• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

Xzbeat said:
Looks awesome! IGN was overreacting though, it looks nowhere near to the 2005 trailer.
Looks about the same as Gears IMO.

in terms of feel and intensity it does look pretty close to the cg trailer. they kinda remade the cg trailer by having that airship explode mid-air etc.

BamYouHaveAids said:
I think you are over-exaggerating how bad the textures are. The only bad textures I saw were the ones left after the pillars were destroyed, and considering that it was the result of dynamic destruction I can forgive it. Most of the other textures looked as good asCoD 4's, but below Gears. Although there alot of other things that determine how good a game looks beside textures.

Well when I first saw the trailer I was stunned how everything looked so good...

So when I went to look at those screens I was surprised how crappy the textures looked compared to the trailer... I didn't get it at first... and then I realized that it is the post processing effects that hide a lot of what you see in the stills.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Having just watched the trailer on GameTrailers, all I can say is I am happier than tornado in a trailer park for buying a PS3. I am not sure how it will turn out when it is complete, but the trailer certainly gives a lot of good feelings about the game and the system and I think this new generation just saw that Sony isn't out of this war at all.

J-Rzez

Joates said:
Ok buddy.

There is not that much going on in the backgrounds, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Once you get past the scripted beginning, all it shows is a few run of the mill firefights, and a couple kill shots.

The graphics look great, but aside from smoke in the distance, some semi destructible environment objects and maybe some lightning here and there, nothing is really going on in the bg.

Get some sleep dude, you need to carry on the good fight tomorrow, keeping Sony fans in check... Cause if you don't stop them, the world as we know it, will end...

Sean

Banned
Looks nice, pretty impressive. It doesn't exceed the CG trailer like Sony and Guerilla have been hyping, but it captures the mood of it pretty well.

As has been said, the textures are kinda weak but the post-processing (motion blur, grain filter, etc) mask a lot of the issues with it.

I just copied the HD MP4 version onto my PS3 and booted it up (my computer couldn't handle it..and thanks PSP/Flash Duo). OMG OMG

I thought the trailer was great before in the SD versions on the computer. But watching it on the 50" HD TV running all silky smooth and detailed. DAMN that looked good!!

WarLox

I just watched... and I think it looks horrible.. the textures looked so bland and washed out... and I didn't expect it to be so closed in... sigh...

Karma Kramer said:
Well when I first saw the trailer I was stunned how everything looked so good...

So when I went to look at those screens I was surprised how crappy the textures looked compared to the trailer... I didn't get it at first... and then I realized that it is the post processing effects that hide a lot of what you see in the stills.
This is actually pretty clever IMO, and it shows us how important post-processing really is in next-gen games.

Its really hard to say but perhaps without the post-processing CoD4 would look much better.

f@luS

More than a member.
devilscallmedad said:
So what's GAF's final opinion, COD4 or Killzone 2? ( graphically ofcourse )

Visual : KZ 2
Tech : KZ2 by a lot ( so many stuff going on and effect)

Though COD 4 is really really good looking

Yoboman

devilscallmedad said:

Edit: I think there is a 1up yours today.
Killzone 2. Not a competition IMO

It's like the difference between Gears and Resistance

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Onix said:
It's encoded at 60fps (supposedly, the game is running at that framerate part of the time).

That will beat the living crap out of most PC's.

Do you have a PS3? I'm sure it runs fine on there (CELL smokes PC's for video).
It runs perfectly on the PS3:D

Spoo

devilscallmedad said:

Edit: I think there is a 1up yours today.

I think CoD4 looks absolutely incredible. I really do.

But nobody thought what Killzone has done was doable (except for us hardcores :D), so, of course, I'm going with KZ. All the way.

nofi

WarLox said:
I just watched... and I think it looks horrible.. the textures looked so bland and washed out... and I didn't expect it to be so closed in... sigh...

tspaz.gif

Fitting.

Defuser

WarLox said:
You need a good ****ing slap in face.

just saw the HD version !

OMG this is soo good its hard to understand that its actual gameplay!

Sony are the kings of consoles and they know how to create hype,MS conference was boring and not exiting at all, not the part that I watched atleast.

I think Sony will show us some amazing stuff in a few hours time and they will hype the shit out of PS3 and they are right in doing so!

Now where is the nearest store, I want a PS3!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh yeah...that's nice...

Awesome trailer!

VonGak!

Banned
CreepingDea7h said:
This is actually pretty clever IMO, and it shows us how important post-processing really is in next-gen games.

Its really hard to say but perhaps without the post-processing CoD4 would look much better.

My KillZone DVD got scratched so the grain filter no longer works and believe it hide a lot.

I guess that's the difference between good and better developers, the same goes for MGS games.

Joates

Banned
f@luS said:
Looking the same as Gears + much more things on screen + dynamic lightning + much bigger place to fight + much better animations .
Impressive

Well, neither of these things were shown in the trailer, the others are arguable I guess (dynamic lighting...?), so I dont know what youre basing this off of.

J-Rzez said:
Get some sleep dude, you need to carry on the good fight tomorrow, keeping Sony fans in check... Cause if you don't stop them, the world as we know it, will end...

This is true, rest assured, while I tend to side with MS, the xbox fanboys can be just as bad, I just usually leave those counter-arguements up to the Sony camp.

Edit: Besides, tomorrow I will get a very late start, as I am actually going outside for the majority of the day. Cant wait to see this migrate over to the Sony Conference Thread :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
WarLox said:

for your own good. BAIL OUT.

llup_ton_od.gif

FightyF

Banned
Yoboman said:
I think it looks fine too

If it got any sharper they'd be jarring. It's like what Kojima said about "dirtying" the visuals up. He talked about expressly not having high res assets everywhere because then it starts to look like more and more like a videogame

No, they wouldn't anymore jarring as they are now.

Karma Kramer: I don't know if you played Condemned, but it was one of the first games (disregarding Silent Hill on the PSX, and the Xbox games that used it sparingly), to really push the grain effect to end up with a great gritty look to the game.

DenogginizerOS said:
Having just watched the trailer on GameTrailers, all I can say is I am happier than tornado in a trailer park for buying a PS3. I am not sure how it will turn out when it is complete, but the trailer certainly gives a lot of good feelings about the game and the system and I think this new generation just saw that Sony isn't out of this war at all.

Sony will need a hell of a lot more than just Killzone in they want the PS3 to get back into the console race.

Kinan

Ok, motherh tracker continue reporting:

Mother, is that Rico on the drop ship giving orders?

Indeed it is.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

Facial animations should be getting tweaked before release. They are a tough thing to get right on the first try.

I can't really talk about MP too much, but it should be a lot bigger (than in killzone). As for "better" I do hope so.

There has been a lot of mo-capping for the sequences and cutscenes.

nofi

Alkaliine said:
Sony will need a hell of a lot more than just Killzone in they want the PS3 to get back into the console race.

Like a price cut, MGS 4, Gran Turismo 5 and Wipeout?

I'll let them know.

Yoboman

Alkaliine said:
I think they should drop the $600 pricetag and give us a new MGS, FF, Gran Turismo and some great new IPs. I dunno if they can do it, but they might!

Joates

Banned
DieH@rd said:
And this is PRE-ALPHA BUILD...

You know what the best thing about that is?

1up alludes to that fact in their preview when comparing to Gears and people are still going batshit insane over it :lol

VonGak!

Banned
f@luS said:
Looking the same as Gears + much more things on screen + dynamic lightning + much bigger place to fight + much better animations .
Impressive
Pretty much what people expected. :D But I'd still like to see the explosions improved but that's more a question about adding more filters (me think).

Blimblim said:
Trailer is up on the european mirrors:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4581_en.html
US Mirror will be updated in 15 minutes at best.
Thanks BlimBlim

Doube D

Joates said:
You know what the best thing about that is?

1up alludes to that fact in their preview when comparing to Gears and people are still going batshit insane over it :lol

1up is has one up its own ass, as do you my friend. move on. jeez

Yoboman

VonGak! said:
Pretty much what people expected. :D But I'd still like to see the explosions improved but that's more a question about adding more filters (me think).

Thanks BlimBlim
Well like I said on the IRC channel, the explosions and general fire effects will probably be improved later, much like Lair.

The trailer's pretty good. Get the Blackhawk Down feel from it. If this was the first game in the series it'd be a little easier to get hyped though. Everytime I look at it and get excited my feelings are held in by thoughts of the original.

Joates

Banned
Doube D said:
1up is has one up its own ass, as do you my friend. move on. jeez

Please be coherent in countering, it really helps improve the value of your post.

Also, itd be boring if I just moved along, if you think Im wrong, just say so (saying why wouldnt hurt either, but I know thats a lot to ask.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom