• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonGak!

Banned
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Holy crap, they delivered in style. haters am cry!
I just wish they could find another thread to cry in.

Seriously, all this KZ whining make them neglect the Halo, Fable (THIS ANGERS ME, such a hot game should not be ignored) and MS conference threads.

ThePeter

Joates said:
No vas a la 1up!!

No es bueno, va a la IGN. Es muy bueno.

you... you stupid lady!

StupidLady.gif

Snah

Banned
Orlics said:
So is it safe to say that the Killzone trailer is 2007's equivalent to the E3 06 Halo 3 trailer in terms of impact? :D

No, it's safe to say that the Killzone trailer will go down in history as one of the greatest trailers ever released for an anticipated title with so much mystery and hype surrounding it.

While the Halo 3 trailer last year as nice, and certainly gave the fans what they wanted, it doesn't deliver anything close in terms of astonishment that we're seeing with Killzone 2.

AAK

alterego said:
Best looking console game so far bar none.

Looks better than Gears (especially the gorgeous dynamic lighting compared to Gears' static lighting), looks better than Uncharted too.

I'm Honestly shocked right now. I never thought they'd get this close to the CG trailer.

I disagree, Uncharted does it for me.

sakuragi

Banned
WOW it looks as if you are playing a CG. Congratulations to both Gorilla and Sony for delivering the goods. Now I wonder what games on the PS3 would look like in 5 years? I also assume the killzone devs will share their game engine and technology to the other first party developers to product jaw dropping games in the future :D .

chapel

Banned
alterego said:
Best looking console game so far bar none.

Looks better than Gears (especially the gorgeous dynamic lighting compared to Gears' static lighting), looks better than Uncharted too.

I'm Honestly shocked right now. I never thought they'd get this close to the CG trailer.

Wow you must not now how to read. It has been said that KZ2 has Static and Dynamic lighting, but not fully dynamic. Gears has fully dynamic. I agree it looks better than those two games though.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
chriskzoo said:
Funny, isn't it, that the one thing every Xbot was saying couldn't be matched from the original trailer was the animation and yet that is what they pretty much delivered move for move. So instead people go to the "Oh, but it's doesn't do lizard skin and leather like Gears" argument.

Yeah the animation is really good, dunno I feel a touch of a magical paw from a naughty animal there. And about the textures, they can always improve over the course of time. I should really be worried if like a game looks underwelming and there was only 11 weeks to release, but off course Killzone isn't that close to release. :p

Not really been following but are we going to get some hands-on gameplay footage sometime after the Sony conference, or is it just the trailer?

One thing I noticed after putting the HD trailer on my PS3 is that the "crappy" texture on the floor of the drop-ship is actually caused by some sort of filter that gets layered on top of it.

Up until the ship explodes next to them and the lighting of the scene changes if you look for it you can see that the texture is actually pretty decent, (not anything mind blowing but hey, you can only do so much with 512mb of ram) then when the lightning flashes and blows the other ship out of the sky, the look and feel of the scene changes, and if you look closely at the floor you can see that there is some kind of surface blur being applied to it (I'm guessing it's a glitch from whatever voodoo magic they are using)

The thing that's probably being the most overlooked here though is that even though the game is damn good looking, the frame rate is silky smooth.

Joates

Banned
chapel said:
Wow you must not now how to read. It has been said that KZ2 has Static and Dynamic lighting, but not fully dynamic. Gears has fully dynamic. I agree it looks better than those two games though.

Yeah I was going to point that out, but in one or two pages, when he thinks no one else is looking, will post the same damn thing again... He could have just said he liked the lighting and not compared it to gears, but tried and failed miserably.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Oh my, if you've yet to watch the 720p vid, do it now.

The close-ups on the faces need the most work, but someone from GG said they're on it. Everything after thet disembark from the landing craft is awesome. The animation is gonna give Uncharted a run for it's money.

Snah

Banned
chapel said:

Is this misquoted?

Honestly, I thought most of Gears lighting was static, with only a few situations where it was dynamic.

Scum

Defuser said:
You won't be disappointed...
That was great. Obviously, that crackpot CG shinanigans from E32005 gave Sony and the devs something to aspire to. It also looks like they've taken a note straight out of MGS4 too. Well done to Guerrila for delivering the goods!

MickeyKnox said:
The thing that's probably being the most overlooked here though is that even though the game is damn good looking, the frame rate is silky smooth.

Yeah... Everyone seems to forget how unbelievably choppy the Gears footage was even 6 months prior to its release.. The framerate on KZ2 is unbelievably stable for its development stage and everything it has going on in it (not to mention the sense of scale compared to Gears).

M3Freak

Banned
I have to get ready for work, but I just watched the trailer. I agree with a guy that left a comment on the gametrailers.com site:

I just shitted a chicken.

I was very hopeful Killzone 2 would look good, but my word. That's almost the CG trailer.

WHAT THE HELL WIlL THE PS3 BE DOING 5 YEARS FROM NOW?!?!

Joates

Banned
chriskzoo said:
Funny, isn't it, that the one thing every Xbot was saying couldn't be matched from the original trailer was the animation and yet that is what they pretty much delivered move for move. So instead people go to the "Oh, but it's doesn't do lizard skin and leather like Gears" argument.

The animation is good. It sure as hell isnt as good as the E3 05 trailer. Im not even counting the huge ass intro into the "animation" category, as its all scripted anyways and proves absolutely nothing.

The lizard skin and leather though... riiight.

chapel said:
Gears don't have fully dynamic lighting, they had to remove it for performance reasons.

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
One thing I noticed after putting the HD trailer on my PS3 is that the "crappy" texture on the floor of the drop-ship is actually caused by some sort of filter that gets layered on top of it.

Up until the ship explodes next to them and the lighting of the scene changes if you look for it you can see that the texture is actually pretty decent, (not anything mind blowing but hey, you can only do so much with 512mb of ram) then when the lightning flashes and blows the other ship out of the sky, the look and feel of the scene changes, and if you look closely at the floor you can see that there is some kind of surface blur being applied to it (I'm guessing it's a glitch from whatever voodoo magic they are using)

I don't think most people will care when they play the game considering there's so much things going on to keep them distracted.

gljvd

Banned
looks good , but not the original trailer good .

well this is a fall 2008 title ? I have no doubt that other games next year will look as good and perhaps wont have to resort to pre baked texture lighting . I perfer dynamic lighting .

justjohn

please dont kill me but i wasnt impressed at all. its no where near the gci trailer. not even close
maybe i need to watch the hd version as i've just seen the sd version

Kolgar

Hay guyz, what's going on in here?

Just woke up and read IGN's impressions.

Holy shit.

KILLZONE IS BACK! Day one purchase confirmed.

They pulled off some ****ing amazing near-CG graphics. Great music too.

I really hope KZ2 is a bit more open as far as gameplay goes. The trailer showed heaps of what looked like scripted elements. Then again, it's a ****ing trailer.

Joates

Banned
Snah said:
Is this misquoted?

Honestly, I thought most of Gears lighting was static, with only a few situations where it was dynamic.

IGN said:
The lighting is also smoother. While UE3 games like Gears boast realtime lighting for everything, Killzone 2's lighting scheme mixes realtime and pre-canned lighting for an extremely smooth and, frankly, extremely impressive lighting model.

Dont worry, its still the trailer of all trailers.

Defuser

justjohn said:
please dont kill me but i wasnt impressed at all. its no where near the gci trailer. not even close
Master of the obvious. People are just happy it delivered most expectations. You have to be a dumbass to think it has to be on par/exceed the 2005 trailer.

justjohn said:
Neither was I.
Some lowres Textures,
Pizza Explosion Balls,
Some weird facial expressions...

Kinan

Motherh tracker reporting:

Everyone should watch the keynote, irrespective of what you've seen so far.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

More Killzone2 goodness at Sony keynote confirmed!

MickeyKnox said:

I think that's more of a failing of the RSX having only a 128-bit bus. You're going to need to sacrifice some visual quality otherwise it's going to chug, regardless of Cell crunching all that geometry.

filopilo

Wow you must not now how to read. It has been said that KZ2 has Static and Dynamic lighting, but not fully dynamic. Gears has fully dynamic.
you just don't know how moot this point is.Gears cold be mostly lit by cubemaps (environements) ,and KZ could probably have that ,or real lights source (One of a deffered engine's advantage is to handle a great quantity of lights),+ an added an AO pass.

Conclusion :this point doesn't say anything on how the hardware is stressed or what engine does the most.

Joates

Banned
I will say this much as well. The art style lends itself very well to MP design, and I think they could really pull off some crazy good looking multiplayer maps with this game.

DemonCleaner said:
well this ign-quote is total BS...

BS in what way. If you mean the article, sure they were a little in love with the game, but thats their prerogative ;)

besada

Banned
I said wow. And then I said wow some more. Amazing animation, great graphics. If it plays anywhere near as good as it looks, this game is going to be hot.

Maggot9 said:
Halo, I'm.......I'm so sorry...

It does actually seem technically better and certainly busier than Halo 3. Much better animation, at least. Comparing the art style of both games is subjective.

Although, we haven't seen any massive outdoor areas in gameplay like Halo 3 seems to pulls off.

Mr. Pointy said:
I think that's more of a failing of the RSX having only a 128-bit bus. You're going to need to sacrifice some visual quality otherwise it's going to chug, regardless of Cell crunching all that geometry.
The thing is the texture looks like it's still loaded into memory and being drawn at the proper resolution, but there is a post processing effect that sits right above it, you can see the blur sort of "sliding" over the surface and distorting the texture.

VonGak!

Banned
Kinan said:
Motherh tracker reporting:

More Killzone2 goodness at Sony keynote confirmed!

Obviously, SONY knows how the Internet works so they will spoon feed people.

I mean we already hear goofy comments about pre-baked lighting even though most people by now have seen very first released image with the muzzle flash.

SONY will hit people (especially the gaming press) in the head with facts, something many game developers should.
Reminds me of the gaming press completely overlooking rag-dolls in the first Hitman game and only mentioning it in the Hitman2 reviews after the Unreal developers had put focus on rag-dolls in their game.

I'll repeat, hit the press with facts and do not expect them to have eyes in their heads. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finally saw the HD..we often talk about lower res vids and screens hiding flaws, but one other thing they hide here, is the amazing post-processing. That grain filter, the blurring, the other filtering their doing, it certainly all adds up. It looks like sketch-art in places.

Lighting and lightening :)p) are also worth particular mention. Very atmospheric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom