• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTSJOURNEY OF DREAMS (Wii) - [New screens pg 14]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the whole dual control thing. What's the point? You might as well port this over to the HD consoles. I fear that the Wii is gonna have a halfbaked NiGHTS game. NiGHTS, of all games. Damn you, Sega, you kinda suck for doing this.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Magicpaint said:
:lol

But yeah, I have to say my confidence in the motion controlling aspect of this game is shattered.

I have a feeling this was developed with the analog stick in mind (which is not a bad thing) and that the motion controls might feel tacked-on.
really? i remember hearing that back when sega still had a console on the market, they were planning on making a special motion controller for it. i would think that this game would be made for the motion control, but even so, they could probably still use the old saturn control scheme.

Eteric Rice

Juniors, it's on the Wii. Quit crying.

And it was probably going to be half baked anyway. We're talking about Sega. They're not the same Sega we once knew. :(

pongmx

I've been playing NiGHTS into Dreams for the first time on my computer and despite awful framerate (maybe due to the emulator or my two-year old laptop) it's been an awesome experience: tight control, great level design and colorful graphics. I'm seriously considering getting a Saturn just to play this game the way it's supposed to.
Can't wait for Journey of Dreams!

pongmx said:
I've been playing NiGHTS into Dreams for the first time on my computer and despite awful framerate (maybe due to the emulator or my two-year old laptop) it's been an awesome experience: tight control, great level design and colorful graphics. I'm seriously considering getting a Saturn just to play this game the way it's supposed to.

:D

JDSN

Banned
pongmx said:

Really? Tell us more!

Innotech

Banned
Im not entirely sure whether or not to call this game a dud just yet. We obviously dont know much about it and nigHTS was already in 3d (well pseudo 3d) to begin with so it has a precedent. Sega isnt just shooting blindly into the night with regards to how to make this game. But then again, these guys made shadow and....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
CurseoftheGods said:
So, are the people responsible for Sonic '06 working on this game?

BGBW said:
-Takashi Izuka is happy that he has several members of the original team with him; Mr Hoshino (Art Director) and Mr Hataya (Music Director).
-The New staff "have a passionate desire for the original NiGHTS game and are enthusiastic in creating the sequel." Izuka adds "This is a big plus for our team!"

This is all I could gather from the recent NGamer article.

Station42

pongmx said:

you should! you defenetly should!

btw, I'm scared about this nights on Wii, i still think that creations are bound to their creator...this is not going to be a good game, i fear...

(oh, this is my first post, wanna say hi to every single gafers :D )

I just hope they don't mess with the formula too much which is how these sequels ruin themselves. They need to strip away all the extra stuff, and transfer over the core gameplay to the Wii, and then they can start to add small layers of detail to the gameplay.

Guys don't worry. I had a dream about this game and it was awesome.

It is done in a 3D perspective where you are flying forward as opposed to left and right, and you simple aim on the screen where you want him to go. It actually gets trickey as the 3D environments get crazier and the speed increases. As well, you can press A to do something.

I had a lot of fun playing it.....in my dream.

ant1532

Banned
underfooter said:

It is done in a 3D perspective where you are flying forward as opposed to left and right, and you simple aim on the screen where you want him to go. It actually gets trickey as the 3D environments get crazier and the speed increases. As well, you can press A to do something.

pointing where you go?? Ugh.

I would rather have the wiimote work like a paper airplane moving left to right.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
underfooter said:

So the game will be good?
-In your dreams mate.

So I played NiGHTs with my friend last night. I never owned a Saturn so my previous play experiences had been very, very limited, but wow, what an awesome game. Everything about the design (visually and gameplay) is so fresh, and the soundtrack is nigh on godly.

I'm pleased to hear that the art and music directors from the original are involved with the Wii version, and I'm very optimistic about the sequel even without involvement from Naka. I've got high hopes for this one. Let's also hope that they put the original on VC because I would purchase it immediately.

pongmx

I really hope Sega doesn't screw up with this game, especially motion controls.

Anyway, I've playing NiD a bit and it's hard! I can't beat the flying, tadpole-like boss -_- (playing with keyboard sucks and framerate just got to 11!).

Here are some screen caps just to keep this thread alive:

n5.jpg

n4.jpg

n3.jpg

n2.jpg

nights.jpg

Naka's a bum these days and I'm glad he's not working on it.

Attention to those juniors just joining us: This thread is under the protection of Segata Sanshiro. If you shit it up, there will be a lot of explodo and headlocks, capishe?

Piracy is against yon rules, yes. Emulation is fine, so long as you own the original game. I believe that's the rule, or so it has been applied in the PSP threads.

underfooter said:

God, I hope that's not the case. I want the game to remain pseudo-3D.

jarrod

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
So, are the people responsible for Sonic '06 working on this game?
Some of them... seems Sonic Team USA has grown large enough to support multiple teams now given Sonic PS360, NiGHTS JoD and Sonic Rush Adventure will have all at some point been in R&D simultaneously.

jarrod said:
Some of them... seems Sonic Team USA has grown large enough to support multiple teams now given Sonic PS360, NiGHTS JoD and Sonic Rush Adventure will have all at some point been in R&D simultaneously.

Sega Studios USA actually had nothing at all to do with Sonic 360. It was all Sonic Team Japan.
The thing I'm worried about is that maybe Sega Studios USA HASN't gotten any bigger, and dividing up their time between Sonic Rush Adventure and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams will have a detrimental effect to both games.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Sega Studios USA actually had nothing at all to do with Sonic 360. It was all Sonic Team Japan.
The thing I'm worried about is that maybe Sega Studios USA HASN't gotten any bigger, and dividing up their time between Sonic Rush Adventure and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams will have a detrimental effect to both games.

Wrong. Sega Studios USA did both Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 360 by themselves

later

Interview:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162369&site=ngm

Our main focus is to design the game to be played with the Wii remote but for those gamers that are more comfortable using a more "traditional-style" controller configuration, they will able to plug the nunchuk into the Wii remote as well.

So it seems that the "traditional" control scheme is not using the classic controller.

And the main control scheme only uses the remote?

Innotech

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Okay, I feel better. It seems like the Wiimote is still the primary controller they are aiming for.

you shouldnt have ever worried in the first place. People act as if this game sequel wasnt originally planned to have motion controls. Air NiGHTS for DC was supposed to have a tilt sensor. so this isnt unprecedented, it is a case of the right controller at the right time. Sega was waiting (11 goddamned years holy shit) for something like the wii, not forcing a franchise to adapt to it. that is the main reason NiGHTS JOD even exists! This is one case where some are grateful the wiimote exists. Im pretty sure this control system will also allow for other Ips and new ideas that could never work before to come to life. So, gimmick or not, nintendo has struck gold.

JDSN

Banned
Interview said:
NGAMER:We particularly enjoyed facing off against the vicious cat boss Clawz in the original; will there be any giant cats in the sequel?

Takeshi Iizuka: We may not have big cats in particular in our sequel, but we are creating some really fantastic world of Nightmare and fascinating Nightmarens that I am sure you will all enjoy very much. I can't give you any real details, just that there will be a variety of gameplay to entertain you all.

Gaf hate confirmed.

jarrod said:
Yep... it was Secret Rings and Sonic Riders that were done in Japan.
http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=sonicnext
Sorry, try again.

Even disregarding that, the lead designer of Sonic 360 is Shun Nakamura, who is a member of Sega of Japan, not USA. Furthermore, Takashi Iizuka is only mentioned in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits, whereas if it were developed stateside he would have had a much larger role, seeing as he's the head of Sega Studios USA.
The mouths of the characters are also synced to the Japanese dialogue, while in Sonic Heroes and Shadow they were synced to the English dialogue.

Just setting the record straight is all.

Back on topic, judging by Iizuka's question dodging, it seems Nightopians will be absent. It certainly makes sense considering the amount of development time they've had, but it's still kind of disappointing.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I can't give you any real details, just that there will be a variety of gameplay to entertain you all.

Oh my... mini-game collection confirmed?

It just scares me!

Can't wait to hear more about this game. C'mon Sega what take you so long without Nights...

Next is Panzer Dragon, isn't it!? ISN'T IT!?!?!?

P.S: Sega is Dumb.

Tristam

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=sonicnext
Sorry, try again.

Even disregarding that, the lead designer of Sonic 360 is Shun Nakamura, who is a member of Sega of Japan, not USA. Furthermore, Takashi Iizuka is only mentioned in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits, whereas if it were developed stateside he would have had a much larger role, seeing as he's the head of Sega Studios USA.
The mouths of the characters are also synced to the Japanese dialogue, while in Sonic Heroes and Shadow they were synced to the English dialogue.

Just setting the record straight is all.

Back on topic, judging by Iizuka's question dodging, it seems Nightopians will be absent. It certainly makes sense considering the amount of development time they've had, but it's still kind of disappointing.

Is there any proof regarding the game's development time? I never recall Iizuka mentioning anything about it.

I wish they'd add more bloom. This is one type pf game that excessive bloom can benefit the visuals and overall atmosphere. You are flying in a dream setting after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom