• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

i just watched it again and did anyone notice that sexy grain (?) filter they're using? it especially becomes noticable about 5 seconds before they land.

Joates

Banned
Y2Kev said:
wtf is a pizza explosion ball

it sounds delicious

The part in the beginning where the craft gets shot and the ensuing trailing fireball on the way down looks like someone took a pizza graphic and dragged the clone tool behind it for a few hundred feet, followed by a deliciously zesty coating of smoke. MMmmmm.

manxor

Y2Kev said:
wtf is a pizza explosion ball

it sounds delicious
It really does... a bite-size ball of REAL pizza with explosive taste?
Dominos or someone needs to get on that right away :born from the Killzone thread

Joates said:
The part in the beginning where the craft gets shot and the ensuing trailing fireball on the way down looks like someone took a pizza graphic and dragged the clone tool behind it for a few hundred feet, followed by a deliciously zesty coating of smoke. MMmmmm.
I swear I saw that explosion in Cybernator / Assault Suits Valken. KONAMI AND GUERRILLA SHARING TECH CONFIRMED!

Joates said:
Dont worry, its still the trailer of all trailers.
Most of the dynamic lighting and shadows were removed from Gears, though. They're present in a few situations but most of it is burnt in, if I recall correctly. Performance issues I think.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Joates said:

That's such a lame thing to complain about. It looked so awesome. IMO if we served those at work the little ****tard kids would order those instead of chili cheese fries, aka things i have to go in the back and make.

I have to be at work in two hours and I slept 1 hour and its KIDDIE KAMP DAY so I'm hoping the sky opens up and washes away the children and their yellow busses from hell.

kz2a.gif

kz2b.gif

kz2c.gif

Gears looks better??!! wtf is 1up smoking.

Joates

Banned
VonGak! said:
Obviously, SONY knows how the Internet works so they will spoon feed people.

I mean we already hear goofy comments about pre-baked lighting even though most people by now have seen very first released image with the muzzle flash.

SONY will hit people (especially the gaming press) in the head with facts, something many game developers should.
Reminds me of the gaming press completely overlooking rag-dolls in the first Hitman game and only mentioning it in the Hitman2 reviews after the Unreal developers had put focus on rag-dolls in their game.

I'll repeat, hit the press with facts and do not expect them to have eyes in their heads. :lol

SONY really is great these days. SONY knows marketing better than anyone...

But seriously, the comments are not goofy about the pre-baked lighting. Theyre either using that or some form of GI that looks damn good. Id go with the prebaked if I were them.

I must say I'm impressed. I didn't understand a lot of the Killzone love here lately. All the helmets popping up in peoples avatars and whatnot. I mean, Killzone was a completely mediocre game with some annoying limitations and glitches. It was simply behind the times. So when I start seeing people here fawning over it like its the 2nd coming, I didn't get why. Now I'm starting to feel like the love is more justified. The trailer looked great. Here's hoping the gameplay has grown up to match the graphics. And can we get a "jump" button this time?

My one gripe about the trailer: Why are the Helghast jumping over cover right into their enemy's line of fire? I mean, the only way they could be dying faster is if they tried headbutting the bullets while they're at it.

alterego

chapel said:
Wow you must not now how to read. It has been said that KZ2 has Static and Dynamic lighting, but not fully dynamic. Gears has fully dynamic. I agree it looks better than those two games though.

Gears does not have fully dynamic lighting. The lighting on the characters is dynamic but environmental lighting is static lightmaps.

I only mentioned it specifically because it was the only thing that really dissapointed me about Gears' graphics.

hadareud

The Translator
it looks very good, but nowhere near as good as the reaction here would make you think. of course it's not close to the cg trailer, but it's also not the best looking game out there.

Most importantly it looks intense and fun, that should be all that matters I guess.

buckfutter said:
Most of the dynamic lighting and shadows were removed from Gears, though. They're present in a few situations but most of it is burnt in, if I recall correctly. Performance issues I think.
IIRC they removed full global illumination because they couldn't get it working at a proper clip in time for release. PC version may have it available as a feature but it will most likely kill performance ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

VonGak!

Banned
Joates said:
SONY really is great these days. SONY knows marketing better than anyone...

But seriously, the comments are not goofy about the pre-baked lighting. Theyre either using that or some form of GI that looks damn good. Id go with the prebaked if I were them.
I knew it would be taken personal. :)

---

Enough KZ for me, the Tour has started.

Ceb

MickeyKnox said:
The thing is the texture looks like it's still loaded into memory and being drawn at the proper resolution, but there is a post processing effect that sits right above it, you can see the blur sort of "sliding" over the surface and distorting the texture.

It looks a bit similar to the LOD errors in the first Killzone. If it is, it's obviously something they'll try to fix before release.

:Motorbass said:
Neither was I.
Some lowres Textures,
Pizza Explosion Balls,
Some weird facial expressions...

Nah, I think the trailer is technically impressive overall, but it fails to do what it was supposed to do: match the CGI trailer.

When I say match the trailer, I don't mean cutscenes with characters talking to each other and non-interactive scripted stuff happening all around, something we actually get to see a lot in this latest trailer (it's like 4/5 of everything we see?). Sony could have just taken the animation info from the 2005 CGI trailer and apply it to downgraded characters running on PS3 and the animation would match, even if the characters would not be as technically detailed (and they are definitely downgraded).

The key thing that seemed unbelievable in the 2005 trailer was what they passed off as actual gameplay. It still looked scripted and impossible. And what we see in the 2007 trailer in terms of gameplay is carefully edited small sections with a few cool shots. The animation is still impressive, but nowhere near the 2005 trailer which was a single continuous scene in a huge environment with a high level of interaction.

Killzone 2 can still compete, it still looks like a competent, if pretty standard FPS, but it didn't delivered what was promised (yet?). E3 2008, here we come!

If I was looking forward to Killzone, I would hope they would improve the gameplay aspect (in regards to Killzone) of it rather then concentrate on all out graphics.

Edit: Watched the trailer. Game looks great and will probably look better by the time its released. Doesn't look anything like the E3 Trailer (so please anybody who still beleives E3 2005 trailer was gameplay...).

After watching the trailer I have come to the conclusion this looks like ass. I hope they port it to the DS, they might have to downgrade a few textures (maybe although doubtful), but the convience of portability is a fair trade off. A marginal improvement over the current premiere DS FPS Metroid Prime: Echoes.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why do people keep claiming low res this and that, while ign, kotaku, and gamespot explain how detailed everything is? You guys seen a short trailer, they've seen 15 min gameplay...

Joates

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Gears looks better??!! wtf is 1up smoking.

sakuragi said:
Microsoft's money obviously.

This just in; game journalist's opinions no longer matter. Majority rules!

Seriously, did you even read the damn article? They praise the game. Say in its current state they think gears looks better. But still you guys are out for blood, its ridiculous.

Keep in mind this was written directly after the conference. They probably didnt have the luxury of going back and reviewing the trailer multiple times. Maybe they were the only ones that werent slobbering at the mouths with hype and actually approached it from a rational, objective stance? I know none of you will agree, but you are all still rabid from the hype, maybe in a day or two though...

DKnight said:
more like TROLLDOR amirite?

Hilarious... actually read my posts and youll see the truth lawlawlawl...

One thing I'll say is that I hope KZ2's got more than just urban FPS combat ala COD4 and Resistance like we've seen in the trailer. That kind of shooter is a bit overdone. I'm hoping it's got a grander scope than that.

nofi

BamYouHaveAids said:
After watching the trailer I have come to the conclusion this looks like ass. I hope they port it to the DS, they might have to downgrade a few textures (maybe although doubtful), but the convience of portability is a fair trade off. A marginal improvement over the current premiere DS FPS Metroid Prime: Echoes.

It was the DS version, wasn't it?

BamYouHaveAids said:
:lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, I didn't get that comment. How do you know it's a "standard" shooter after less than a minute of gameplay? Furthermore, it isn't a matter of it "still competing," it just showed up to the party and was like, "I'm here, bitches."

There is a reason they just couldn't map that kind of animation to the real game, and it's because it wouldn't work. It was almost nauseating in Killzone 1 to have such severe camera bob; I'm glad it looks a little diluted. You can't have the camera focusing on that many things at once, and it's impractical to waste processor cycles on animation for characters that you can't draw on the screen anyway.

The trailer was an amazing showcase of what gaming might look like 10 years into the future, but I don't think it was showing what gaming will "move" like. It does, though, show what gaming will FEEL like, and, IMO, that's what Killzone 2 actually captures. It looks like it (despite obviously not being as good as it, I mean come on), it sounds like it, it doesn't move like it-- for good reason-- but it feels like it.

TheFallen

The trailer looked a bit impressive, about on par from what I've been seeing from Call of Duty 4. I have to admit though, the lack of reticule is a bit odd (or appropriate down the sights view) - are we supposed to shoot blindly? I'd like to see more of the game however, seems most of this trailer was spent showing off a scripted sequence.

PnCIa

Just got home, downloaded the trailer and....holy ****ing **** GG delivered. I mean OMG this is just incredibly awesome, incredible atmosphere there.
Graphics are the best on any console, from any game shown until now, period. I can´t imagine how it´s possible to claim that GoW (an awesome looking game) can look better than this. OMFG.
Sure, it´s early and imo that is visible in many scenes, and it still surpasses anything right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom