• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last time for all the haters:

62416dl.gif

680403q.gif

4u1flna.gif

61lczfs.gif

6c49k4y.gif

6f4svw5.gif

6c7aw51.gif

Draft said:
:lol I didn't realize my opinion was so definitive.
Clarify for me why you think this looks better than COD4? I don't own a PS3, but I am not trying to troll. But I was on the edge of my seat when I saw that COD4 trailer (I own a PC capable of running it), and I do not feel the same after having seen Killzone. Essentially, I see COD4 as a game which seems to better leverage its graphics (amazing) in favor of its gameplay, and that's why I like COD4 more.

Madman

Ben Sones said:
Both Killzone 2 and CoD4 look really pretty. However, CoD4 is a sequel to a really good game, and Killzone 2 is a sequel to a really mediocre game. Given that, I have a hard time understanding the excitement level for this one.
Liberation was awesome. Maybe if some of you that think it wasn't good actually played it you would agree.

XSamu

Banned
Busty said:
Someone PM a mod. Xsamu's account has been hacked!!!
I have never been a Halo fan. I may or may not be a Xbox 360 fan, but I've certainly never been a Halo fanboy.

And about the Crysis comparisons.... Dear God stop this madness.

Stop the comparison with Crysis please! Crysis is on an entire other level, you know that. I fully understand you guys are really happy with the graphics of Killzone, but comparing it with Crysis just doesn't make sense. Crysis has it all; perfect lighting, textures, physics, interaction, animation etc. That's what makes Crysis so special. Killzone looks nice and all, but come on, get real.

C4Lukins

Pristine_Condition said:
Well, it was "fun" about 5 hours ago, when eagle-eyed GAFers first watched 1Up do their quick edit to insert that negative fanboy-baiting BS about Gears in there...now that the HD video has been out for a while, it's just sad.

But hey, you haven't been keeping up...it's OK.

How could anyone keep up with this thread?

rakka

Y2Kev said:
Are we sure this is 30 fps? It looks incredibly smooth in some sections, notably the ground sections and immediately after the convoy lands (Rico is pointing people in different directions).

You can just check the videos fps in your player.

If it's running at 30 we won't know. If 60 then great.

Draft said:
:lol I didn't realize my opinion was so definitive.

:lol

TheKingsCrown said:
Clarify for me why you think this looks better than COD4? I don't own a PS3, but I am not trying to troll. But I was on the edge of my seat when I saw that COD4 trailer (I own a PC capable of running it), and I do not feel the same after having seen Killzone. Essentially, I see COD4 as a game which seems to better leverage its graphics (amazing) in favor of its gameplay, and that's why I like COD4 more.

Look above sucka easily trumps COD4

Norml

fortified_concept said:
WHAT?!?!? This is unfair. Why does my 2.6 Ghz P4 play them like crap? What codec do you use?

Not sure about that because its not my thing really, but I do know I downloaded KDLite pak I think its called.

Ploid 3.0

gljvd said:
bscap031.jpg

look at this shot , low res textures in the upper right , no shadow for the guy in the bottom left .

the game looks great , but as you can see the consoels of this gen are hampered by only having 512 megs of ram.

This is certianly not out of the 360s range. esp not with pre baked texture lighting

This game is said to be in pre alpha at the point of the screenshots and I'm guessing the vid too. The ram isn't holding anything back.

I can only go by the GIFs (I'm at work so can't see the video) but I don't like the art direction. The scenes with the fire in them make you realise how grey everything is, even the sky, it's the sort of grimy industrial envirionment I've seen hundreds of times before.

It's now prettier than ever, but does the video show any other locations? Like a forest or something outside of a city?

I really didn't expect to be impressed, but that trailer is the best looking thing I've seen at E3.

This, Mass Effect and Too Human gave me a tripleboner.

X26

Banned
jmdajr said:
anyone want to guess which game will get the best reviews in the end?

call of duty 4
halo3
killzone 2
crysis

Halo 3 will get 10's regardless of its quality (atleast for msites like IGN, Gamespot, and 1UP), the rest mid-high 9's

jmdajr

BruceLeeRoy said:

You know how they make movie trailers look super bad ass with a few seconds of a lot of cool scenes? But its not always as good when you see the whole thing? This is kind of like that.

Time will tell which is the better game.

Great trailer. Best console FPS graphics I've see so far. Animations looks really good for a game in pre alpha. No iron site aiming??? WTF?! I would love to actually use that awesome scope of the assualt rifle.

I'll own a PS3 by the time this game comes out.

Checked out the trailer, first off nowhere near as close as the original trailer. Some of the models heads were blocky, and the fire effects look a lot worse than the original trailer. Color me unimpressed, compared to what else was shown.

It looks good don't get me wrong, but everything they showed wasn't earth shattering compared to what was already shown (COD4, Halo 3).

Also after playing the much superior Killzone: Liberation (compared to the PS2 Killzone), I would have preferred to Guerrilla make Kilzone 2 in the same gameplay style as the PSP masterpiece. Hopefully we will get a sequel on the PSP.

Aeon712

TheKingsCrown said:
You're not as excited because you don't own a PS3, I feel the same way about COD4
then again my PS3 can run it

BruceLeeRoy said:
No...no it really doesn't. I just told you I saw both trailers and COD4 did a lot more for the gamer inside me. Please stop replying to my posts if you have nothing more constructive to say.

Aeon712 said:
You're not as excited because you don't own a PS3, I feel the same way about COD4
then again my PS3 can run it
I can see why you might think that, but trust me...at this point in my life a console barrier does not necessarily stop me from getting excited for a game if it looks really good and I want to buy it. Maybe its just because we are overloaded with FPSs, but my ownership of a PC capable of running COD4 does not enhance my excitement for it. The game's atmosphere is what excited me. Killzone has some great atmosphere, but I don't think it has as many synergies as COD4.

I am very interested in how the PS3's technology was used to make this happen. I did not think graphics on this level would be seen less than a year in the system's lifespan.

mysticstylez said:
Checked out the trailer, first off nowhere near as close as the original trailer. Some of the models heads were blocky, and the fire effects look a lot worse than the original trailer. Color me unimpressed, compared to what else was shown.

It looks good don't get me wrong, but everything they showed wasn't earth shattering compared to what was already shown (COD4, Halo 3).

Also after playing the much superior Killzone: Liberation (compared to the PS2 Killzone), I would have preferred to Guerrilla make Kilzone 2 in the same gameplay style as the PSP masterpiece. Hopefully we will get a sequel on the PSP.

You were still unimpressed after seeing the Halo 3 trailer...Man that gave you away right there.

TheKingsCrown said:
No...no it really doesn't. I just told you I saw both trailers and COD4 did a lot more for the gamer inside me. Please stop replying to my posts if you have nothing more constructive to say.

I dont agree...I need to watch this new COD 4 footage, but the bog video impressed me with intensity but not so much graphics...I might check the other footage though the game didnt really pique my interest....Im not a big fps fan, but I much prefer the stylised visuals of stuff like this, Halo 3 and Crysis

peace

Kolgar

As someone who enjoyed the first Killzone and has defended it many times on this board, I am pleased as punch to see KZ2 in fine form.

I think GG can realize their vision on PS3, and hoo boy, that makes me excited.

But waiting is truly the hardest part.

This looks really, really good. If they take care of some of the issues this will be a must buy. I'd also like to see how Insomniac responds to the challenge with Resistance 2.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
BruceLeeRoy said:
One last time for all the haters:

http://i8.tinypic.com/62416dl.gif[]

[IMG]http://i15.tinypic.com/680403q.gif[]

[IMG]http://i17.tinypic.com/4u1flna.gif[]

[IMG]http://i10.tinypic.com/61lczfs.gif[]

[IMG]http://i10.tinypic.com/6c49k4y.gif[]

[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/6f4svw5.gif[]

[IMG]http://i12.tinypic.com/6c7aw51.gif[][/QUOTE]

Next time can you not bump so many damn gifs at the same time. My bandwidth is already feeling abused enough without people constantly bumping gifs and stupidly sized pictures.

Riddler

PS360 said:
holy flying ****

HAHAHAHAAHHAHA

they did it. They delivered! They really, really delivered.

And they did EXACTLY what someone here said they should a while ago.."play the original trailer again then go "ha ha, real time bitches." As soon as I saw the clouds and flying transporter I started laughing hard as hell.

Now I want to see more more more more more

Yea but when the clouds really never vanished and turned into fog it just reminded me of the first killzone using fog to hide everything and I got alittle sad. Beyond that the game looks pretty good and like the first one I love the faces on the characters.

gljvd

Banned
GAZERK said:
Uh huh. Jealous much, fanboy?

you need to stop trolling.

I've only stated what ign and 1up has in regards to the lighting engine.

Using pre baked texture lighting you will free up system resources for other things . Its old tech but still usefull.

if other games switch to this hybrid model instead of using full dynamic lighting like gears of war they will be able to pour cpu and gpu bugets into other areas of visual effects .

Its a simple fact .

I know as a sony fanboy you haven't had much hope with big named exclusives going multi platform and the only thing to look foward to was mgs4 . however this is a sequal to a 7-8 rated game and its using a lot of fudging to get where its at graphicly. Perhaps its just the alpha satus of it and they are using this lighting scheme as a means to and end , but its most likely not . I would think the great and powerfull ps3 would be able to use a full dynamic lighting engine on one of its big games that ms used in 2006. Moving backwards is not the way to move fowards .

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
RubberJohnny said:
It's now prettier than ever, but does the video show any other locations? Like a forest or something outside of a city?

No, it's all from one stage. Seeing as the original's variation in environments and colour palette was one of its stronger aspects, though - and definitely the most weirdly overlooked - I'm sure there'll be plenty more.

XSamu said:
I have never been a Halo fan. I may or may not be a Xbox 360 fan, but I've certainly never been a Halo fanboy.

Stop the comparison with Crysis please! Crysis is on an entire other level, you know that. I fully understand you guys are really happy with the graphics of Killzone, but comparing it with Crysis just doesn't make sense. Crysis has it all; perfect lighting, textures, physics, interaction, animation etc. That's what makes Crysis so special. Killzone looks nice and all, but come on, get real.
Nobody's actually comparing it to Crysis, someone JOKINGLY posted a comparison in response to one of my posts detailing why no console game can nor should be compared to Crysis.

The sarcasm was lost on a few people though.

Busty

Banned
XSamu said:

Correction. Xsamu account hasn't been hacked. He is however quite mad.

XSamu said:

It you're seriously in this thread asking people to calm down and start acknowledging Crysis as Killzone's superior you truly are on a fool's errand.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't. But I will say this.....

Let's let the dust settle on both games before we start asking for calm? The Sony conference is still five or so hours away and you know it's going to have a showing there as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheKingsCrown said:
Killzone has some great atmosphere, but I don't think it has as many synergies as COD4.

omg its like marketing nightmare

talk about the power of positive thinking next plz

DSN2K

kicks the shit out of Halo 3 visually, its right up there with Gears, Crysis for the holy shit factor WOW.

but will it end up a better game ? unlikely going by previous.

rs7k

Looks great, really great. It's not even close to the E3 05 demo, but pretty much what was expected.

I gotta say COD4 is my most anticipated FPS ever now, I'm kinda tired of sci-fi settings.

Kinan

gljvd said:
if other games switch to this hybrid model instead of using full dynamic lighting like gears of war they will be able to pour cpu and gpu bugets into other areas of visual effects .

Its a simple fact .

Man, do your homework before posting. Only released game so far that use full dynamic lighting is STALKER. And it makes 8800s cry.

Draft

BruceLeeRoy said:
I would not say easily trumps, especially if KZ2 is not pushing 60fps, but just going by the trailers, KZ2 has some crazy animations and lots of shit going on, which pushes it over the top for me.

A lot of the animations have that canned stink that I wish we'd shaken off for next-gen, but in the end who the f cares as long as it looks good. They have to spend that $40,000,000 on something I guess, and mo-cap is as good as anything.

Ceb

With all the talk of CoD4 in this thread, I can already picture the comparisons that will be made in reviews - just like Resistance was dismissed by some as "Call of Duty with aliens".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom