• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTSJOURNEY OF DREAMS (Wii) - [New screens pg 14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

temjin

Banned
Hmmm, I haven't searched the whole thread but since I haven't found these informations in the US Sega website ... Did you guys know that :

http://www.sega-europe.com/fr/Game/564.htm

( the best in in the "fonctionnalités" part )

* raw translation :

- ability to wear masks
> dragon mask : Nights becomes a huge dragon and isn't affected by the wind anymore
> dolphin mask : -------------------- dolphin and flies ( yeh ) under the sea
> skyrocket mask : ----------------- skyrocket and benefits from a supersonic speed

- 7 worlds to explore

- Wiiconnect24 : trade items with friends, change the landscape according to the meteo channel

There, I hope my post wasn't useless.
HOLY ****ING SHIT!

NiGHTS 2 WILL BE THE GAME OF THE NEW AGES!

I don't know what it is... I guess the eyes... and the head itself looks a little wide or something. >_>
Yeah, it's as if his pointy-countour bits on his head don't start rising until further back on his head than usual, or something. Also, the eyes and something else give him Fish characteristics. So, no idea... Maybe it's just the angle?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Smiles and Cries said:
Can you imagine they had even more hidden masks that you earn from high scores?
What if they really hit a homerun with the WiiConnect24 feature?
What if this game came out polished and great?

damn you SEGA don't **** up!

I think it's possible specially with this new info that the game will only have 7 levels again. If that's true, it gives them a lot of time to work on each of those levels and game features. It seems like they didn't give in to pressure and are trying to deliver a compact and polished game once again, rather than making it longer. That gives me hope that they are listening to the fans rather than the critics of the time. We'll see.

Rlan

I wonder how the masks actually work though - I mean NiGHTS turned into a fish/dolphin in the original and a snow speeder.

KINGMOKU

This new news of awesomeness within the game(*Masks*) will only make it all the more crushing when the game comes out, and is universally panned by everyone but the absolute Sega hold-outs.

I love Nights dearly. It was one of those games that changed my gaming life forever, much like Mario64.

Like My call on Sonic and his crappy rings, I will be correct in making this call.

I will now go and punish myself for bieng realistic. :(

ivysaur12

Banned
moku said:
This new news of awesomeness within the game(*Masks*) will only make it all the more crushing when the game comes out, and is universally panned by everyone but the absolute Sega hold-outs.

I love Nights dearly. It was one of those games that changed my gaming life forever, much like Mario64.

Like My call on Sonic and his crappy rings, I will be correct in making this call.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is ****ing awesome.

ZeoVGM

Banned
moku said:

Sonic Wii was really fun. :\

KINGMOKU

ivysaur12 said:
Sonic and the Secret Rings is ****ing awesome.
Yeah, I loved the part when I attacked and threw my shoulder out of its socket.

I ****ing cheered all the way to the hospital.

Felt like a ****ing milkshake in certain areas.

AniHawk

moku said:

:lol :lol :lol

It may get critically shredded, who knows, but I seem to recall NiGHTS earning a 7.5 from at least one reviewer at EGM back in the day. Didn't listen then, won't listen if it happens again.

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
It may get critically shredded, who knows, but I seem to recall NiGHTS earning a 7.5 from at least one reviewer at EGM back in the day. Didn't listen then, won't listen if it happens again.

Hell, NiGHTS got a ****ing 6.0 on Gamespot.

ivysaur12

Banned
moku said:

You mean the part of the game where I can seamlessly dodge obsticles with an amazing level of precision, and home-in with only a quick swipe of the controller?

Yeah, that was awesome, just like everything in the game, except for walking backwards. But who the hell does that?

AniHawk

woxel1 said:

Damn you're good. I was jumping around NORMAL gamespot between 1996 and 2002 without ever finding a thing.

When players plunk in a new game, they expect to be able to figure it out quickly - an impossibility with Nights (official title: Nights Into Dreams). Even the best and brightest will scour the manual, page by page, to answer their many questions: What are all those funky loops in the sky? Why do I have to collect all those colored spheres? How come I spend as much time on the ground as do I in the air - I thought this was supposed to be fast-action flying? However, after an hour or two most gamers will have Nights sussed out - and then quickly realize all those psychedelic graphics conceal a surprisingly short, excruciatingly linear game.

The storyline, in a sentence: A boy and a girl have been sucked into a land of dreams and need to bump off the bad guy who's trying to turn it into a land of nightmares.

The gameplay, in two long sentences: Players control the boy or girl (one is chosen at the start of the game, and it's not possible to switch during the game), and wander through various dreamscapes, collecting spheres called Ideyas. Grab enough of them and the player can transform himself into an androgynous, goofy-hat-wearing character who soars through the air, loops and zooms through rings, and collects gold chips and stars.

While Nights might look 3-D, it most certainly isn't: The gameplay is set very firmly on rails. The player is tasked with navigating a series of courses in each dreamscape, trying to achieve the fastest possible time while still grabbing all the goodies. The game provides an A-F grade for each course, which has the effect of limiting the game's replay value: Most players will only go back to a level to earn that A. After that.... Overall, the game is too short, with only seven levels split between the two characters (three for each, and a final level that's the same for both).

Beyond gameplay, it's worth discussing the 3D Control Pad that comes with the game. The truth is that Nights plays equally well with the bundled control pad or with the standard-issue Saturn controller. In fact, players may have a slightly easier time using the Saturn one.

While Nights is gorgeous, it isn't even close to being the Super Mario 64-beater that Sega thinks it is. Ultimately, Nights is much too short, strange, and confusing to capture the mass audience that Sonic the Hedgehog did. Even so, it is fun while it lasts.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, I remember looking for their NiGHTS review two summers ago and seeing it missing. LOL Gamespot.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why the hell would anyone need to look at the manuel to understand how to play the game? How is that even a primary complaint? :/

temjin

Banned
How come I spend as much time on the ground as do I in the air - I thought this was supposed to be fast-action flying?
???
I spend about 4 seconds on the ground per level - from when I start, until I walk into NiGHTS.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
AniHawk said:
Damn you're good. I was jumping around NORMAL gamespot between 1996 and 2002 without ever finding a thing.

damn DAMN :lol

this is a fine example of why people shouldnt take videogame reviews seriously

ivysaur12

Banned
Ultimately, Nights is much too short, strange, and confusing to capture the mass audience that Sonic the Hedgehog did.

peeneck.jpg

AniHawk

It'll be awesome seeing so many reviewers saying that Journey of Dreams is okay, but pales in comparison to Super Mario Galaxy, regardless of quality.

Terrell

Segata Sanshiro said:
I didn't read reviews from any magazine but GameFan when the game was released, and GameFan gave it a near-perfect score, just below the score they gave Mario 64 in the same issue. I miss GameFan... ;_;

ethelred said:
That's even worse than the 6.8 they gave Shenmue.

And people thought Gamespot was harsh on the Wii...

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/mariokart64/index.html?q=mario kart

The original Gamespot review for Mario Kart 64: 6.4

Gamespot screws the pooch on a lot of really awesome games.

Also--the anticipation for this game has me actually considering buying a Saturn off Ebay so that I can play NiGHTS again. The lens died in my old one.

ProphetZG

Terrell said:
I didn't read reviews from any magazine but GameFan when the game was released, and GameFan gave it a near-perfect score, just below the score they gave Mario 64 in the same issue. I miss GameFan... ;_;

Me too. They actually LIKED videogames, and generally weren't trying to sound clever or show off how jaded they could sound (all too common now and utterly boring).

NiGHTs was such a wonderful title - for its time, beautiful visually and aurally, and full of the sort of imagination that makes videogames worth playing.

temjin said:
???
I spend about 4 seconds on the ground per level - from when I start, until I walk into NiGHTS.

This is just an artifact of the times. Full 3D games had just come out (Mario 64, Tomb Raider), and anything that didn't follow in that mold was considered to be a step backward in game design.

Kind of reminds one of how the Wii vs. Next Gen stuff is going...

dock

Thanks for sharing the info about masks/7 levels.

temjin said:
???
After playing the game for a while, I started experimenting with the on-foot sections. It was fun to gather all 20 ideyas before releasing NiGHTS, or sometimes completing the first course completely as Claris or Elliot. It was something I always hoped they would expand upon with a sequel.

Pachael

Virgin Wii said:
They kept comparing it to Mario 64 in that issue. :(

Uh, that's what everybody was doing at the same time! Both games were released practically next to each other... and while I really love Nights I was really expecting a Sonic game by then, which later dissuaded me from getting a Saturn. At that time I was lauding Sonic Team for not milking Sonic out...

...then we come to today, they're milking Sonic to death anyway, and if anything they should have done it with the Saturn to get it rolling, not Bug! (Sorry to Bug! lovers).

The truth is that Nights plays equally well with the bundled control pad or with the standard-issue Saturn controller. In fact, players may have a slightly easier time using the Saturn one.

Absolute crap. I doubt they even played it.

Muppet345

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh, god

I remember this generation again

I thought I blocked all this out
"True 3d"

/kills self

This is why reviews are worthless. People forget the bad ones (the majority) in a month or less and move on like they never happened.

temjin

Banned
dock UK said:
After playing the game for a while, I started experimenting with the on-foot sections. It was fun to gather all 20 ideyas before releasing NiGHTS, or sometimes completing the first course completely as Claris or Elliot. It was something I always hoped they would expand upon with a sequel.
Yeah, I did this too. It was like a totally different game playing that way, and trying to avoid the alarm clock was pretty awesome too.

Gwarek said:
Only two or three times in every NiGHTS thread.

jarrod

Banned
Nexus Zero said:
Absolute crap. I doubt they even played it.
Holishit... NiGHTS is barely playable without the analog.... no wonder GS tried to hush up this review. :lol

Who wrote this and what are they doing now?

ethelred

jarrod said:
Holishit... NiGHTS is barely playable without the analog.... no wonder GS tried to hush up this review. :lol

Who wrote this and what are they doing now?

The review is attributed to Zach Meston. Same as the Atlus US/ex-Working Designs Zach Meston?

ethelred said:
The review is attributed to Zach Meston. Same as the Atlus US/ex-Working Designs Zach Meston?

It must be. SEGA ARMY! I NEED 300 OF THE FINEST FOR A MARCH ON ZACH MESTON'S ABODE. HAVE A BAG OF CHEETOS FOR BREAKFAST, FOR TONIGHT
WE
DINE
AT
DENNY'S.

Zweisy1

They kept comparing it to Mario 64 in that issue. :(

I remember everyone comparing Mario 64, NiGHTS and the first Crash Bandicoot at the time. Which is a bit stupid considering NiGHTS isn't a platformer.. and Crash Bandicoot just isn't good enough to compare to either game.

Zweisy1 said:
I remember everyone comparing Mario 64, NiGHTS and the first Crash Bandicoot at the time. Which is a bit stupid considering NiGHTS isn't a platformer.. and Crash Bandicoot just isn't good enough to compare to either game.

Hey now, we don't have to tear down Crash to build up NiGHTS. Crash was a really fun game, and it more than succeeded in what it was going for.

Zweisy1 said:

Crash is (was) AWESOME. As was PS1 Spyro.

I remember the CVG cover that shouted "THE THREE GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME!" with pictures of Mario 64, NiGHTS and Quake.

Also, I've just been playing NiGHTS. I have to wedge my Saturn diagonally upside-down to get it working, but it's totally worth it. Kanes your thumb though, until you get used to it.

Zweisy1

Hey now, we don't have to tear down Crash to build up NiGHTS. Crash was a really fun game, and it more than succeeded in what it was going for.

Crash is (was) AWESOME. As was PS1 Spyro.

Both Crash and Spyro are solid platformers but just not on the same level as NiGHTS or Mario 64 to me.. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is though.

Koshiro

Yes, for the love of god stop bumping this thread, making us all expect direct feed screens to have appeared -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom