• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

Darunia said:
Can anyone download the HD .wmv version GT put up? When I watch it I can't fast forward and it locks up at the very end, seems like that version is fudged up.

Also it's pretty sad but my pc can't handle the 300 meg one. It stutters with every player. 512 mb ram and 1.8 ghz... Is it normal that this happens?
yes, for HD h264 you need about a ghz more

Dice Man said:
After watching the trailer once before I head off to work:

crazy_kermit.gif
:lol :lol :lol That is by far the funniest fricken shite ever. No matter how many times I see it I absolutely die laughing

Pistolero

Halo 3 looked underwhelming
Killzone 2 looked much better than expected (but I expected a total failure)
CoD4 was the best looking FPS around (haven't seen Crysis at E3 yet)

How anyone would consider COD4 more impressive than Killzone2 is beyond me...
Such disparity...

I just downloaded the gametrailers HD video. I have to admit that up until this morning the KZ2 debut was an afterthought for me, but now I'm REALLY interested in it. I'm sure that it will slip into 2008, but hopefully it won't go all the way to next Christmas, aka the "Mass Effect syndrome."

The faces need real work done on them, and there are little things to polish up, of course, but overall I give Guerrilla an A. Well done.

Razoric said:
Wow, they actually delivered on Killzone 2. Looks amazing.

And one last time:

lostkillzone.gif

:D :D

;p

lol?

KZ 2 looks awesome, definitely on par and probably better than Crysis. Halo 3 will still outsell it, by a mile. Please don't kid yourself.

Rezbit

Pistolero said:
How anyone would consider COD4 more impressive than Killzone2 is beyond me...
Such disparity...

I think KZ2 looks AMAZING, however so does COD4. KZ2 seems to have better lighting and the motion blur is awesome, but COD4 has on par character models, better textures and A LOT more colour.

Joates said:
But seriously, the comments are not goofy about the pre-baked lighting. Theyre either using that or some form of GI that looks damn good. Id go with the prebaked if I were them.

Complaining about "pre-computed" anything is a bit silly to me when it comes to graphics, as long as it gives the desired effect everything is a hack at some level. This looks like a really impressive hack though. :D

And not sure if it's been brought up yet but Guerilla is teaming with middleware provider Second Intention for work on this lighting engine. Maybe some graphics gurus can provide some more insight. Is this similar to what the Geomerics guys are doing for fast GI?

Worldlight uses a diffuse PRT solution to provide soft light and shadows resulting from direct and indirect illumination by an HDR skydome. On top of this, it adds a directional sunlight term which is correctly shadowed by the world geometry.

Objects in the world are lit using similar techniques, with their diffuse and specular lighting environments being created on the fly from their surroundings. This anchors the objects in the world and ensures that their lighting is always an accurate match for the local environment.

The resulting HDR image is then tone-mapped for display using one of several tone-mapping algorithms in real-time.
http://www.secondintention.com/portfolio/worldlight/

XSamu

Banned
GHG said:
Best looking next gen game, end of story, no questions asked. Sony delivered, GG delivered, haters owned.
Yeah except for Crysis and Alan Wake. I know you're all excited cuz in the end it looks pretty good, I understand that, but lets not overreact here.
tjhooker said:
COD4 :lol

I suppose you have to cling on to something even an EA multiplatform title

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7000885&postcount=53
Apparently you haven't seen the HD footage of the E3 presentation, otherwise you would not be saying this.
BruceLeeRoy said:
Sorry man we can do some screen comparisons but COD4 no longer at the top of that heap.
I can make a lot of screenshots with bad textures in Killzone 2 as well, but we're looking at HD gameplay movies here, and I'd say CoD4 really tops Killzone 2, sorry.
ALeperMessiah said:
KZ 2 looks awesome, definitely on par and probably better than Crysis. Halo 3 will still outsell it, by a mile. Please don't kid yourself.
Wow this is GAF for you. Please get a reality check, this doesn't get near Crysis ok? PC has already won the graphics battle leaving the PS3 and Xbox 360 far behind. Leave Crysis alone, it's major difference.

Foil

So are Rico and his crew the third faction? Basically all the guys with no helmets? Maybe I heard wrong but it sounded like one of the helmeted soldiers called them Mercenaries? Or are they Mercs and Rico is just the ISA soldier in charge of them?

Madman

Color me very impressed Guerilla. The game seems like it will be a blast and the graphics are excellent. Not quite the quality of the CG, but with the environmental destruction thrown in it completely makes me forget the trailer existed.

Did someone out there actually say Gears looked better? I will assume they were very tired when they wrote it.

And finally, can Guerilla catch a break now? With Liberation and their new showing, can we finally say(in at least a near consensus) they are a great developer?

The only way people could be downplaying this game is if they are watching the notoriously horrible GAMEVIDEOS trailer go to GAMETRAILERS and get the HD one.

680403q.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
S. L. said:
yes, for HD h264 you need about a ghz more

see now if you had a ps3 this would be no problem

:D

I just finished watching it on my PS3. Really wow. I wish I could do 5.1 from videos from the XMB. WTF fix it sony.

spwolf

ALeperMessiah said:
lol?

oh Halo3 will outsell KZ2 without any problems, but it wont be as clear cut as before. Just check the reactions to Halo3 and to KZ2 from both fans. KZ2 is the biggest thread here now. Media proclaiming KZ2 best of the show already?

week ago nobody would dream of something like that...

rager

Banned
Killzone looks amazing. Hands down the best looking console game. I love the animations and the epic feel.

Hey guys, how are you creating those wonderful gifs?

Joe211

fortified_concept said:
Just watched half the 720p trailer. Looks unbelievable. Explosions looked better on the CG trailer but everything else is so. ****ing. close. (OMG @ the clouds) I really didn't expect that. Aisenheiz owned me.

PS. Joates is currently #4 poster in this thread in just a few hours. Damn this guy's trying too hard.

PS.#2 I will murder my ISP. Out of all days in the year today they decided to **** up my connection.
:lol

I hope he gets a paycheck for his hardwork...

cgcg

Looks like some stuff aren't totally in place yet like shadows in the opening sequence but holy shit does it look good. In some ways it's actually better than the CG. For one it has a lot more details than the CG and the lighting looks better too. Holy did Sony deliver!

spwolf said:
oh Halo3 will outsell KZ2 without any problems, but it wont be as clear cut as before. Just check the reactions to Halo3 and to KZ2 from both fans. KZ2 is the biggest thread here now. Media proclaiming KZ2 best of the show already?

week ago nobody would dream of something like that...

Oh I can't argue with you there, KZ2 and Guerrila are definitely impressing over a weak Halo 3 showing. I guess I just found it ironic that a Sony fanboy would make an animated gif that showed Microsoft on a sinking ship. Looks like someone needs a moment of self reflection.

Joe211

XSamu said:
Yeah except for Crysis and Alan Wake. I know you're all excited cuz in the end it looks pretty good, I understand that, but lets not overreact here.

Apparently you haven't seen the HD footage of the E3 presentation, otherwise you would not be saying this.

I can make a lot of screenshots with bad textures in Killzone 2 as well, but we're looking at HD gameplay movies here, and I'd say CoD4 really tops Killzone 2, sorry.

Wow this is GAF for you. Please get a reality check, this doesn't get near Crysis ok? PC has already won the graphics battle leaving the PS3 and Xbox 360 far behind. Leave Crysis alone, it's major difference.

if you don't care about the game don't post

XSamu
Xbothawk Down
(Today, 08:52 AM)

spit.gif

C4Lukins

forgeforsaken said:
Only GAF could make me want to come in and argue about a good looking trailer, but damn if you people aren't on the hyperbole train.

Game looks really good, but it's not CGI trailer quality. This is Motorstorm all over again where people were swearing up and down that the game looked better than the CGI.

I'd say CoD4 looks at least as good and I even think the animations of the on foot section are better in CoD4. Both games look great.

Same feeling here. I came in here to compliment how well the game looks to have turned out, and then after the insane enthusiasm of people in this thread I just wanted to attack it.

Maxwell House said:
KZ2 trailer had WAY better music than Halo 3's trailer. The music in Halo 3 is just AWFUL. I can't stand it.

yeah, the trailer had a good amount of gameplay which was great, but the music and the construction of the trailer was very poor

Reilly

I just saw the pics in that were updated in the original post. I thought, "wow, that doesn't look that great....but ok.."

Then I saw the video and I was like "HOLY GOD!"

jjasper

Y2Kev said:
I just finished watching it on my PS3. Really wow. I wish I could do 5.1 from videos from the XMB. WTF fix it sony.

The MGS4 trailer has and with the download movie service coming soon it so I think they are.

FightyF

Banned
Yoboman said:
I think it would. Especially when you come across a texture that isn't of the same quality. As I see it, they got "good" textures at a very consistent quality that makes it all mesh well, the grain filter only enhances it.

Actually now that you mention the word "consistent"...I've realized why the poor textures stick out so much...it's because the characters are textured very well. The textures on them are nice and crisp. Then compare that to the bg...big difference, and perhaps why it's noticeable.

I wonder if they went with 8 or 16 bit textures...if not, that's something they can do to fit higher res textures if memory is an issue. But I suspect they have already...

bud

nelsonroyale said:
yeah, the trailer had a good amount of gameplay which was great, but the music and the construction of the trailer was very poor

uhm, the halo 3 trailer got the job done. it had to be epic and awesome and it was, the music was perfect for the trailer.

anyway, this is a kz2 thread lol

klee123

One word: Amazing!

Sure it doesn't match up to the old trailer 100% but the fully destructable enviroments makes up for it IMO.

Madman

forgeforsaken said:
Only GAF could make me want to come in and argue about a good looking trailer, but damn if you people aren't on the hyperbole train.

Game looks really good, but it's not CGI trailer quality. This is Motorstorm all over again where people were swearing up and down that the game looked better than the CGI.

I'd say CoD4 looks at least as good and I even think the animations of the on foot section are better in CoD4. Both games look great.
Draft agreed it looked better than COD4. There really isn't any point left in discussing it after that.

XSamu

Banned
Joe211 said:
XSamu
Xbothawk Down
(Today, 08:52 AM)

spit.gif
Well I'm not going to stop you from fapping, this is your day, KZ2 looks better than Halo 3. But it doesn't come near Crysis you retarded fanboy.

gcubed

i woke up for work and decided to check to see if GAF imploded but things were relatively in check... except the post count doubled from 12am EST to 6am EST... how many of you fool stayed awake ALL NIGHT?!

I must say, i tempered my expectations but my goodness... this looks incredible. To say it looks better then Crysis.. meh, a little overdrive on the hype, but then to equally come back and say COD4 looks better then it, did the Halo 3 trailer piss in someones cornflakes?

I cant wait to play this damn game

tHoMNZ

uncdeez said:
What are you talking about? Killzone 2 absolutely smokes Crysis. The only true way to prove this is by posting image comparisons of some of the best screens each title has to offer.

931665_20060328_screen006.jpg

vs.
killzone-2-20070711010754763.jpg

931665_20060418_screen020.jpg

vs.
E3-TrailerUSKILLZONE-09.jpg

931665_20060418_screen004.jpg

vs.
bscap041.jpg

Clearly Crysis does not measure up to Killzone 2.

Here's crysis in a better light. Fanboy.

Crysis_44.jpg

Fight for Freeform said:
Actually now that you mention the word "consistent"...I've realized why the poor textures stick out so much...it's because the characters are textured very well. The textures on them are nice and crisp. Then compare that to the bg...big difference, and perhaps why it's noticeable.
It's like RE4. I wonder if Guerrila could get away with 16-bit colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom