• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sudden Impact Metal Slug 3 XBLA Thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The header: Needs Neo Gaf Tailoring

bannerdefault.jpg

What is Metal Slug 3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Slug_3

Metal Slug 3 is a run and gun video game for the Neo-Geo console/arcade platform created by SNK that was released in 2000 and is the sequel to Metal Slug 2. Being the last Metal Slug that SNK was working on, it was given a lot of features, enhancements and improvements.The music of the game was developed by Noise Factory.

Xbox.com Splash Page

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/metalslug3xboxlivearcade/

Official PR Release Details/Release Date

The fourth title in the “Metal Slug” series joins the Xbox LIVE Arcade library as “Metal Slug 3” arrives this Wednesday, January 2 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PST).

An update of the original arcade version, "Metal Slug 3" is a run-and-gun video game updated with HD graphics and now features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE. “Metal Slug 3” provides gamers with various route selections within each stage enabling players to play over and over. Join Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, the four veterans in the “Metal Slug” series, as they hit the battlefield to stop General Morden from disturbing the order and peace that has begun to return to the world. Throughout the game, various vehicles called “Slugs” are made available to help players in battle and to complete the mission. The game features co-op gameplay for up to two players over Xbox LIVE. Developed by SNK Playmore, “Metal Slug 3” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

Video

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14932

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14933

Screenshots:

xdk006-image_2.jpg

xdk006-image_13.jpg

xdk006-image_10.jpg

xdk006-image66.jpg

xdk006-image61.jpg

xdk006-image43.jpg

xdk006-image24.jpg

xdk006-image7.jpg

xdk006-image4.jpg

xdk006-image2.jpg

xdk006-image_19.jpg

Achievements:

http://www.achieve360points.com/game/metalslug3/

Achievements

1. Mission All Completed
Complete all the missions.
10 points

2. All Completed without Continue
Complete all the missions without continue.
25 points

3. Point Hunter
Achieve over 3,000,000 points.
20 points

4. Mission 1 Master
Complete Mission 1 without any miss.
10 points

5. Mission 2 Master
Complete Mission 2 without any miss.
15 points

6. Mission 3 Master
Complete Mission 3 without any miss.
20 points

7. Mission 4 Master
Complete Mission 4 without any miss.
20 points

8. Final Mission Master
Complete Final Mission without any miss.
40 points

9. Save President
Save President in the mission.
10 points

10. Hyakutaro Ichimonji
Save Hyakutaro Ichimonji.
10 points

11. No More Weapon
Complete any mission, without getting power-up items.
10 points

12. Strong Zombie
Defeat the Boss Enemy while the player is Zombie.
10 points

Reviews:

IGN Xbox 360
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/843/843519p1.html

7.4 (Decent)

Any word on price? 400 points is a definite buy from me. 800 is still a probable purchase. But anything beyond that is a no sale.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
EternalGamer said:
Any word on price? 400 points is a definite buy from me. 800 is still a probable purchase. But anything beyond that is a no sale.

It's 800.

Man, the achievements on this are brutal.

Nester

EternalGamer said:

An update of the original arcade version, "Metal Slug 3" is a run-and-gun video game updated with HD graphics and now features co-op multiplayer over Xbox LIVE. “Metal Slug 3” provides gamers with various route selections within each stage enabling players to play over and over. Join Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, the four veterans in the “Metal Slug” series, as they hit the battlefield to stop General Morden from disturbing the order and peace that has begun to return to the world. Throughout the game, various vehicles called “Slugs” are made available to help players in battle and to complete the mission. The game features co-op gameplay for up to two players over Xbox LIVE. Developed by SNK Playmore, “Metal Slug 3” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

GhaleonEB

Darunia said:
It's 800.

Man, the achievements on this are brutal.
It's going to be one of those games where bragging about a 200 gamerscore will actually mean something. Usually when someone maxes out the score it's no big deal. For this game it's like, holy crap.

I might pick this up. I love the genre, but have only played a demo of one of the Metal Slug games.

D3VI0US

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm buying it. I tried out the Xbox version and fell in love. Is this XBLA version based off the superior Xbox version?

From the menus it would seem that the extras from the Xbox version aren't going to be on the 360 version. I'm sure size limits are a factor but maybe we'll see it as DLC.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
D3VI0US said:
From the menus it would seem that the extras from the Xbox version aren't going to be on the 360 version. I'm sure size limits are a factor but maybe we'll see it as DLC.
well, you'll see plenty of gamerpics as DLC.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
D3VI0US said:

What extras did the Xbox version contain?

D3VI0US said:

Wasn't there extra stuff in the levels in that version?

Gowans

i will prepare myself to see this screen alot.

xdk006-image_19.jpg

I'd go for weeks with just a metal slug game in my GBA and online co-op seals the deal.

Some of the achievement will be worth looking up on the gaf achievement site to see who gets them, some are almost of the level of a trial to become immortal.

Gowans

Shard if you get the Completed all levels without a continue then you deserve to put that in the op before you get the sword of greyskull and turn into the ruler of the universe

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gowans007 said:
Shard if you get the Completed all levels without a continue then you deserve to put that in the op before you get the sword of greyskull and turn into the ruler of the universe

I don't see that happening.

Well I guess I can double dip on this game. While it's not my favorite Metal Slug it's definitely the nicest looking in the series. Those achievements are lame though. MS3 is not the kind of game I'd want to try and 1 credit.

GhaleonEB said:
It's going to be one of those games where bragging about a 200 gamerscore will actually mean something. Usually when someone maxes out the score it's no big deal. For this game it's like, holy crap.

I might pick this up. I love the genre, but have only played a demo of one of the Metal Slug games.
No, you WILL pick this up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rodeo Clown said:
Who did the port? This is crucial as to whether or not I should expect decent netcode.

I can tell you who is not doing this, Digital Eclipse and Stainless Games. I recall some Korean company is handling the port job, though if Fatal Fury Speical is any indication, that has me a bit worried.

Singho

I cained this when it came out on the original xbox, first game before Geometry Wars I really tried to score attack because of the online (ghetto and simplistic as it was) scoreboards.

Missions 1 (Arabian\Desert Stage) is a doddle to learn and 1 credit or life so you can collect all the prisnors with a bit of practice on that.

Mission 2 (zombie attack) however...oh god. Theres two ways through this, but if you take the easy way out by NOT going into the Ice Cave, you are missing out on a crap load of points. But the Ice Stage had to be one of the most hardest sections to complete and stay alive keeping your prisnor bonus intact. You have to be so careful not to get mobbed by the snowmen's ice blasts. Takes a while to get through it...and then back out of it, and truly is a pure test of patience and concentration.

Then when you get out of there, the boss can be taken out in a matter of moments IF you got turned into a zombie. One quick blast with the blood vomit (bomb button) you can wipe out the entire group of spinning aliens...but it's just so easy to miss one or get dicked by a shot or the next stage of the boss. Good luck to everyone who will be trying to get through the Ice Cave and this boss with one life though. :D

Even if you do make it through here, the next stage is an absolute ARSE. I managed to get to the boss of the 3rd stage in 1 credit, never any further though. It's a tough game but can be "learned" if you are willing to put the time, effort, blood, sweat and tears in though. Not much to ask really.

;'(

Oh, Zombie music stage is just too great.

Shard said:
I can tell you who is not doing this, Digital Eclipse and Stainless Games. I recall some Korean company is handling the port job, though if Fatal Fury Speical is any indication, that has me a bit worried.

What was wrong with Fatal Fury Special? I thought the net code and the options were decent enough. Was a lot more stable then the SFII HF.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Metal Slug 3 isn't my favourite Metal Slug game (that's Metal Slug X), but it's still a stellar game and one of my favourite run-and-gun shooters.

I have the Anthology but I'll double-dip for the improved graphics and Achievements, which should be fun to get. Except for beating Mission 5 without dying, which will drive me insane.

Daigoro

oh JOY! the official thread. couldnt have lived without this one.

GhaleonEB said:

you love the genre. you havent ever played Metal Slug 3. you arent sure if youre going to pick this up.

Hm.

CO_Andy said:
Game needs a freakin' auto-fire button.

no, it needs an arcade stick.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Shard said:
What extras did the Xbox version contain?

According to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Slug_3#PlayStation_2_and_Xbox_extras said:
"On the console versions, ported by Playmore, once the arcade mode has been beaten, there are two additional mini-games: 'Storming the UFO Mothership' and 'Fat Island'.

Storming the UFO Mothership

This mode allows the player to control one of the soldiers of General Morden, to rescue fellow soldiers and attack the UFO forces. The player can choose between the Riot Shield Soldier, Bazooka Soldier, and Grenade Soldier. The player is given a single life; this is balanced by the number of reinforcements from fellow soldiers. The 'bomb' button brings back the familiar machine gun toting, bare-chested, mini-boss from the series, which is a devastating attack that will destroy every single enemy (with exception of a boss character) on the screen.

Fat Island

Two players compete to gain the most weight in a limited amount of time by eating various foods. They start out with 100kg and must finish with 200. Live animals impart more weight, but disappear sooner than fruits and vegetables. If players lose enough weight, they will return to normal size and then to a mummy state.

Tain

This is for leaderboards and leaderboards only, as far as I'm concerned. The original Xbox version was pretty fucked up in that department. Online co-op doesn't do anything for me.

I'm considering it.

Buy this to support SNK on XBLA. $10 isn't a high price, compare to any past console version of this series that didn't have online co-op.

Iam Canadian

AEGISX said:
what does it mean by "without any miss"?

Without dying.

Considering you die within one hit (unless you're in a Slug), this is no easy task on the later stages. I can't even imagine beating Mission 5 without dying.

Iam Canadian

Hellraizah said:
I paid 400$ for this on Neo Geo AES. I think you should reconsider what you just said.

Yeah, but you can get this as part of the Anthology for $30, and it comes with the other five games.

HAOHMARU

I can pass MS3 all the way up to the final mission without dying. The final mission is damn near impossible to beat without using continues, let alone dying.

The best I've ever done is 1 continue. The key is to use the 1-2 second invincibility you get when hopping in and out of the Metal Slug. That will save you a lot especially in enemies that have seemingly random attack patterns. Besides the last boss, the hardest part is getting chased through the air locks by the zombie replicas and the robots with the brains. I always run out of fire power during that run...the pistol just isn't enough.

It is just going to take a lot of practice and memorization of enemy attacks. I don't think it is impossible, but I gave up a long time ago. I used to be able to beat MS, MS2 and MS2X without dying. MS4, MS5 and MS6 aren't that good so I never really tried to do that with them. They aren't nearly as hard as MS3 though.

GhaleonEB

Daigoro said:
you love the genre. you havent ever played Metal Slug 3. you arent sure if youre going to pick this up.

hm
Indeed! I'm interested, and will try the demo. Which is more than I've done for the last half-dozen or so Arcade games. :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
:lol @ SNKP expecting anyone to get even a fraction of those achievements!!!

Also :lol @ everyone saying $10 is too steep for this classic game. :lol I bought Metal Slug ONE for like $250 USD for my 6-slot mvs pcb back in 1998. Used to play the shit out of it on my SuperGun. Had to sell it off unfortunately, but you guys have no idea how expensive NeoGeo games were back in the day. The price is more than justify-able considering the level of detail you get in these gorgeous 2D games.

I better not see any of you complaining that $10 is too steep for SSII on Live. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Shard said:
I had heard that Fatal Fury Special had some laggy net-code, maybe that was an isolated thing.

When I played other people in Japan, online play was buttery smooth. Outside connections...awful.

D3VI0US

$10 is too steep? They actually added online play and voice chat, fuck you cheap fucks, you should support the fuck out of it so we get the rest of the series and actual Neo Geo fighters online with Live that aren't crappy Fatal Fury Special.

Tokubetsu

D3VI0US said:
$10 is too steep? They actually added online play and voice chat, fuck you cheap fucks, you should support the fuck out of it so we get the rest of the series and actual Neo Geo fighters online with Live that aren't crappy Fatal Fury Special.

I have the PSP collection or w/e but I'll probably spring for this. I really didn't buy that many XBLA titles year because i was really waiting for Castle Crashers. I probably won't even beat this...I cant even beat the the psp version without using more than 9 credits.

TimeKillr

Filtered graphics am cry!

Let's hope you can play without any filters. Seriously, Metal Slug is one of those games where the spritework is so meticulous that filtering it kills it.

I love pixels, what can I say? :)

Top Bottom