• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero III pricing (ebgames/gamestop)

AniHawk

Eh, just got back from Gamestop. Guess they just added all four GH IIIs to the reservation list. Here are the prices they had (because they're always right).

Wii version: $89.99
PS2 version: $99.99
PS3 version: $99.99
360 version: $99.99

I hope this is just a case of Gamestop/EB being screwy with the prices, but they listed GH:80s as $50 from the start and it hasn't dropped yet.

Narag

AniHawk said:
Eh, just got back from Gamestop. Guess they just added all four GH IIIs to the reservation list. Here are the prices they had (because they're always right).

I hope this is just a case of Gamestop/EB being screwy with the prices, but they listed GH:80s as $50 from the start and it hasn't dropped yet.

Damn well better have skus for game only for the ps2/360 versions or sales -1 here.

AniHawk said:

Haha? It is a joke right?
Rock Band get confirmed.

JESUS **** its not like they couldnt sell the actual disk for $20 and still make a profit. All the graphics are 90% reused assets and frankly no one would give a shit if they were 100% reused.

So if $89.99 was "next-gen pricing", is $99.99 the "we've got you suckers now" pricing?

Why would the Wii version cost the least? Cheaper guitar due to Wiimote slot for wireless?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
So if $89.99 was "next-gen pricing", is $99.99 the "we've got you suckers now" pricing?

Why would the Wii version cost the least? Cheaper guitar due to Wiimote slot for wireless?

Hopefully

Smokey

If it's that much you might as well get Rock Band..

..which is what I'll be doing after seeing these prices.

Smokey

I'm pretty sure these prices are going to end up being correct.

So after seeing these, what do you guys think the price of Rock Band will be(I know that's kind of a broad statement because there are 4 SKUs).

Tobor

If I get this...and it's a big if. I'll probably get the Wii version so I can play at my friends house as well. They all have Wii's.

For Rock Band I will go with the 360 version.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
LOL at all the people seeing this pricing and saying "Rockband!" when that'll be just as expensive or more so if you want more than one instrument.

There better be disc-only, or no purchase.

151fs903427.jpg

Yeah, to hell with them. They could just keep releasing songs for GHII. I'll buy this when it's in the bargain bin in two years. Assholes.

YYZ

_leech_ said:
BOHOCKEY.jpg
:lol nice

Wow, even more rediculous prices in Canada. If the Loonie keeps up then we'll be lucky and only have to pay $110CAD.

Rock Band please, at least it has more variety and online play (?).

It would be cool if the Wiimote is utilized by simply slipping into a shell. It means cheaper(albeit by not much) for us and more profits for Activision for supporting the Wii.

AniHawk

Here we go.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150237&page=3&highlight=guitar

Tabris said:
They won't sell the guitar cheaper. It will be the same price across all platforms.

Catchpenny said:
I think Tabris is determined to get the Anihawk owning of him posted in every thread.

Sorry I was so late.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6106775&highlight=guitar#post6106775

Mifune said:
$100 Guitar Hero 3 confirmed?

Damn!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6174530&highlight=guitar#post6174530

AniHawk said:
Activision (Activision owns GH now, right?) could always just charge the same, because they know people will buy it anyway.

-jinx- said:
No, no, no, NO.

The fundamental controls for Guitar Hero are a) five colored fret keys, b) a strum bar, and c) a whammy bar. The Wiimote has NONE of these features in a configuration resembling a guitar...which is the whole point of the game. Why do you think that engineering a shell -- which would be a brand-new design -- would be any cheaper than selling a special-purpose controller which takes advantage of the existing designs and economies of scale?

MisterAnderson said:
I'm not saying that a guitar shell of some sort isn't out of the question. But expecting it to be more than 10 dollars cheaper (if anything) is wishfull thinking. It will cost just as much as the PS2 guitar hero games regardless.

-jinx- said:
Finally, is it a HUGE assumption to jump from "the technology will be cheaper to implement" to "the technology will be cheaper for consumers." There is absolutely NO guarantee that third parties -- or Nintendo itself, for that matter -- will pass along NRE or BOM savings in the final product price.

underfooter said:
I doubt the wii version will have a cheaper price. Activision can and will make all version full price, and they will all sell amazingly regardless.

Davepoobond said:
stewacide said:
You're trying to make this whole issue more complicated than it really is to obscure the obvious.

Doing these sorts of hardware attachments will be easier and cheaper in leveraging the Wiimote: there's no way around that. How could it possibly makes things harder or more expensive? Nintendo has done all the heavy-lifting already w/ the Wiimote, and I'm sure they'd provide full specs and APIs to developers wanting to do attachments.

Putting aside far-out scenarios about the Wii not having the install base to support a new/unique design (not that there's any/much commonality between attachments for different systems anyway...) how could it possibly be more expensive or harder to run all the leads from the 'dumb' buttons into the Wiimote dock, vs. re-implementing what the Wiimote gives you for free?

Again, the Wiimote was designed from the very beginning with this use in mind (see: still-not-used guides on back and side of Wiimote). This IS an advantage no matter how you slice it.
let me just say this:

no.

Tobor

Why is everyone surprised by the $100 price? GHII 360 was $90 with a wired controller. You all thought Wireless would be free?

I'm not saying the pricing is good, it's ****. I'm just not surprised.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Emerson said:
LOL at all the people seeing this pricing and saying "Rockband!" when that'll be just as expensive or more so if you want more than one instrument.
Yeah but it's worth it for a game that has four different campaigns and is created by Harmonix rather than someone who's literally trying to cash in and milk it for all it's worth while doing a mediocre job (so far)

$99.99 for the PS2 version is the biggest red flag I've ever seen in gaming

They're over-estimating the success of the series. The end of the year is going to be crowded with music games, let alone the ton of other AAA titles coming out.

Joe Molotov

Tobor said:
Why is everyone surprised by the $100 price? GHII 360 was $90 with a wired controller. You all thought Wireless would be free?

I'm not saying the pricing is good, it's ****. I'm just not surprised.

Suprised? I think sickened is the word. Apparently, they're just going to keep raising the price to see what people are willing to pay. I can't wait for $120 Guitar Hero 4.

tribal24

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Suprised? I think sickened is the word. Apparently, they're just going to keep raising the price to see what people are willing to pay. I can't wait for $120 Guitar Hero 4.

exactly like the post above said there riding on the name and sucess alone-_-

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
are we sure the wii price isn't a typo?

:p

and we don't even know what features each version will have or even if its the hardware that is the main price difference in the wii version compared to the others

Valkyr Junkie said:
They're over-estimating the success of the series. The end of the year is going to be crowded with music games, let alone the ton of other AAA titles coming out.

They've sold nearly 3 million copies of Guitar Hero 2 between 360 and PS2, I'm sure they know how much sway this brand has.

But most GH2 owners can just buy GH3 without the guitar right? Or is the wireless Guitar required for the new version? I know they sold GH2 by itself.

AniHawk

davepoobond said:
are we sure the wii price isn't a typo?

:p

and we don't even know what features each version will have or even if its the hardware that is the main price difference in the wii version compared to the others

The PS2 version has a wireless guitar, the Wii version plugs into the USB port but uses motion controls, the 360 version has downloadable content, and the PS3 version has Dolby Digital 5.1.

**** THAT!

I am not even going to buy the standalone disc. I am not going to support this. The prices for GH is getting way out of control, and I don't want any part in it.

I hope Rock Band undercuts them by $20, I'd like to see the GH brand go down in flames because of Activision.

Top Bottom