• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sony no longer making formula one games

justjohn

looks like sony wont be making anymore formula one games. it was confirmed on a recent uk gamespot podcast.
i've to say i'm surprised by this decision. lewis hamilton is making the game very popular right now, and if they get his face on the cover as well as great next gen graphics exclusively on the ps3 it could be quite huge in europe, especially the uk.

pswii60

Have they dropped upper case letters, too?

As for the games, it's no real surprise after they dropped WRC. They've had more international success with Motorstorm already than they have had when Evolution were producing WRC games. I suppose it's time for Sony Liverpool to move on, too.

EA are most likely candidate for the license - they used to make F1 games themselves.

I imagine the license is very expensive, and since the game flopped in Japan and Europe it probably wasn't worth holding onto.

Nolan.

justjohn said:
looks like sony wont be making anymore formula one games. it was confirmed on a recent uk gamespot podcast.
i've to say i'm surprised by this decision. lewis hamilton is making the game very popular right now, and if they get his face on the cover as well as great next gen graphics exclusively on the ps3 it could be quite huge in europe, especially the uk.

So who's going to pick it up. Nooooooo.

justjohn

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I imagine the license is very expensive, and since the game flopped in Japan and Europe it probably wasn't worth holding onto.
the game's popularity has been renewed by lewis hamilton and he's huge right now, so sony could have at least taken a gamble

pswii60

maxmars said:
Does this mean we're going to see multiplatform f1 games, like with ea past efforts?

Depends who picks up the license?

MS could do with the boost in Europe - but they have no-one to develop it.

So, I reckon it'll go multiplatform.

EDIT: I suppose Bizarre Creations (as Solid2Snake said) could crank a decent F1 game out with the PGR engine. But I doubt this will happen.

Busty

Banned
Great. Now we can see what Sony Liverpool's F1 team can do with an original IP, in the racing genre or not.

Steroyd

Oh just when Lewis Hamilton made the sport uber popular in the UK.

It would be funny if Microsoft did pick this up, because i'm positive F1 games would do well in the UK, then again hasn't the problem been that it only does well in specific regions, and not everywhere?

Sega should go after it and give it to their racing studio.

solid2snake said:
why? the best was Formula 1 98 on PlayStation and this one was developed by Psynosis (R.I.P.)

Psygnosis is still around, they just go by Sony Liverpool.

I saw this one coming. A large publisher will pick it up and put on on 360, PS3 and PC.
I'd like to see Codemasters handle it, Sega and EA are potential bidders for sure.

Either way Studio Liverpool can concentrate on WipeOut now, I doubt anyone will do as good a job as they did. Codemasters really are the only team that could come close.
nofilter said:
The F1 game on PS3 is not 'really bad'.
Edge said so, in great technical detail as to why. I'd say it only got 4/10 because it was a UK game at launch.

Lince

Banned
NOOOO!!!!! I couldn't care less about craneboy Lewis FIAmilton but F1:CE is such an amazing game, best racer on PS3 IMO :'(

Mmmkay

justjohn said:
It has been rumoured for a long time that Sony were not going to renegotiate the contract, well before Lewis Hamilton started racing. Before F1 CE was even finished. Because we're hearing about it just now does not mean the decision was made recently.

justjohn

Mmmkay said:
It has been rumoured for a long time that Sony were not going to renegotiate the contract, well before Lewis Hamilton started racing. Before F1 CE was even finished.
well maybe they're regreting that decision now. like i said hamilton is huge right now and his image on the game could really make it sell well

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SolidSnakex said:
Psygnosis is still around, they just go by Sony Liverpool.

Exactly, they became SCE Studio Liverpool and simply continued making F1 games for Sony (with the PS3 game being their most recent one).

Visualante said:
Either way Studio Liverpool can concentrate on WipeOut now

Sure, or something entirely different later on. I don't care about F1 games so I'm very excited about Studio Liverpool not being tied up with the F1 franchise anymore. :)

ohh well, at least they went out with a bang with F1CEPS3.
I hope the next dev that gets the license is able to keep up the high standards which CE provided.
Now all SCEE need to do now is dump more money into the upcoming PS3 wipeout. Thanks.

GrayFoxPL

Wow. So they finally give in. Actually I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier!

Sony had F1 licence for more then 10 years now, right? Seriously it must cost some serious shit and it isn't worth it. Good move Sony, just bit late.

Cedeo

lewis_hamilton1.jpg

nofi

Visualante said:
Edge said so, in great technical detail as to why. I'd say it only got 4/10 because it was a UK game at launch.

Edge said so? Ahh, right. Yeah, it IS bad.

Seriously, it's a really great game for F1 games.

I really doubt a company like Criterion would get along with working witha license that has as many restrictions as F1 would have. Even Evo was upset with how many restrictions they had to deal with when making WRC games.

Give it to Bugbear!!!!11 I would love to see their take on F1 racing. We Finns take Formulas very seriously so I think it could be awesome! :D

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think Formula 1 is such a shitty license, it's basically a much slower wipeout with no weapons and the same tracks every time...and if your technically accurate enough you'll achieve maybe 1 successful overtaking maneauver per race.

It would be like licensing the WNBA, then making WNBA 2k8 with exactly the same feature set and NBA 2k8 but no dunking.

amar212

Kazunori Yamauchy of Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo game series) recently said in Famitsu interview that he'd like to make F1 game. Still, PD is a SCE's subsidiary.

Very intresting to see who'll please Berie's wallet with this. Of course, I can bet all my money that Microsoft will grab this licence from FIA in the very first minute if it becomes available without asking for the price.

However, it remains to be seen what will eventualy comes out from this one. Maybe only SCEE (and its subsidiary Studio Liverpool) wil no longer make this game, and pass the licence to SCEI - which could easily mean that PD will get it's fingers onto F1 game - which would then be a greatest F1 game ever made - but this is just wishfull thingking.

What's Geoff Crammond up to these days? He available to make a new F1 game that people on all platforms can enjoy?

If EA make any move towards the F1 licence I will personally write an angry letter to the CEO of EA Games.

Ghost said:
I think Formula 1 is such a shitty license, it's basically a much slower wipeout with no weapons and the same tracks every time...and if your technically accurate enough you'll achieve maybe 1 successful overtaking maneauver per race..
Silence!! Some of my best gaming moments are from playing multiplayer Crammond's GP2. You get a tremendous feeling of satisfaction when you nail a perfect lap in a F1 game. On a good F1 game that is. Each to their own , I guess :)

Top Bottom