• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn that is a very cool freaking feature that they added I would like to know why didn't they make a big deal about this stuff hell a lot of people would buy this setup for that if they have a shit load of ps1 games I would but I no have wifi so yeah.

borghe said:
The region coding/copy protection is a software level feature of the PSX system.

Which makes this a rather pointless feature. If Sony wants me to run out and buy a PSP, drop BC region-checking on the PS3.

it's fantastic tech. but you guys are all going bonkers cause you can put an old, crusty ps1 game in your ps3, and play it over a wifi hotspot? i mean...it's kinda funny style, imo

Crisis

Banned
Since more people are in here rather than the firmware topic now does anyone know if the PSN messages pop up when you play a game over disc on PS3 now? How about PS2 games over PS3?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I can play Chrono Cross while I'm on the toilet?

*wipes tear from eyes*

Thank you, Sony!

careksims

Holy Crap! This is freakin' awesome! Playing FF7 at the moment and wow. This is very awesome. I knew buying one of those new PSPs was a good choice. Now I can finally play Xenogears anywhere :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
When Kaz focussed on Remote Play at TGS, I was kinda a bit.."hmmm"...it's so nice to see them expand that functionality like this, and so soon!

Kazenone

So I can put a PS1 game in my 40GB PAL, make sure it's connected to the internet - then go AWOL, get my PSP online and connect to my PS3; play said PS1 game?

omg all over my face.

dalin80

Banned
so what about multi-disc games? wing commander on a psp would be the definition of awesome, that and gran turismo 2.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They should reserve however much Remote Play needs from PSN games, so all PSN games can similarly be played like this.

I'd say PS2 won't be far off, but its less relevant while we don't have downloads (and with BC being less important..).

If any when Sony can roll remote play into the core OS, it will be a great day indeed :)

sw26

Kweh said:
Aww crap. That's what I was looking forward to playing most!

I might just have a faulty disc or something, but I don't remember it ever working on my PS3 and it definitely does on my PS2.

Civil

So does messing with the response rate setting make twitch games playable? I'd really want to get back into Um Jammer Lammy and Parappa.

Firewire

Banned
Seriously I take my PSP everywhere now. And being able to transfer your game saves from PS3 to PSP & back is just awesome.

tanod

when is my burrito
Civil said:
So does messing with the response rate setting make twitch games playable? I'd really want to get back into Um Jammer Lammy and Parappa.

I really doubt it would work for games like that. Fighting games might have some problems but I would think everything else should work fine.

burnfout

So I just hacked my PSP's Flash0, was quite easily actually!

FFVII works while in my PAL 60 gig PS3, with my M33 PSP, good stuff!!

Kweh

What communication settings do people use for Remote Play on the PSP? I'm playing FF8 :)D ) and my sound skips every so often

FabCam

Ninja Kn1ght said:

Bloody hell, that's awesome. I'm cooped in a hotel in LA on Xmas day (unless we go to Disney land) so now I can play FFVII while I'm there. These stealth additions are awesome...

knee

Good thing I got my PSP back when those 5-offer "free PSP" sites were actually legit. :lol

I'm looking forward to using this new feature :D

knee

FabCam said:
Bloody hell, that's awesome. I'm cooped in a hotel in LA on Xmas day (unless we go to Disney land) so now I can play a disc of FFVII while I'm there. These stealth additions are awesome...

Fixed. :D

Xisiqomelir said:
Let me see if I can build a business case for the PSP in my house:

-Valkyrie Profile
-Crush
-Puzzle Quest
-Portable Ops
-Princess Crown
-Jeanne D'arc
-Remote Play
-Internet Radio

Looking awfully tempting...
- Ratchet and Clank
- downloadable Castlevania:SOTN even without remote play

I love mine.

If only ps2 and it's BC were still strong, would make me go for a psp instead of rebuying a ps2.

Awesome none the less, R4 and omega boost bliss!

NolbertoS

Got a question. I'm not sure it was answered but do you have to have the PS3 on to play the PSP PS1 games?? I'd like to be able to carry the game around and not rely on having the PS3 on with the game disc inside to play the PS1 games. If not, well it's a start on Sony's part in allowing us users to play PS1 games on the PSP, w/out custom firmware on the PSP.

Gattsu25

Banned
NolbertoS said:
Got a question. I'm not sure it was answered but do you have to have the PS3 on to play the PSP PS1 games?? I'd like to be able to carry the game around and not rely on having the PS3 on with the game disc inside to play the PS1 games. If not, well it's a start on Sony's part in allowing us users to play PS1 games on the PSP, w/out custom firmware on the PSP.
Start thinking about custom firmware.

NolbertoS said:

Without a PS3 or Custom Firmware you're limited to the PS1 games available on the Playstation Store which in the US and Europe is a pretty meagre selection although there is some good stuff.

Steroyd

You can switch the PS3 on/off with remote play.

If you've dl'd the PS1 game you can put it on the PSP mem stick and play it like that, PS1 games you have the disc for will have to be in the PS3 to play them remotely.

Dante

Barry Lightning said:
it's fantastic tech. but you guys are all going bonkers cause you can put an old, crusty ps1 game in your ps3, and play it over a wifi hotspot? i mean...it's kinda funny style, imo

Considering a bunch of us have a ton of PSOne Rpg's and the PSP doesn't.....This is a pretty goddamn awesome feature. Now get on PSN and full PS3 remote play :D Would love some portable Everyday Shooter.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Dante said:
Considering a bunch of us have a ton of PSOne Rpg's and the PSP doesn't.....This is a pretty goddamn awesome feature. Now get on PSN and full PS3 remote play :D Would love some portable Everyday Shooter.

You must have the special "dual analog" psp?:D

dabig2

What an awesome upgrade. I might have to buy me one of those PSPs very soon. It's such an amazing feature IMO. Makes me want to go dig up some of my old PSX titles and replay all of them.

Unison

Isn't lag an issue if you're playing a PS1 game remotely, if all the rendering is being done on the PS3 & the PSP is just serving as a monitor / controller?

Top Bottom