• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
XSamu said:
Well I'm not going to stop you from fapping, this is your day, KZ2 looks better than Halo 3. But it doesn't come near Crysis you retarded fanboy.

Someone PM a mod. Xsamu's account has been hacked!!!

jmdajr said:
so is this for holiday 2008?

March 2008, IIRC.

It better stay on that schedule, too. Because hopefully Resistance II will be coming for Christmas 2008, and that will be incredible. I'd hate to have to choose one over the other...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
gcubed said:
To say it looks better then Crysis.. meh, a little overdrive on the hype...

lolz

Yeah, Crysis is pretty much the benchmark at the moment. Nothing is coming close. But this does look great. Watched it twice in HD. Sony was smart to mirror the original reveal. I said it yesterday in the Halo 3 IRC before the trailer and I'll say it here, Sony and Guerrilla have a couple of pairs of big old balls to release this when and how they did.

Jeseus

i cant believe this :lol :lol :lol

wmplayer-2007-07-11-14-38-04-32.jpg

spwolf

I just saw HD version on my 50 inch Plasma and WOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

80% of the time when I pause it, it looks like freaking movie, and I am talking about gameplay... real time cut scenes are crazy. Character models look like real people most of the time, something I have never seen in game before.

Uncharted looks like kids stuff compared to this. Apsolutly amazing.

I was expecting it to bit a lot worse on big screen as more details get shown but wow.

PS360

Banned
holy flying ****

HAHAHAHAAHHAHA

they did it. They delivered! They really, really delivered.

And they did EXACTLY what someone here said they should a while ago.."play the original trailer again then go "ha ha, real time bitches." As soon as I saw the clouds and flying transporter I started laughing hard as hell.

Now I want to see more more more more more

Ryuuga

Banned
I like Halo 3 as much as the next person. Okay maybe not to a hardcore extent, but the caustic remarks for KZ in here are embarrassing. Killzone looks fantastic. It does now, it will during further development and will be even more so upon it's release. Why even take the time to compare it to other games at this point? All games mentioned will offer a different experience in some shape or form. Also it's not like it'll ever deter someone from buying a game.

More comparisons to come ...I assure you.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I know for sure I will be buying this game day one thanks to that trailer. All comparisons aside, that trailer is why I bought a PS3. The promise just got a lot closer to reality.

Mojovonio

Banned
Wow, wtf did I miss?

This game looks ****ing amazing. The animations are... wow.

They REALLY DELIVERED. This game looks next gen as much as I expected next-gen to look.

This game looks beautiful. But to me, it looks just as beautiful as any other game I have seen recently (COD4, Crysis, Bioshock, etc. etc.). I think that anyone denying that the game looks great exists in a pipe dream, but I also think that anyone saying this will sell PS3s or somehow generate more hype than Halo lives in the same space. That trailer was nothing to sneeze at graphically, but it is also not likely to make your average person decide that they MUST spend the amount of money required to play it.

gljvd

Banned
bscap031.jpg

look at this shot , low res textures in the upper right , no shadow for the guy in the bottom left .

the game looks great , but as you can see the consoels of this gen are hampered by only having 512 megs of ram.

This is certianly not out of the 360s range. esp not with pre baked texture lighting

XSamu said:
Yeah except for Crysis and Alan Wake. I know you're all excited cuz in the end it looks pretty good, I understand that, but lets not overreact here.

Apparently you haven't seen the HD footage of the E3 presentation, otherwise you would not be saying this.

I can make a lot of screenshots with bad textures in Killzone 2 as well, but we're looking at HD gameplay movies here, and I'd say CoD4 really tops Killzone 2, sorry.
THe CoD 4 love is really surprising me. Well not really surprizing me, it does look good it's just that, well... making a good looking game (especially a console one) is all about how well you can "fake" things to look better while still maintaining adequate performance.

And to me Killzone simply fakes it better than CoD 4, I can see all the strings when looking at CoD 4 footage (this will be subjective and very dependent on how familiar you are with the series and the PC side of gaming) to the point where I can't suspend my disbelief. Where as when watching that Killzone trailer I "know" the flaws are there, I know there are strings moving the puppets but there is something about the way the engine renders the final image (the **** ton of post processing effects, the combination of lighting techniques, the pure amount of geometry that's being pushed around, insane character model detail and the combination of blending mocaped and ragdoll animations together) that lets me just sit back and enjoy the puppet show.

jmdajr

FROM 1UP

What we like: The presentation and attention to detail are key. The game doesn't look as good as the 2005 trailer, naturally, but it looks close to as good as any other console shooter. We'd say that currently Gears of War tops it, and a few other titles are on the same visual level, but the game looks extremely nice.

What we dislike: There doesn't seem to be much big picture stuff in here we haven't seen yet in other games. This likely has more to do with Sony being very secretive about the features at the moment than a lack of innovation in the game, given its importance to Sony and the company's hints at online features, but at this point it's hard to pick out one or two big things that will help separate the gameplay from what we've seen in other war shooters

hate coming in... 3... 2... 1 :lol

gcubed

urk said:
lolz

Yeah, Crysis is pretty much the benchmark at the moment. Nothing is coming close. But this does look great. Watched it twice in HD. Sony was smart to mirror the original reveal. I said it yesterday in the Halo 3 IRC before the trailer and I'll say it here, Sony and Guerrilla have a couple of pairs of big old balls to release this when and how they did.

They have completely different styles, so the comparisons can range between what people like, but the tech and details, etc in Crysis will be the standard for an FPS for a bit. Undoubtedly i think KZ2 looks absosfapinglutely awesome and i am amazed that they pulled it off as well as they did (you had a feeling they HAD to be confident with how they set up the reveal, and if they didnt deliver it would have been a monumental failure that they wouldnt have recovered from the next day). KZ2 is what i like in my FPS's... fast pace with lots of shit going on everywhere.

Now the only problem is... I WANT MORE

Ryuuga

Banned
jmdajr said:
FROM 1UP

What we like: The presentation and attention to detail are key. The game doesn't look as good as the 2005 trailer, naturally, but it looks close to as good as any other console shooter. We'd say that currently Gears of War tops it, and a few other titles are on the same visual level, but the game looks extremely nice.

What we dislike: There doesn't seem to be much big picture stuff in here we haven't seen yet in other games. This likely has more to do with Sony being very secretive about the features at the moment than a lack of innovation in the game, given its importance to Sony and the company's hints at online features, but at this point it's hard to pick out one or two big things that will help separate the gameplay from what we've seen in other war shooters

Oh it's already been touched on earlier in the thread. It's post-pacifist-killzonitus. Some were hoping that it wouldn't look as spectacular as it does. So with that comes the unwillingness to accept it for what it is.

C4Lukins

jmdajr said:
FROM 1UP

This will make things more fun.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So does anybody else just collect videos on their PS3? I have a row of them. I'm trying to see how many simultaneous video previews I can get the PS3 to render at once. I think so far I have 7.

Ben Sones

Both Killzone 2 and CoD4 look really pretty. However, CoD4 is a sequel to a really good game, and Killzone 2 is a sequel to a really mediocre game. Given that, I have a hard time understanding the excitement level for this one.

Mojovonio

Banned
Ben Sones said:
Both Killzone 2 and CoD4 look really pretty. However, CoD4 is a sequel to a really good game, and Killzone 2 is a sequel to a really mediocre game. Given that, I have a hard time understanding the excitement level for this one.

Because it looks ****ing awesome?

Mojovonio

Banned
Also, I think this will be Sony's Gears of War. This is the game that everyone will talk about and get a PS3 for.

I can't believe they delivered. I'm even considering getting the basic version of Halo 3 and put the money I'd save towards a PS3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are we sure this is 30 fps? It looks incredibly smooth in some sections, notably the ground sections and immediately after the convoy lands (Rico is pointing people in different directions).

gljvd

Banned
Ben Sones said:

na i think they both look good , however one is a fall 07 title and the other is most likely a fall 08 or later title .

What will the new cod game look like when killzone ships ?

People compare this to gears of war and well thats a 2006 title . They compare it to halo 3 and well its a 2007 title . I think we should wait and see what other late 2008 and beyond titles look like before we blow our load on a game that looks on par with these other games or slightly exceeds them

gljvd said:
bscap031.jpg

look at this shot , low res textures in the upper right , no shadow for the guy in the bottom left .

the game looks great , but as you can see the consoels of this gen are hampered by only having 512 megs of ram.

This is certianly not out of the 360s range. esp not with pre baked texture lighting

Uh huh. Jealous much, fanboy?

X26

Banned
Well defidentely the best looking console FPS sofar, although sometextures didn't seem so hot. The animation and gore especially was top-notch

edit: wait a sec that was an alpha build? holy shit

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
jmdajr said:
FROM 1UP

Yea, that's about spot on.

C4Lukins said:
This will make things more fun.

Well, it was "fun" about 5 hours ago, when eagle-eyed GAFers first watched 1Up do their quick edit to insert that negative fanboy-baiting BS about Gears in there...now that the HD video has been out for a while, it's just sad.

But hey, you haven't been keeping up...it's OK.

Yesterday I said that the screenshot looked bad, I meant it.

Today I'll say that this game looks excellent. Good job, and day one purchase as long as the PS3 comes down in price enough in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom