• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexh

Stinkles said:
If they were dependent only on time (which is a factor) the host would win every time.

Twit.

Also: STINKLES' GUIDE TO DECAMPING SNOWBOUND CAMPERS

1. Get the Sniper and the Brute Shot. Preferably with a teammate. Have one of your team worry the campers at the large ramp/shield door where the shotgun spawns with the Brute Shot.

2. Have the Sniper headshot the defending campers as they emerge to deal with the threat.

3. Profit.

Note: You can switch roles and have the Brute Shot worry them from the pipe opening.

Heres how it usually goes.

Me: They have a
Teammate 1 was killed by XShotXGunX69XCamperX
Me: shotgun in the
Teammate 2 was killed by XShotXGunX69XCamperX
Teammate 3 was killed by XShotXGunX69XCamperX
Me: bottom..
Me: Ok don't go down there.
Teammate 1 Quit.
Teammate 2 Quit.
Teammate 3 Quit.
Me: God damnit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
t4ng0 said:
how do you get in the sniper base(easily) when they are camping it? - crouch walking is unlikely if they're even semi-covering the bottom passage

you take the two sticky grenades up top and either

1) Suicide run, go in and stick therefore whittling down any type of defense they can mount

2) go on one side (preferrably the back) and have your team mate come from the other side crouch walking just create a good diversion

you have to be quick though because both of them won't always be looking in your direction

Blueblur1

Stinkles said:
Camp the sniper respawn and melee the guy coming for the replacement. Two birds with one stone.
I meant that what if they're camping the respawn. Often in doubles a team will camp inside that base with the sniper watching the large door entrance and the other watching the other three doors with the Shotgun.

When playing for score is it possible to save and quit and resume later? Whenever I do this it no longer shows the score.

Stupid Halo 3. I've completed it on legendary and still can't stop playing it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DopeyFish said:
you take the two sticky grenades up top and either

1) Suicide run, go in and stick therefore whittling down any type of defense they can mount

2) go on one side (preferrably the back) and have your team mate come from the other side crouch walking just create a good diversion

you have to be quick though because both of them won't always be looking in your direction

IAWTP

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Blueblur1 said:
I meant that what if they're camping the respawn. Often in doubles a team will camp inside that base with the sniper watching the large door entrance and the other watching the other three doors with the Shotgun.

Yup. Or even a carbine/plasma combo is very difficult to overcome if they are coordinated and are set up properly inside. Typically, the long range weapon holder will get up on the interior geometry and you have no way of knowing where his fire/grenades will come from as you try to sneak in. And since they can literally sit and watch your approach (ceiling is transparent, each hall is a lengthy walk in the open to a shield door as are the main openings). If you are on the outside, you are at a near insurmountable disadvantage, especially if they get in there with the lead and you have to go in after them.

That said, I've only encountered duos using this strategy effectively while playing with my brother, who is a 48, and never at the lower levels. But still, it's nasty. I really wish there was a way to temporarily disengage the shield doors.

alisdair

Blueblur1 said:
I meant that what if they're camping the respawn.
Get a mauler, wait for camo respawn, crouchwalk in through a small door as your teammate is creating a diversion at the big door. You'll probably be able to take the shotgun guy out and might be able to weaken the sniper.

But if you've got 2 minutes to go and you're down by one kill, you're screwed. Snowbound is pretty terrible for doubles past level 40.

The stickies approach is a nice idea, but it doesn't always work if you're playing significantly off-host. I've seen grenades fly right through people's chests.

Sai-kun

Banned
I has a bug to report.

Me and two pals are currently fucking around outside the final tower in The Covenant and playing Cat and Mouse because the elevator left without us, and won't come back down.

WTF D:

Falagard

Stinkles said:
If they were dependent only on time (which is a factor) the host would win every time.

Twit.

Not really. You have timestamped messages and a 100ms delayed resolution. Timestamps are synchronized (a common networking technique so you can tell exactly when a message was sent - all clients synchronize timestamps to the host).

Host resolves the melee. One person melees, sends timestamped message to host. Host waits 100ms to see if anyone else has meleed. If so, check timestamp of second melee to see which melee came first.

Twit

alisdair

Falagard said:
You have timestamped messages and a 100ms delayed resolution. Timestamps are synchronized (a common networking technique so you can tell exactly when a message was sent - all clients synchronize timestamps to the host).
That requires trusted clients, which is just one of its problems. It also assumes constant latency between clients and the host, which is not the case.

Armchair developers, please stop trying to condescendingly tell Bungie how to redesign their game. The melee system is not going to be radically changed. It works fine. Learn to play with it, or at the very least, stop whining.

I only like snowbound in FFA games or the odd 4on4 team game, it was a fave map in the beta untill more and more people set up for the night behind the shield doors.

Good thing about FFA is theres always someone outside to fight dispite campers below, but 2 on 2's are well annoying on that map.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
You know a tactic that can actually work. It does require making a sacrifice, but you can scream FREEDOM, your whole way in. Crouch walk through one of the small doors with a teammate. When you just pass the barrier, stick the guy in front with a grenade. Run right in the middle of all 3 of them. The guy with the shotgun will approach for the kill. The sticky goes boom killing him and injuring the other two badly, you clean up. The guy in the back does cleanup. THE HOUSE IS YOURS!

Falagard

alisdair said:
That requires trusted clients, which is just one of its problems. It also assumes constant latency between clients and the host, which is not the case.

Armchair developers, please stop trying to condescendingly tell Bungie how to redesign their game. The melee system is not going to be radically changed. It works fine. Learn to play with it, or at the very least, stop whining.

I'm not an armchair developer. I'm a real developer, but thanks :)

360s are trusted clients. I understand there's a lot of complexity in Halo 3, and I have no problem with Halo 3's netcode nor melee, but it's not an unsolvable problem.

Sai-kun

Banned
I...I think we broke The Covenant. we're walking inside the area where you fight the scarab, but:

1) The Shield is still up
2) There's no enemies
3) We spawned from before running into The Flood
3a) We were walking up around the top part of the tower, outside normal boundries
4) When we spawned, we were right next to the tower
5) We die whenever we go outside of a certain distance past the cliff
6) This is awesome.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dirtbag 504 said:
I imagine its from the server reset.
In the past with updates, its really laggy for about 2-3 days after patching.

Yup. Confirmed earlier by Frank. Hosting records got wiped.

LukeSmith

Falagard said:
I'm not an armchair developer. I'm a real developer, but thanks :)

360s are trusted clients. I understand there's a lot of complexity in Halo 3, and I have no problem with Halo 3's netcode nor melee, but it's not an unsolvable problem.

We are all Icelanders.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
Are you kidding me Ram? I turned 21 yesterday as well. Happy birthday brotha!

I happened to see that on Myspace, I was going to tell you how weird it was but never saw you on. :p Happy belated b-day.

TDG

Banned
I got a kill frenzy! On The Pit, no less, a map that I don't consider to be one of my strong maps.

After a night of rusty awfulness, I went insane this game. Sticking people from halfway across the map, constantly controlling the rockets, three no-scopes (and many more headshots, I'm not even good at no-scopes). It was insane. It was FFA, and I beat the second place person by 13. When you're on a roll in Halo 3, it feels so good. And, the melee is fine, and I've been lucky enough to not run into any lag. The film of the game is in my file share (#2) if you wanna see a blind squirrel find a nut.

99.99% of the time I play on Epitaph, it's Swords. That's good, because I enjoy a swords game from time to time, since it takes a bit more skill than H2's sword matches, and it's a nice change of pace.
Cool: toss a power drainer on the grav. lift, then spam some grenades down there (since everyone mainly is in the area where it lands) to get lots of non-sword kills.
So unfair it's almost cheating: Invisibility in Swords matches. Please remove.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ramirez said:
So will the armor just be an option where the regular ones are, or...? :p

You have to give Stinkles your gamertag.

Frankie, it's Urk the Red. Hook him up. He's being patient.

Also, the moon patrol warthog is going to be so awesome.

Stinkles

Ramirez said:
So will the armor just be an option where the regular ones are, or...? :p

Yes. It should just show up in your armor perms. Give it a day or so.

Another poster gave me your gamertag, "Urk the Red."

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Aren't we supposed to get screens of the next Halo 3 maps this week from GDC?
Rumour is that it's happening tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Getting on to play shortly. I'm excited about the melee and I'm doubly excited about seeing how many times I get a "simul-death."

Stinkles

Cocopjojo said:
Getting on to play shortly. I'm excited about the melee and I'm doubly excited about seeing how many times I get a "simul-death."

ah'm getting on too. Ahma mess yew up

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
godhandiscen said:
It makes me bitter that the best Bungie effort I have seen in my lifetime is the one that has won the least amount of awards.

Yeah, Myth II was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom