• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VDigi Wii VGA adapter.

FoxSpirit said:
Wait, aren't there some games which won't output 480p? I think Trauma Center PAL comes to mind.

Yup. Metal Slug Anthology is another.

BTW Sin and Punishment with this cable = nice

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sry for the bump...but wil there be a vdigi version for pal wii`s ?

Got the cable yesterday and a newly fixed Wii today for almost perfect timing. Games look sweet. Jaggies are visible (Not so much in the pics) but I adjust to them well enough. I'm also uploading some videos I took, but they're taking a while.

PHOT0011.jpg

PHOT0043.jpg

PHOT0019.jpg

PHOT0022.jpg

PHOT0031.jpg

PHOT0029.jpg

Darkman M

Quick question do you guys game actually fit the whole screen, i get then black bars on the left side and top of the screen with my cables.

When my monitor auto adjusts I get a black bar at the bottom of the screen for most games and some games are surrounded on all sides by a black box.

EBCubs03

Banned
If you have a 16:10 monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping, you'll get black bars somewhere..

if you have a 16:9 monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping, it should fit the whole screen

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I got my vdigi adapter a few months ago, and I love it. Worth the money.

Darkman M

EBCubs03 said:
If you have a 16:10 monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping, you'll get black bars somewhere..

if you have a 16:9 monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping, it should fit the whole screen

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I got my vdigi adapter a few months ago, and I love it. Worth the money.

Weird mine is 16:9 widescreen hdtv.

Well when I said adjust I meant I just get used to them. They're usually jarring after playing something on the 360 with the same monitor but after spending some time in whatever game I'm playing I just don't notice it as much. I think you can probably reduce them if your monitor can shrink the picture down. But then you'd have a black box all around the screen.

Anony

i had to create a gaf account just for this...

anyways, i have a problem with the cable, instead of explaining it, i took a vid of the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvz3ROjzFU

the back story is this; i got a wiikey sd adapter, i plugged it into the gc slot A, it said it didnt recognize the input, so i plugged it out, and it shutdown on it's own
then the exact same thing happened as the video
plugging back the s-video cable, it turned on, and plugged in the wiikey sd adapter, no problems, but it couldnt recognize the media
so i proceeded to play no more heroes off the terrible s-video for one week
then i gave it one more chance, i plugged in the wii vga cable but this time, i had the wiikey sd adapter in it before turning it on, and it worked. i played the last chapter in the much better 480p, but i moved the wii back in my room (thinking it's okay now) and it happens again, this time, no matter what combination of inputs i try, nothing works now

I've been using the Vdigi cable for a good 2 months now and it works great (my monitor is a CRT though ....a GDM-FW900 to be exact :D /bragging). My only beef with it is that the ends are female. So you'll have do it like Wii -> Vdigi -> VGA cable -> monitor.

With a normal 6ft VGA on the Vdigi you've got a 12 foot cable.... which I think is not very ideal when it come to VGA signals (I could be dead wrong though).

Regardless I was using a crap 6t VGA cable, and switching it out with a high quality 1ft VGA* made a huge difference in picture quality for me.

So yea, I'd definitely recommend this. It's a bit pricey, but very nicely made and works great.

*https://www.monoprice.com/products/...=10201&cs_id=1020102&p_id=3609&seq=1&format=2 (what I use, monoprice is awesome)

HotGarbage said:
I've been using the Vdigi cable for a good 2 months now and it works great (my monitor is a CRT though ....a GDM-FW900 to be exact :D /bragging). My only beef with it is that the ends are female. So you'll have do it like Wii -> Vdigi -> VGA cable -> monitor.

With a normal 6ft VGA on the Vdigi you've got a 12 foot cable.... which I think is not very ideal when it come to VGA signals (I could be dead wrong though).

Regardless I was using a crap 6t VGA cable, and switching it out with a high quality 1ft VGA* made a huge difference in picture quality for me.

So yea, I'd definitely recommend this. It's a bit pricey, but very nicely made and works great.

*https://www.monoprice.com/products/...=10201&cs_id=1020102&p_id=3609&seq=1&format=2 (what I use, monoprice is awesome)
you could have used a gender changer instead.

Ramenman

Since I'm going to buy an LCD monitor for my gaming needs this looks like the perfect fit to play with my Wii, but I have a question : do they only take PayPal for payments ? Not that it's a problem, but it was supposed to be a gift from someone who doesn't have an account so credit card payment would be more practical.

Ramenman said:
Since I'm going to buy an LCD monitor for my gaming needs this looks like the perfect fit to play with my Wii, but I have a question : do they only take PayPal for payments ? Not that it's a problem, but it was supposed to be a gift from someone who doesn't have an account so credit card payment would be more practical.
VDigi take Paypal yes, that's how I ordered mine, awaiting its delivery so I can get off my parent's small (does imported Smash in Colour) TV.

Ramenman

Darkflight said:
VDigi take Paypal yes, that's how I ordered mine, awaiting its delivery so I can get off my parent's small (does imported Smash in Colour) TV.

Yeah I know they do, since I apparently have no other choice. My question was can I pay with a credit card, and apparently I can't.

Ramenman

Hmm, I just got it and it looks like problem.

The colors of the picture are all messed up. The blue is blue, but it's purple/green where it shouldn't be.

It's a PAL Wii and the monitor is a Samsung 931BW.

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Also, I've already changed the switches to the different positions written on the cable and it changes nothing.

I want to ask this as clearly as possible:

Will the VGA cable, be any better than Nintendo's Component Cables on my 20" 16:9 LCD HDTV that has a D-Sub input?

I want to know if it'll make the picture at least noticeably better.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hero of legend said:
I want to ask this as clearly as possible:

Will the VGA cable, be any better than Nintendo's Component Cables on my 20" 16:9 LCD HDTV that has a D-Sub input?

I want to know if it'll make the picture at least noticeably better.
in short: depends what your TV does to the signal from the d-sub port. assuming no fuck-ups are present in the circuitry on either ports, you should _not_ see any difference. in practice they usually differ, though. try attaching a native VGA device to the TV and see if what the TV produces satisfies you. compare that to what you get from the component port. decide.

blu said:
in short: depends what your TV does to the signal from the d-sub port. assuming no fuck-ups are present in the circuitry on either ports, you should _not_ see any difference. in practice they usually differ, though. try attaching a native VGA device to the TV and see if what the TV produces satisfies you. compare that to what you get from the component port. decide.

So the picture quality is usually the same, so basically, VGA is an alternative to Component?

Would VGA make the pixels clearer possibly?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hero of legend said:
So the picture quality is usually the same, so basically, VGA is an alternative to Component?
given all relevant conditions equal - yes.

Would VGA make the pixels clearer possibly?
not on a device with a 4:2:2 YCbCr framebuffer.

Crimmy

Has anyone had success with these cables when using a Samsung monitor? I haven't read ONE positive impression of Samsung owners with these cables throughout all of the internet. There seems to be a compatibility issue with Samsung which sucks for me because I ordered these cables due to the fact that they give zero input lag.

I'm hoping another third party company makes VGA cables in the future because VDigi doesn't seem to be compatible with Samsung, which is ironic conisdering Samsung makes the best LCD's in terms of PQ.

Let me in

Crimmy said:
Has anyone had success with these cables when using a Samsung monitor? I haven't read ONE positive impression of Samsung owners with these cables throughout all of the internet...

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW and the VGA cables work flawlessly. I did have to adjust the picture position in the Wii settings because it was off center, but other than that I have had no problems.

Crimmy

Let me in said:
I have a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW and the VGA cables work flawlessly. I did have to adjust the picture position in the Wii settings because it was off center, but other than that I have had no problems.

A GLIMMER OF HOPE SHINES FROM ABOVE.

But seriously, that makes me feel good because if you check the review site and everyones comment on wii.nintendo.net , EVERYONE with a Samsung has had problems with these cables.

Now I have a few questions:

How recent is your TV? Not when you bought it but when was it made/released?
How long have you had the cables and had them on your TV? I ask because a few people said the cables didnt start screwing up until 1-2 months after they purchased them.

Crimmy

How do you change those switches on the back of the TV? I heard it can give you a different display with each setting.

Banned
Crimmy said:
How do you change those switches on the back of the TV? I heard it can give you a different display with each setting.
I guess you mean the back of the cable? There was a clear sticker over the DIP switches on mine that I had to remove before I could adjust it, which was a real pain to get rid of.

There should be a leaflet that came with your cable (probably available online too) telling you what the different positions to use are. (if I remember correctly, there were four settings you could choose from)

Ramenman

Crimmy said:
A GLIMMER OF HOPE SHINES FROM ABOVE.

But seriously, that makes me feel good because if you check the review site and everyones comment on wii.nintendo.net , EVERYONE with a Samsung has had problems with these cables.

Now I have a few questions:

How recent is your TV? Not when you bought it but when was it made/released?
How long have you had the cables and had them on your TV? I ask because a few people said the cables didnt start screwing up until 1-2 months after they purchased them.

Works flawlessly with my Samsung 931BW too, just so you know.

And I let the settings on the back of the cable to default, the other settings made the image too big to fit on the screen, or stuff like that.
And I didn't realise it was only a sticker above the switches, so I thought I had to open the thing with a screwdriver to change them, which I did. I felt quite dumb when I figured out :D

andrewfee said:
I guess you mean the back of the cable? There was a clear sticker over the DIP switches on mine that I had to remove before I could adjust it, which was a real pain to get rid of.

There should be a leaflet that came with your cable (probably available online too) telling you what the different positions to use are. (if I remember correctly, there were four settings you could choose from)
They aren't switches, I don't think. My friends tried to fiddle with mine and ended up breaking them off. One of them managed to put them back in though. I think you need to get tweezers and pull them out of place and put them where you want.

Caj814

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2232 BW Monitor and I was wondering if this adapter works well for it.I heard the one thats PS3/Wii is trash so I imagine this is the only other option.Also it lacks 1:1 pixel mapping if that might effect anything other than it being slightly stretched.

Banned
JPBrowncoat said:
They aren't switches, I don't think. My friends tried to fiddle with mine and ended up breaking them off. One of them managed to put them back in though. I think you need to get tweezers and pull them out of place and put them where you want.
They're tiny DIP switches, you're not supposed to pull them out.

Ramenman

Caj814 said:
I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2232 BW Monitor and I was wondering if this adapter works well for it.I heard the one thats PS3/Wii is trash so I imagine this is the only other option.Also it lacks 1:1 pixel mapping if that might effect anything other than it being slightly stretched.

I don't have 1:1 on my Samsung monitor and I have no problem. I'm not even sure the Wii image is stretched (the 360 is) now that you mention it.

JPBrowncoat said:
Got the cable yesterday and a newly fixed Wii today for almost perfect timing. Games look sweet. Jaggies are visible (Not so much in the pics) but I adjust to them well enough. I'm also uploading some videos I took, but they're taking a while.

PHOT0011.jpg

PHOT0043.jpg

PHOT0019.jpg

PHOT0022.jpg

PHOT0031.jpg

PHOT0029.jpg

Is that actually a HDTV? Why on earth are you using an VGA cable on a Component capable TV? It makes no sense.

Edit: Ok it must be a LCD monitor. How silly of me :p

Banned
Vaandaviii said:
Is that actually a HDTV? Why on earth are you using an VGA cable on a Component capable TV? It makes no sense.
Many HDTVs have ‘hidden’ processing applied to analogue inputs, or don't have the controls available to get the best picture out of a low-resolution source.

VGA tends to bypass anything an HDTV does, so you don't have any sharpness ‘enhancement’, noise reduction etc. and zero overscan. While some HDTVs may give you the options to disable all the sharpness enhancement etc. most won't let you disable overscan with anything below 720p. (or 1080i/p on some sets) As far as I know, only the latest Panasonic displays let you do that.

Vaandaviii said:

Edit: Ok it must be a LCD monitor. How silly of me :p
Yeah it was an LCD. I upgraded to an actual HDTV and when my friend broke off the DIP switches (thanks andrewfree, too late though :p) I went out and got component. Color looked better through that on my tv so it felt like an upgrade.

The Hermit

Caj814 said:

Me too...

Someone please answer if this is the best solution if you don´t have a 16:9 tv, cause I´m just a click from buying this thing...

The Hermit

So I bough the vdigi cable, and I am having some problems with it:

-There´s a LOT of static in the screen always... even when the screen is black. What could be causing this?

-When I click home button the screen goes black for a while (2 seconds) before showing the screen again.

- Vectorman screen goes black too, but this time during gameplay after blowing up the monitors.

I am regretting this thing a lot... :/

Anduril

I received my VDigi cable yesterday and boy, was I in for a disappointment.

I've tried it with four (!) different monitors - my primary Samsung 2493HM (and I only found out after getting the cable that it seems to have serious problems with Samsungs, whooo), an older 17" CRT Iiyama, another 17" LCD and and a 15" LG (yeah, I still have those lying around) and it doesnt work with anyone of them. Three of those monitors I've tried with all the possible DIP settings, but of course to no avail.

It seems as if the VGA port simply doesn't work, as the green component chinch works - I had no problems setting it to 480p (and yeah, I've tried it on two different TVs, so I know it was set up correctly) and the sound came through the red and white one without problems, but no signal via VGA whatsoever. So, I guess I got a bad cable, cause the chances of the thing not working on four totally different monitors really has to be close to zero.

Off to mailing VDigi about a replacement now. :(

Top Bottom