• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Oni Jazar

xBerserker said:
I'm on 5.00 M33-6 now, but when I try to play Patapon 2 it says I must update to version 5.03 or later. :(

Isn't there a way around this? I thought there was a plugin that fakes the FW version?

I have a version.txt plugin and in that file I put 5.03

I'd like to know this too.

xBerserker said:
I'm on 5.00 M33-6 now, but when I try to play Patapon 2 it says I must update to version 5.03 or later. :(

Isn't there a way around this? I thought there was a plugin that fakes the FW version?

NPDecryptor should do it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
xBerserker said:
Grrr, site is blocked at work. I really wanted to play that on my lunch break today. :(

Is the file it's linking to on that site or could someone upload it elsewhere?

check your PM.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
xBerserker said:

BTW I did purchase the game.

I had the same problem, NPDrcrypter did the trick. Game's sooooo awesome! :D

Chris R

So instead of Xenogears I decided to start with Crono Cross... game wont even load, let alone show a loading screen... No clue what I did wrong (even changed the game id to the one suggested in the compat list). 5.00 M33-3 right now, but I guess I'll try to update.

Chris R

B.K. said:
Chrono Cross is almost impossible to get playable.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo :(

I'll be trying to update later tonight and see if that fixes my issues. If not, I'll just be forced to not be able to play before I go to bed like I wanted :(

B.K. said:
Chrono Cross is almost impossible to get playable.

Unless some new bugs have popped up, it works. I played it just fine a few firmwares back, and it's still listed as playable in the compatibility list in the OP. There are some special instructions for 5.00 m33-3 and later, though, so make sure you're following those if you want to get it to play.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Lies!

I created a multi-disc eboot of Chrono Cross and ran through the entire game with no issues not long after I finished CT DS.
I was able to pass all of the major show-stoppers (status screen, Mama Komodo boss fight, Dead Sea / Sea of Eden boss fight, etc.) without a hitch.

Edit - I should day, perhaps, that CC is VERY picky about how you rip the original discs, how you convert them to eboots, and what version of POPS you use to play the game.

Allow thyself to be guided:
http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title=PSX_on_PSP_Compatibility_List#C

No_Style

I haven't been keeping close tabs on the CFW scene and would like to know why CFW is still rolling with 5.00? I recall D.A. avoiding incremental releases if it didn't contain new functionality, is this still the case or is the the latest OFW uncrackable?

Mejilan

I haven't been following much recently, but this is my understanding about how things stand:

1) Dark-Alex almost immediately mentioned that he wouldn't bother with the incremental updates such as 5.02 and 5.03. When 5.02 hit with updated PSN security, he released an incremental update to 5.00 M33-x that restored PSN access to us, without the need for a 5.02 M33. Even with 5.50 OFW out and about, we can still access the PSN with 5.00 M33-6.

2) 5.05 was never touched because it was a UMD-only release, and was never distributed to all users at large. Also, I believe it's just another very minor update, in any event.

3) Not long after 5.50 hit, Dark-Alex spoke up saying that the encryption keys were finally changed, and that current dumpers would not work on 5.50. That said, he also added that it wouldn't pose much of a barrier and that the development of a new dumper shouldn't be too complicated.

This was some time ago, so I'm thinking it's really more lack of interest rather than anything else that's delaying a 5.50 M33 update.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mejilan said:
This was some time ago, so I'm thinking it's really more lack of interest rather than anything else that's delaying a 5.50 M33 update.

Whatever the case is, it is taking too long.

I am waiting to import Idolmaster.

Chris R

Mejilan said:
Lies!

I created a multi-disc eboot of Chrono Cross and ran through the entire game with no issues not long after I finished CT DS.
I was able to pass all of the major show-stoppers (status screen, Mama Komodo boss fight, Dead Sea / Sea of Eden boss fight, etc.) without a hitch.

Edit - I should day, perhaps, that CC is VERY picky about how you rip the original discs, how you convert them to eboots, and what version of POPS you use to play the game.

Allow thyself to be guided:
http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title=PSX_on_PSP_Compatibility_List#C
I tried to follow the guide, using the suggested game id and everything. Guess I have to use a different program to rip the isos.

scitek

Cataferal said:
Still no CFW for PSP-3000's? This HEN boot is a promising start, but I've really been waiting for the real deal...

Not yet. :( But I got my emus up and running! Much better than nothing. TMNT: Turtles in Time on the go. <3

I bought Patapon 2 tonight on my PS3. Went to transfer and got a message that says my PSP is activated with a different account and if I continue with the copying the current activation will become invalid. Is it okay (have latest CFW) for me to use the system activation under account management so I don't get this message anymore?

vesp

sounds like theres some shenanigans that you can pull with versions.txt on your psp's flash to get patapon 2 (US Version) to work on CFW, but I don't really have it all figured out yet, and havent bought the game yet to make me really want to figure it out. I'll probably look into it after friday's paycheck, if someone else hasnt gotten it all figured out by then.

NekoFever

My friend bought Resistance Retribution from PSN and it was complaining that he didn't have 5.50. I just used NP Decryptor to convert it to a standard ISO and it played fine on 5.00 M33-6. I assume that'll work with Patapon as well.

dock

This thread is mighty confusing!

I have a PSP-phat with custom firmware that I haven't upgraded in almost two years. Is there a simple guide of how I can go about this?

No_Style

dock said:
This thread is mighty confusing!

I have a PSP-phat with custom firmware that I haven't upgraded in almost two years. Is there a simple guide of how I can go about this?

A friend of mine was in the exact situation. I went over to Exophase for assistance. Excellent guides there.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
NekoFever said:
My friend bought Resistance Retribution from PSN and it was complaining that he didn't have 5.50. I just used NP Decryptor to convert it to a standard ISO and it played fine on 5.00 M33-6. I assume that'll work with Patapon as well.

Yes it does.

Mejilan

Yeah, I just used NP Decryptor to convert my Patapon 2, Patapon 2 Demo, and Everyday Shooter PSP purchases into ISOs.

Not because I particularly NEEDED to, but just because I wanted to see if I could.
The side-benefit, of course, is that now that they're ISOs, I can sort them into subfolders using the awesome Game Categories Plugin.

Normally, full game downloads/purchases need to be in very specific locations, which doesn't play nice with this plugin. So they all show up in an otherwise unwanted "Uncategorized" category. No more of that rubbish, it seems!

DarkUSS said:
For anyone interested, the Netfront Internet Browser Beta 4 is out.

I tried this on my fat PSP last night and I have to say that the webpages load significantly faster.

I used it with my slim the other day as well, definite speed improvement, though it does freeze for half second or so every so often. It'd be awesome if it could be integrated into the flash.

Erebus

Peronthious said:
I used it with my slim the other day as well, definite speed improvement, though it does freeze for half second or so every so often. It'd be awesome if it could be integrated into the flash.

Yeah, it froze on me too. It would be great if they keep on ironing out the bugs and eventually integrate it into the flash (if possible).

Shouta

Hcoregamer00 said:
:(

Aww, I will have to wait longer to play Idolmaster.

Grr, I might as well buy a new PSP for OFW updates.

It`s playable with a patch now. Rip your disc, add the patch and you should be good to go.

kiryogi

Banned
Shouta said:
It`s playable with a patch now. Rip your disc, add the patch and you should be good to go.

Interesting, you're playing Im@s too? But the shop isn't accessible still with the patch right? I was looking day and night on patches/5.05 CFW stuffs when it first came out. Sigh. Need the job at least to get some of the girls email addresses.

Shouta

kiryogi said:
Interesting, you're playing Im@s too? But the shop isn't accessible still with the patch right? I was looking day and night on patches/5.05 CFW stuffs when it first came out. Sigh. Need the job at least to get some of the girls email addresses.

Don`t think it`s accessible.

I only dabbled in the patched game a bit after ripping a copy I borrowed from a friend just because I was piqued to see if it worked or not having heard it didn`t work. Been playing Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3.

RJT

I read on exophase.com that you can use ChickenHEN to install CFW without a pandora battery on a PSP2000. The guide uses FW 5.03 though, and I have 5.05. Anyone know if ChickenHEN can be used with OFW 5.05?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
RJT said:
I read on exophase.com that you can use ChickenHEN to install CFW without a pandora battery on a PSP2000. The guide uses FW 5.03 though, and I have 5.05. Anyone know if ChickenHEN can be used with OFW 5.05?

No, it only works on OFW 5.03 using a TIFF exploit that only present in that OFW.

Almyn

Last week i got my hands on a copy of Dragon Quest VII and have decided to just rip it to my psp instead of going searching for my modded PS1. For those who have played through it on PSP what is the best way to do things?

Multi disc eboot? What pops firmware is best? I remember hearing about lockups with the game at one point?

Thanks

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am trying to update from 3.52 M33-4 to 5.00 M33-6... Is the update supposed to take a while? I think its been saying "Please wait" for the last 10 minutes.

wtf a custom firmware topic on GAF? I was going to come here to talk about CFW and learn about it, but I did it elsewhere because I was sure that talk like that was banned from here....

Aeana

PseudoKirby said:
wtf a custom firmware topic on GAF? I was going to come here to talk about CFW and learn about it, but I did it elsewhere because I was sure that talk like that was banned from here....
Why would it be?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
he thought probably because it's banned in gamefaqs .. and most gaffers also gamefaqqers .. i assume.

Aeana

chandoog said:
he thought probably because it's banned in gamefaqs .. and most gaffers also gamefaqqers .. i assume.
It's banned on GameFAQs, but talking about pirating games isn't? I see that sort of stuff on individual game boards whenever I glance over there, especially DS game boards.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anyone have some advice? I still can't get it to work.

I am trying to get my battery to full power, but in case there is something wrong with my CFW, would I be able to just downgrade to OFW 1.50, and instantly install CFW 5.00 M33-6?

Top Bottom