• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Schrade

nyprimus2 said:
How much space does a typical compressed but still pretty good if not best quality for the PSP 2 hour long movie take up?
The Negotiator, 2 hours 13 minutes 53 seconds long (including credits). Encoded using Avidemux 2.5.0 r4763 with x264 CRF 22 setting, the file turns out to be 417 MB.

The PSP is a phenomenal h.264 movie playing device. I just wish they'd ease up on the resolution constraints that you can use. If they fix that plus have a superior LCD on the PSP Go!, I'm double dipping. The PSP-1000's screen is sooo slow with response time, it's a shame too.

Here's a MediaInfo of the file:

Code:
General
Complete name                    : E:\Movies\The Negotiator.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Sony PSP
Codec ID                         : MSNV
File size                        : 417 MiB
Duration                         : 2h 13mn
Overall bit rate                 : 436 Kbps
Movie name                       : The Negotiator
Part/Position                    : 0
Part/Total                       : 0
Track name/Position              : 0
Track name/Total                 : 0
Encoded date                     : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                      : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Main@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 302 Kbps
Width                            : 480 pixels
Height                           : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Minimum frame rate               : 12.500 fps
Maximum frame rate               : 25.000 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.092
Stream size                      : 289 MiB (69%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 67 r1145M d2e1e1c
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.2 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=0 / rc=crf / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=10000 / vbv_bufsize=10000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 123 MiB (29%)

gokieks

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Isn't it obvious?

It's just like PSP firmware updates. People know that they won't be able to get custom firmware for awhile if they update the firmware, so they don't do it.

People will know that if they use the store, their custom firmware will be removed (or they won't be able to use the store at all), so instead of buying new games from the store (which will be the only option if UMD games are phased out) they'll just pirate those games.

I think you are way over-estimating the number of PSP owners who have CFW, don't pirate anything at all, and would then choose to pirate DD-only games instead of switching back to OFW (or buying another PSP/Go to play them).

Personally, if DD-only truly takes off and are not playable on CFW, I'd look long and hard at getting a PSP Go even if I don't think it looks all that great, just for the smaller form-factor and the internal storage (16GB MS Pro Duos are still not mass-market price, and presumably the PSP Go will have a MS slot as well).

Danj

Schrade said:
The PSP is a phenomenal h.264 movie playing device. I just wish they'd ease up on the resolution constraints that you can use.

What resolution constraints? You can use the PSP's full screen resolution these days, which is 480x272. Or are you talking about using the TV-out?

Schrade

Danj said:
What resolution constraints? You can use the PSP's full screen resolution these days, which is 480x272. Or are you talking about using the TV-out?
Resolution constraints meaning you can't do anything between 480x272 and 720x480. It's either or and nothing else.

i.e. You can't do a 640x480 video for it.

Stuff below 480x272 can be various sizes, though.

RJT

Wheeliedude said:
I have the version checker block plugin on my hacked PSP, so demos and the like can be downloaded from the PC Media Manager.
Details, please? A quick Google search didn't turn any obvious links...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So I really want to buy FFVII off the PSN store, but I've downloaded regular PSP demos and noticed it wouldn't work on my custom firmware. So how do I get PS1 games from the PS Store working on custom firmware? I'm on CFW 5.00 M33-3.

Keldor

I just bought a white Vader PSP off of Craigslist but it has OFW 5.05. Can I just install the custom firmware with a MM and Pandora or do I need to downgrade the firmware first?

Keldor

Ecchi-Time7 said:
Riiight, I know you guys are just using CFW just for small/insignificant added features *rolls eyes*

Stop killing the PSP >: (
2le01f9.jpg

Mejilan said:
Now that the bulk of the E3 revelations are behind us, you're looking for a ban? That's smart.

Hey Mejilan, I know you didn't download FF7 off PSN but do you have any idea if games purchased via PSN work on m33-6?

Schrade

Ecchi-Time7 said:
Riiight, I know you guys are just using CFW just for small/insignificant added features *rolls eyes*

Stop killing the PSP >: (
Fuck off. You are the problem. Custom Firmware does not mean you have to pirate games. Many of us are responsible adults who like to support awesome products but also like to get the most out of them.

So I can't play PSN FF7 on my CFW PSP, yet? :(

I tried ripping my copy long time ago of disc 1, and I really would just like to have it on my PS3 HDD and as one file for my PSP. $10 for FF7 is too delicious.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So do you guys think CFW will be necessary (if it's even possible) for the PSP Go?

Grayman

Jtwo said:
So do you guys think CFW will be necessary (if it's even possible) for the PSP Go?
neccessary? no the device will physically work without it. It would add to it though through the extra features or just 333mhz on the older games.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Jtwo said:

who knows, it's not even out yet for another 4 months or so.

They haven't even hacked the psp-3000 yet...so we will see

Ecchi-Time7 said:

Increased battery life, vastly superior load times and decreased slowdown in games are small / insignificant features now?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I meant "necessary for your full enjoyment."

linkboy

I come bearing good news, I know how to get FF7 PSN to work with M33-6.

Follow these steps

1) Go to recovery console (hold R while the system boots)

2) Under configuration enable Version.txt

3) Now go to advance and access Flash 0 (be careful as flash 0 is the internal PSP flash)

4)search for version.txt

This is what the file should look like

release:5.00:
build:2740,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6
system:46876@release_500,0x05000010:
vsh:p6264@release_500,v46652@release_500,20081010:
target:1:WorldWide

Change all of the 5.00\500 to 5.50\550 and the game will run perfectly fine.

Version.txt is a way to bypass the firmware check of PSN games.

Keldor

linkboy said:

Follow these steps

3) Now go to advance and access Flash 0 (be careful as flash 0 is the internal PSP flash)

4)search for version.txt

Just to clarify. So it should look like this?

release:5.50:
system:46876@release_550,0x05000010:
vsh:p6264@release_550,v46652@release_550,20081010:

linkboy

Keldor said:
Just to clarify. So it should look like this?

release:5.50:
system:46876@release_550,0x05500010:
vsh:p6264@release_550,v46652@release_550,20081010:

Make the one change that I bolded and it will work. Backup your original version.txt just in case it doesn't

Keldor

Keldor said:
I just bought a white Vader PSP off of Craigslist but it has OFW 5.05. Can I just install the custom firmware with a MM and Pandora or do I need to downgrade the firmware first?

Also, is there any way to lock down or password protect the firmware controls since I am giving this to my son and do not want him messing anything up?

Synless

using the version txt trick does work for those of you who wanted to play FFVII. Mine booted right up after I did it.

linkboy

PhlivoSong said:
Where am I supposed to be searching for it?

You have to access flash 0 (its under the advanced tab in your recovery console).

Once you do that it will pop up in Windows like its a flash drive. Search for version.txt on that drive. Don't mess around with any of the folders (as deleting anything can jack your psp up).

Load version.txt up in notepad and make the changes mentioned above.

Be sure to enable it in the configuration option as well.

Carlisle

Awesome to hear about that work around for FF7. I'll get right on it after work.

Is there still no way around the region lock of UMD movies? I upgraded to a 2000 while I was living in Japan and I thought that setting the region mode to US in the boot menu would fix everything, but I still can't play my US UMD movies.

linkboy

Carlisle said:
Awesome to hear about that work around for FF7. I'll get right on it after work.

Is there still no way around the region lock of UMD movies? I upgraded to a 2000 while I was living in Japan and I thought that setting the region mode to US in the boot menu would fix everything, but I still can't play my US UMD movies.

The region mode just changes the PSP's region, but it doesn't effect the movies. There's different icons that pop up in the XMB depending on the region selected.

There's still no way (to my knowledge) to get around the region lock, however, if you can rip the movie off of the disc into an ISO, there's a video folder in your ISO folder that will play them regardless of region.

Its not the most ideal situation, but it works.

Carlisle

linkboy said:
The region mode just changes the PSP's region, but it doesn't effect the movies. There's different icons that pop up in the XMB depending on the region selected.

There's still no way (to my knowledge) to get around the region lock, however, if you can rip the movie off of the disc into an ISO, there's a video folder in your ISO folder that will play them regardless of region.

Its not the most ideal situation, but it works.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Switching region just got rid of the Japan icons like 1Seg and PS Spot download centers and added stuff like Skype.

I guess I'll just have to rip the UMDs. It's a shame this happens when I'm finally able to play these movies on my TV though. Oh well, I noticed it when I first got back to the states last August, and I forgot about it until I saw these FFVII workarounds. I've been out of the loop so I thought I'd check in to see if there's been any progress. Thanks.

Anony

for those of you who use ultimate psptube
the guy has lost interest in it and stopped updating it

sucks, veoh stopped working, and some other sites are giving random problems

linkboy said:
You have to access flash 0 (its under the advanced tab in your recovery console).

Once you do that it will pop up in Windows like its a flash drive. Search for version.txt on that drive. Don't mess around with any of the folders (as deleting anything can jack your psp up).

Load version.txt up in notepad and make the changes mentioned above.

Be sure to enable it in the configuration option as well.

When I initially tried this on my Mac nothing new showed up, so it must be something I have to do in Windows. Thanks.

Carlisle

PhlivoSong said:
When I initially tried this on my Mac nothing new showed up, so it must be something I have to do in Windows. Thanks.
I've accessed flash0 on my mac before... not sure what the problem might be for you :/

Chris R

I asked this in the FFV thread, but didn't get a response. What is the best in game (POPS) screenshot taker/maker? I found one plugin, but it was only for the XBM.

Grayman

linkboy said:

Follow these steps

4)search for version.txt

sweet, I was looking for this a few weeks ago but did not know the file was on flash0 or what to change in the text :)

Carlisle said:
I've accessed flash0 on my mac before... not sure what the problem might be for you :/

Is there some other setting tied to this? Both times I've done it (Windows/Leopard) when I activate flash0 all that pops up is my normal memory stick.

linkboy

PhlivoSong said:
Is there some other setting tied to this? Both times I've done it (Windows/Leopard) when I activate flash0 all that pops up is my normal memory stick.

Do it from your recovery console, not the PSP XMB (anything involving flash 0 should be done from there).

linkboy said:
Make the one change that I bolded and it will work. Backup your original version.txt just in case it doesn't
In the one area where you bolded, I didn't make the change and I was still able to load up FF7. Is it necessary for other games?

Has anybody gotten the 80551002 error when trying to buy something on PSN? I can download free content without any problems, but when I try to pay for something I get this error. I tried a google search but there doesn't seem to be many instances of others having this same problem.

Top Bottom