• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Share Play thread | Share playable PS4 game streams to your friends

Krakn3Dfx

Hosted a bunch of Diablo 3 with a few friends tonight, holy shit, this is amazing. They said occasionally the graphics would flake out for a second, but otherwise, pretty much a flawless gaming session. Also tried out a bit of Driveclub on a friend's PS4, seems like a solid racer, it's unfortunate that they can't get the online in order.

Shareplay is pretty amazing all in all, definitely eclipses almost every feature I've seen on a current gen console to date.

Kayant

Posted?

In our test, I turned on Share Play, and virtually passed the controller to him while he ran around for 10 minutes trying to find enemies (they magically disappeared for some reason). After quitting Share Play, a shortcut for Lords of the Fallen was created on his homepage, though it lead straight to the store page for the game, you know, in case he wanted to buy it.

However, after a few hours passed, Joe stated that his PlayStation 4 was in the process of downloading the day one update for Lords of the Fallen, which just happens to be nearly 5GB big. But why? He doesn't own the game. Even when he played it for those 10 minutes, he was essentially streaming it from my console, under my PSN ID. And yet for some reason the download auto-initiated as though he owned the game.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/ps4-sh...-downloading-a-patch-for-a-game-you-don-t-own

Seems quite odd it would do that. Impressions sound great so far cannot wait to try it out
in 2015.

Want to try playing from a longer distance? I live in San Diego, CA
My connection:
3867254020.png

No Idea how shareplay even works lol.

Man, I pay like a hundred dollars for a fifth of that speed (half of the up).

Strider

I've been testing this off and on today with Destiny and Towerfall and this is an amazing feature. Honestly the most "next gen" thing yet IMO. Hoping I can try out some Diablo 3 soon with another friend.

I'm really excited to try this out. If anyone wants to play the following games let me know via PM:

Last of Us Remastered
Destiny
Killzone
Infamous
Infamous First Light
Need for Speed
Battlefield 4
Towerfall
Contrast
Outlast
Spelunky
Dont Starve
FEZ
Injustice
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Resogun

a few more games that I can't remember lol

Games I'd like to try:

Lords of the Fallen
Evil Within
Driveclub

Deimo5

Is there any confirmed reason why some games are blocked for some people but not others?
I was blocked when my friend tried to host Shadow Of Mordor but I have read that it worked for others.
Drive Club, InFamous: Second Son, Destiny and Warframe all worked.

IconGrist

Only game I tried that didn't work was Pix the Cat. Gave me a region message.

Sucks I can't figure out why I can't share. I'll probably hit a couple of you up tomorrow. Might have been an issue with just that particular friend.

Tried hard to get SharePlay to work last night only to remember now thay the share setting was set to Hugh quality. Me and my friend are located in different countries and we both have copper technology still and upload on copper is pretty bad.

Will try again today with low quality setting.

I'm at the store buying food and someone from NeoGAF is playing the PS4 in my living room, unlocking cars for me.

Is this what next gen is??

How does shooter MP work? I am guessing shooters that have split screen will work as MP else it won't function?

If you're shareplaying a shooter, it will have to be split screen. Shareplay recognizes the 2nd controller as being on YOUR console.

Maybe I'm misunderstand your question though.

I'm gonna be up for the next hour or so, would like to try this out though.

PSN: PaladinCulebra
Timezone: EST
Connection Quality:
3867354367.png

Games currently installed:

Fez
Infamous First Light
Infamous Second Son
Killzone Shadowfall
Outlast
P.T.
Peggle 2
Pix The Cat
Pure Chess
Resogun
Spelunky
Strider
The Last Of Us: Remastered
Towerfall Ascension
Transistor

Offer stands if anyone wants to try anything from my library beyond just tonight, too. Just send a message with the game you'd like to try.

joecanada

Anyone want their k/d up in bf4 I'm for hire.
Lol I'm kidding but I would be willing to do this to help people unlock stuff (I'm pretty good but not YouTube good lol)

whitehawk

Banned
I'm at the store buying food and someone from NeoGAF is playing the PS4 in my living room, unlocking cars for me.

That was pretty fun haha. IQ was pretty good, but there was a lot to be desired. However for a Toronto to Edmonton connection I can't complain. Over 3,000km. Lag was more than good enough. It was about as good as using remote play on a direct connection to your PS4.

This has potential. If only upload speeds weren't so low for everyone. Hopefully that changes soon.

nelchaar

Has anyone tried intercontinental Shareplay sessions? I mean crossing the Atlantic share plays. Maybe someone from North America playing with someone in Europe? Middle East? Is that even possible with the lag?

Has anyone tried intercontinental Shareplay sessions? I mean crossing the Atlantic share plays. Maybe someone from North America playing with someone in Europe? Middle East? Is that even possible with the lag?

Gamer345 is in Ireland and played a few Driveclub races on my system (Canada West)

I enjoyed the game anyway even with the lag, it was not so frequent but clearly distracting for a driving game. It was still great to try Driveclub, definitely look to get the game now

Shareplay is just incredibly impressive

Thanks though ;)

wapplew

I'm gonna be up for the next hour or so, would like to try this out though.

PSN: PaladinCulebra
Timezone: EST
Connection Quality:
3867354367.png

Offer stands if anyone wants to try anything from my library beyond just tonight, too. Just send a message with the game you'd like to try.

Just sent you a FR, I'm from Malaysia though, how many miles is that?

It seems the connection keeps timing out, keeps saying it won't connect. He's on a wireless connection, I think he's connecting an ethernet line in atm, that should work.

wapplew

It seems the connection keeps timing out, keeps saying it won't connect. He's on a wireless connection, I think he's connecting an ethernet line in atm, that should work.

My internet sucks anyway, 8mb down, 400k up.

-------------

Finally connected as guest with wired connection.
My impression, graphic quality is great, look smooth.
Latency is there, given the distant over 9000 miles, I think the delay is between 250ms to 300ms, which is normal from my other MMO experience.

Ya, this is very "next gen"

Duxxy3

Next gen is you watching a person who is hosting another person who is remotely playing your game, and all while you are at the store.

tcourt

Neo Member
Played UFC against my bro 45 miles away via share play. He said the game looked and played pretty good on his end. And he was putting up a decent fight, so lag wasn't much of an issue, at least for our connections and this game.

Chat audio was pretty clear too, but he probably needed to increase his mic volume in the party chat options. Pretty happy with this feature.

Chris_C

Man, I pay like a hundred dollars for a fifth of that speed (half of the up).

I pay $120 for a tenth of that, and a tenth of the up -_-

Share Play impressions have me very jealous!

If anyone wants to add, my PSN ID is: Korghano (please leave a message to let me know you're a GAFfer)

Share Play is freeeking fantastic. First after I finished with parent consults (I'm a teacher) I managed to play Lord of the Fallen because of shareplay. It isn't something I will buy at full price but it was enjoyable and if/when its on sale in the PSN store I'll pick it up.

I was showing my friend shareplay as he had only just updated to 2.0 when we decided on fifa as I wanted a "local" coop game. He had never played fifa before and then this happened.

I'm the one saying instructions with a croaky voice

alterno69

Banned
Share Play is freeeking fantastic. First after I finished with parent consults (I'm a teacher) I managed to play Lord of the Fallen because of shareplay. It isn't something I will buy at full price but it was enjoyable and if/when its on sale in the PSN store I'll pick it up.

I was showing my friend shareplay as he had only just updated to 2.0 when we decided on fifa as I wanted a "local" coop game. He had never played fifa before and then this happened.

I'm the one saying instructions with a croaky voice
Fifa being Fifa, just reminded me why i'm done with the game for good.

Purest 78

If anyone wants to try Driveclub just let me know I have 28 up speed my streams work well. If interested just ask I give you my psn.

Paganmoon

Impressions from testing yesterday.

Locations: Sweden and UK
Games: Driveclub, Towerfall: ascencion, Resogun.

There is a slight but definitely noticeable lag for input. In towerfall it gives a slight advantage to the host. But it is still very playable.
There's also a noticeable softening to the picture, could tell even in Towerfall (yes, it's a pixelgame, but still sharper locally).
Also, if you switch games too often it seems share play gets a hiccup, and the visitor needs to leave the party and rejoin it, but this could've had to do with PSN been a bit finicky yesterday (kept prompting to log on to PSN).
One really annoying thing, Notifications get blocked in the stream with a giant black box that takes up a much larger space for the "visitors" stream than the size of the actual notification. It could be anything from Friend notification of joining a part to a trophy unlock. Needs to be fixed to either have a smaller box, or so that the host can choose what notifications to block.

But damn was I impressed with the technology, capturing, encoding, sending to "visitor" get input back, and still as low latency as we've noticed. Wow, the cloud is real!

CozMick

Banned
Does the input lag improve upon general p2p lag?

I'm guessing multiplayer vs a friend via shareplay is fairer than the host advantage during an online game?

Data Ghost

I'll ad you. we can get a game of Knack going here in a minute.

Thanks for the game yesterday, it was a good chance to finally check out Knack and the connection throughout was superb.

Incredible to think that you are in the US streaming a game to my PS4 in the UK and we were all talking over party chat with no connection issues whatsoever. Truly impressed with SharePlay.

EDIT: For the benefit of others who want to hear more about SharePlay, yes there was the slightest of input lag (thats why I kept falling to my death - honest!), what I found though was that I began automatically compensating for it very quickly. Again it really was very slight.

Tried sharing Minecraft and Lego Marvel, I just get a message saying it's either a blocked scene or I can't share due to restrictions. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Peggle 2 works fine. I thought others had got Lego Marvel working, though?

Paganmoon

Tried sharing Minecraft and Lego Marvel, I just get a message saying it's either a blocked scene or I can't share due to restrictions. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Peggle 2 works fine. I thought others had got Lego Marvel working, though?

Got that yesterday when starting Resogun, worked after visitor left the party and rejoined iirc.

SeanR1221

Yup I got Lego marvel to work. But minecraft wouldn't.

I'm in the US

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there any information on region restriction?

I tried Shareplay with a friend, this is our setup:
Me - US account in EU
He - EU account in EU

When he started the Shareplay session, everything worked normally (I am really surprised about the image quality), but when I started the shareplay session, he got a notification that he cant join because he is not allowed to view content from that region or something similar.

Whats up with that?

Guymelef

Seems like some game some people can't play other people can.
Those with regional problem did you try using another region account?

Got that yesterday when starting Resogun, worked after visitor left the party and rejoined iirc.

Yup I got Lego marvel to work. But minecraft wouldn't.

I'm in the US
Tried rejoining, still getting "blocked by your region." I'm in the UK, guessing NA copies of Lego Marvel work but EU copies don't for some reason...

Basically any indie game has worked, my US copy of Diablo 3 worked too.

Paganmoon

Tried rejoining, still getting "blocked by your region." I'm in the UK, guessing NA copies of Lego Marvel work but EU copies don't for some reason...

Basically any indie game has worked, my US copy of Diablo 3 worked too.

Ahh sorry, didn't see "blocked by region", it just said viewing a screen you can't view or something to that extent. I was the host, so I can't say for sure.

JimPanzer

what kind of connection do I need as the client? I only got like 5.5 down and 0.6 up but would love to try Lords of the Fallen

wapplew

what kind of connection do I need as the client? I only got like 5.5 down and 0.6 up but would love to try Lords of the Fallen

Mine 8mb down, 0.4 up, tested sucusss with a wired connection.

They need to be more specific on error message, give us better knowledge on why we fail.

Top Bottom