cans and benches?

Oh shit, after seeing screens of the game I'm going to have to pick this up. It looks exactly how I remember it back when I played it on PC (DOS?). This game is going to bring back some memories.

Alex said:
I think it's really great so far. Lots of charm, and a very nice aestheic. Nice little touches like the avatar selection and BGM selection are very nice.

It's more of a management focused RCT. I've never actually played this before, so it's entirely new to me. My only real complaints being not being able to cycle the direction of buildings is obnoxious and people chain litter even more than in RCT.

I haven't played much though, but do you ever gain the ability to place trash cans and benches?

No trash cans.

What you're supposed to do, is set the handymen to set paths. It's the only way to keep the park clean.

Burnst

lessthanthree said:
Started playing this last night, really fun and addicting so far.
Me too. Digging it more and more, especially when you have all the options (like research). But what the hell is up with just one savegame!? Am I doing something wrong here?

This gets me even more excited for Sim City. Does anybody know if a date is set for it in Europe?

koam

ugh.. those screens turned me off. Im not a graphic whore, it's just the style reminds of of those crappy low budget early 90s pc games. I was hoping for something a bit more like simcity ds.

jj984jj said:

I know, but with the DS (vertical) screens plus one touchscreen it would be much better. Has anyone here played a SimTower clone Tower Mogul? Because it was for vertical screen PDAs playing it was very simple on the touchscreen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Cant believe i didnt know this was out...so tempted to pay rip-off UK prices, £30 from the UK or £17 from Canada...

Kazenone

Ghost said:
Cant believe i didnt know this was out...so tempted to pay rip-off UK prices, £30 from the UK or £17 from Canada...

Urgh, I was certain this would've been at the budget price. £30? Sigh.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kazenone said:
Urgh, I was certain this would've been at the budget price. £30? Sigh.

In store its £30 yeah, play.com has it for £24 but ive got to wait for delivery I might as well just use VG+

Costanza

Banned
I'm having some trouble building stuff with tracks...I unlocked the water slide thing and it gives me a building to put up but tells me I need a track before putting it down, and the track is nowhere to be found.

lessthanthree said:
I'm having some trouble building stuff with tracks...I unlocked the water slide thing and it gives me a building to put up but tells me I need a track before putting it down, and the track is nowhere to be found.

There's an indicator somewhere that notes what you're going to build.

I forgot where it is. One indicator is the entrance/exit, another is lay track. You'll find it. It's right on the screen.

Maybe on the bottom right (that's where I remember it being on the PC version).

koam said:
ugh.. those screens turned me off. Im not a graphic whore, it's just the style reminds of of those crappy low budget early 90s pc games. I was hoping for something a bit more like simcity ds.

It was an early 90's PC game. It's a great game though. Graphics shouldn't be putting you off.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I spent about an hour with this last night. Enjoyed it, but was annoyed by some interface choices. Why have different ways of selecting things? In some cases, it's select then tap OK. Others are select by scribble/check on the icon. Some are a simple tap and it's activated. Most of this could have been done with the common single tap/double tap similar to mouse clicks.

And am I wrong that there was an option to set the speed much slower in the DOS version? I *think* I adjusted the speed and it was still quite fast. I thought there was an option to slow things waaaaaay down. Maybe that was just my memory of the Atari Jaguar version chugging along.

This makes the fourth version I've played: Genesis, Jaguar, DOS, and DS.

xcomp

Heh, I had this on floppy disks and used to play it on my 75MHz PC. Brilliant fun!

If I remember correctly, the original version didn't have special shops like this DS version does for each country. UK has a London bus tea shop and Germany has a Frankfurters shop... They've also taken some things out though such as the way punters carry around umbrellas when it's raining =P

The interface works brilliantly - better and quicker than Sim City DS, IMO.

Now I just want Theme Hospital for the comedy it provided! Bursting "bloaty heads", hairy diseases, satisfying epidemic rewards... I don't think zapping rats is going to work very well on the tiny DS screen, though!

jamesinclair said:
I wish it looked more like this

simtheme_screen001.jpg

simtheme_screen006.jpg
Yeah, getting to walk through your own theme park and getting on some of the rides was pretty good but the DS simply wouldn't be able to handle the workload. Too much to handle just rendering the punters in 3D alone.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fry's has it for $23.99.

I had to slow the game down a bit to make it more playable, but that's just me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
No thanks to the 3d version btw, leave all that walking through the park and riding the rides stuff in my imagination untill you can do it to a level that actually works.

Top Bottom