• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

linkboy

aggro crag said:
In the one area where you bolded, I didn't make the change and I was still able to load up FF7. Is it necessary for other games?

Guess that bolded part isn't needed then (when I did it I just changed everything related to 5.00).

Its a universal fix, so it should work for any game purchased off of PSN that requires firmware 5.03 or higher.

Basically, all it does it trick the game into thinking its running on the required firmware. Dark Alex built it into the firmware, but not a lot of people know about it (I didn't until I started looking into getting FF7 to load on 5.00).

sun-drop

linkboy said:
I come bearing good news, I know how to get FF7 PSN to work with M33-6.

Follow these steps

1) Go to recovery console (hold R while the system boots)

2) Under configuration enable Version.txt

3) Now go to advance and access Flash 0 (be careful as flash 0 is the internal PSP flash)

4)search for version.txt

This is what the file should look like

release:5.00:
build:2740,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6
system:46876@release_500,0x05000010:
vsh:p6264@release_500,v46652@release_500,20081010:
target:1:WorldWide

Change all of the 5.00\500 to 5.50\550 and the game will run perfectly fine.

Version.txt is a way to bypass the firmware check of PSN games.

does this work for getting Media Go to work as well?

Flek

Banned
linkboy said:
I come bearing good news, I know how to get FF7 PSN to work with M33-6.

Follow these steps

1) Go to recovery console (hold R while the system boots)

2) Under configuration enable Version.txt

3) Now go to advance and access Flash 0 (be careful as flash 0 is the internal PSP flash)

4)search for version.txt

This is what the file should look like

release:5.00:
build:2740,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6
system:46876@release_500,0x05000010:
vsh:p6264@release_500,v46652@release_500,20081010:
target:1:WorldWide

Change all of the 5.00\500 to 5.50\550 and the game will run perfectly fine.

Version.txt is a way to bypass the firmware check of PSN games.

quesition: i cant access falsh 0 i can onyl enable and dissable it - what am i doing wrong?

Synless

Flek said:
quesition: i cant access falsh 0 i can onyl enable and dissable it - what am i doing wrong?
You need to plug in your USB cable after you enable it. Don't even exit the screen your on with your psp. Just plug it in and a folder will pop up and you have to find the .txt file in there.

Flek

Banned
thx worked ... but unfortunatly the trick didnt work for the new monster hunter portable g demo .. he still refuses to start it :(

panda21

stupid question - if i accidentally slide up the power thing and put it to sleep with CFW and homebrew running, will this brick my psp? used to happen with 1.00 before CFW i recall, although I think you just had to run down the battery or something to fix it

MikeE21286 said:
man if this new PSP Go! digital distribution model locks me out of using my PSP w/ CFW...I'll be freakin' pissed.

Then prepare to be pissed.
They will use this in many ways to force people to not be able to use CFW, whether it is firmware or game drm.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
English.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/GEN-A-has-...or-HEN-now-available-UPDATE-/pg/49/aid/131965

Okay guys! This is it! Get those PSP 3000s of your fired up, cos Custom Firmware 5.03 HENA-A for HEN is now available, as promised. "Entirely compatible with the OFW 5.03" and fully workable for both the Slim and 3K - "without exception" - it's time to enjoy the joys of homebrew.

Features:

* COMPATIBILITY PSP-3000 and PSP-2000 v3
* Reading of plays PS1
* Reading of the backups of plays PSP
* GEN VSH FINELY available
* Recovery in VSH available (some bugs remains to be regulated - to see further)
* Access to the PSN
* Etc

Known Bugs:

(translated by Babel)

The RECOVERY MODE of the 5.02GEN-A was patché to turn on the PSP-3000. It makes it possible to modify the majority of the usual options. Note that we some problems with this recovery in VSH and will undoubtedly have to be awaited a patch encounters correction so that it is functional at 100%. Note that SMALL GEN VSH functions, him, very well.

Here menus and their equivalents:

* Togle USB = OK
* configuration ok
o Sony skip: do not go (useless thus not engraves)
o Hide corrupt let us icons = walk not and activeSkip Sony logo
o range folder HB ok
o autorun EBOOT ok
o fake area ok
o use vsh finely ok
o XMB USB Device ok
o Charge device with usb ok
o Use M33 network update ok
o use version TXT ok
o hide MAC ok

* use range ok categories
* Reboot in official firmware > nonfunctional
* Run program At = Finely advanced
* advanced = CPU SPEED
* CPU SPEED = Plugins
* plugins = registry hack
* registry hack = suspends device
* device = reboot in official firmware suspends
* Reset system = quit

Put besides that all functions and we will try to correct this as fast as possible.

The README further notes that:

* When you installed the custom firmware in your flash you can remove the "files" folder in the MS ROOT. For your own safety, is better that you rename or erase the prx called "flasher.prx" in the MAIN APP folder to avoid wrong flash times.

* If you shutdown the machine or the psp crash, you will need use again ChickHEN R2 to load the main app and press O to reboot in the custom firmware, but if you dont shutdown the machine you are in the custom firmware forever.

For everything you need to know on CFW 5.03HEN-A, just go here.

It's not quite there yet, actually. Seems like a bit of a hack-job at the moment, with some features broken and a certain impermanence to it.

linkboy

Hcoregamer00 said:
The PSP-3000 news is nice, but what are the updates on 5.50 CFW?

DAX doesn't make firmwares for minor updates (the biggest addition for 5.50 was the subfolders).

There's really no reason for a 5.50 CFW.

The version.txt trick gets the majority of PSN games to work (FF7 does, I'm not sure about Patapon 2).

linkboy said:
DAX doesn't make firmwares for minor updates (the biggest addition for 5.50 was the subfolders).

There's really no reason for a 5.50 CFW.

The version.txt trick gets the majority of PSN games to work (FF7 does, I'm not sure about Patapon 2).

Care to give a link to a tutorial? Haven't been in this topic for ages.

Mejilan

Getting Patapon 2 (and recent demos) to work might take a little bit more effort, but that's easily done as well. PSN's PSP DRM was cracked LOOOONG ago, and the means exists to convert any downloaded PSP demo/game eboot into a DRM free ISO. This doesn't work for PSOne Classics, though. But the version.txt trick seems to work a treat for that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Whenever I try to save the 5.50 edited version.txt I get this error:

2q8ptn9.jpg

Can anyone help?

Also my PSP can't connect to my router, the IP address always times out, help on that would also be appreciated, thanks.

tale

My PSP (Phat) is running 5.00 M33-6, but will only boot if I have a certain MemoryStick in it (The one I used to put the Custom firmware on it). Otherwise the screen is black, and the LED on the side is green.

Does this mean my PSP is bricked? Or is this how it's meant to be? It works fine once booted, I swap the MS and everything works fine but it's a tiny bit annoying to always have to carry around two Memorysticks.

EDIT: So I've tried just about every technique I could find via google (this was a helpful video btw: http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-psp - if a little dated )

I tried the in-built recovery option, using the Recovery Flasher, downgrading to various other firmwares but nothing seems to work. I'm open to any suggestions at this point ...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
tale said:
My PSP (Phat) is running 5.00 M33-6, but will only boot if I have a certain MemoryStick in it (The one I used to put the Custom firmware on it). Otherwise the screen is black, and the LED on the side is green.

Does this mean my PSP is bricked? Or is this how it's meant to be? It works fine once booted, I swap the MS and everything works fine but it's a tiny bit annoying to always have to carry around two Memorysticks.

EDIT: So I've tried just about every technique I could find via google (this was a helpful video btw: http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-psp - if a little dated )

I tried the in-built recovery option, using the Recovery Flasher, downgrading to various other firmwares but nothing seems to work. I'm open to any suggestions at this point ...

Are you running any kind of plugins? If so, try disabling them.

If that doesn't help, take the problematic memstick, and try reformating it.

tale said:

Your battery is a Pandora. That's why. You have to load the IPL sleep mode fix onto any other Memstick. Basically run the first step of the UMPS installer (memstick) and then switch it off. TA-DA!

Synless

Does this work with version 5.50 OFW??? Or am I fucked for a bit. Because if that's the cause I'm exchanging my new 3000 at the store when the rock band bundle comes out.

tale

Dragona Akehi said:
Your battery is a Pandora. That's why. You have to load the IPL sleep mode fix onto any other Memstick. Basically run the first step of the UMPS installer (memstick) and then switch it off. TA-DA!

Thanks so much for this advice. It took me a little while to work out what exactly you meant (after I discovered that holding down the L trigger activated the Pandora menu - d'oh), but now everything seems to be working perfectly.

Thank you!

VicViper

Been out of the CFW loop for a while, is there a CFW version/hack with support for subfolder video/music reading? From my knowledge, the latest CFW does not support subfolder reading yet but it was introduced with one of the later official firmware versions. Any clues?

linkboy

VicViper said:
Been out of the CFW loop for a while, is there a CFW version/hack with support for subfolder video/music reading? From my knowledge, the latest CFW does not support subfolder reading yet but it was introduced with one of the later official firmware versions. Any clues?

I haven't seen anything yet, however, it will be added when the next version of M33 gets released. 5.50 didn't get released because it really didn't add anything major to the PSP.

scitek

This is so stupid, but I was doing the version.txt alteration to play FFVII from the PSN, and in the process, I accidentally disabled my VSHMenu from being the select button on the XMB. I'm now stuck having it read my Flash 0. Is there a way to get the VSHMenu to pop back up again when I press select? I'm using the new Gen-A firmware on a 3000.

gokieks

scitek said:
This is so stupid, but I was doing the version.txt alteration to play FFVII from the PSN, and in the process, I accidentally disabled my VSHMenu from being the select button on the XMB. I'm now stuck having it read my Flash 0. Is there a way to get the VSHMenu to pop back up again when I press select? I'm using the new Gen-A firmware on a 3000.

Do a full shutdown, then hold R when starting up the PSP to get into Recovery Menu.

RJT

I was able to download and play the Monster Hunter Demo on CFW with Media Go...

I used the version.txt trick and disabled game plugin (in the recovery mode).

EDIT: just downloaded a trailer. Going to try FF7 next.

scitek

gokieks said:
Do a full shutdown, then hold R when starting up the PSP to get into Recovery Menu.

Yeah,the problem with that is that when I do a full shutdown, it just boots back into the Official Firmware. I have to do the ChickHEN exploit and run the installer again just to reboot back into Custom Firmware. Thus, I can't get into recovery mode the usual way. I'll need to edit a plugin file or something, I think. :(

scitek said:
Yeah,the problem with that is that when I do a full shutdown, it just boots back into the Official Firmware. I have to do the ChickHEN exploit and run the installer again just to reboot back into Custom Firmware. Thus, I can't get into recovery mode the usual way. I'll need to edit a plugin file or something, I think. :(
isn't the VSH Menu the Home button in GEN-A?

also, if anyone is having problems getting ChickHEN to boot on a 2000, try ChickHEN mod2

scitek

The Faceless Master said:
isn't the VSH Menu the Home button in GEN-A?

Nope, it was the select. I accidentally disabled it last night and now I can't get it back. Every time I fully reboot and get back into the CFW, it's still disabled. Is there any way to completely wipe my PSP's internal memory back to factory settings and reinstall the CFW from scratch?

edgefusion

Is there any way to have the PSP automatically display the contents of the SD card instead of making you click the folder? I'd really like to be able to scroll to music and just see all my music instead of having to tap into that little icon, likewise with movies and games.

scitek said:
Nope, it was the select. I accidentally disabled it last night and now I can't get it back. Every time I fully reboot and get back into the CFW, it's still disabled. Is there any way to completely wipe my PSP's internal memory back to factory settings and reinstall the CFW from scratch?
well, i don't know for sure, but i assume GEN-A stores it's config file in flash1 (like m33 does), which would mean you have to find/use an app that can edit/delete the config file on flash1... i guess you can try config cleaner out?

Mejilan

Custom Firmware 5.50 Gen is impending, from what I hear.
It's not a Dark-Alex CFW, and as such, I probably won't be upgrading to it.

But for those of you that feel that you've outgrown 5.00 M33-x (due to recent releases) and can't be bothered to wait for compatibility hacks or workarounds (should they exist), it might be a good compromise for you.

Like Dark-Alex CFWs, it's basically only for 1000s and earlier 2000s, and will be accompanied (either immediately or in the near future) with a 1.50 kernel patch (for 1000s) and a modified version of CXMB for your custom theming needs.

Depending on how well it's received by the community, and especially by how it handles and is supported by plugins, I may or may not upgrade to it at a later date.

Edit - Some more details here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=215742

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of features and stability, they're bout the same. And you can freely switch between the two. Still don't understand why DA hasn't bothered to do the update, the subfolder feature is definitely something that the PSP should have had ages ago.

Have you tried holding down R after you run the Chickhen Exploit and "reboot" into Custom Firmware?

I've hit a wall guys and could use some suggestions. I am trying to rip my UMDs to the memory stick. I have a PSP-1000 using CFW 5.00 M33-3 and I have tried UBSSS100, umddump 2 and PSP filer, and every time I end up with a "the game cannot be started" message. I have also tried switching the mode to UMD Disc via the vsh menu but my PC will just recognize the memory stick and not .iso.

Any ideas?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Classic_Gs said:
I've hit a wall guys and could use some suggestions. I am trying to rip my UMDs to the memory stick. I have a PSP-1000 using CFW 5.00 M33-3 and I have tried UBSSS100, umddump 2 and PSP filer, and every time I end up with a "the game cannot be started" message. I have also tried switching the mode to UMD Disc via the vsh menu but my PC will just recognize the memory stick and not .iso.

Any ideas?

Do you have the ISOs in the X:/PSP/ISO folder? Are they just not showing up in the game menu?

Top Bottom