• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

With today's PS3 firmware 2.10 update and PSP firmware 3.80 update, Sony has secretly updated the Remote Play functionality to allow playing of all PSone downloadable games AS WELL AS PS1 ORIGINAL DISCS! Straight to the source on the Playstation Forums. This is really interesting tech news!

Sources: http://digg.com/playstation/BREAKING_All_PS1_Games_discs_included_Now_Playable_on_PSP & http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...?board.id=psnetwork&message.id=166903#M166903

wow thats cool! Can someone try this to confirm it?

j-wood

It works. I just played my downloaded version of SotN through remote play. I've heard other people that are using disks and it works, so it's definitely true.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
oh man... Now I need to pay someone to stay at my house while I'm gone and change discs for FF7...

Works great. I've tried it out with MGS and FFVII. Just go into remote play with the Ps1 disc in the PS3 and you can start it on the PSP.

The game play at their native resolution and there seems to be some noticeable (but not major) input lag for me but it's an excellent feature.

oneHeero

I dont own a psp but let me get this straight;

I can put FF7 in my Ps3 and play it from my PSP in my bedroom? While my gf watches Tila Tequila on the same TV as the Ps3 runs in the background?
amirite?

PSP +1 in sales if so.

Kyoufu

oneHeero said:

I can put FF7 in my Ps3 and play it from my PSP in my bedroom? While my gf watches Tila Tequila on the same TV as the Ps3 runs in the background?
amirite?

PSP +1 in sales if so.

Yes.

oneHeero said:

amirite?

PSP +1 in sales if so.

yup :)

bounchfx

oh. damn. I thought you could download it to a mem stick or something and play it ANYWHERE. not just in your house :\

don't get me wrong.. it's still freaking bad ass because I'm on the verge of actually wanting a ps3 and psp again, and I really want to finish all these ps1 games of mine.

Exactly how far can Remote play reach?

Kyoufu

bounchfx said:
oh. damn. I thought you could download it to a mem stick or something and play it ANYWHERE. not just in your house :\

don't get me wrong.. it's still freaking bad ass because I'm on the verge of actually wanting a ps3 and psp again, and I really want to finish all these ps1 games of mine.

Anywhere in the world. You just need internet access for your PSP.

bounchfx said:

Anywhere that you can connect your PSP to wifi.

bounchfx said:

anywhere with wifi internet.

though obviously your input lag will be greater going through the internet than just going locally.

What's the advantage of playing them on your PSP rather than your PS3 other than if you want to play in a different room/your TV's being taken over/your TV has too much glare? Or did I just list them?

bounchfx

oh hell yeah, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. that's freaking awesome.

ARgh.. brain.. exploding.. I need to save for a new PC but the freaking ps3 is calling my name now. psp too, oh well

Kyoufu

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's effing amazing. This is some Biff's Sports Almanac level shit.

"Behold, my creation"

ken_kutaragi-x.jpg

Oh my god that's cool. Please extend this to PS2 games, no reason it shouldn't be possible (except for lack of shoulder buttons).

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
nelsonroyale said:
what is the maximum distance I can be away from the console?

It has really nothing to do with distance to the console... it's if you have acess to a wifi spot. So you can be anywhere, as long as you have internet access.

oneHeero

doogles said:
What's the advantage of playing them on your PSP rather than your PS3 other than if you want to play in a different room/your TV's being taken over/your TV has too much glare? Or did I just list them?
You listed them, if you have a wife or gf you'll love Sony for this.
Thanks for the answers everyone else, I am buying a PSP now.

doogles said:

You can use remote play anywhere in the world as long as your PSP can connect to wifi.

ckeur

Remote play is WiFi based. Meaning if your PS3 is hooked up to the internet and so is your PSP, regardless of where they are hooked up in the world, they can talk to each other. In this case, you can play your PSone disks from anywhere in the world that you have internet access.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
OMFG!!! I thought you could do this already, but I tried Crash 1 (downloaded) and it wouldn't let me play. Now if I'm getting this right, not only can I play Crash 1 that I downloaded, but all of my PSX games as well? HOLY FUCKING CRAP!

Dot50Cal

Banned
TheJesusFactor said:
So the PS3 is basically emulating all my PS1 disc games? Will the 40GB work on this since it doesn't support backward compatibility?

40GB plays PS1 games fine IIRC. Its only PS2 support that was dropped.

doogles said:
I assume the PS3 has to be on, which would defeat the purpose of doing it on vacation then.

You can turn your PS3 on and off remotely using the PSP now.

SRG01

TheJesusFactor said:
So the PS3 is basically emulating all my PS1 disc games? Will the 40GB work on this since it doesn't support backward compatibility?

All PS3s can do backwards compatibility of PS1 games.

doogles said:
I assume the PS3 has to be on, which would defeat the purpose of doing it on vacation then.

It has to be in standby but not fully on. You can also turn it on and off from standby using the PSP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So all we need now it to be able to rip PS1 CD games straight to the PSP and we are basically done with it.

Top Bottom