• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VDigi Wii VGA adapter.

Lee N said:
But I don't have a TV with component input (yeahyeah, stoneage etc). The appeal of this cable was to be able to run 480p on my 22" CRT monitor.

So basically this cable is useless for me?

It is VGA input, not component.

Lee N

Membre
Finncognito said:
It is VGA input, not component.
You have to have the Wii connected to a TV via Component to be able to set it to 480p, the VGA cable only support progressive so I won't be able to see shit unless I switch the Wii to 480p first. And I can't switch it to 480p because I don't have a TV with component input.

oh, catch22..

homez99

Lee N said:
You have to have the Wii connected to a TV via Component to be able to set it to 480p, the VGA cable only support progressive so I won't be able to see shit unless I switch the Wii to 480p first. And I can't switch it to 480p because I don't have a TV with component input.

oh, catch22..

You will be able to feel your way to the menu though to set it to 480p. The Wiimote vibrates slightly when you go over any menu item, and with basically 3 or 4 button presses in the same place, you will set it to 480p.

Wii said:
Impressions:
- 5 Day shipping to my location
- Vibrant colours!
- Crisp Jaggies! Looks just like Nintendo released screenshots (but it looks good in motion)
- Scanline dithering is more noticeable than before for blending effects such as fog/billboards.
- Slight pixelation, but that's to be expected when the source res is 640x480 (Wii output res) stretched to 848x480 (anamorphic widescreen) and then upscaled to LCD Monitor res (1680x1050 in my case)
- Looks as good as the screens on the site, so I won't bother taking photos
- PAL 480p is the same as NTSC 480p in case you were wondering
My rating: 9/10

Did you try any of the 480i games for the Wii and see if they worked?

Tobor

Lee N said:

oh, catch22..

Do you know anyone who has a Wii and is using component?

NotWii

Banned
Lee N said:
But I don't have a TV with component input (yeahyeah, stoneage etc). The appeal of this cable was to be able to run 480p on my 22" CRT monitor.

So basically this cable is useless for me?
Neither do I.

Just navigate the menus blindly and turn on 480p, worked for me.

Lee N

Membre
Tobor said:
Do you know anyone who has a Wii and is using component?
No.. most of my friends are like me, waiting for HDTVs to get better (and cheaper)..

Wii said:
Neither do I.

Just navigate the menus blindly and turn on 480p, worked for me.
Ok, that'll do I suppose. I ordered the cable.

Jirotrom

you could hook up your Wii on a normal TV and take it all the way to the Progressive scan menu... then memorize and switch cables.

kurahadol

What are the advantages to using something like this against say a VGA Box? I was looking into hooking up my Wii through VGA but I may also want to hook some other things up to it too, like my dreamcast.

NotWii

Banned
kurahadol said:
What are the advantages to using something like this against say a VGA Box? I was looking into hooking up my Wii through VGA but I may also want to hook some other things up to it too, like my dreamcast.
Cheaper and doesn't need a power socket.

VGA Box is still a good investment

GCQuinton

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait till tomorrow to try this out on my 42" LCD. Gonna have to pick up a gender adapter since it doesn't come with one.

homez99

Mine's currently at the post office as there's a £1.09 customs charge, will get it Tuesday and post some pictures in the evening, looking forward to it. Any tips on the invisible resolution changing?

kurahadol said:
K that's what I figured. Since we're on the topic, mind recommending any decent VGA boxes? :D
VDigi VD-Z3!

http://www.vdigi.com/

also, doesn't the VDigi Wii VGA Cable come with an output for the Y (green) component signal?

you should be able to hook that up to a normal tv via composite and see in black & white...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Black Brad Pitt said:
Keep in mind thats a small 4:3 monitor. Widescreen monitors automatically stretch non widescreen games.

My mistake, although my point still stands.

Ever heard of 1:1 pixel mapping, done by most Non-shitty widescreen monitors nowdays?

Lee N

Membre
The Faceless Master said:
also, doesn't the VDigi Wii VGA Cable come with an output for the Y (green) component signal?
Interesting.. you're right that it could very well work.

Lee N

Membre
Vong_Assassin said:
Which games only run at 480i?
Trauma Center for one... a bunch of european games had 480p removed from the game I hear. Don't know any specifics, I'm sure google knows more though.

I got my VGA cable today though, I haven't tried it yet, but shipping sure was fast.

thatbox

Banned
I have the VD-Z3 component>VGA transcoder, and I can't recommend it. It crushes blacks and slightly muddies color. It's fine for bright things like WarioWare and whatnot, but trying to play Halo leaves you lost in Pillar of Autumn access corridors and haplessly falling into Library pits.

Vong_Assassin said:
Raving Rabids, for one :(

Lee N

Membre
Vong_Assassin said:
BTW, can I assume from the photo on the website that the VGA plug is male?
Yeah, that was a bit wtf.. I had to run out and buy a gender changer. But if you have a spare regular VGA cable, that'll do fine too.

I was just about to take some photos of the VGA cable in action, but my cameras batteries were dry.

homez99

Vong_Assassin said:
BTW, can I assume from the photo on the website that the VGA plug is male?

It's actually female on the site, and it comes as female. I had to get a male to male cable to plug it in.

Lee N

Membre
Flesh Into Gear said:
Are you guys all using small monitors? My 37inch TV has a VGA port, I wonder how it would look.
22" CRT here.. but I don't have component and/or 480p on my TV so it's a win for me.

I'm using the XCM 1080p VGA box and it's been great with the Wii and my 24" Sony CRT. Blacks and all that contrast looks outstanding on it. Kinda helps that my monitor is beast in the first place. XD

Lee N

Membre
homez99 said:
It's actually female on the site, and it comes as female. I had to get a male to male cable to plug it in.
Ah, yeah.. I always get those connector genders mixed up. But yeah.. it didn't fit my monitor either, kinda strange decision but I suppose they assume people want to use a VGA cable to extend the length in case you don't have the wii right next to your computer.

homez99

Flesh Into Gear said:
Are you guys all using small monitors? My 37inch TV has a VGA port, I wonder how it would look.

I have a 19" LCD TV Screen that only has VGA, S-Video, Composite, Scart, and no Component, so now got to find a VGA switch so I can use my 360 too. Anyone have any good suggestions?

thatbox

Banned
homez99 said:
I have a 19" LCD TV Screen that only has VGA, S-Video, Composite, Scart, and no Component, so now got to find a VGA switch so I can use my 360 too. Anyone have any good suggestions?
http://www.crescendo-systems.com/rev_transcoder.html

Made by AVS Forum people. Wish I'd gotten it instead of the VD-Z3.

Edit: You could just get a 360 VGA cable, too, though, which should look better and have more resolution options than transcoding component.

homez99

thatbox said:
http://www.crescendo-systems.com/rev_transcoder.html

Made by AVS Forum people. Wish I'd gotten it instead of the VD-Z3.

Edit: You could just get a 360 VGA cable, too, though, which should look better and have more resolution options than transcoding component.

Yeah I have a VGA cable for my 360, and have for a long time, just now I need a switch so I can select between these two VGA sources. I'm in the UK, but anyone can still recommend a good device if they would kindly, and I can find a place that ships or is based here that sells the item.

GhostSeed

I just got my cable today and so far it's great. I don't actually have any Wii games except for Wii sports but I took a quick shot of Super Mario 64.

Super Mario 64 (vc)

Not the most interesting shot I know but it really shows off how crisp the edges are.

kazuo

Lee N said:
$159.. that's alot.

That's a bargain for a decent upconverter... and those $40 made in China pieces of crap are not in any way decent.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3.htm
best bang for the buck, although if you intend to use the converter with a VGA monitor and/or older consoles, you're probably better off with the XRGB2+.

This puppy will work with anything you throw at it, although I wouldn't bother feeding it anything other than component/d-term/RGB.

Anyone with Component and VGA input compare the cables? I'm wondering if this would be a good investment for me, as my monitor has both component and vga input. Also, my monitor is 16x10, and it stretches the picture so that games are shown in 16X10 and not 16X9 (It's a Dell 2407). Anyone try VGA?

ZeroAX

Wont the wii-mote not work if you're sitting too close to your monitor? I was planning on using this with my widescreen lcd monitor, but I don't think the controler will respond if I sit at my desk.

Jirotrom

GhostSeed said:
Which game(s) in particular would you like to see?
I have access to bunch of GameCube games and a small selection of Wii stuff.
wii, zelda, prime anything really. I have the Vdigi z3 or w/e and mines starting to crap out, also it actually makes jaggies appear.

GhostSeed

Jirotrom said:
wii, zelda, prime anything really. I have the Vdigi z3 or w/e and mines starting to crap out, also it actually makes jaggies appear.

I'll see what I can dig up and I'll post some picts tomorrow.

Thanks dude, those are awesome pics! I'm more than likely going to purchase this, but I just found out that my PC monitor doesn't have an input for VGA. It uses a cable that is permanently attached to the back of the monitor. This means that I'll have to pick up a VGA switch box, which is at least another $50-$60 on top of the $50 I'll be paying for the VGA cable (I live in Canada, it will cost more).

$100+ to play the Wii on my monitor....I guess it's worth it considering it would cost $1000-$1500 to play my Wii on a HDTV.

ZeroAX

Vong_Assassin said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Wii_games
It looks like mostly just the shovelware games are 480i except for a few exceptions like Metal Slug and Trauma Center.

Thanks dude, those are awesome pics! I'm more than likely going to purchase this, but I just found out that my PC monitor doesn't have an input for VGA. It uses a cable that is permanently attached to the back of the monitor. This means that I'll have to pick up a VGA switch box, which is at least another $50-$60 on top of the $50 I'll be paying for the VGA cable (I live in Canada, it will cost more)
The Vdigi cable is female, so you'd actually plug the cable comming out of your monitor directly into that. You could get by without a switcher, you'd just have to unplug the cable from your PC and plug it into your Wii whenever you wanted to play a game.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Lee N said:
Ok, I've tried the VGA cable now.. another satisfied customer.
Where did you get it and what was the shipping? I could really use this as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

Top Bottom