• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

Roxas

Civil said:
Wow, this is amazing. I'm really temped to get a PS3 just for this.

What do you do for games that require the back shoulder buttons or the right analog stick, though? Seems like that would be quite a problem.

Use the directional buttons or the nub.

shinsnake

Banned
Riskbreaker23 said:
remote play is the one innovation that nintendo will probably copy from sony.

sony needs to push remote play a lot harder than they are. although this gives some psp owner more reasons not to buy software :lol

They freakin' need to. I mean, if I could play my VC games on my DS, either through download or remote play, I would be shopping with my wife all the time.

Kyoufu

So the PSP firmware that just got released has increased support for remote play on PSN titles.

Let the testing begin!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can someone explain to me how this works?
I'm new to PSP and I don't have a PS3, but this sounds cool.

You can play any PS1 disc game thats in your PS3 from anywhere your at a hotspot ,or only in range of the system?
And its the full game, etc?

Dama

Banned
lol it works

CIMG1868.jpg

I'll try a few more games in a sec

Aurelius said:
How onlogical can Sony make this.

- The PS3 is backward compatible for PS1 games, but not for PS2.
- You can't upload PS1 games to your PSP, but you can play them using your PS3 as a platform for your PSP.

I'm confused.

its logical if you take piracy into consideration. to actually take advantage of this feature, you have to physically own the game.

this time next year ps2 software emulation will probably be ready. it took MS two years to get it on the 360.

I didn't see this answered, but is the PSP being used as an emulator for the PlayStation hardware with the PS3 used as a network-based CD drive that fetches data whenever the PSX game being run requests it, or is this just remote play with the PSP being used as a monitor? If it's the former, there shouldn't be any gameplay lag at all.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm sure if I owned a PS3 and a PSP I would be ecstatic with the news...

As I don't, I'll just tip my hat to Sony and say "Well played Sirs."

kaching said:
Attack of the PSP pre-launch memes!!!
Damage control much? 90 minutes is fine for playing a couple of quick online games but most people like to play RPGs and such for longer periods, it seems like a legitimate concern to me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Civil said:
My PSP only has a left nub. What about the right? Can you toggle operation to it?

When you press and hold select, the left nub simulates the right nub, and the L1/R1 for L2/R2. It works fairly well.

itxaka

Defeatist
wait, then....ummm didn´t the psp already played ps1 games???
If not, i been mistaked all this time as I thougt it did. Anyway, even if it did, you couldn´t rip your own cd games to the MS (except with the CF) so it´s a nice feature.

BTW how the remote turn on works? is wake on wan? the ps3 should be sending it´s ip address somewhere rigth? I really have no idea how it does it without sending anything, and with the ps3 off. It makes no logic for me.

Sorry for the offtopic

Madman

nincompoop said:
Damage control much? 90 minutes is fine for playing a couple of quick online games but most people like to play RPGs and such for longer periods, it seems like a legitimate concern to me.
:lol 90 minutes. Where did you get that from?

too much lag for it to be of any good use. IMO.
Played W'o2097 and it took at least half a second to respond to my commands, I couldn't even reach the first bloody check point. Looks nice though, better than playing it natively on the big screen.
What a game. Hasn't aged at all. 10 out of 10.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
nincompoop said:
Except the point of my comment was that it lasts longer that with Wifi on, plus there is the longer-life battery for the PSP now. Nobody has tried to claim the PSP would last only 90 minutes with wifi on since the launch period.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
kaching said:
Except the point of my comment was that it lasts longer that with Wifi on, plus there is the longer-life battery for the PSP now. Nobody has tried to claim the PSP would last only 90 minutes with wifi on since the launch period.

The old battery would actually last 2.5 hours, so even his outdated source is incredibly wrong. :lol

klee123

Excellent feature, I doubt it'll be good for fighting games and etc, but it would be wonderful for rpgs where quick inputs aren't needed.

tanod

when is my burrito
Sony has some great commercials. They have the games ones. They have the movies ones.

Now, they just need the everything else commercial:
Show off the PSN games and store.
Show the PSP connectivity.
Show the 6-way video chat and picture sharing.

PSNywhere

Dead Man

This is so close to being a system selling feature for me... and yet it's not. The crappy state of WiFi in Australia is most of the problem, you just can't do it very many places.

Full SW BC for PS2 games would kick me over the edge if they could be played on there. That would be it. The deal, many dollars would be leaving my mortgage account to be spent on technological frivolities. :)

Just finished playing a round of Allied Commander via PSP/PS3 Remote Play, while I was downstairs at the gym working out. Worked perfectly.

I can also confirm Warcraft II works as well.
:D

CurlySaysX said:
too much lag for it to be of any good use. IMO.
Played W'o2097 and it took at least half a second to respond to my commands, I couldn't even reach the first bloody check point. Looks nice though, better than playing it natively on the big screen.
What a game. Hasn't aged at all. 10 out of 10.

Go to Remote Play Settings and set it up for less graphics and better response times. It'll probably work. I leave mine set up for better video most of the time, when I'm just watching video streams, but turning the video down and the response time up works good for playing PS1 games with very little lag. You don't miss the graphic quality on PS1 games.

Mudhoney

This is really cool. A PS3 purchase may be imminent for me. I wonder if Sony would be this aggressive with new features if they were still dominating the industry?

Hmm....after playing both Wipeout and Castlevania through remote play, it appears that slow paced games or rpgs are the best fit for this feature. Anything that requires precise timing will not be that great because there is lag that creeps in. What experience are you guys having?

painey

this is fucking crazy! no more need for the annoying as shit ripping of isos and converting them and all that bollocks.. hell you dont even need custom firmware any more?!oh baby

Steroyd

Games like Crash Bandicoot are horrible because of the lag, but I don't care I get to play all my old FF's on the go. :D

dionysus

Yaldog
Steroyd said:
My god, I may actually finish Bof 3 now.

Holy crap and FF 1 - 6.

Yep, I have always wanted to play all the great ps1 rpgs I missed, but playing them on my HD TV just annoyed me. Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve here I come.

This is great.

I've been banging the "Remote Play is a killer app!" drum for months on NeoGAF. Hopefully this, as well as the features added in the last update, will encourage more people to actually try it.

Top Bottom