• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ichigo kurosaki said:
You guys are soo easy to impress. Okay it looks good but not so much better than anything already available... I wouldn't make such a ruckus over this footage, altough the effects look quite nice it's plain to see some textures are alarmingly bland (just look at the walls) and sub-GoW level. Not that I love GoW (or the fps genre for that matter) much, but being objective, and I think I am, this doesn't look much better than GoW, if better at all. I'd say they're pretty much on par, but GoW stages seemed much more impressive to me.

Matt, is that you?

:p

just saw HD Clip and by the nine divines! ITS AMAZING!!

I guess this is a good time for this:

killzone-footer.jpg

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
f@luS said:
instant ban please.

What part pissed you off? That Killzone is a little better than Gears or that COD4 is better than Killzone?

Sumasshu

uncdeez said:
What are you talking about? Killzone 2 absolutely smokes Crysis. The only true way to prove this is by posting image comparisons of some of the best screens each title has to offer.

Clearly Crysis does not measure up to Killzone 2.
This was a joke post, right?

dabig2

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Oh god, please don't turn this into a "vs. pic" fest. A moratorium, I'm beggin ya.

Inevitable. But it was a good ride initially. This place will be a battleground later on

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It does make me wonder what Resistance would look like with the post processing effects of KZ2 applied to it. I reckon it would have looked 'real' in places.

I love the cinematic film grain / motion blur look. Very nice.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Yeah, no vs please. Its just stupid. All games just trying to do their thing, some just do it better :lol

karasu

ichigo kurosaki said:
You guys are soo easy to impress. Okay it looks good but not so much better than anything already available... I wouldn't make such a ruckus over this footage, altough the effects look quite nice it's plain to see some textures are alarmingly bland (just look at the walls) and sub-GoW level. Not that I love GoW (or the fps genre for that matter) much, but being objective, and I think I am, this doesn't look much better than GoW, if better at all. I'd say they're pretty much on par, but GoW stages seemed much more impressive to me.

Seriously go back to eating you cornflakes, take a shit, get the spackel out of your eye, then come back and watch again.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Oh god, please don't turn this into a "vs. pic" fest. A moratorium, I'm beggin ya.

People who appreciate the graphics of this game, and who consider those graphics to be some of the best this generation are not turning this in to anything. It is those out there who have delusional fantasies about their preferred games who think that magically a game with objectively better graphics is somehow inferior. Killzone 2 has and will live up to the expectations of the fans, and it has and will be the best looking FPS out there on any console.

Sheesh, overreact much GAF. Yes it does look good (particularly the animation) but it's definitely too early to start saying "GOTY" and "Sony wins" and all that stuff. Like I said, it looks good, but after Killzone 1, don't hype yourself up too early.

Raistlin

Tideas said:
why is it that the 720p video is so stuttery? I tried VLC and quickttime. Neither helped

It's encoded at 60fps (supposedly, the game is running at that framerate part of the time).

That will beat the living crap out of most PC's.

Do you have a PS3? I'm sure it runs fine on there (CELL smokes PC's for video).

Defuser

Alkaliine said:
Sheesh, overreact much GAF. Yes it does look good (particularly the animation) but it's definitely too early to start saying "GOTY" and "Sony wins" and all that stuff. Like I said, it looks good, but after Killzone 1, don't hype yourself up too early.
ThisisNeoGAFdude.gif

Amir0x said:
NO SERIOUSLY GUYS WOW
:lol

Dizzy

Banned
Saw the trailer earlier and I was pretty impressed. Wasn't perfect but overall it was very impressive. The lighting was amazing.

I hear that it's 2008 though :( that's a shame.

TigersFan

chriskzoo said:
GOOD LORD!

How anyone can compare the trailer to Gears when the animation is absolutely sick, the environment appears to have a good amount of destructibility to it, and they seems to have finally effectively locked voices with the moving lips, is beyond me.
Thank god they're keeping the dialog on Gear's level though.

Manmademan said:
yep. the usual suspects were likely sleeping when the footage hit. I expect no less than a complete and total hater holocaust by this afternoon.

Either that or they didn't know how to possibly damage control this. 1up guided them to the "right" direction and from there the damage control begun.

JoJo13 said:
Again, the trailer looked really good.

Is there any confirmation if the game will be running at 60fps or 30fps?

I'm guessing 60fps. :D

With this level of graphics I seriously doubt it. Still haven't watched the 720p trailer though, so I reserve final judgement for later.

FightyF

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
oh **** what did you do to me?

DDT or Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane is the first modern pesticide and is one of the best known synthetic pesticides.

From Wikipedia:
In the 1980s, Roberts had his opponent, The Grappler, in a front facelock, but tripped.[1] Roberts' opponent fell on his head, legitimately knocking him out.[1] From that match, Roberts incorporated the move as his finisher, naming it the DDT, though instead of falling back, he stepped back before falling (which, as he explained on his DVD Pick Your Poison, was the quickest way to drive his opponent's head into the mat and also gave the move a "snap" effect). When asked what the acronym DDT stood for, he famously replied "The End."

navanman said:
Gears of War gives looks really nice but has faked lightmaps where as this and COD4 both have real dynamic lighting. Its just that Gears fakes it really really well. KZ2 is technically way ahead of Gears.

KZ 2 uses lightmaps as well.

Karma Kramer said:
Overall though this is the best looking game on next gen I have seen. But not as far and away as I originally thought.

People + Lighting + Post Effects = OMG
Environmental Textures = Okay

I'd even say that the textures are pretty poor by today's standards. Not even on the level of Resistance. The game's not finished...so we'll have to wait and see what they do with that.

But I've always looked at games like magic...it's all about fooling the end user. If most people are impressed, you've done your job as an artist. That said, I can see scenarios where people think Gears looks better, or this looks better. Scenarios where people think that Resistance is the best, or that Halo is the best. The fact remains that all of these games are quite comparable.

In some aspects, it's clear that Killzone 2 is leagues better in some departments, namely, animation. In other aspects, it's clear that games like Halo 3 have the best texturing. In Resistance, no game can compare in scope (well, maybe Call of Duty 4).

The reason why I personally rank Killzone above the rest is because a combination of things, the animation, the post process effects, and the geometry pushed around, all while still having destructable environments, and detailed characters. The poor textures stick out like a sore thumb because I'm a graphics nut, but to most I think they won't notice it as they are dazzled by the rest.

Kinan

Just watched the HD trailer. Can say only one thing.

HOLY KUTARAGI TESTICLES!!! Now only bring in texture streaming and up the texture resolution a bit and this is an ultimate picture quality winner of this generation so far.

Btw, you guys remember that Killzone leak few days ago? When that person said that Hellghast react realistically as to where they are shot? Well, since this was so gloriously confirmed, I'd say the another part of that leak also deserves attention. Namely, multiplayer mode where you fight for villages and towns and they change their appearance completely according to side that control them.

Cant wait for beta test that one.

Also, someone at E3 please ask em if KZ2 will support kb+m or not? If not, I'm buying fragFX. :p

Whoa. Sony did deliver. It isn't as polished as the E305 'target render' but for most part they did deliver.

Textures aren't amazing, but if this is pre-pre-Alpha code as they said it was then I am sure they will improve by the time it hits gold.

Time to buy a PS3 then. :D

USD

Alkaliine said:
I do think that people have this habit of associating technically impressiveness with great gameplay, even though there's no certain tie between them. Killzone's got the intensity, but that says nothing really of the gameplay. But as far as Sony "winning" E3, after MS underwhelming press conference, I don't think it will be very hard to do that.

I think GG just has a real awesome eye for post-process effects. The art is simply amazing... and the little tricks and things they have implemented... really go a LOOONG way.

Essentially what I am saying... is GG pulled this off... not because they somehow unlocked the PS3... but simply because they are very good at what they do.

Like Killzone 2 looks so much more real than anything else... but again if you look at the textures its actually in a lot of areas worse than the GoW or UT3 textures... its just that because GG took an environment that has very little color contrasts (gritty) and added a film grain plus a soft blur to everything... the results are amazing.

Plus as I said... their art is very good also. Much better than any other FPS I have seen.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The video looks better than Gears.

I think the people who are putting gears over kz2 are looking at very small areas and giving Gears the win for having more detail in that small area.

Just loop a couple seconds of a scene from the kz2 video and then note every single thing that is going on, both environmental and player/enemy models. Gears environments while looking quite nice are still almost entirely static. Doesn't appear to be the case with KZ2.

Doesn't really matter, either way, I suppose. You can't play Gears on a PS3 and you won't be playing KZ2 on a 360/PC.

Joates

Banned
dai said:
jesus christ, dude. give it a rest, already. :lol

Well if people are going to compare the two, we might as well compare them.

Ive already said the graphics look great, theres no denying it. But its not this "second coming" of graphics you guys are making it out to be. And the reactions to the 1up article are absolutely ridiculous. Anything short of "best graphics Ive ever seen" and you guys would have had your pitchforks ready. Its true. They praised the game, but apparently they didnt praise it enough for you all. Do you realize how dumb that is?

J-Rzez

Amir0x said:
NO SERIOUSLY GUYS WOW

Yeah, it's pretty incredible they just about pulled it off to match, and maybe with the months of polish left, who knows how it'll end up...

Between MGS4 and now this alone they might have wrapped up this show for a lot of people... Let alone who knows what else they may have in store for everyone... Imagine if they pulled out something with Gran in the title at their conference?

Rezbit

This is so weird. We're on a forum, talking about graphics in a videogame in a very aggressive manner. Man...what the **** is wrong with us, lol.

Raistlin

Hey Bish (and other mods) ...

Do you guys ever keep stats on bannings?

I'd love to see a head count of total E3-based thread bannings at the end of the week ... as well as counts for some of the big threads (not asking you guys to do it - just think it would be hysterical).

For example, come tomorrow ... I expect this thread to be an absolute blood-bath :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom