• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
Joates said:

I'd say that while the textures and lighting is certainly better in GoW...but if you consider what KZ 2 is accomplishing (larger levels, more baddies thrown at you, destructable enviros) then it would be apparent that KZ 2 is the more impressive engine.

On the other hand, you can't fault 1Up. It's like comparing Gran Turismo to GTA, claiming GT looks better...well, of course it does, it isn't allowing the same sort of freedom in GTA. Basically, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges.

Fight for Freeform said:
*nods head*

*does the non-rookie thing and rather than moonwalking away, DDTs nelsonroyale*

That's right...DDTed!

20KB/s! w00t...I guess.

oh **** what did you do to me?

DDT or Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane is the first modern pesticide and is one of the best known synthetic pesticides.

Yoboman

Gotta give Sony some props for putting this single handedly up against the whole MS conference and coming out better than MS for it.

f@luS

More than a member.
Fight for Freeform said:
I'd say that while the textures and lighting is certainly better in GoW...but if you consider what KZ 2 is accomplishing (larger levels, more baddies thrown at you, destructable enviros) then it would be apparent that KZ 2 is the more impressive engine.

On the other hand, you can't fault 1Up. It's like comparing Gran Turismo to GTA, claiming GT looks better...well, of course it does, it isn't allowing the same sort of freedom in GTA. Basically, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges.
Beside some textures , lightning in KZ2 looks much better than GOW.Modelling, lightning , poly , animations , "destruct. environnement" , almost everything is really beyond gow imho.
We will see with UT3

Defuser said:
Megaupload isn't exactly fast for Singapore.At most your dl speed is 60 kb.Use utorrent,get the torrent and dl it. It's way faster,nearly 300kb.

oh i just realized that my house has firewall for its lan. so that could be it, as it makes all my P2P stuff quite slow. anyhow i'm grabbing it from IGN Insider now while i wait for the torrent to finish. thanks though

Watching the HD trailer, I can't say enough about the lighting and post processing they're using. There's a really nice quality of depth to it, everything look particularly solid and tactile. Whatever they're doing, technically and artistically, it's just spot on IMO.

Pretty surprised at how smooth the game is running at this stage as well. And with a ways to go. 0_0

Just to nit-pick... when there is no blur... the textures ect... don't actually look that good.

bscap021.jpg

bscap022.jpg

bscap031.jpg

bscap032.jpg

The post-effects are really what makes this game shine. So in my opinion there are certainly parts of this game that don't look that good... and things that Gears of War does better.

Overall though this is the best looking game on next gen I have seen. But not as far and away as I originally thought.

People + Lighting + Post Effects = OMG
Environmental Textures = Okay

GeoramA

Yoboman said:
Gotta give Sony some props for putting this single handedly up against the whole MS conference and coming out better than MS for it.
And we still have an entire press conference coming...Bravo Sony.

Defuser

I'm telling you,if Sony can make most people hate them in one year,Sony can make most people love them again within one year,I just hope that Killzone 2 trailer is just a warmup for a super awesome press conference.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well, just watched the HD trailer.

To say GoW looks better or on par is to wrong. Not arguable, just wrong.

The lighting looks fantastic!

But lol @ some of you guys. God damn.

USD

Just watched it in 720p. It doesn't totally blow everything else away, but it compares favorably to the best looking games we've seen so far, and it has a bit of scale there as well.

For anyone who thinks this game is not OMG quality you really need to watch the 720p version. I am impressed and hope the game is as intense as that trailer makes it out to be.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Karma Kramer said:
Just to nit-pick... when there is no blur... the textures ect... don't actually look that good.

The post-effects are really what makes this game shine. So in my opinion there are certainly parts of this game that don't look that good... and things that Gears of War does better.

Overall though this is the best looking game on next gen I have seen. But not as far and away as I originally thought.

They're taking the MGS4 approach IMO. MGS4 exhibits some of the flaws that this does (low-res textures for environments, relatively low-poly environments), but in motion it gets hidden very well. It will be very interesting to see the new MGS4 trailer and whether or not they have improved on its shortcomings.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Fight for Freeform said:

Gears of War gives looks really nice but has faked lightmaps where as this and COD4 both have real dynamic lighting. Its just that Gears fakes it really really well. KZ2 is technically way ahead of Gears.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
omg rite said:

You've changed your opinion since the chat now?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks good, lots of stuff going on. Animation is really good and the action is hectic. But they kinda cheaped out on the level. The 2005 level showed a more open environment and then storming a city wall. This level takes place in narrow streets, not that it doesn't look impressive or anything. But it's going to be a really beautiful game and to think it will be even better looking in final form.

uncdeez

MickeyKnox said:
Yeah.... NO.

People are hyped because the gameplay footage is delivering the same intensity as the original trailer and still looks great (even though it doesn't match the console-impossible spec of the CG trailer)

Crysis is Crysis. It exists on it's own graphical plane, drawing comparisons to it is irrelevant since the Turks have a stacked deck.

What are you talking about? Killzone 2 absolutely smokes Crysis. The only true way to prove this is by posting image comparisons of some of the best screens each title has to offer.

931665_20060328_screen006.jpg

vs.
killzone-2-20070711010754763.jpg

931665_20060418_screen020.jpg

vs.
E3-TrailerUSKILLZONE-09.jpg

931665_20060418_screen004.jpg

vs.
bscap041.jpg

Clearly Crysis does not measure up to Killzone 2.

The Jason

Holy shit, I just watched the HD version.. it looks ****ing unbelievable.

Matt from 1up needs to bend over and look with his good eye. Give credit where credit is due.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Karma Kramer said:

Yep. I agree. Textures on Gears does look better.

I still like the look and scale of Killzone. It sure does get the heart pumping...

You guys are soo easy to impress. Okay it looks good but not so much better than anything already available... I wouldn't make such a ruckus over this footage, altough the effects look quite nice it's plain to see some textures are alarmingly bland (just look at the walls) and sub-GoW level. Not that I love GoW (or the fps genre for that matter) much, but being objective, and I think I am, this doesn't look much better than GoW, if better at all. I'd say they're pretty much on par, but GoW stages seemed much more impressive to me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
3000+ posts.

171,000 views.

Killzone > Microsoft confirmed.

[It's a joke. Chill]

dabig2

They've got a lot of dev time to spruce up those textures real nice as well. I'm not too worried in their appearance right now.

Technically this game will be a marvel. Can't wait for later on. I'd also love to see the demo that they all saw as well.

chriskzoo

Banned
GOOD LORD!

How anyone can compare the trailer to Gears when the animation is absolutely sick, the environment appears to have a good amount of destructibility to it, and they seems to have finally effectively locked voices with the moving lips, is beyond me.

J-Rzez

Joates said:

I have to ask if you actually are feeling real life pain through this? Seriously, you're on a crusade, and like you said, no one is going to listen in this wankfest...

...And they have every damn right to be like that. I was watching the CoD4 stuff, thinking, "man, this is damn good for a mp game, maybe better than gears", then I got a chance to see this vid, and it's NOT as good as the original debacle they got themselves into in 05... But god damn, that's freakin' close... And, those environments are insane... The overall scope of it being pre-alpha yet, and it looks like that is absolutely crazy... This is beyond what Gears shown, I don't really have a doubt... With the months of extra polish yet to go into this game, it won't disappoint (maybe in the control department though, as that was my biggest gripe with the original)...

Those animations with the guys getting lit up, flailing around, then flinging the gun from their hands believably like that, wow... and the muzzleflash kill, wow...

I can't believe they so far came that close, and have that time to polish yet...

Sony just shut a lot of people up, and set a bunch of those flying only one set of colors all on suicide watch...

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
It is a close call between Gears and Killzone 2. Killzone might be little better. COD4 beats them both.

Pistolero

tahrikmili said:
I have no doubt Sony will win this E3, the price drop and bundle announcements alone will do it. Hell, even I will buy a PS3 come october when I'm in the states, since I can get a tax refund on it too. And I'm as blind an XBOX fan as they come.

Killzone 2 looks great, PS3 really needed a graphical showcase game and the reaction confirms this, but it doesn't blow away games already out there like Gears, or upcoming games like COD4. It's just great, and it should be, with all that budget and Sony push. If the gameplay is good I'll get it for the PS3, but the impression I got is that the gameplay is a bit like a FEAR/Black mongrel.

Nice manoeuvre soldier, to throw in the GOW and COD4 comment. I think the game tops the latter and far, far exceeds the first. Technically that is. The game can end up rubbish and play as fu**, but technically, it's the best next-gen plateforms have given L Lighting in the introducing sequence took my breath away. Animation is amazing. Very, very high geometry. Not in the same league as GOW IMO. But to each his own.

JoJo13

Banned
Is there any confirmation if the game will be running at 60fps or 30fps?

I'm guessing 60fps. :D

Again, the trailer looked really good.

Joates

Banned
omg rite said:

Look at some Gears gameplay footage on gametrailers and try saying that. The way you say its not even arguable is just stupid.

The Jason said:
Holy shit, I just watched the HD version.. it looks ****ing unbelievable.

Matt from 1up needs to bend over and look with his good eye. Give credit where credit is due.

Oh the irony.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
OMFG I just saw the HD version. OMFG! WHAT. WHAT.

Seeding all night, enjoy. (Someone might want to repost the link to the .torrent every now and then, btw.)

Lince

Banned
the HD clip!!! ok best real-time graphics my eyes have seen, to think the game is more than a year away really hurts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom