• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PS3 Price Cut - Up to 17% Off

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Visualante said:
The PS2 famously launched at $300 and £300. This is a great step in the right direction, and it has dropped a psychological price barrier for a lot of people, the major retailers are still charging £425 (by bundling crap Blu Rays).

I think online retailers will be able to sell it in the £319 region, or at least bundle a first party game.

Well £319 doesnt' sound bad to me.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hmm, Ok, its a start, but the problem is it'll be a (at maximum) a 17% cut off MSRP, which in the UK is £425 down to £350, which, given the fact that some retailers are doing £399 including motorstorm, isnt much of a saving, right direction though.

tjhooker

Banned
It begins.

mckmas8808 said:
Is that price good or bad? How do you UK guys feel about this price?

PS2 launched @ £300.

360 is in even more serious trouble in Europe if this price cut is true.

tjhooker said:
Depends how quickly Sony can get some racers out. 360s are coming with free Forza 2 at the moment, it's a no brainer for the on-the-fence console shopper.

guise

tjhooker said:
It begins.

PS2 launched @ £300.

What? You can get a Premium 360 with an extra pad bundled with 4 or 5 games for ~£300

Well, 500€ tax included (16% here) is basically 420€ + Taxes with 2yr warranty. So PS3 here costs about $570 + tax with extended warranty included. It is indeed the most expensive version, but not a big deal if you take into account all the variables.

Capoeira

Wow, for the briefest of moments I actually thought about picking one up. It's working! But there's still some ways to go before I pay up, namely a lower price + shockaxis.

Well, even lower than it is now at least. Sub $700 + extras and we're talking.

tjhooker

Banned
Visualante said:
360s are coming with free Forza 2 at the moment, it's a no brainer for the on-the-fence console shopper.

Forza 2 isn't a system seller by any stretch of the imagination.

In fact the original was outsold by Pac Man World 2 and that was after it was bundled with XBox.

Suerte

guise said:
What? You can get a Premium 360 with an extra pad bundled with 4 or 5 games for ~£300

And I've even seen deals the past few days for a premium for £200-220 without any bundled extras, not too bad if you don't fancy paying extra for games you don't really want.

Aggelos

nofilter said:
Thought it deserved it's own thread, please leave my testicles alone if you disagree, I like them.
:lol
If somebody disagrees, then what? Your testicles will become his personal property!?!?!:D

tjhooker said:
Forza 2 isn't a system seller by any stretch of the imagination.

In fact the original was outsold by Pac Man World 2 and that was after it was bundled with XBox.
We are not talking about XBOX or the original Forza, though. I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from but I know someone who works in a store and is selling a lot of Forza and a lot of Forza bundles. They sold out on Saturday for the first time in months.

Europe <3 racers.

guise

tjhooker said:
So what.

It's naive to think that price is 360's problem in Japan and Europe.

Price may not be the 360's problem, but it is the PS3's problem. £350 is still expensive - especially with 2 other strong players in the market, even if this is Sony land.

Does anyone know where I can find euro 360/PS3 hardware numbers?

Lain

Given how close from release the pricecut is hitting in Europe, I hope Sony is smart enough to offer something for us early adopters.

bee said:
ive already seen it on sale for as low as £350 and u can regularly get them for around £360-70.

I've heard that Grainger Games are doing PS3s in store for UK£350. Still doesn't seem to be helping. Nor does the bundling that's occurring at UK£399.

Obviously, if this price cut is true then it's a start and it brings the PS3 back into line with the Wii and 360 in terms of the %-premium over the US pricing. UK£425 is US$850 which is 70% more expensive than the 60GB model now is in the US, whereas the Wii and 360 cost around 40% more than the US equivalent.

However, UK£350 is still too high. It needs to hit the pyschologically important sub-UK£300 price point of UK£299.99. That's when the 'hardcore' (if you will) will be prepared to start buying on impulse.

The mass-market price is UK£199.99, but that isn't where the PS3 needs to be targeted at the moment and is rather where it needs to be by Christmas 2008 (provided the Wii hasn't already eaten the mass-market by then and Microsoft fail to grow market- and mind-share). At the moment, it needs to get the core gamers on board - something it still isn't capable of doing. At UK£299.99 though, a lot of the core gamers will think nothing of impulse buying it on pay-day.

But... will Sony swallow their pride and actually give us a UK£75 price cut so soon after launch? They have to balance it between those people who are going to be seriously pissed off because they paid full price (who will make a lot of noise, and consumer advocacy groups and programmes have a lot of clout here in the EU), annoyed retailers and trying to avoid the perception that it's a panic move whilst dealing with a UK£350 price point still being too high.

If Sony had actually bothered to offer the 20-gig SKU in the EU then they could have dropped that to UK£299.99 to make the key price point and lowered the 60-gig to £399.99 (achieving at least some psychological advantage - "hmm.. 400 quid" as opposed to "****... over 400 quid") with a nice little Value-Added bundle and also given a 'reward' to the loyal fans who paid full retail for the 60-gig unit. Hell, it may even be worth them implementing a 20-gig SKU in Europe just to hit that important sub-£300 price point.

The worst thing Sony could do would be to leave the price where it is and just do some Added-Value bundling as part of the SRP. That's what's happening unofficially at the moment, and it ain't helping.

deftangel

took a programming course
Hell I wanted the 20GB SKU. I'd put in my own HD when I needed it, I've no interest in someone's Microwave lagging me online so I'm all over ethernet and no use for a card reader.

I'm in this year for Heavenly Sword, it's just how much I'm paying. I hope it's under £300.

Never thought this would happen so soon but I'm quite happy about it. Uncharted bundle for 500 € with shockaxis for christmas and I'm probably sold.

guise said:
Price may not be the 360's problem, but it is the PS3's problem. £350 is still expensive - especially with 2 other strong players in the market, even if this is Sony land.

Does anyone know where I can find euro 360/PS3 hardware numbers?
You can't really. Apart from the occasional press release of course.

Ramenman said:
Three months in.

Impressive.
Closer to four, but still pretty quick.
DefectiveReject said:
Didn't MS refund the poor bastards who paid out full price for an XBox on day one?

Why should i lose £75 after 3 freaking months?
Because you got to have your PS3 for 3 extra months.

Scrow said:
get below the $500 AUD mark and we'll talk Sony

Feel free to jump in in 2010. Seriously, the best we can hope for is a decent price compared to the current US$500 price tag, and sadly, we aren't going to see that.

When Nintendo can charge AU$400 for a Wii, there's no way in hell you're getting a PS3 for AU$100 more.

Vashu

I know that a Dutch toyshop-chain called Intertoys received a message about an upcoming price change for the PS3. Which would be effective as of July 15th, so expect something to be said this week for the PAL-territories too. Too bad it didn't state what amount the price cut entails, but at least it's another confirmation of the rigorous change in price.

And yeah, I bought one on day one, and although I'm not one to whine on it, I'd like to see some compensation actually.

If the $829AU price is true I expect most retailers will drop it to $799AU. If they do and Sony have a fantastic E3 a PS3 will be mine.

Pachael

JB Hi-Fi owned! They've been saying 'no PS3 price cuts till 2009' to get people paying A$999! I'll continue waiting anyway ;p

Top Bottom