• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Fight for Freeform said:
I'd even say that the textures are pretty poor by today's standards. Not even on the level of Resistance.

The textures will undoubtedly improve, but it must be remembered that the PS3 doesn't have a significant level of texture memory. Much of the textures are going to be constantly paged in and out of memory, so it's going to be interesting to see how well they pull that off in an action game (if we were looking at a highly linear game like GT5 we could logically page in textures given the cars direction and so on, not so with an FPS).

This is why they're focusing so much on post processing and lighting and shadows. And it works fantastically for this game. Just remarkably well. You're not going to be standing perfectly still looking at a wall in this game, I assure you.

Akira

Wow at the lighting and atmosphere! Good job, Guerilla! If Sony hasn't bought them yet...now's the time! I seriously didn't expect it to look this good, but I'm glad they proved me wrong.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
joshcryer said:
The textures will undoubtedly improve, but it must be remembered that the PS3 doesn't have a significant level of texture memory. Much of the textures are going to be constantly paged in and out of memory, so it's going to be interesting to see how well they pull that off in an action game (if we were looking at a highly linear game like GT5 we could logically page in textures given the cars direction and so on, not so with an FPS).

This is why they're focusing so much on post processing and lighting and shadows. And it works fantastically for this game. Just remarkably well. You're not going to be standing perfectly still looking at a wall in this game, I assure you.

The textures dont really need to improve, the film grain masks it. Its insane the way its used, gives it a great epic movie feel.

Ceb

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the music. What's in the trailer is really good for "military" type of music. It makes me think of stuff like Terminator and Predator.

Kinan

Eurogamer impressions are up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=79403

Good read.

Shot in the neck, a Helghast trooper gropes his throat theatrically before trying to return his hands to his gun and taking more bullets in the chest and hips, twisting as each impact shatters his capacity to respond. Elsewhere a frag grenade lands in amongst his friends, and the explosion blows them to their knees and onto their faces. Herman Hurst, MD of Guerrilla, tells us afterwards that enemies react differently not just based on the game's interpretation of positional damage, but also the weapon used.

Probably the most striking thing, however, is that it's a good three or four minutes before we notice something that punctures the atmosphere: the slight tagging of a wall by an allied soldier as he turns a corner, as his character-model's reaction to the scenery overrides his animations.

Ryudo said:
The textures dont really need to improve, the film grain masks it. Its insane the way its used, gives it a great epic movie feel.

Yeah that film grain hides so much nasty its amazing. Its so clever of GG... I am pissed I didn't think of it myself.

RaijinFY

Ceb said:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the music. What's in the trailer is really good for "military" type of music. It makes me think of stuff like Terminator and Predator.

Indeed, the music is awesome too.

Joates said:
Ive already said the graphics look great, theres no denying it. But its not this "second coming" of graphics you guys are making it out to be. And the reactions to the 1up article are absolutely ridiculous. Anything short of "best graphics Ive ever seen" and you guys would have had your pitchforks ready. Its true. They praised the game, but apparently they didnt praise it enough for you all. Do you realize how dumb that is?
I agree with this, but I think it's pretty much expected behavior on the internet.

Yoboman

Heyyyy what's with this extension on my tag?:lol

"blinder than you"

:( Mean.

Can one of the mods fix it so the "smarter" part is the link rather than the "you", it'll look better that way :D

Raistlin

Ceb said:

The music and the sound effects are amazing IMO.

Between this and Mass Effect, we are really starting to get some movie quality audio IMO.

jiggle

Love this shot :D
kill9.jpg

Defuser

Yoboman said:
Heyyyy what's with this extension on my tag?:lol

"blinder than you"

:( Mean.

Can one of the mods fix it so the "smarter" part is the link rather than the "you", it'll look better that way :D
Be careful what you wish for ;)

Y2Kev said:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the textures look good. Plus ps3 only has 28.5 mb of vram
You don't know what you're talking about. The textures are awful. THEY PROVED IT BY NITPICKING IN A SCAN FOR GODS SAKE, WHAT PROOF DO YOU NEED MORE?

Y2Kev said:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the textures look good. Plus ps3 only has 28.5 mb of vram

Yes.. but put it this way... the textures look like crap in comparison to the E3 2005 trailer... yet the in-game trailer in motion looks pretty ****ing close to the E3 2005 trailer despite this.

Thats my point.

Yoboman

Y2Kev said:
I think it looks fine too

If it got any sharper they'd be jarring. It's like what Kojima said about "dirtying" the visuals up. He talked about expressly not having high res assets everywhere because then it starts to look like more and more like a videogame

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Karma Kramer said:
Yes.. but put it this way... the textures look like crap in comparison to the E3 2005 trailer... yet the in-game trailer in motion looks pretty ****ing close to the E3 2005 trailer despite this.

Thats my point.

Oh, yeah. I agree with you, of course.

I think, most importantly, GG captured the mood of the trailer and pulled off some sweet eye candy to boot. :D

Joates

Banned
joshcryer said:
People who appreciate the graphics of this game, and who consider those graphics to be some of the best this generation are not turning this in to anything. It is those out there who have delusional fantasies about their preferred games who think that magically a game with objectively better graphics is somehow inferior. Killzone 2 has and will live up to the expectations of the fans, and it has and will be the best looking FPS out there on any console.

Ok buddy.

Woo-Fu said:
Just loop a couple seconds of a scene from the kz2 video and then note every single thing that is going on, both environmental and player/enemy models. Gears environments while looking quite nice are still almost entirely static. Doesn't appear to be the case with KZ2.

There is not that much going on in the backgrounds, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Once you get past the scripted beginning, all it shows is a few run of the mill firefights, and a couple kill shots.

The graphics look great, but aside from smoke in the distance, some semi destructible environment objects and maybe some lightning here and there, nothing is really going on in the bg.

Y2Kev said:
Oh, yeah. I agree with you, of course.

I think, most importantly, GG captured the mood of the trailer and pulled off some sweet eye candy to boot. :D

Most defiantly...

I think we are going to see a lot of copy catting in the next few years. Which is good. :D

Karma Kramer said:
Yeah that film grain hides so much nasty its amazing. Its so clever of GG... I am pissed I didn't think of it myself.
I think you are over-exaggerating how bad the textures are. The only bad textures I saw were the ones left after the pillars were destroyed, and considering that it was the result of dynamic destruction I can forgive it. Most of the other textures looked as good as CoD 4's, but below Gears. Although there are plenty of things beside textures that go into determining how good a game looks.

bud

Y2Kev said:

the textures were the only things that i didn't like. they aren't bad by any stretch but they looked a bit washed out, that's all.

regardless, it's amazing how close this thing looks to the cg trailer. gg :bow

Xzbeat

Looks awesome! IGN was overreacting though, it looks nowhere near to the 2005 trailer.
Looks about the same as Gears IMO.

Raistlin

Yoboman said:
I think it looks fine too

If it got any sharper they'd be jarring. It's like what Kojima said about "dirtying" the visuals up. He talked about expressly not having high res assets everywhere because then it starts to look like more and more like a videogame

I completely agree.

While I do love hyper detailed textures in theory ... when seeing a game in reality, it only works if you have a really good depth of field engine working. Unfortunatley, that almost never happens (and most of the time, they don't even try).

Usually you end up with something that has that 'PC' look to it.

Note, I do not like crap textures by themselves. That ends up worse than having all high-res textures most of the time.

I'm just saying I really like the way they are handling post-processing. It looks more natural ... or at least more film-like.

MikeB

Banned
Very impressive!

It's said the game will include fully destructable environments being able to realistically run tanks through obstacles, now seeing the concrete being shot off pillars showing the metal bars reinforced structures underneath IMO is technically awesome. Killzone 2 so far seems to completely live up to its hype and so is still my most anticipated PS3 game together with the more casual game Ratchet and Clank Future.

f@luS

More than a member.
Xzbeat said:
Looks awesome! IGN was overreacting though, it looks nowhere near to the 2005 trailer.
Looks about the same as Gears IMO.
Looking the same as Gears + much more things on screen + dynamic lightning + much bigger place to fight + much better animations .
Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom