• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIBERIUM Officially Announced (PC/PS3/360). FIRST SCREEN INSIDE.

Borys

Banned
Squad-based FPS. Multiplatform (fat chance Wii owners).

Tiberium is a mysterious extraterrestrial crystal that shatters the energy output of traditional fossil fuels. It has the power to save our civilization. It also has the power to destroy it. Over two-and-a-half years in development, Electronic Arts Inc. today revealed Tiberium, a new intellectual property that brings a rich, original fiction to life through intense tactical action and visceral first-person shooting. Set in a stunning sci-fi world with spectacular visual effects and dramatic environments, Tiberium takes players on an adventure through an environmentally-devastated world and places them in the heart of an epic battle for control this powerful energy source.

For eleven years, an alien tower has stood dormant, looming like an unholy mountain over a wasteland once known as the Mediterranean Sea. The tower was thought to be a relic of the Third Tiberium War; a devastating war fought for control over Tiberium crystal. It is not a relic. It is not dormant. Deep within the tower, plans are in motion for an alien invasion. This is where the Tiberium adventure begins. Players step into the shoes of Forward Battle Commander Ricardo Vega and will assemble an assortment of elite squads to combat the global crisis. Armed with an intense arsenal of weapons including a transforming personal weapon system, multi-launch homing missiles, capital ship bombardments and tactical ion cannon strikes, Vega will lead the fight from the front lines.

Featuring a unique blend of first-person shooting and tactical squad combat, every moment in Tiberium is intense, every mission leaves players breathless. To take the first-person shooter experience deeper into strategic combat, players will control multiple infantry, armor, and air squads as the fight escalates. In Tiberium, Vega is the most powerful presence on the battlefield, and the squads are his most decisive weapon. Players can take multi-squad control combat into single-player or bring the action into online multiplayer battles.

“Tiberium is our ‘One Ring’, our ‘Force’. It is the connective tissue that defines this universe and tears it apart,” said Chris Plummer, Executive Producer at EA Los Angeles. “After two years of pre-production, it is exciting to finally reveal this game and its rich fiction to the world. We’ve put a lot of effort into evolving the tactical shooter experience by taking core gameplay compulsions like commanding, choice and dominating your enemies and delivering them in first-person. Some of the weapons and mechanics are truly innovative for a first-person game. We’re very proud to be part of a project that has the potential to really make a mark on the cannon of sci-fi fantasy fiction.”

Mike Verdu, VP and General Manager at EA Los Angeles added, “EALA has a long history of developing groundbreaking real-time strategy games with the Command & Conquer series. That series also originally introduced the Tiberium universe to gamers worldwide. Now, we are growing Tiberium from a simple backdrop to a fully realized universe with its own unique, hybrid squad-based shooter gameplay. This is the birth of a new franchise -- we couldn’t be more excited.”

Developed at EA Los Angeles, Tiberium will be available worldwide in Fall 2008 for the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, and PC. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB. For more information on Tiberium, please visit: www.Tiberium.com.

8f29jib.jpg

Looks like BF2142.

Cronox

Banned
Honestly, I think the Red Alert franchise would make a more interesting squad shooter. I hope this one incorporates some of the RTS game mechanics like C&C Renegade did (mainly in multiplayer).

I want details on objectives, map control, and progress stats (meaning: do resources play a RTS esque role).

Other than that... well, EA sure does't waste time on use "franchise" to build hype. Easy enough to take back if it doesn't do well, after all.

Roat

Banned
Borys said:
Looks like BF2142.

That somewhat spoils my hopes for it since it is EA we're talking about here.

Who knows, they did a good job on C&C3. Taking a different approach from Renegade is okay, but hopefully it actually ties in with the C&C universe well instead of that being a pretext to a futuristic shooter setting.

Cronox said:
Honestly, I think the Red Alert franchise would make a more interesting squad shooter.

Da, comrade. Much more interesting than futuristic burnt out buildings and that

Borys

Banned
Roat said:
I'm just hoping it's not the BF2142 engine. Seriously.

Well C&C: Renegade wasn't a looker yet I hear it was damn awesome so we will see about Tiberium.

Son of Godzilla said:
That pic looks bad by anyone's standards you butt.

Not by everyone's if you know what I miin.

Roat

Banned
Borys said:
Well C&C: Renegade wasn't a looker yet I hear it was damn awesome so we will see about Tiberium.

I don't mind about the graphics as long as it isn't full of bugs and doesn't have to spend longer loading the menu than the level. That could be a DICE tradition though.

I wonder if they'll get the live action cutscenes happening again

Borys said:
So they send out an official PR that has official www address inside (www.tiberium.com) while that site is still dead.

Classy EA.

Doesn't bode well for the game.
Nothing bodes well for this game! The last time CNC tried to expand into FPSdom, it was a disaster; single-player was rote, action-hero bullshit that seemed lame as all fuck even when I was thirteen (read: stupid), and multiplayer that was barely functional. And now they're trying it again by making a game for the consolites, whose only exposure to the series is shoddy ports of CNC and Red Alert for Saturn and Playstation respectively, and CNC3 on 360? Who is this game being made for? Console players don't give a shit, and PC gamers just want Red Alert 3!

Slavik81

I AM JOHN! said:
Nothing bodes well for this game! The last time CNC tried to expand into FPSdom, it was a disaster; single-player was rote, action-hero bullshit that seemed lame as all fuck even when I was thirteen (read: stupid), and multiplayer that was barely functional. And now they're trying it again by making a game for the consolites, whose only exposure to the series is shoddy ports of CNC and Red Alert for Saturn and Playstation respectively, and CNC3 on 360? Who is this game being made for? Console players don't give a shit, and PC gamers just want Red Alert 3!
I don't think we played the same game.
That said, I'm with you on the 'they're making a game for console players from a series that only PC players care about'.

Slavik81 said:
I don't think we played the same game.
Multiplayer was barely functional when I played it. Then again, this was however many years ago (six? five?), and I only played multiplayer on my friend's shitty Windows ME-running crap Dell that he got for his Bar-Mitzvah. I could be wrong, but needless to say, I have no good memories of this game.

Glad we're on the same page about the console thing, though. :)

Slavik81

Is anyone else confused as to how this has already had 2.5 years of development? And what exactly about it makes it 'a unique blend of first-person shooting and tactical squad combat,'?
Featuring a unique blend of first-person shooting and tactical squad combat, every moment in Tiberium is intense, every mission leaves players breathless. To take the first-person shooter experience deeper into strategic combat, players will control multiple infantry, armor, and air squads as the fight escalates. In Tiberium, Vega is the most powerful presence on the battlefield, and the squads are his most decisive weapon. Players can take multi-squad control combat into single-player or bring the action into online multiplayer battles.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HinjS3RPGIU?

Borys

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Is anyone else confused as to how this has already had 2.5 years of development?

2.5 years of dev means this is:

a) running on an old engine (BF2142?)
b) pretty much done
c) should be out soon

Slavik81

Borys said:
2.5 years of dev means this is:

a) running on an old engine (BF2142?)
b) pretty much done
c) should be out soon
Did you hear that? It was the sound of a million C&C fans crying out in anguish.

glaurung

Judging by that single bullshot, it seems that the game doesn't even take the C&C chorus too seriously.

Looks pretty bollocks, although I'd say I am mildly interested in the premise unless it turns out to be another blacksite-soldieroffortune-timeshift-generic shooter.

Jenga

Banned
Really now, I'm not sure how well CnC3 did on 360, but even if it was a huge hit I strongly doubt this would sell to console gamers. Please let the PC be the lead platform D:

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
You guys are way too fucking obsessed with graphics. Why does everything have to look like Crysis to be relevant?

Apo

KyanMehwulfe said:
I want details on objectives, map control, and progress stats (meaning: do resources play a RTS esque role).

I doubt you will see anything of this. As a multiplatform title this will only be a linear FPS like so many before. From the beginning I'm a big CnC fan and I'm hoping to see more than a typical mainstream FPS but I can't imagine that EA will dare any experiments.

From where do you know that it's using the BF2142 engine? I think it would be disadvantageous not to use a multiplatform engine like UE3.

FFChris

sykoex said:
You guys are way too fucking obsessed with graphics. Why does everything have to look like Crysis to be relevant?

It isn't the graphics that bother me to be honest, I think they look alright. It's just the art style...yuck.

Jenga said:
Really now, I'm not sure how well CnC3 did on 360, but even if it was a huge hit I strongly doubt this would sell to console gamers. Please let the PC be the lead platform D:

Because PC is clearly leading the way in FPS sales these days?

The C&C 3 expansion is still coming out next year (for PC/360), this isn't killing the franchise, despite how mediocre it may look/sound now (and honestly, it doesn't look that bad).

Sounds like they mixed Republic Commando with Renegade-and that sounds GREAT given how much I liked both of those games.

Red Alert doesn't have the long plot continuity now that the mainline C&C story has, which makes it a bit easier to "fill in" gaps in that storyline with new games. I'm sure that they have room for a 1980s-era Red Alert RTS game at some point down the road (note that RA2 had a distinctly 1960's feel to it).

The last time CNC tried to expand into FPSdom, it was a disaster; single-player was rote, action-hero bullshit that seemed lame as all fuck even when I was thirteen (read: stupid), and multiplayer that was barely functional.

It got mostly solid reviews, though. Had it come out on time or had the multiplayer caught on (the MP was suprisingly good), it would have been more highly regarded.

Top Bottom