• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VDigi Wii VGA adapter.

I tried to search to see if anyone else posted this today or earlier but vga is too short a word to use or something.

Anyway, VDigi just announced a new VGA adapter for the Wii.
Link: http://www.vdigi.com/
Price: $39.90

We would glad to announce that our new product VD-W2 is released to the market! VD-W2 is a component to vga cable for Wii console, which allow players to connect their Wii consoles to their VGA interface, such as LCD, projector, etc. So that players can enjoy the Wii 480p quality on their monitor.

Features for the VD-W2:
- Easy to setup and use
- Compatible with Japan and U.S. version console Wii, backward
compatible with Gamecube 480p supported games
- Provide high quality VGA output
- Clear crystal image quality
- No external power needed
- Support wide range of CRT/LCD monitors

Less than 40 units in stock at the moment.
Not that anyone cares since the Wii isn't exactly next gen anyway.

They made one for Gamecube, well not this company specifically, but it existed.

With a shitty TV and wanting a Wii, I would be interested in this for sure.

ATF487 said:
Problem is that not every game is 480p, and some (all?) monitors can't display interlaced signals.

Those games don't work I believe, but practically all Wii games, and all the good GC ones have 480p I believe. All of Nintendo's games and the major third party ones.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
ATF487 said:
Problem is that not every game is 480p, and some (all?) monitors can't display interlaced signals.
Correct, and its fucking annoying when you're a PAL user.

I have the product this company put out before this vga cable (the VD-Z3) and i hate it when 480i games wont display.

Hollywood_mIRC said:
Those games don't work I believe, but practically all Wii games, and all the good GC ones have 480p I believe. All of Nintendo's games and the major third party ones.
Companies have the tendency to fuck up PAL releases by removing 480p support.

Branskins

Also, my problem would be that my monitor is is 16:10 and not 16:9, so I do not think the games would actually look any better in 480p than 480i.

Tchu-Espresso

Branskins said:
Also, my problem would be that my monitor is is 16:10 and not 16:9, so I do not think the games would actually look any better in 480p than 480i.
It doesnt make a big difference. I have a 16:10 monitor - you should be worried about how high the resolution of your monitor is (hi res lcds = pixellation) more than the aspect ratio.

Doesn't look bad:

wii_paper_mario.jpg

wiigc480p.jpg

kkg1701

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Keep in mind thats a small 4:3 monitor. Widescreen monitors automatically stretch non widescreen games.

Are you sure? That doesn't look like a 4:3 aspect ratio. Measuring the picture gives 9cm by 5.5cm which would indicate 16:10.

KK

NotWii

Banned
And... BOUGHT

Looking forward to trying this cable out, looks far better than Composite through my TV Tuner.

aoi tsuki

i've got one of their previous products, the VD-XB IIRC. It converts component to VGA, and the output is fucking beautiful. Cheapest way to get HD if you've got a decent CRT.

Tchu-Espresso

kkg1701 said:
Are you sure? That doesn't look like a 4:3 aspect ratio. Measuring the picture gives 9cm by 5.5cm which would indicate 16:10.

KK
My mistake, although my point still stands.

Kaeru

Banned
this thread needs user impressions, keep em coming.
My television supports component through vga, but I have no component itself.
Its an LCD display that has a HDMI but no component. I suck at life, so I really need this for my wii.

Branskins

It doesnt make a big difference. I have a 16:10 monitor - you should be worried about how high the resolution of your monitor is (hi res lcds = pixellation) more than the aspect ratio.

Well my monitor right now is 1680 x 1050

Jirotrom

Ive been using the original vidigi XBOX VGA adapter for my wii and 360 for the past year...it works well but it makes the wii have a bit of a "pixelated" look. This version made forthe wii might be better and I would be very interested in it.

Ecrofirt

So if VDigi is making one and selling it, does that mean there's an easy mod to turn a Wii component cable into a VGA cable like there was for GameCube?

Cruceh

Banned
applicationwf7.jpg

Does anyone know what that thing is called that can connect to the speaker? Does it come with the VGA adapter or does it have to be bought separately?

Ecrofirt

Cruceh said:
applicationwf7.jpg

Does anyone know what that thing is called that can connect to the speaker? Does it come with the VGA adapter or does it have to be bought separately?

That just looks like an RCA - 1/8" Minijack converter. It's basically turn the red and white wires that the Wii uses for audio into the same type of wires you plug into a sound card or what have you.

homez99

It only lists it working with Japanese and US Wii's, I'm under the impression that it will work on my PAL system but 480i games will either not show at all or be very dodgy, correct?

quaere

Component to VGA converters have been around for a long time and they work great. I use one for 360, PS3, and HDTV at 720p. It’s so much cheaper to buy a VGA monitor than a panel with component inputs, who knows why. But no, computer monitors can not display 480i.

Hairtux

Keep in mind thats a small 4:3 monitor. Widescreen monitors automatically stretch non widescreen games.

No, not all of them automatically stretch 4:3 images. And most can switch aspect ratios anyway.

arab

what the hell they don't take credit card :[ i don't want to pay with paypal...guess i'll have to wait till another shop carries them :[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

EBCubs03

Banned
Those images look pretty damn good.. I wonder if there's a little camera trickery going on there. I'm on the verge of ordering one of these.

MGrant

I ordered one, will have impressions when it arrives. Problem is, it's shipping from Hong Kong. So it could be a while.

GCQuinton

Just checked my mail from yesterday and my order showed up. Considering that it came from Hong Kong, getting them to NC in a week ain't that bad at all. I'll try to get some shots up later today.

Lee N

Membre
This only accept 480p and not 480i, right?

If so, I have a question. How do you set your Wii to 480p if you can't see anything when you connect it to your monitor?

NotWii

Banned
Impressions:
- 5 Day shipping to my location
- Vibrant colours!
- Crisp Jaggies! Looks just like Nintendo released screenshots (but it looks good in motion)
- Scanline dithering is more noticeable than before for blending effects such as fog/billboards.
- Slight pixelation, but that's to be expected when the source res is 640x480 (Wii output res) stretched to 848x480 (anamorphic widescreen) and then upscaled to LCD Monitor res (1680x1050 in my case)
- Looks as good as the screens on the site, so I won't bother taking photos
- PAL 480p is the same as NTSC 480p in case you were wondering
My rating: 9/10

Lee N said:
This only accept 480p and not 480i, right?

If so, I have a question. How do you set your Wii to 480p if you can't see anything when you connect it to your monitor?
Yep

Just connect the VDigi Cable to the Wii (the Wii treats it as a Component Cable, so the 480p option will be ungreyed)
Navigate the menus blind and turn on 480p, thank god Nintendo put rumble in the wiimote so you can tell if you're on the button or not.

Lee N

Membre
Wii said:
Just connect the VDigi Cable to the Wii (the Wii treats it as a Component Cable, so the 480p option will be ungreyed)
Navigate the menus blind and turn on 480p, thank god Nintendo put rumble in the wiimote so you can tell if you're on the button or not.
But I don't have a TV with component input (yeahyeah, stoneage etc). The appeal of this cable was to be able to run 480p on my 22" CRT monitor.

So basically this cable is useless for me?

Top Bottom